Difference between PX200e & PX200
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern 12Next
Author Message
Enthusiast
2009 GTS 300 Super
Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 56
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK
Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:57 pm quote
Hi

Could anyone let me know what the basic difference is between a PX200E and a PX200?

Thanks
Moderator
1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 6973
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:17 am quote
We should make a sticky of this question ..it gets posted a ton.

The P200 evolved a lot over it's lifespan. I believe the P200e represents the first iteration of the P200 ...the "e" just denoting electronic ignition, which neither the P125 or P150 had at this point - both were still points.

The earliest US p-200's had a neutral indicator, a separate key for the column lock and a kill-switch key on the headset... and that's about it.

In 1982-ish they added a fuel gauge. I think they also added locking cowls somewhere around this time . The whole headset changed to accommodate a larger speedo that incorporated a fuel gauge. In '84 or '85 they added the electric start feature. The column lock became one and the same with the key / kill switch.

At some point in there, they switched up the gearbox to be the EFL style as well. Not sure when that happened.

For us yanks, the last of the native US-market P-series ended in 1981/2 when VespaUSA went under, so we don't have a whole lot of ones past that time frame in the country. Occasionally you see an Arcabaleno ( '84-ish and onward Euro market P-series ) running around, but it's usually something that's been imported by an individual or brought over from Canada grey-market.
Molto Verboso
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport
Joined: 23 Sep 2006
Posts: 1443
Location: Iowa
Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:50 am quote
Was there ever a PX200e or did they drop the "e" when they called it a PX?

Perhaps people just add the "e" on the end because they're used to?

Or maybe it's the other way around and there is no such thing as a PX200?

Someone could be advertising the bike for sale and not completely get the model of the bike right in the ad.
nothing at all
Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 9657
Location: westla
Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:54 am quote
i'v never seen a px200e

maybe by the time they made them they were all electronic
Moderator
1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 6973
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 am quote
Yeah ... that's the case ..there wasn't a PX200e that i'm aware of, because by the time they switched to the "PX" prefix, they were all electronic down to the 125cc, i believe.

-Eric
nothing at all
Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 9657
Location: westla
Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:09 am quote
hey eric o wise one

was my et3 the first electronic attempt by vespa
Moderator
1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 6973
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:15 am quote
electronic ignition attempt on a smallframe? I *think* so.

Remember that electronic ignition was a cadillac-like luxury...reserved for their flagship scooter - the Rally 200 and then the P200, until the mid-80's.
nothing at all
Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 9657
Location: westla
Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:17 am quote
what was the first vespa large or small to have it, rally or et3
Moderator
1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 6973
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:23 am quote
The rally got Electronic ignition in 1972. I think they started the ET3 in '76.
Moderator
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Posts: 12959
Location: Paros Island, Greece
Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:39 am quote
Rover Eric wrote:
Yeah ... that's the case ..there wasn't a PX200e that i'm aware of, because by the time they switched to the "PX" prefix, they were all electronic down to the 125cc, i believe.

-Eric
Then is this Euro spec misbadged?



See them badged like this regularly over here.

Al
Moderator
1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 6973
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:45 am quote
Then i'm wrong! I just assumed the "e" was implied afterwards.
Moderator
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Posts: 12959
Location: Paros Island, Greece
Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:00 am quote
Rover Eric wrote:
Then i'm wrong! I just assumed the "e" was implied afterwards.
No sweat. I doubt they ever made it to the States. IIRC, they were produced after Vespa evaporated from there. You are still the guru of US peculiar shifties.

Al
Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200
Joined: 31 May 2006
Posts: 4484
Location: chippewa falls, wisconsin
Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:05 am quote
Aviator47 wrote:
Rover Eric wrote:
Yeah ... that's the case ..there wasn't a PX200e that i'm aware of, because by the time they switched to the "PX" prefix, they were all electronic down to the 125cc, i believe.

-Eric
Then is this Euro spec misbadged?



See them badged like this regularly over here.

Al
i love those seats. i need to get one for my 200.
Enthusiast
2009 GTS 300 Super
Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 56
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK
Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:06 am quote
Rover Eric wrote:
We should make a sticky of this question ..it gets posted a ton.

The P200 evolved a lot over it's lifespan. I believe the P200e represents the first iteration of the P200 ...the "e" just denoting electronic ignition, which neither the P125 or P150 had at this point - both were still points.

The earliest US p-200's had a neutral indicator, a separate key for the column lock and a kill-switch key on the headset... and that's about it.

