Vintage vespa with sidecar
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...252627282930Next
Addicted
Honda elite
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:57 pm quote
wow so impressed Chuck. Never even thought of the swivel at stop awesome!

Is there some kind of quick locking in case you need to get off the scooter how does that work?

Do what Jack221 says for the jetting. For now don't put too much focus on the pilot unless you can't run it but find where 2nd is unridable on the the main jet WOT and then come down. At that point you'll be able to start cleaning things up. You have a different air filter system with the Polini.
Addicted
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:34 pm quote
Hibbert - thanks! Good suggestion. Will run with it.
Locking - stay tuned - McMaster car just delivered a box of clevis heads. Weekend awaits.
Harbinger -thanks for the input. If you think the Ural dealer has problems - take a look at the link below of my test drive II. The scooter leans - so there is no flying the car.

Update:
Took it out and rode it a little.
Bit of learning - and wholly cow.
One challenge: the front wheel comes off the ground a little and skips when I get on it off the light. Jack - I blame you. Thing sounds like it is cutting down trees in the Pacific north west.
Easily cruised at 55MPH today as well - felt very stable.
No question - it is better as a leaner at speeds.

Using the foot pad I added - makes an enormous difference in riding.
Allows me to keep it straight and controlled taking off - though I have to stand on it a little.
Can come to a complete stop without setting foot down - or navigate super tight spaces - i.e. parking lots - by putting one foot on the new foot pad.
Really makes it easy to control - going to enlarge the design for final.

Hmmm - perhaps I should add a disc brake to the hack - and put the pedal on that pad... 🙂

Shot a second vid - you can see a bit of the foot work if you watch my foot on the hack side - also shows me weaving and turning a bit. If you decide to watch - keep in mind you will never get this 2 minutes of your life back.

Enjoy.
-CM

https://youtu.be/ara8dEHOPlc
Addicted
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:44 pm quote
Congrats! That's great!
Molto Verboso
1980 P125X, 1980 P200E , 2005 Stella 177
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:43 pm quote
charlieman22 wrote:
One challenge: the front wheel comes off the ground a little and skips when I get on it off the light. Jack - I blame you. Thing sounds like it is cutting down trees in the Pacific north west.
hahaha! That just made me laugh so hard.

a.)Jack gets everyone going faster. Sounds like there is no problem with weight and torque/power on this thing with new engine.

b.) lumberjack chainsaw.. this is what made me laugh so hard. Love it!

This hack looks so much fun to ride with leaner. I can imagine stiff frame at high speed is probably pretty scary because you are limited in mobility more so than without. Harbinger can probably speak to that.

1 question. Hows the clearance with leaning in towards the hack on tight turns? Floor board ever make contact with the hack frame? Did you ever make a hard stop? I can see how its a completely different driving experience that would take a learning curve as your range of movement is way more limited and you have many other things to contend with now that all this other stuff is on the scooter, compared to us driving our easy little scooter only rides!
Ossessionato

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:05 pm quote
The Cosa scooter has a linked hydraulic front and rear drum brake system. Maybe something like that for the hack? Of course it doesn’t have to be a hydro drum, but it might give you some ideas to work with.
bodgemaster
1963 GL, 1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:31 pm quote
Top marks Chaz. You got a couple more months to work the kinks out before the next Tour de California.
Molto Verboso
PX221 Malossi, O tuned PX200 and some motorbikes
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:25 am quote
You make that look easy to ride. Happy with the geometry?

One thing. How do you park? Doesn't it fall over?

Jetting sounds a mess. Put in exactly the same as hibbert and start from there. Yours will end up slightly weaker but not by much. Vortex better than filter but less tuned iron cylinder.
Ossessionato
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:41 am quote
this is so friggin' awesome, I'm really liking this build. Hopefully, I'll learn a few things as well..
Hooked
1984 PX(BGM187)EFL
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:40 am quote
Wow, CM, this has been such a good read. Loved the commentary and vids too. So, it's time for jetting; good luck with it – slow and steady, and no nasty surprises!
Molto Verboso
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:58 am quote
CM22, tried to find in your thread quickly but couldn't.. what was the timing and blowdown you ended up with on this tuning? Just curious what your at while being able to pop a wheelie! Didn't think you went too aggressive on the timing.
Addicted
Honda elite
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:07 am quote
but is it even fair to call it a wheelie if you have a training wheel?
Addicted
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:20 pm quote
Bit of a catastrophe today.
Will get to that in a minute.
First - few answers responses.

