Vintage vespa with sidecar
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...232425...464748Next
Molto Verboso
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:34 am quote
Had to put down the wrenches for a few days and focus on a few items that had stacked up around the house.
Apparently I had been "in the garage" a lot recently.

IMG_3077.JPG
For a grade A repair - you have to Dremel off the tabs so the LED will clock to 3 and 9 to focus the beam. Daughter's car now much better.

IMG_3043.JPG
Thermostatic shower valve - what do they mean "non-serviceable"?

IMG_3046 2.JPG
A little heat for disassembly, a few new O rings, and good as new.

IMG_3080 2.JPG
Bit of Dremel wheel buffing as I re-assemble, just for bonus points

IMG_3065.JPG
Then took a look at the dishwasher. Next thing I knew - I was here. Parts on order - almost as expensive as scooter parts!

IMG_3030.JPG
And finally... back to my happy place. Thickened the area around the motor mounts, and added a grade 10 thick washer with tight tolerance for bolt hole precision.

Ossessionato
1980 P200E , 2005 Stella 177
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:52 pm quote
Seems related...
https://youtu.be/spZtQK37xKw
Molto Verboso
1963 VBB2T

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:33 am quote
Haha I started looking at the pics ignoring the the description under them and was thinking Charlie has gone mad taking apart the dishwasher to get parts?
Good you're staying inline with the honeydoo list, now you can get back to the scoot and have some serious fun.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:58 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Seems related...
Quite amazing! But why would you go to all that trouble and then put those tyres on the front?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
'80 P200E, '76 Primavera 125 ET3. '59 Vespa 150
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:20 pm quote
Ginch wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Seems related...
Quite amazing! But why would you go to all that trouble and then put those tyres on the front?
Because he would look silly riding on bare rims?
Ossessionato
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:11 pm quote
Ginch wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Seems related...
My thoughts exactly. Lots of effort for a really slow vehicle. I was expecting that thing to go flying.
Ossessionato

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:39 pm quote
I was kinda hoping to do a trike project sometime in the future. For now itís just 3 tires and a milk crate...

1867D884-0DF3-4832-9DB1-0D370D92AA2B.jpeg

Molto Verboso
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:20 am quote
Oh those caused a chuckle.
Quote:
But why would you go to all that trouble and then put those tyres on the front?
Fairly sure the answer to that is:
A - because he had some wheels that he thought looked cool - but only two.
B - he is an 11 on the 1-10 fabricator scale, but a somewhat lower number on the common sense scale
C - its fairly clear he is wondering the same thing in the video footage of him trying to ride what he built
D - all of the above

The first part where he does the crazy fab work is remarkable.
The second bit where he is trying to drive it is like a monty python sketch.
What happens if he hits a bump and his hands come off the handle bars?

Anyway - back in my much less capable world of fabrication - I have finished the back mount and motor mounts. Now I am thinking about the front mount and lock out mechanism (to keep it rigid/non leaner).

My plan is to make sure the locked version is a winner - I know I like that - and if I can make it better then it was before (more rigid and precise in adjustment) that would be a big win. If I can make it work as a leaner and find I like that too - that would be a bit of the stars aligning. The tail connection should be a big part of either outcome - as it will allow me to move from a 12"- 15" connection point under the floor board (about a shoe to a shoe and a half to those of you on the metric system) to about 45" - which would give the scooter a lot more leverage over the side car.

Below are a few sketches on top of the chassis. Have posted my concept on another forum focused on hacks - felt a little like cheating. Will see what the cognoscenti have to say and report back.

BTW- Whodat - I thought I had seen that 3 wheeler concept somewhere. Yours would be so much better! I'll send you some heim joints - I owe you one anyhow.

IMG_9600.jpeg
The girl in her natural state. All that silver tubing around the sidecar tub has always bothered me - its in the way - and doesn't provide any protection on the scooter side

Side View.jpg
The patient now in open heart surgery. She's gonna need some silicon and time to heal. Green line represents front connection point on center tunnel. Close look shows heim joint at tail already on

Front view.jpg
Dotted green line will be the portion on the other side of the leg shield - corresponds to green line in prior pic.

