Wobbly forks
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Lurker
PX125E
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:41 pm quote
Hi guys,

I am a bit of a noob still when it comes to Vespa's but I like to get stuck in and try to fix things myself. I recently bought and fitted some forks with a disc brake to replace my PX125e's original forks with drum brakes. After fitting the new forks and taking the bike for a ride i notices when i put it on the stand that there is some play with the forks. They almost move from side to side rather then up and down. I was wondering if anyone knew what the problem might be? I think i may not have tightened the forks up enough, its had to gauge when you have to use a hammer and flathead. Does anyone have have any ideas what it might be?

Thanks in advance.
Hooked
BV 350
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:08 am quote
Two choices
You can continue as you are, maybe have the forks fall off and kill you. Or you can find or buy a torque wrench and assemble the parts properly. More than likely the axle and clamps are not sufficiently torqued. Given the leverages involved, everything needs to right on your front end, or trouble will follow.

After you've been wrenching for a few years, can probably estimate torque much more accurately by feel. In the meantime, get a torque wrench, and use it.

Dunno about across the pond, but locally you can buy a cheap torque wrench for about $20. Not the most accurate or durable. But a whole lot better than nothing. I prefer the 'bending beam' type, as they do not require calibration, but they do require more care to use properly.
Lurker
PX125E
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:41 am quote
Thanks for the reply Jim.

I managed to tighten up the forks with a Flathead screwdriver and a hammer.

cheers

Olly
Addicted

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:59 am quote
Wow. Mighthave them checked at a dealer.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.7512s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0666s) ][ Debug on ]