Appreciate the encouraging comments - and some good suggestions/questions. Whodat - I like the dual brake idea. There are some hydraulic splitters. For now I will keep it simple tho.

Swiss - timing target was 123/177/27 - and I got pretty close.
Crank is 123 duration if I recall - and I opened up the inlet as well. The numbers are posted somewhere in here... Keep in mind - I have gearing I set up for the hack - so it will climb a tree in first gear (and sounds like its cutting it down at the same time). 20 tooth clutch gear I think.
Quote:
You make that look easy to ride. Happy with the geometry?
One thing. How do you park? Doesn't it fall over?
Thanks. It is a riot to ride. Surprised how much I like the leaner effect. Was harboring some concerns - but Im not sure I would ever go back now to fixed.

Jack - The geometry was closer than I figured it would be. But I decided I might be able to improve.
I reworked the frame to allow more tilt towards the side car - see front connecting rod below in all its glory. Scoot can now lean wayyyy over. Feels great.
I moved the sidecar wheel forward a couple inches. This helps a lot with the front wheel skipping issue in first when I get on it. Also feels that much more stable. Seems to really have paid off.

I am using a makeshift kick stand - piece of wood - temporarily. Plan is to weld up a tube and put it on clevis joints that pivot from the side car frame - goes up to a connection on the seat, and can be pinned in. It will also lock out the tilt feature when engaged for transport or riding.

Now the bad news - play with fire - gonna singe some hair on your knuckles - or burn your fingers off...

Re-welded the frame to allow upgrades noted above. Ran great.
Came in - decided to grab a bite - then thought - hey - I know - I should go see what kinda top speed it will do. Nothing too harsh - just use the quiet Sunday roads - you know - what could possibly go wrong?

So I put in my latest jetting - and set off.
About 1/2 mile from the house - I heard a weird vibration sound - so I put it in neutral and coasted toward my turn where I figured I would have a quick look.

Just as I got to the side of the road - the engine stopped dead with a clunk.
I don't mean soft seize - I mean stoped dead with a CLACK!
I saw that the screw from my Venturi was missing. Ahh... the rattle!
Then I looked down in the carb - and saw it in all it's glory - jabbed in between crank and inlet front edge.

I have it out now.
I turned the flywheel by hand - and could feel some interference in what feels like the area in between the inlet front edge and the cylinder bottom. I didn't want to turn more.

Basic plan is to order up some new gaskets - and tear motor down while frame is in paint. Resistance in turning is fairly light. I suppose I could assemble and start - and let the crank re-machine any of the surfaces - but there is the matter of that mission chunk of bolt that must be in there.

Shame really - total self inflicted wound. Not the first. Not the last.

IMG_3679.JPG
Pulled to side of road - had planned to strip it down this afternoon to take in for paint.

IMG_3681.JPG
Venturi bolt - trapped by crank leading edge and inlet. Stopped crank dead in its tracks. Maybe one rotation before this happened.

IMG_3682.JPG
Bolt after I got it out - by turning the flywheel backwards with torque wrench. Attached hemostats so that it would not fall in to motor when loosened.

IMG_3683.JPG
Yikes. Sheered off at 45 degree angle likely on first pass of the sharp front edge of the crank. That portion of sheered off likely scratched up the insides of the case

IMG_3689.JPG
on a positive note - my welding is getting better. 🙂

Ossessionato

Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:23 pm quote
OH NO!!!