Molto Verboso
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:50 pm quote
After a week of fixing other stuff - I finally got the better part of 8 hours to work on the scoot today - the first 6 of which was spent drinking coffee and pondering how the hell I would create a mount that would transfer the load of the sidecar through an M16 bolt in an offset position to the weakest part of the scooter tunnel - the area at the turn from floor to legshield.

Many sketches later - I took the rig out to the drive and pulled out the sander and exposed the metal in the critical areas.
Then I shuffled it back in the garage after a good vacuuming and commenced some high tech FAD design - that would be Foam-core Aided Design in this case...

Will do a more refined next round on the mount mock-up, now that I have the basic concept down. I'm considering how I will tie everything in. The keys are:

1. I want the mount to bolt on - so if I decide to go back to rigid side car - all that will be seen are a few threaded holes - which I will put a dress bolt in.
2. I want the mount to tie in to the motor mounts. How exactly is TBD. I could do an exoskeleton on the under side of the floor board - or... I could create a structure inside the tunnel... Gonna be tricky but I have an idea on that front.

Welcome some kicking of tires/ ideas/ opinions. Feel free to fire em out there so I can ignore them or pretend like I had them already and proudly incorporate them!

-CM

IMG_3177.JPG
The prep work...

IMG_3176.JPG
Shot inside tunnel vertical section (those reinforced areas are for the spare tire connection holes. Beefy! Gonna figure out how to use those).

IMG_3140.JPG
Used a wax pencil to just get a sense of where things needed to be

IMG_3146.JPG
Used a little laser to find dead center - then measured the offset needed to align with mark under floorboard I had made initially

IMG_3170.JPG
First attempt. It's ugly - but I can see plenty of things to improve - and will do a few re-works.

IMG_3173.JPG
The holes for the spare tire mount have those thick lugs inside the tunnel. I could drill and tap them to give additional anchor points

Molto Verboso
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:40 am quote
The current situation...

F01A05A4-2E75-450E-BD2B-20E263B154E0.jpeg

Ossessionato
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:04 am quote
Nice set up. Mine looks like a hurricane went thru it......
Ossessionato
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:17 am quote
charlieman22 wrote:
The current situation...
Oh man that is amazing. I wish I had that much space, and that much organization! Mine's like a rats nest currently!
Molto Verboso
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:24 am quote
Oh man, you guys crack me up.
Picture was intended to show that point in a project where surroundings are in chaos and decisions are at intersection of past point of no return and why did I get so far into this?

But I will take those good vibes as I attempt to weld up a working prototype of the concept over next two days!
Ossessionato
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:33 am quote
I just noticed you got a tripod set up. You planning on filming your work for us to watch? I'm interested in seeing how you build this!
Molto Verboso
1963 VBB2T

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:22 pm quote
Tierney wrote:
Nice set up. Mine looks like a hurricane went thru it......
Iím still cleaning bondo dust.
Molto Verboso
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:14 pm quote
Quote:
Iím still cleaning bondo dust.
Caused a good chuckle.
Quote:
You planning on filming your work for us to watch?
Level of difficulty high enough without filming my catastrophes. Fancy tripod (good eye) stolen from son - used for laser alignment. See pics below.

The good:
Spent the day fabricating mounts with multiple attachment points - so I could assemble and test to see the difference. See pics below.

The questionable:
During the process - I have learned two things about "leaners" I did't know.
- The higher the pivot point, the more scrub you create with the sidecar tire. So I am experimenting with a solution where I snake a connection rod out from between leg shield and front mud guard. We will see...
- Distance of side car from scoot (wide track). Most of the leaners are built with the side car well away from the bike. Not a fan of how that looks - and dont really like the idea of suddenly having an SUV of width. Have some ideas to counter. Put that on the we will see list as well.

Net/net:
It's still a maybe -but I am having a ton of fun fabricating this thing - and I will have a much slicker connection when I am done - even if I determine I prefer to lock the side car rigidly. Kinda excited to try it with the leaning effect!

IMG_3210.JPG
Laid out center and the mount to figure out where everything would go. Here I have started to fabricate the front mount (note - it has moved under the bike!)

