"357", a RatRod...
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
Addicted
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '66 Allstate SF, '64 VBB, '66 180SS
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:57 am quote
Looks fine to me. I totally understand the apprehension before mixing the paint and pulling the trigger on the gun and I put it off until I get the nerve to proceed. It always seems to work out in the end, but still....... I think I am going to try a satin or slight matte clear next time.
bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x 2), 74 Primavera (x 2), 06 Fly 150
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:01 am quote
Ha, yes, it definitely takes a bit of courage to finally mix the topcoat and start spraying. Looks great so far, nice work Craig.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:33 pm quote
Probably time to change the title of the thread. Just sayin'
Hooked
Bodgerific 150 Super, 50s in progress
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:21 am quote
If, as you squeeze the trigger and start laying the first pass of colour onto a vehicle, you think "Hmm, not sure if I like this colour...", stop. If you don't like it then, you won't come to like it later. I was really happy with the paint job, but I just couldn't live with the colour. I loved how Buff's colour looked, but this black was just, well, wrong.

I looked at it again and again. In the sun, inside, with a seat on it, lotsa looks. But it just looked like a Vietbodge, no matter what I did. After all this work, I just couldn't leave it like that.

So, after taking some advice from the paint shop, I waited till day 7, bit down hard on the bullet, took a bucket of suds and a dozen sheet of 800, and scuffed back the clear.

I let it gas out overnight, then washed it 4 times, and dried it down.

Hung it up, started laying coats of Buffy's bright platinum over the scuffed up clear. Beautiful. Except as I laid on the 3rd coat of base, a lesson in paint kicked in. Let it really gas out. In two places it hadn't gassed out fully, and it completely orange peeled and then bubbled. I should have known, because when I was cleaning it with wax and grease remover, it looked different in both those spots.

Yikes.

New plan was needed, and fast. In the end, I ran almost 8 liters of thinners through the paint gun, and hosed all the silver, all the clear, and (almost) all the black onto the floor.

Sadly, I washed through the primer in a couple of spots, so I had to deal with that. More sanding, painting, and sanding before I could go again.

The next few days consisted of keeping at it in when I could, and I ticked off the work needed to be ready for paint again.

Sanding.††Tick.

Priming.††Tick.

Sanding (again) Tick.

Priming rub thru's.††Tick

Sanding (gently). Tick

Washing.††Tick.

Degreasing. Tick.

Tack rag.† Tick.

That was this weeks spare time, and it was back to paintable condition.

Time for a nice new colour.† Something a little darker than†Buffy's bright platinum, but not that 'orrible black.

Last night after work I hung it up, wax and grease removed it one more time, tack ragged it, and then†laid on a first coat.† "Light", "delicate", "mist", and similar words were my mantra.† And it looked, well, not awesome.† There was a fisheye right on the side of a cowl, and a really weird curved pattern showing in the paint above the other one.† Cue my internal monologue.

"First coats†often look ugly.† It'll be right, I'll go to the edge of heavy in those areas on the next pass, and it'll all work".† (Denial)

I did just that with the second coat.† the fish eye started†to wash out, but the curved†stripe wasn't better, and if anything, it was worse.

"Fark, fark, farkity FARK!† This things gonna kill me.† Why do I even bother?† If I cross pattern the next coat it better come out, and it doesn't, I'm gonna cut the damn thing in half..." (Anger)

So I tried that.† Cross pattern, and way too much paint.† And the slightly noticeable†pattern turned into a butt ugly, loaded with pigment and flake, never ever gonna go away, massive sag.

"Stay calm.† Maybe it's fixable.† Maybe I can just rub that bit off, and if I get really lucky, I can run some extra coats an it'll be ok.† It wont be great, but if I'm happy to accept a lessor result, maybe I can save it."(Bargaining)

Out came the clean rags, some reducer, and a delicate touch.† And I†completely ruined it, just like I knew it would.† Just like I knew sanding it would.† But I piled even more basecoat on, again and again, with each coat making the rest of the bike look great, and the eyesore look shatteringly bad.††

"Jeezus.† It's just getting worse.† Lets face it, the reasonable jobs I've done till now were flukes.† I may as well pay someone else to paint it."(Depression)

Out came the big tin of thinners, lots of rags, and a of gloves.† And off came the basecoat.† Again. In fact, Yet again! 90 filthy, smelly minutes.

"Breathe deep.† It'll be ok.† It's still ready for colour and clear.† Fatigue is a factor here.† Leave it for the night, with some sleep, it will be better tomorrow."†(Acceptance)

Having failed again, I went home, slept and headed back this morning before going to work.

Refreshed, I stayed calm, stayed clean, and stayed clinical.

The 'orrible black is gone, 4 coats of metallic tungsten gray is on and†covered in another 4 coats of clear, and I'm much happier.

I'm looking forward to cutting it down tomorrow and seeing it in the sunlight.
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:45 am quote
It's amazing! I love that color, too!

I think when you roll it into the sunlight, all the misery you went through to get to that point will melt away.

I'm jealous of both your paint skills and your persistence in refusing to give up until it was exactly what you wanted.
Hooked
Bodgerific 150 Super, 50s in progress
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:52 am quote
Cheers CMan.

Really happy with the sunlight inspection. Buffy went out and caught some paint hardening rays too.

Now there's just 20 odd other parts to paint!
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 150
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:45 am quote
Gt6MK3 wrote:
Cheers CMan.

