Questions re: RAM X-Grip phone mount for GTV handlebars
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
1986 Honda Elite 150 (sold), 2009 Scarabeo 200 (sold), 2007 GTV "Pazzo"
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:16 am quote
I'm on the verge of getting a RAM X-Grip phone mount to mount my iPhone (a 6S) on the exposed metal handlebars of my GTV but have some GTV=specific questions (which as far as I can tell haven't been addressed in most RAM mount posts here, which deal with the GTS handlebar configuration).

First the basic info. The entire package seems to consist of 4 parts:
#1 a RAM rail-base with a U-bolt which clips on/around the handlebar, and a round attachment ball
#2 a double-socket Arm, which connects the rail-base to the actual X-Grip
#3 the X-Grip itself (correctly sized for my phone, doh)
#4 a safety Tether, to keep the phone attached to the Grip instead of flying free in the event of any equipment failure

My specific questions are -

With regards to #2, the connecting Arm, in comes in 2 sizes - longer (3.7"), and shorter (2.4"). The shorter version is slightly pricier (who knows why).
I've attached photos of both so you can see what they look like. Which size do you think would work better with the GTV's handlebars?

With regards to #1 (the rail-base), it comes in either Zinc-coated metal or Stainless steel - the Zinc a little cheaper, the Stainless a little pricier - they look identical --- are there any long-term downsides to the Zinc?

What are your thoughts on this, fellow GTVisti?

RAM-B-201U_longer.jpg
the longer double-socket connecting arm

RAM-B-201U-A_shorter.jpg
the shorter double-socket connecting arm

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:45 am quote
I think it dependson personal preference on exactly what you want the attached item to be.
Hooked
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:58 am quote
cdwise wrote:
I think it dependson personal preference on exactly what you want the attached item to be.
I agree with you, cdwise

Unfortunately I don't really have any personal preference one way or the other - but am hoping for some practical feedback from people who have used similar set-ups on their GTV handlebars --- and (hopefully) might be able to tell me what works for them, or what doesn't, or what they might recommend.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:40 am quote
FWIW, I have both and which I use depends on what I've got in the ram mount. Granted I ride a GTS but I do the same switching on my other scoots/motorcycles so I don't think it is makes much difference whether you are riding a GTS or GTV on which you want to use.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:46 am quote
Just can't put my $800 phone on one of those. What if you drop the bike even at a stop, the phone is going to go flying out of the X-Mount.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:54 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Just can't put my $800 phone on one of those. What if you drop the bike even at a stop, the phone is going to go flying out of the X-Mount.
I put my iPhone X in one but with a tether and a military spec drop case on it. Though to be honest the best case I ever had for mounting an iPhone to a bike was the Lifeproof iPhone 6 case that locked using its own mount not the Xmount. I also have AppleCare.
Lurker
2006 250 GTSie
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:39 pm quote
I don't have much specific input to your questions, but I do with RAM. I use one for my iPhone 8 when at the race track in my car. I've never had an issue with it. It holds very well and has never failed.

I was going to try to get the parts to adapt it to my GTS, but I've decided to try the QuadLock mirror mount.
Hooked
2009 GTV 250
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:08 pm quote
I used this mount on the left brake on my GTV. I can get pics after work.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-309-1CHU

Edit: I splurged on the chrome mount and chrome double socket (short size), to match the GTV bling, but both are available in black for considerably less.
Hooked
2019 GTS 300 Touring
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:52 pm quote
Just last night I was looking for ideas on where best to place a Ram ball mount.
Came across a video from Scooter West that was helpful.
Take a look here:
Paul
Hooked
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:17 pm quote
roadscum wrote:
Just last night I was looking for ideas on where best to place a Ram ball mount.
Came across a video from Scooter West that was helpful.
Take a look here:
Paul
Thanks, Paul. This is helpful.
jjhenry5 wrote:
I used this mount on the left brake on my GTV. I can get pics after work.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-309-1CHU

Edit: I splurged on the chrome mount and chrome double socket (short size), to match the GTV bling, but both are available in black for considerably less.
Thank you, jjhenry5
PDX Scoot Scoot wrote:
I don't have much specific input to your questions, but I do with RAM. I use one for my iPhone 8 when at the race track in my car. I've never had an issue with it. It holds very well and has never failed.

I was going to try to get the parts to adapt it to my GTS, but I've decided to try the QuadLock mirror mount.
Thank you, PDX Scoot Scoot
cdwise wrote:
FWIW, I have both and which I use depends on what I've got in the ram mount. Granted I ride a GTS but I do the same switching on my other scoots/motorcycles so I don't think it is makes much difference whether you are riding a GTS or GTV on which you want to use.
Thank you, cdwise
Maybe the moral of the story is that it's nice to have a mounting system which can be used on multiple vehicles. I hadn't actually thought of that but it makes a lot of sense
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:41 pm quote
I have both the longer and shorter double socket arms on my GTS (yes, not a GTV, but...) - both work just fine. I use an X-Mount on one and a camera mount on the other. Easily interchangeable, if desired. I have mine mounted on the mirror stalks, but either would work fine as a handlebar mount, too.

Because you can adjust the angle, you don't have to go just "straight up" with those arms. The one I have my phone mounted on is angled in just a bit to keep the phone behind the windscreen.