IMG_3221.JPG
I created two mounting spots on the front - this will allow me to experiment with height. This will effect how much "steering" I get when I lean

IMG_3227.JPG
My motor - from page 15or so... Been a while since I even pulled it out. Went though my list of things I hadn't completed/ needed to redo - and mounted it to the bike

IMG_3257.JPG
Hung it from the rafters so I could create the lean and experiment with how it would tie in to the side car. - you can see the new front connection bar behind front wheel

IMG_3251.JPG
View of the mount from underneath. Lots of work to do - but now getting to the point I can experiment with geometries. Next up: start hacking in to the hack.

Ossessionato
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:22 pm quote
Second to last photo is that the distance between hack and bike when finally mounted? That's some serious space between them if so. That gonna affect the physics of driving it and it looks like it needs more support between the two.. like another wheel! Really curious how this turns out!
Molto Verboso
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:35 pm quote
Ha! No. I just have the hack off to the side for my own reference.

I may have to go wider - but not full on hummer. Have an idea to limit - perhaps only a few inches more between scoot and car
Ossessionato
'09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:27 pm quote
Wow. I enjoy an involved winter project, but after looking at your's, I've concluded that your's far exceeds mine.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:43 pm quote
charlieman22 wrote:
Picture was intended to show that point in a project where surroundings are in chaos and decisions are at intersection...
Oh man, you really let that place go!!! Why I think I can see what looks like a knee pad that is not in it's specially-marked rotective bag! Embarrassing!

Seeing you take the leaner project this far does give me something of a thrill however! Very cool.
Molto Verboso
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:06 am quote
Willie B wrote:
Wow. I enjoy an involved winter project, but after looking at your's, I've concluded that your's far exceeds mine.
Yeah - I was just repairing a worn drive shaft - somehow got here.

After some house work - will get back to it today and see how I do.
At least it's not boring.
Jet Eye Master
PX221 Malossi, O tuned PX200 and some motorbikes
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:00 pm quote
Certainly not boring. This could be spectacular

Would wheel scrub be reduced if the sidecar wheel tilted too? Just a thought.

Beyond what most would take on. Carry on.
Molto Verboso
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:21 pm quote
Jack - thanks - it was time to take the dive.
Speaking of spectacular dives...
Check the last kid - could be me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4-a8MpZmmM

Spent day in garage.
Unexpected help when Hibbert showed up on the Bajaj out of the blue.
Just in time to help lift the car off the old frame and help me set it down on the mocked up new one.

Made a simple temporary frame - just a few tack welds and straight tubing - and customized the attachment bar at the front using cut and weld so I could snake it out from underneath.
Goal is to make a working ridable sample - and then build final with proper bent tubing to give it nice shape/strength/weight.

Thanks Hibbert for the helping hand.
Oh - and I can confirm - the Blue Bajaj has got some balls.
Smooth and effortless power - great build.

Question for the crowd:
Max lean (gear selector box scrubs) means about 48" wheel base.
42" wheel base would be super slick - but would limit lean a little.
Some pictures below to demonstrate options.
Narrower wheel base is nicer to drive - more nimble in parking lots etc.
Lemme know what you think - how much lean do I need?[/u]

IMG_3263.JPG
Cut wedge shaped section out of connecting bar

IMG_3267.JPG
Bent it closed - easy to do by hand - and then gave it a little weld to hold it together

IMG_3264.JPG
Sneaks out past the chassis and mud guard. You can see the welded bend in the tube just under back edge of mudguard.

IMG_3281.JPG
Temporary frame - tack welded to the connecting tubes. The short middle two tubes allow me to sit the car on them and slide it around to figure out where it belongs fore/aft and distance from scoot.

IMG_3284.JPG
Here is the car about 11" from the scoot chassis = 48" wheel base.

IMG_3285.JPG
Max lean at 11" from scoot / 48" wheel base (gear selector all but scrubbing)

IMG_3291.JPG
Here its about 9" from scoot = 45" wheel base

IMG_3290.JPG
9"/ 45 wheel base max lean.

Ossessionato
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:54 pm quote
are you putting a hard stop on the lean? Cause I am wondering if this thing gets on the road and you lean too far causing your handlebar to hit the sidecar when turning or hitting bumps, etc.. could lead to bad stuff equivalent to like a water bottle rolling under your gas pedal in the car, or kickback on a table saw.

