Cant get my PK50 XL to start on kick - Can't figure it out
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Author Message
Member
Vespa PK50 XL
Joined: 21 Sep 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:45 am quote
Hello to the kind people of this forum.

I have a problem with my PK50 XL that i can't seem to figure out. It wount start on kick, but it starts when i run it. And it runs fine, but when i leave it on idle it dies out, so i have to run with it one more time. It has only been run about 5000km.

What i have done:
- Cleaned the carb and airfilter. Checked for leaks
- Toped of with clean fuel
- Changed the sparkplug. Tightened the cable in both ends.
- Checked every wire for cracks and
- Checked the flywheel if its magnetic (and it is)
- Checked inside the flywheel for loose wireing.

Does someone know what i need to do?
Enthusiast
Vespa PK50XL2
Joined: 30 Mar 2020
Posts: 60
Location: Norway
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:49 am quote
I see you are based in Trondheim as well. Are you a member of the local scooterclub (TOSK)? You might get some advice on their fb page. There are a lot of knowledgeable people in the club

Last edited by psgnw on Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Member
PK50XL,PK100S,ET3
Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Posts: 13
Location: UK
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:54 am quote
Hi,

you could turn the tickover up a bit to stop it stalling once its started but that doesnt help with it not starting on the kickstart.

What are the symptoms with the kickstart, is the kickstart engaging with the engine to turn the engine over?
Member
Vespa PK50 XL
Joined: 21 Sep 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:18 am quote
psgnw wrote:
I see you are based in Trondheim as well. Are you a member of the local scooterclub (TOSK)? You might get some advice on their fb page. There are a lot of knowledgeable people in the club
Awsome dude! I will check with them. Thank you for good advice
Enthusiast
Vespa PK50XL2
Joined: 30 Mar 2020
Posts: 60
Location: Norway
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:23 am quote
No problem. There is a few smallframes in the club. I have a PK as well.
Member
Vespa PK50 XL
Joined: 21 Sep 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:34 am quote
Matchlessman wrote:
Hi,

you could turn the tickover up a bit to stop it stalling once its started but that doesnt help with it not starting on the kickstart.

What are the symptoms with the kickstart, is the kickstart engaging with the engine to turn the engine over?
This is me yesterday, the scooter sounds like this:


Last edited by oyvlos on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Enthusiast
Vespa PK50XL2
Joined: 30 Mar 2020
Posts: 60
Location: Norway
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:36 am quote
Video is not working.
Member
Vespa PK50 XL
Joined: 21 Sep 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:54 am quote
psgnw wrote:
Video is not working.
try this: https://www.youtube.c o m/watch?v=cSUxwRstywA (remove the space from .c o m)
Enthusiast
Vespa PK50XL2
Joined: 30 Mar 2020
Posts: 60
Location: Norway
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:18 am quote
Where is the groundwire from the CDI (should be connected somewhere on the engine)? Have you checked that the wires to the CDI is seated well?
Member
Vespa PK50 XL
Joined: 21 Sep 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:40 am quote
psgnw wrote:
Where is the groundwire from the CDI (should be connected somewhere on the engine)? Have you checked that the wires to the CDI is seated well?
Itís screwed to the frame where the red arrow is

F12F71A4-0A1F-44AD-9677-6D7A1B97B0A5.jpeg

Enthusiast
Vespa PK50XL2
Joined: 30 Mar 2020
Posts: 60
Location: Norway
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 am quote
Aha! Have you checked that you have a spark? Wet plug after kicking?
Member
Vespa PK50 XL
Joined: 21 Sep 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:57 am quote
psgnw wrote:
Aha! Have you checked that you have a spark? Wet plug after kicking?
Yes, the plug feels and smells of gasolin

AB2A021B-1927-4F9A-9D4F-D5FCDEE72CD1.jpeg

Member
Vespa PK50 XL
Joined: 21 Sep 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:57 am quote
psgnw wrote:
Aha! Have you checked that you have a spark? Wet plug after kicking?
Yes, the plug sparks, and feels and smells of gasolin
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2269

Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:36 pm quote
oyvlos wrote:
Matchlessman wrote:
Hi,

you could turn the tickover up a bit to stop it stalling once its started but that doesnt help with it not starting on the kickstart.

What are the symptoms with the kickstart, is the kickstart engaging with the engine to turn the engine over?
This is me yesterday, the scooter sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSUxwRstywA&feature=emb_logo
Member
PK50XL,PK100S,ET3
Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Posts: 13
Location: UK
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:29 am quote
That almost looks as though its going to start at the start of the video. Are you using any throttle when kicking it over? and, is the choke on?
Member
Vespa PK50 XL
Joined: 21 Sep 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:37 am quote
Matchlessman wrote:
That almost looks as though its going to start at the start of the video. Are you using any throttle when kicking it over? and, is the choke on?
I know, hehe that is why is so frustrating. I used the choke and gas, yes
Member
PK50XL,PK100S,ET3
Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Posts: 13
Location: UK
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:12 am quote
Just re-watched the video, Where is the key? is it switched on?
Member
Vespa PK50 XL
Joined: 21 Sep 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:10 am quote
Matchlessman wrote:
Just re-watched the video, Where is the key? is it switched on?
It is, the key is broken, so i have to start it using a flathead
Member
Vespa PK50 XL
Joined: 21 Sep 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:12 am quote
Could it be these brushes inside the flywheel?

2B90B9C4-5576-473C-A379-3FEDF84D26D8.jpeg

Enthusiast
Vespa PK50XL2
Joined: 30 Mar 2020
Posts: 60
Location: Norway
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:04 am quote
Don't mess with the positioning of those before you know what you are doing.
Molto Verboso
Vespa
Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Posts: 1168
Location: California
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:17 am quote
is compression good?
Member
Vespa PK50 XL
Joined: 21 Sep 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:03 am quote
hibbert wrote:
is compression good?
The compression is good i think. Just have problems starting on kick
Molto Verboso
Vespa
Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Posts: 1168
Location: California
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:26 am quote
could be so many things like air leak. Might use starting fluid to see if it can start may reveal ignition or fuel problem.

Last edited by hibbert on Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jet Eye Master
PX221 Malossi, O tuned PX200 and some motorbikes
Joined: 14 Jun 2017
Posts: 2401
Location: London UK
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:02 am quote
try another cdi
Member
Vespa PK50 XL
Joined: 21 Sep 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:28 am quote
hibbert wrote:
could be so many things like air leak. Might use starting fluid to see if it can start may revel ignition or fuel problem.
Thank you. Am i to use starting fluid on the carborator then? How do i figure out if its fuel og ignition?
Molto Verboso
Vespa
Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Posts: 1168
Location: California
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:38 am quote
Provided there are no leaks and engine is good if it fires up on starting fluid then dies it's fuel related. If it does not fire maybe ignition. Give a squirt into the carb and see.
Member
Vespa PK50 XL
Joined: 21 Sep 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:35 am quote
hibbert wrote:
Provided there are no leaks and engine is good if it fires up on starting fluid then dies it's fuel related. If it does not fire maybe ignition. Give a squirt into the carb and see.
I have now tried with starting spray, but no differens. No start, no change. Still runs ok when i run it working. But sometimes it dies out when idle
Addicted
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '66 Allstate SF, '64 VBB, '66 180SS
Joined: 27 Mar 2013
Posts: 696
Location: S.Salem, NY
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:42 am quote
Check compression with a gauge. What does it read ?
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2889s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0894s) ][ Debug on ]