Really happy with the sunlight inspection. Buffy went out and caught some paint hardening rays too.

Now there's just 20 odd other parts to paint!
Great colour,

Wife and I do our own house painting, we were painting our living room a two tone brown. The first round half a wall later, stood back, bottom is to dark. Tried the lighter brown paint for the upper area, it was to dark also. Took a few iterations of mixing in some lighter paint to get good colours also a few gallons of light tan paint.
Ossessionato

Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:09 am quote
Gt6MK3 wrote:
If, as you squeeze the trigger and start laying the first pass of colour onto a vehicle, you think "Hmm, not sure if I like this colour...", stop. If you don't like it then, you won't come to like it later. I was really happy with the paint job, but I just couldn't live with the colour. I loved how Buff's colour looked, but this black was just, well, wrong.

I looked at it again and again. In the sun, inside, with a seat on it, lotsa looks. But it just looked like a Vietbodge, no matter what I did. After all this work, I just couldn't leave it like that.

So, after taking some advice from the paint shop, I waited till day 7, bit down hard on the bullet, took a bucket of suds and a dozen sheet of 800, and scuffed back the clear.

I let it gas out overnight, then washed it 4 times, and dried it down.

Hung it up, started laying coats of Buffy's bright platinum over the scuffed up clear. Beautiful. Except as I laid on the 3rd coat of base, a lesson in paint kicked in. Let it really gas out. In two places it hadn't gassed out fully, and it completely orange peeled and then bubbled. I should have known, because when I was cleaning it with wax and grease remover, it looked different in both those spots.

Yikes.

New plan was needed, and fast. In the end, I ran almost 8 liters of thinners through the paint gun, and hosed all the silver, all the clear, and (almost) all the black onto the floor.

Sadly, I washed through the primer in a couple of spots, so I had to deal with that. More sanding, painting, and sanding before I could go again.

The next few days consisted of keeping at it in when I could, and I ticked off the work needed to be ready for paint again.

Sanding.††Tick.

Priming.††Tick.

Sanding (again) Tick.

Priming rub thru's.††Tick

Sanding (gently). Tick

Washing.††Tick.

Degreasing. Tick.

Tack rag.† Tick.

That was this weeks spare time, and it was back to paintable condition.

Time for a nice new colour.† Something a little darker than†Buffy's bright platinum, but not that 'orrible black.

Last night after work I hung it up, wax and grease removed it one more time, tack ragged it, and then†laid on a first coat.† "Light", "delicate", "mist", and similar words were my mantra.† And it looked, well, not awesome.† There was a fisheye right on the side of a cowl, and a really weird curved pattern showing in the paint above the other one.† Cue my internal monologue.

"First coats†often look ugly.† It'll be right, I'll go to the edge of heavy in those areas on the next pass, and it'll all work".† (Denial)

I did just that with the second coat.† the fish eye started†to wash out, but the curved†stripe wasn't better, and if anything, it was worse.

"Fark, fark, farkity FARK!† This things gonna kill me.† Why do I even bother?† If I cross pattern the next coat it better come out, and it doesn't, I'm gonna cut the damn thing in half..." (Anger)

So I tried that.† Cross pattern, and way too much paint.† And the slightly noticeable†pattern turned into a butt ugly, loaded with pigment and flake, never ever gonna go away, massive sag.

"Stay calm.† Maybe it's fixable.† Maybe I can just rub that bit off, and if I get really lucky, I can run some extra coats an it'll be ok.† It wont be great, but if I'm happy to accept a lessor result, maybe I can save it."(Bargaining)

Out came the clean rags, some reducer, and a delicate touch.† And I†completely ruined it, just like I knew it would.† Just like I knew sanding it would.† But I piled even more basecoat on, again and again, with each coat making the rest of the bike look great, and the eyesore look shatteringly bad.††

"Jeezus.† It's just getting worse.† Lets face it, the reasonable jobs I've done till now were flukes.† I may as well pay someone else to paint it."(Depression)

Out came the big tin of thinners, lots of rags, and a of gloves.† And off came the basecoat.† Again. In fact, Yet again! 90 filthy, smelly minutes.

"Breathe deep.† It'll be ok.† It's still ready for colour and clear.† Fatigue is a factor here.† Leave it for the night, with some sleep, it will be better tomorrow."†(Acceptance)

Having failed again, I went home, slept and headed back this morning before going to work.

Refreshed, I stayed calm, stayed clean, and stayed clinical.

The 'orrible black is gone, 4 coats of metallic tungsten gray is on and†covered in another 4 coats of clear, and I'm much happier.

I'm looking forward to cutting it down tomorrow and seeing it in the sunlight.
So what brand of paint was on there that bubbled up on you? And which specific line of paints were used?
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:11 am quote
Beautiful GT! Just beautiful!
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa PK50XL2 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:50 pm quote
Stunning, both of them. Loving your colors!
bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x 2), 74 Primavera (x 2), 06 Fly 150
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:09 pm quote
Have had painterís remorse a few times myself and know the only cure is to redo it. No matter how much you stare at a color you donít like it doesnít get any better.

I think the second color is more interesting. You also now have the benefit of more paint on the scoot, and probably also a better finish. The black was essentially an extra coat of primer.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:04 pm quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
The black was essentially an extra coat of primer.
It would have been if he didn't have to take it all off!!
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
[ Time: 0.1719s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0240s) ][ Debug on ]