I would think that the pad on the case has about a 0% chance that it survived. You might have to convert it over to a reed if you want to keep the cases. You might also have to get you crank "trued" after something like that too.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:23 pm quote
Ouch! It's a definite issue, I had an adjuster grub screw on a Vortex fall in... on the freeway at the time. The result was unpleasant. Hope no real damage has happened!
Hooked
1984 PX(BGM187)EFL
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:41 pm quote
That's grim CM; so much for no nasty surprises. Thinking positive, if pad and crank are OK, you'll have increased inlet timings after a clean-up!
That Polini vortex does have a problem with that bolt, especially when you're jetting and need to remove it regularly to change jets. I did a cut-out on back of mine to enable me to permanently threadlock venturi bolt and still remove jets. Maybe you'll be going a different way after damage assessment, but in case you stick with that venturi, you might be interested:

Vortex Cut Out.jpg

bodgemaster
1963 GL, 1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:10 am quote
Crap.

Seems that screw has come loose enough times for enough people that it might be considered a defective design.

I put some mesh under the bellmouth to catch any screws or other large objects that might find their way in there.

94BC64BA-D1F6-40C2-8297-CDBCA6D7B5E7.jpeg

Molto Verboso
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:11 am quote
Man that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. I installed the Venturi on mine the other day when finishing assembly and thought about hearing this happen and decided to remove the Venturi and do without it to avoid that. Hopefully your cases and crank are salvageable. When you get it running again do without the Venturi.. From what I hear, leaving filter off is the same as with Venturi. It adds nothing to performance above no air filter.

I'm sure you'll get it sorted and running in no time!
Hooked
79p200e 66smallstate 85pk50xl 84p125ets 63GL150
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:24 am quote
CM22, first, ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT job on the leaner! Video seeing it in action was amazing!

The screw going down the throat of the carb is pretty disappointing but I know you have the skills to remedy the situation seeing your work. Keep it up.

I paraphrase... heard this somewhere...

'Gentlemen (and ladies), CM22 can rebuild it. He has the technology. He has the capability to build the world's first wheelie-leaner Vespa. CM22s orange leaner will be that scoot. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.'
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:31 am quote
Yeah that does suck, my condolences! However like swiss1939 says I'm sure you will sort it all out.

Yeah I can see the scooter learning, looks "wrong" to me buy at the same time very, very cool and I'd love to pilot that! So I guess you ride it like a motorbike and not drive it like you do a regular hack? Has me wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of the setup are.

It really does look awesome.
Addicted
Honda elite
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:26 am quote
Darn it Charlie! But like sime66 said maybe you just increased the inlet duration. Might be OK and the pad damage is in the center and not on the sides where you need it to seal on the crank. Does the crank turn free now?
Molto Verboso
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:43 am quote
Now thats sad. Just take the cylinder off. If you can't see the end of the bolt just fortget about it. The pad will be damaged but you can fix that next time its split. Amazing what a 2 stoke will eat and not notice.
P200 PX150
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:12 am quote
Balls.

That is an absolute heart breaker. But your skills and attitude set the bar man. I am sure you will have it back and better as fast as they can get your frame back from paint.

Bah. Onward and upward.
Addicted
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:51 am quote
Wow - what a great set of responses to wake up to.
Nice boot over the frustration hump and thinking about next steps.
Thanks all.
Poidog/Swiss - Thanks. Appreciate that.
Birdsnest - "Balls". Well spoken.
Harbinger - it is definitely now more a rider not a driver. Feels (felt) great tho.
Sime - that is a brilliant mod. Yes - thread lock had warn off of course from jetting. That and the moron of a mechanic I have, likely didn't tighten the nut...
SoCal - How nice would it have been to see my bolt lying on the mesh? That combined with Sime's quick removal mod are on my list. Nice touch I shoulda used.
Ginch - wholly crap. That must not have been nice at all. Dumb luck that I had the clutch pulled and was idling when it CLACKED to a stop. Im pretty sure the bolt was bouncing on top of the crank webs like a lottery balls in a machine until it fell nose first and got guillotined. Winner! Lucky I managed to avoid any drama really.
Jack - ha! At this point I don't have much to loose! The unknown is exactly what whodat said about my crank out of true. Based on what I heard - I'd give it 50/50 that it would just start and scrape itself "clean" - and to be clear - Im not above doing exactly that.
Hibbert - I could feel a little resistance when I turned the crank after the trailing crank web closes the inlet. I have not rotated it a full 360 yet as I figured I would sleep on it a night and see what the crowd had to say before I did anything. Just pushed the bike to the driveway and spent an hour cleaning the garage before I pulled it in. Theraputic.