In 1982-ish they added a fuel gauge. I think they also added locking cowls somewhere around this time . The whole headset changed to accommodate a larger speedo that incorporated a fuel gauge. In '84 or '85 they added the electric start feature. The column lock became one and the same with the key / kill switch.

At some point in there, they switched up the gearbox to be the EFL style as well. Not sure when that happened.

For us yanks, the last of the native US-market P-series ended in 1981/2 when VespaUSA went under, so we don't have a whole lot of ones past that time frame in the country. Occasionally you see an Arcabaleno ( '84-ish and onward Euro market P-series ) running around, but it's usually something that's been imported by an individual or brought over from Canada grey-market.
Thanks for your reply Eric. The P series preceeded the PX series I know. There is definately a PX200 and a PX 200e in the UK as I see them advertised all the time on eBay etc. Just wasn't sure what the "e" denoted but I quess it just means that model has electric start as well as kick start.
nothing at all
Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 9657
Location: westla
Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:08 am quote
Rover Eric wrote:
The rally got Electronic ignition in 1972. I think they started the ET3 in '76.
thats why the rally is so cool

no crazy badging

just all under the skin
Moderator
VNB VSC VBC VSX
Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 4800
Location: Hustletown, TX
Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:13 am quote
Somebody have Tecnica 5 laying around (mines at the casa)? I bet that may have a clue to the time-line and specifics...
Ossessionato
Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 2633

Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:55 am quote
chad wrote:
Aviator47 wrote:
Rover Eric wrote:
Yeah ... that's the case ..there wasn't a PX200e that i'm aware of, because by the time they switched to the "PX" prefix, they were all electronic down to the 125cc, i believe.

-Eric
Then is this Euro spec misbadged?



See them badged like this regularly over here.

Al
i love those seats. i need to get one for my 200.
I had one for sale a few months back..ya missed out!
Ossessionato
Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 3376
Location: pacifica,ca.
Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:31 am quote
Jeremy W wrote:
Was there ever a PX200e or did they drop the "e" when they called it a PX?

Perhaps people just add the "e" on the end because they're used to?

Or maybe it's the other way around and there is no such thing as a PX200?

Someone could be advertising the bike for sale and not completely get the model of the bike right in the ad.
i've got an 82 px200e
Moderator
1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 6973
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:35 am quote
As i said earlier, the "e" denoted Electronic IGNITION, not electric start.
Ossessionato
Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 2633

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:57 am quote
Rover Eric wrote:
As i said earlier, the "e" denoted Electronic IGNITION, not electric start.
electric start....

Seamus1.jpg

Hooked
Yamaha MIO :P
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 488
Location: Jakarta
Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:17 am quote
adding the confusion

My excel is P200XE



Its the original badge
Enthusiast
PX200E
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 84
Location: Glasgow Scotland
Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:26 am quote
jimmyb865 wrote:
i'v never seen a px200e

maybe by the time they made them they were all electronic
I got a 2003 PX200E, there's a shitload of them in the UK.
nothing at all
Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 9657
Location: westla
Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:24 pm quote
steviea wrote:
jimmyb865 wrote:
i'v never seen a px200e

maybe by the time they made them they were all electronic
I got a 2003 PX200E, there's a shitload of them in the UK.
well there you have it

that makes you the pxxl200xez snob o day

imagine3.jpg

Hooked
'80 Bajaj Chetak; '65 Vespa V90; '59 Lambretta Li125
Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 492
Location: St. Louis, MO
Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:43 pm quote
1983/84 is the transition year for P -> PX. They were phased in gradually as the factory ran out of the old parts. The new "PX" scooters were called the "Arcobaleno series" to signify the new improvements. "Arcobaleno" means "rainbow", and you can spot them by their rainbow badge. My suspicion as to why they became "PX---E" is because they added the electronic ignition to the 125/150 engines. Previously, the 125/150 were called "P125/150X", so they stuck the "E" on the end, moved the "X" to the front of all the P-range names, and thus the "PX" was born.
"P" was the scooter model name.
"E" means electronic ignition.
"X" meant it had turnsignals (i'm pretty sure. it wasn't used consistently, like on the P200E, or the P200X)
"elestart" means electric start

With the introduction of the Arcobaleno series:
*electronic ignition was added to the 125/150 engines.
*the EFL gearing was introduced.
*the fuel gauge was added (and the "reserve"position on the petcock was dropped).
*the horncast and headset got more angular.
*the glovebox got larger.
*the front axle was increased to 20mm from 16mm
*the front drum brake was "improved" (or so I hear. it was still pretty cruddy)
*the centermat changed from rubber to plastic.
*the fender crest was widened and changed to plastic.
*the cowl locking mechanism was redesigned so the locking levers were under the seat, to discourage theft.