Hate to suggest that stuff but I've never seen anything like this in action and my first thought seeing the handlebar so close to the sidecar on your mockup lean.. made me think of what could happen if the handlebar got stuck while trying to turn and leaning. For that reason, I liked the second lean mockup better! Doesn't look like your handlebars could get stuck against the sidecar if leaned over too far. Also, just noticed the front bar clearance to the leg shield. Im sure you've accounted for it and have better understanding of its clearances, but just wanted to make sure there is no way the frame could get damaged by hitting that front cross bar on a severe lean, or the tire could come into contact with it with a sharp turn.

I worry too much!
Hooked
Bodgerific 150 Super, 50s in progress
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:04 pm quote
I may grow old. I wonít grow up.

Ossessionato

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:17 pm quote
I am enjoying the build...and the brightly lit clean garage. That swimming pool video was pretty funny. I went sk8ing about a month ago and slammed super hard pretty much the same way that that little kid did, so i'm chucking at myself 'cause that's probably how i looked...even though both my shoulders are still in quite a bit of pain.

And as an FYI, wheelbase is the distance between the center of the front and rear wheel (length). Wheel track is the width (on center) between the two wheels on the same axle (or hack in this case).
Molto Verboso
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:34 pm quote
Quote:
are you putting a hard stop on the lean?
Yes.
How: No idea yet.

Craig. That is a spectacular dive.
Hard to say which was braver - the dive or this public posting.
The initial height is impressive - yet - the angle and transition timing are shall we say - somewhat optimistic.

Fantastic!
Quote:
And as an FYI, wheelbase is the distance between the center of the front and rear wheel (length). Wheel track is the width (on center) between the two wheels on the same axle (or hack in this case).
Whodat - good point! Tks.
Perhaps I should start a listing of some of the butchery to date.
Would have to include:
Transfer ports called inlets
Transfer ports called plethora of other stuff.
Same with inlet.
Then of course there was the time I referred to my steering lock as an ignition switch...

Anyone want to pontificate on needed lean?
Ossessionato

Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:11 pm quote
Regarding the lean angle...
I would think that the scooter wouldn't need to lean anywhere close to having the selector box ground out. Yes, a scooter leaning that far over can easily be done with the correct tires, road conditions, and rider experience (and hopefully wearing race leathers too), but with a sidecar attached you might be giving the ol' forearm smash to the passenger. But seriously though, i've rarely if ever seen just someone on a scooter lean it over far enough ON PURPOSE while on the road to ground out their selector box. 99.9% of the time it's on accident and they end up crashed out in the ditch...and that's why i don't think you need maximum lean angle on your setup.

I would also make sure that when testing lean angles that you have your muffler is mounted up. Some hang lower than others.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:12 pm quote
I think the narrower track looks better/more natural, and the number of times you scrub the selector box on the road (as opposed to the track) is very few - unless you have a lot of very low speed hairpins on your favourite rides.

Just a thought - does the toe-in alter at all when you lean? Hopefully not!

Instead of welding that front bar when the time comes, how about having it (mandrel) bent? That way there should be no weak/fold points.
Addicted
bare metal cafe racer
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:23 am quote
Ginch wrote:
Just a thought - does the toe-in alter at all when you lean? Hopefully not!

Think you were away Ginch? The lean steers the sidecar a little. Or do you mean the lean would cause the sidecar to tilt sideways?

I wanna know how the sidecar doesn't nose-dive? How can the frame be strong enough to hold the sidecar up, and yet turn when the bike leans?
Molto Verboso
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:53 am quote
Whodat - thanks. As I ride alone - and turn flat normally - I just have no sense of how much lean is likely needed. Your points noted - and good.

Ginch - Front connection point to bike is higher than rear. This means when I lean the side car steers. Lean right - toe out. Lean left toe in. Just as you suggest. Fully agreed on narrower track. Think I will start there. Really don't want the hack to seem like a distant relative - more like a family member. (could have used wife and girlfriend in that analogy - but one of them might be reading this).

All tubes will be bent properly curvy and sexy on actual build. No cut and weld. This Frankenstein is just to try and figure out where things should go and basic feasibility.

Pheas' - the Frankenstein is just some square tube tacked on like railroad tracks - but the plan is to use DOM tubing properly fit together ( I have a tube notcher I'm kinda psyched to use). The frame should have no perceptible twist or bend when complete. This stuff is crazy rigid. Have a design in mind - but holding that back until I see if this even works.