Plan to start tearing down today for paint prep - guessing curiosity will force me to pull the cyl to see what I can see. Pics to follow!
Molto Verboso
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:38 am quote
Stick a magnet in there and see if you come out with anything. You can probably get a good sense of the rotary pad condition from the crank condition once you pull the cylinder off. Should give you an idea on if more extensive surgery is needed.

Sorry again and good luck! Hoping it was minor and usable without tearing engine apart. At least you'll have lots of practice now!
Ossessionato
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:57 am quote
Rats. This was going sooooo well. If it's FUBAR, rather than a reed setup, you may want to pick up a P series engine. Says the guy that does not know squat.
Addicted
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:40 pm quote
Given the seat of the pants R&D (research and destroy) to date - the following post may not create more than a few shoulder shrugs.

"Worked" from home t'day.
Pulled the motor and threw it on the stand.
Took Jack's advice and pulled the jug to see what I could see.

For those that are not at this all the time - it is easy to forget there is basically just a disc shaped sealed cavity with a crank shaft in it, and a short throat leading there, once the cylinder and carb are removed - there is pretty decent access.

Turned out there was no "piece" of sheered off bolt in there.
However, there were many, many tiny little slivers of a sheered off piece of the bolt...

At first, it seemed kinda daunting, but I quickly found that I could use a syringe to spray down the surfaces and wash the bits to the bottom of the cavity - where I could suck them out with the same syringe, and then swab down the extra tiny bits with a Q tip. This got rid of the bulk rather quickly. I kept at this until I couldn't produce any bits to swab any more from any of the surfaces.
Then I cleaned up the inlet edges and polished the crank.

Lump is back in the machine.
My plan: Run it! If it runs well, I'll repair the pad using same method (not split the cases) with a bit of JB weld when scoot is in for paint.
If it has any weird vibration (crank outa tru) when I test it tomorrow - then I'll split the cases and go whole hog instead.

Will find out tomorrow...

IMG_3725.JPG
Example of shrapnel found inside motor.

IMG_3726.JPG
Bits hiding everywhere

IMG_3719.JPG
Pad mostly survived. Bit of scratching - might do a little JB weld clean up on this while chassis is out for paint.

IMG_3739.JPG
Forgot about this little mishap - until I disassembled...

IMG_3712.JPG
Crank before

IMG_3713.JPG
Crank after - web has been polished. Some light scratches remain - but took the raised stuff off

Hooked
1984 PX(BGM187)EFL
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:57 pm quote
Good to see it's not so bad.
From the image of the bolt yesterday I thought it looked more like a few spins of crank before stopping, and a bit of a bacon slicer type cut of the bolt, so lots of little bits is no surprise.

Mmm Bacon.jpg

Molto Verboso
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:01 am quote
Haven't you heard of procrastination? motor out already.

So lucky with the rotary pad. Your mishap is already over and into the ever expanding lessons learnt catagory.

Piston looks a fair colour. Dark to the edges would be nice but good progress. Just copy whatever Hibbert does.
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:19 am quote
Nice recovery - and way to keep a cool head and figuring out a smooth way to clean up all the bits.

You may want to JBweld a small strong magnet onto your drain plug. I'd imagine you'll pick up a few more filings once the engine is running.

I know everybody has been telling you, but I'm going to tell you again too. Your "project" is Flippin Awesome!!!!!!! You've kind of ruined the idea of a regular rigid sidecar for me.
Ossessionato
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:16 am quote
The magnet in the drain plug is a good idea. However, if any of these shaving show up there, that means it had to get by the clutch side seal = not good.
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:32 am quote
Tierney wrote:
The magnet in the drain plug is a good idea. However, if any of these shaving show up there, that means it had to get by the clutch side seal = not good.
Dooohhh - that's correct! Sometimes my brain doesn't think too clearly - I see metal filings - quick, where's the magnet!