A couple years later, the electric start was added as an option. On all European models, autolube and/or a battery was an option, not standard. Eventually, the "Arcobaleno" name was dropped, and everything just became PX---E. Even later, the mirrors were moved to the top of the headset, the "E" was dropped, front disc was added, the horncast got more rounded and sported a square badge, and the speedometer and badging got a makeover. (the "Disc" and "Millenium Edition" series)

This badge is from my '87 pre-mix, batteryless PX150E Arcobaleno.


Last edited by Valimagdon on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
nothing at all
Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 9657
Location: westla
Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:58 pm quote
now that is what i call informed
Enthusiast
PX200E
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 84
Location: Glasgow Scotland
Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:39 am quote
jimmyb865 wrote:
steviea wrote:
jimmyb865 wrote:
i'v never seen a px200e

maybe by the time they made them they were all electronic
I got a 2003 PX200E, there's a shitload of them in the UK.
well there you have it

that makes you the pxxl200xez snob o day
I was interested to hear you hadn't seen a px200e jimmy, based on me not knowing how widely distributed they are. I couldn't even tell you how common they are in the states.

Which leads me too my question. Were px200e's targetted to the US market or have they been solely imported on an individual basis? Are there many Americans on this forum riding px200e's.
Moderator
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Posts: 12959
Location: Paros Island, Greece
Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:52 am quote
If I have my Vespa in the USA history correct, Piaggio was out of the US market from 1981 to 2001, so no PX models were formally sold in the US during those years. When Piaggio returned to the US, only the PX150 was offered.

Al
Hooked
PX200 GTS300
Joined: 07 Jul 2009
Posts: 256
Location: Devon
Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:47 pm quote
the badge with the coloured rainbow underneath denote a PX200EFL, this is when they change the horncast etc

also not sure about the 'X; denoting turn signals as my mates P200E has them
Hooked
'80 Bajaj Chetak; '65 Vespa V90; '59 Lambretta Li125
Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 492
Location: St. Louis, MO
Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:16 pm quote
jimmyb865 wrote:
now that is what i call informed
Thanks. I spent alot of time doing research when I first got my PX. I think the only thing I failed to mention was that the stock bench seat was different for the Arcobalenos. The new seat had 2 ridges/lines running around the top of the seat, and it was slighty sloped, w/ harsher angles. It's tough to tell, but if you put the 2 seats side by side you'll notice the difference.

Yeah, I don't remember where I picked that up about the "X" meaning turnsignals. Maybe I read it on an obscure Italian forum somwhere, but it really struck me when I watched the advertisement for the "Vespa New Line" or the P series. Something about how the lights were flashing made me realize you could connect the turnsignals w/ a "X" if you were looking down on the scooter. I could totally be wrong tho. I'd love to find out the answer.
Banned
Joined: 27 Sep 2007
Posts: 1186

Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:56 am quote
I didn't know exactly what "electronic" meant either ...

thank you scooterlounge.com

about the Rally 200:

"The most important was the addition of electronic ignition. This was a first for a Vespa. Electronic ignition had numerous advantages over the traditional points ignition setup used on all previous Vespas.

The main advantage is that the electronic system did not rely on the mechanical movement of the points opening and closing to provide the measured spark to run the motor. This meant that maintenance of the ignition system, was virtually non-existent."

There is a blurb about P200 and PX models, you guys covered it above.
Hooked
Yamaha MIO :P
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 488
Location: Jakarta
Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:39 am quote
mmm what about my P200XE?
Banned
Joined: 27 Sep 2007
Posts: 1186

Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:54 am quote
Robby did you see any of this stuff online about the Vespa Spartan (200XE)?

looks to be an indonesian P200x vespa with a trap headlight ..

most of the info i see online are from the handful of forums you are on!

I guess you should catalog YOUR bike, vin, parts, and functionality and then make a website....

maybe the "e" stands for EXCEL?
Banned
Joined: 27 Sep 2007
Posts: 1186

Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:00 pm quote
is it a T5 type scooter?

Hooked
Yamaha MIO :P
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 488
Location: Jakarta
Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:27 pm quote
dannyw wrote:
Robby did you see any of this stuff online about the Vespa Spartan (200XE)?

looks to be an indonesian P200x vespa with a trap headlight ..

most of the info i see online are from the handful of forums you are on!