Project status and outlook below:

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 7.43.41 AM.png
I am here. Imperfect. Hopeful. Every acrobatic possibility still open.

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 7.51.04 AM.png
Trying to avoid here. Turtled. Just trying to avoid the full flop. No wiggle room to spare.

Molto Verboso
Honda elite
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:29 am quote
Yesterday I got to spend a few hours over at charlieman22's garage. Wow it was pretty amazing to see the project and get to know charlieman22 who's obviously determined and capable of carrying out this dream. It was a fun afternoon thank you. Unfortunately on my drive home decided to take the last 8 miles on the freeway. I made about 3 miles at 60 mph before things went bad.

650DA164-8DFF-48AF-8807-84FA83D0EAEE.jpeg

Ossessionato
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:34 am quote
hibbert wrote:
Yesterday I got to spend a few hours over at charlieman22's garage. Wow it was pretty amazing to see the project and get to know charlieman22 who's obviously determined and capable of carrying out this dream. It was a fun afternoon thank you. Unfortunately on my drive home decided to take the last 8 miles on the freeway. I made about 3 miles at 60 mph before things went bad.
Goddammit.. jetting issue lead to seize? Hope not
Molto Verboso
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:41 pm quote
Back from a week of travel.
Have returned to doing questionable work on project rather than giving questionable suggestions on forum.
Better for all of us.

Amazon made some deliveries while I was gone.
Purchased a relatively low cost tube bender that I was excited to try out.
It's no $20K mandrel bender (that suggestion was not missed), but seams to work pretty well.
One down side - and it may be fatal - is the limited curve diameter - we will see.
Also broke out my new tube notcher - that's a pretty nifty tool as well.
Fun day mocking up the frame.

Below is the progress.
Geometries are still a big question.
Need to tune in the "steering" effect of the side car.
Learned quite a bit with what I built today - which is to say - this will all come apart again.
Luckily - most of this is just tacked in place.

IMG_3435.JPG
Sidecar frame before the moment of truth (fatal moment?)

IMG_3441.JPG
All that was left after I did some hacking - basically the rear left quadrant.

IMG_3446.JPG
Used the laser to position it relative to the bike, used lines drawn on the ground to get all the important relative measures

IMG_3448.JPG
'nother shot - like jetting a carb. Wheel placement fore/aft affects turning, as does height of connections, their distance apart, and their relative heights to ea other. change one - all other things change.

IMG_3451.JPG
New tube bender in action - note the buzwangle getting put to use to help determine the bend.

IMG_3466.JPG
First iteration done. All sorts of issues to untangle related to the steering effect - but now I have something to experiment with.

IMG_3463.JPG
Overhead shot shows the connecting portions fab'd on the tube bender. Little wonky - as I was experimenting. Will all come back apart this weekend as I go to iteration II

Ossessionato

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:05 am quote
sweet^^^
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:22 am quote
CM, this looks fricken' awesome! You should be proud! Love this shot!

Molto Verboso
1963 VBB2T

Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:17 am quote
Seems I missed all your progress from the time of the belly flop video, Charlie you are doing a spectacular job. With the new tube bender and welder in hand you should be able to get very creative around the homestead.
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:26 am quote
Fantastic CM! With the amount of work you put out, and the level of detail - I'm almost embarrassed to post anything I'm doing. It all seems lame compared to this project! Good job man!
Molto Verboso
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:55 am quote
Thanks guys.

Three reason's to post:
1. Show off our work
2. Pose questions
3. Show off our work

1 & 3 have a certain effect.
None of us want to post something shoddy.
It raises the bar just that little bit. Healthy.
Little like a medical journal - work all get's peer reviewed!

Now that I have a simple working prototype - I can see where some of the issues are.
I am getting a lever effect from the distance between the rear tire patch on the ground - and the rear mounting point height.
This creates some binding.
Plan to get out the grinder and welder today to rework the temporary rear mount and connecting tubes.
See where this goes.

Having fun!
Addicted
bare metal cafe racer
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:04 am quote
Peer review only works if we can keep up! My brain can't process the physics at play any longer. Looking really good... hope you solve the issues before you quickly - very keen to see the finished result and how it works.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...232425...464748Next
[ Time: 0.2080s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0489s) ][ Debug on ]