Last edited by qascooter on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:38 am quote
charlieman22 wrote:
Harbinger - it is definitely now more a rider not a driver. Feels (felt) great tho.
!
I bet it felt great! It looked like fun to me and while I am lets just mechanically challenged I am pretty damn good around something with 2 wheels or a sidecar. I guess I'm jealous as having something with a sidecar with a bike that leans would be a very interesting experience. I suppose with an actual higher CC, bigger and heavier motorcycle plus larger heavier sidecar it would be very difficult to manage. I mean there has to be a reason that mode is not the de facto setup for a hack? I'm also not a physicist .

Honestly the mechanical skills I read about here on the NSM section amaze me. I used to own and ride a number of "classic" Lammies and Vespas but that was back in the late 80's/90's when they really weren't that old and I had a lot of friends that could help as scooter clubs were way more common back then and we would all help each other.

More pics and videos when done please, this is a great project and something you should be proud of.
Addicted
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:28 am quote
Travel has me off the job for a bit.
But I managed two small rebuilds yesterday before exit.

Two you say? What do u mean Charlieman?

Well - since you asked:
- first, the cases are fine. Somewhat miraculously. And when I say fine, I mean the most recent screw in the works left a couple scratches that don’t have any larger effect than if they were on the front mudguard.

However...
- after clean out and cyl replacement, bolted up and leak down tested - was superb. Started right up and took off on a test ride. About a mile from house head gasket began leaking. Brought home and upon tear down found one of the new cyl studs stripped at top. Also head gasket broken at stud hole. Near cyl brake - but not stress riser caused from brake itself.

Suspect heat expansion caused gasket break? Anyone else see something like this before?!
Head but at that bolt was loose as stud was stripped.

So the question I have to wonder is: do I have some kind of asymmetrical heat expansion that overwhelms the head stud/bolt that will re- occur.

Left to ponder as I travel.

qas: thanks brother - loved ur magnet when I saw it and knew I would follow suit immediately. Ur careful approach to restoration of the beaten back to renewed is awesome.

Harbinger. Thanks! Actually, there is an underground cult following of leaner motorcycle hacks. Big CC and bike work even better*.

Ginch dug it up and posted the concept early on my thread - tho he might have been just trolling me 🙂.

It was the inspiration. I checked it out. Very cool but, with motorcycles, the solution leads to the sidecar further from the bike and very low to the ground. It gives a somewhat disconnected feel in my view.

I wrote it off at first, but came to realize that if u could put the pivot at the tail of a scooter - it would overcome those issues and might be best of all worlds.

Compared to traditional hack - I find it easier to ride! The trick is the foot pad - on the back frame.

C985BE80-F672-40A5-9083-1BA1633EE4B3.jpeg

Addicted
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:33 am quote
Phone so two posts:

BTW. replaced stripped stud, torqued and took for a ride.
Scoot happily crosses the 60mph range. Kinda amazing.
Perhaps not too smart also...

Original inspiration:

AB037F6C-7957-473A-B721-207161C02FD0.png

Addicted
bare metal cafe racer
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:57 am quote
That explains the dog!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:52 pm quote
Whew! Glad you were able to make it work - or else I'd be getting the blame and not the accolades!

That was good luck with the bolt
Bad luck with the stud

I'd say you're ahead at the moment....

HOW!? Do you get MV to display like that on your phone?! I only get the PC version which is painful.
Ossessionato

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:34 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
OH NO!!!

I would think that the pad on the case has about a 0% chance that it survived. You might have to convert it over to a reed if you want to keep the cases. You might also have to get you crank "trued" after something like that too.
Wrong again Whodats...but in a good way!
Molto Verboso
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:48 pm quote
Man you got lucky! Amazing you have it running again so fast after the incident. Impressed again.
Hooked
Bodgerific 150 Super, 50s in progress
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:13 pm quote
Could

a:

be related to

b:

??

C.
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125 + projects
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:47 pm quote
Surviving this kind of mayhem so adroitly may be your subtle back door Engineering Award from the Secret Vespa League official angel. And good on you for the attitude which is required to uncover this kind of good fortune.

Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...252627282930Next
[ Time: 0.1730s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0460s) ][ Debug on ]