I guess you should catalog YOUR bike, vin, parts, and functionality and then make a website....

maybe the "e" stands for EXCEL?
yes I'm Indonesian and my Px is Indonesian made (but its Euro imported Motor)

The thing is I dont see the differences between the P200X, P200XE, PX200E (at least Indonesian PX). I the E stands for Electric ignition, the P200X also had Electric Ignition, if the E stands for Electric starts my excel '88 not equip with elestart...I'm beginning to think that Dan Motors just randomly put a badge on it production line

pre 90's the VIN are the right vespa VIN such VSE1M-XXX-XXX or VSX1T-xxx-xxx
in the 90's their messed with the VIN.. so it wont match if you it at scooterhelp VIN search

I dont think the E stand for Excel, Excel is variant released by Dan Motors, a T5 square head and square arse but with 150 and 200cc (VLX and VSE motor)

the red PX is a Spartan Model a P200. it belongs to a internet friend
Hooked
P200e
Joined: 08 Mar 2009
Posts: 115
Location: Australia
Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:23 pm quote
Roadcaptain wrote:
also not sure about the 'X; denoting turn signals as my mates P200E has them
+1
Lurker
PX200E
Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 1
Location: South Florida
Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:01 pm quote
jimmyb865 wrote:
i'v never seen a px200e

maybe by the time they made them they were all electronic
I have a Px200E 1983
Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 10207
Location: This is't my locker!
Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:12 pm quote
mdsbarry wrote:
jimmyb865 wrote:
i'v never seen a px200e

maybe by the time they made them they were all electronic
I have a Px200E 1983
I'll make sure and tell Jimmy next time I see him.. he's been waiting SIX YEARS for an answer.

Molto Verboso
Lambretta GP200, Vespa P200e
Joined: 10 Jan 2015
Posts: 1183
Location: United States
Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:05 pm quote
jimmyb865 wrote:
i'v never seen a px200e

maybe by the time they made them they were all electronic
Wrong - 84 to 1998 are badged PX200E. The Millenium where badged just PX200. Same thing. All P200 variants where electronic.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/4dd749ecca70b89faf997e2fb9192e79/tumblr_nmc8dpulmQ1sinkkpo1_1280.jpg

then there was the Brasilian made Motovespa PX200E
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2310iganRYs/THP9KfSLLRI/AAAAAAAAAXo/aSavzgrtBfU/s1600/img030_800x599.jpg

and then enter an early Spanish built P series. The P200E DS. No signals, Rally style headset, rally forks and Spanish Femsa Electronic ignition.
In 1981 became the P200E DN with normal P headset, forks and Ducati electronic.
Ossessionato
PX200, Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
Joined: 22 Nov 2011
Posts: 2115
Location: Sydney, Australia
Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:54 am quote
Reading this thread I've realised I have a PX200. I always thought it was a PX200E Never bothered to read the cowl. Vader can you please let Jimmy know?
Lurker
Px 200e
Joined: 17 Apr 2021
Posts: 1
Location: Tulungagung, Indonesia
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:00 am quote
robbyrivai wrote:
dannyw wrote:
Robby did you see any of this stuff online about the Vespa Spartan (200XE)?

looks to be an indonesian P200x vespa with a trap headlight ..

most of the info i see online are from the handful of forums you are on!

I guess you should catalog YOUR bike, vin, parts, and functionality and then make a website....

maybe the "e" stands for EXCEL?
yes I'm Indonesian and my Px is Indonesian made (but its Euro imported Motor)

The thing is I dont see the differences between the P200X, P200XE, PX200E (at least Indonesian PX). I the E stands for Electric ignition, the P200X also had Electric Ignition, if the E stands for Electric starts my excel '88 not equip with elestart...I'm beginning to think that Dan Motors just randomly put a badge on it production line

pre 90's the VIN are the right vespa VIN such VSE1M-XXX-XXX or VSX1T-xxx-xxx
in the 90's their messed with the VIN.. so it wont match if you it at scooterhelp VIN search

I dont think the E stand for Excel, Excel is variant released by Dan Motors, a T5 square head and square arse but with 150 and 200cc (VLX and VSE motor)

the red PX is a Spartan Model a P200. it belongs to a internet friend


IMG-20210218-WA0044.jpeg
Gan, saya punya excel 200 ini, tp kok g ada elektrik staternya y?

  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern 12Next
[ Time: 0.1560s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0359s) ][ Debug on ]