There have been a couple times I have forgotten to snap the tether in place, and the phone hasn't moved a bit.
Hooked
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:49 pm quote
Captain Jim wrote:
I have both the longer and shorter double socket arms on my GTS (yes, not a GTV, but...) - both work just fine. I use an X-Mount on one and a camera mount on the other. Easily interchangeable, if desired. I have mine mounted on the mirror stalks, but either would work fine as a handlebar mount, too.

Because you can adjust the angle, you don't have to go just "straight up" with those arms. The one I have my phone mounted on is angled in just a bit to keep the phone behind the windscreen.

There have been a couple times I have forgotten to snap the tether in place, and the phone hasn't moved a bit.
Thankxxx Captain Jim ! your answer is truly helpful ... and I'm going to make the plunge. Appreciate your input.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:30 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
I so worry about that same thing for my $1200 phone (iPhone x/256 GB)

Miguel
2017 GTS Super
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:14 pm quote
If you drop your bike the phone is the least of your worries, use the tether.

If you have any thoughts about bar end mirrors the standard M8 RAM ball mount will fit in your existing mirror mounts. I understand an M8 nut will be required for proper spacing. Going this way on my bike. All the goodies from SIP showed up this afternoon.
Hooked
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 pm quote
Being the OP or Original Poster, I appreciate the words of concern from both WEB-Tech and Miguel about potential damage/s to my iPhone from unforeseen road damages - but I tend to agree more with Mr. Thompson's comment - that in the event of an accident, my cell phone is truly, the least of my worries. I also have to agree with his comment that in many cases, the protective 'tether' may (hopefully) keep the phone from flying away.

I've actually taken the trouble to read through hundreds of comments on Amazon from actual users of RAM-Mount X-Grips on motorcycles and scooters and the truth is, statistically speaking, s**t occasionally happens. There is no perfect guarantee of safety and I have accepted that; what really interests me more (why I started this post in the first place) was curiosity about other owners' opinions as to what they like or don't like about their respective X-Grips.

I'll take the safety question one step further and confess that every time I get on my scooter and ride out on a street or highway, I have mixed feelings - both of exhilharation and enjoyment (as in: 'damn, this is fun!') and also a small dose of spine-tingling fear since I've experienced enough semi-close-calls from car or truck drivers who literally didn't see me...that I'm just happy to survive.

In that sense, probably, getting any kind of smartphone mount may not be the smartest survival strategy - since merely having one more cool tiny screen to occasionally glance at - might mean that in those micro-seconds when I was glancing down at my iPhone, I might momentarily neglect a potentially dangerous change in traffic around or ahead of me. So, my Inner Paranoid-Self asks my Risk-Taking-Self if he's really sure that he needs another 'distraction'?---

And my answer to myself is: I think so...and I hope I can live with it.

But yeah, I also get it wouldn't be any fun to lose my iPhone - and the statistical truth (from scores and scores of mini reviews on Amazon & other sites) is that, occasionally, X-Grips fail - and your smartphone falls or goes flying and winds up toast or a brick.

Moral of the story for me: when you go out, keep your eyes open and look down the road

man-rides-on-a-vintage-scooter.jpg
Life sure was easier before we had smartphones ... wasn't it?

Vespa GTS 300
Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:32 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Three thoughts:

1. Seriously? When you think about an accident your first thought is the phone? Reminds me of me in my early 20s... crashed my NX650 due to a patch of freaking grapes on the ground mid curve... got up, bleeding from both my knees and a foot and the only thing that was on my mind was "please tell me I didn't trash my favorite leather jacket"

2. Dropping at a stop is extremely unlikely to release the phone from the RAM holder at least if you're using the rubber thinghie. In a more dynamic crash where the vespa is moving at the time of the collision... that's not good for the vespa and for the you but the phone probably prefers that kind of collision where the forces happen in all 3 dimensions vs only along the Z axis. I've dropped my phone and learned that the best thing to do is kick it mid air to add a significant forward component to it's motion... besides I can think I'm Ronaldo while I do it. Only times I've seen iphones die in a fall was from even short heights falling straight down on the screen.

3. Forgot my 3rd point but It was a good one. Oh yeah... get a Wells Fargo credit card and use it to pay your cell phone bill... automatic protection for your phone(s) free of charge
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:57 am quote
Actually my concern was not dropping the phone or a crash but destroying the phone from the shake, rattle and impulsive shock it will take being mounted on the handle bars. Also you are blasting it with dirt and road debris. But honestly I've not looked into it. And if I was interested, I'd be looking for reviews of how my specific phone survived after 1000s of miles. I bet some of the cannon ballers could help with that answer.

Another possible answer is to just get a motorcycle-specific GPS.

I also agree with you Miguel about diverting attention away from driving. Just my opinion.

Cheers
Miguel
Hooked
2009 GTV 250
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:37 am quote
With the tether, I trust the X-grip, but most of the time I don't bother. I don't need to see a map except for longer trips in unfamiliar areas. I've got a communicator, so I can get audio GPS directions with the phone in my pocket if needed.

Anyway, here is how my mount looks:

20180827_170829.jpg

20180827_170921.jpg

20180827_170942.jpg

Hooked
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:28 am quote
jjhenry5 wrote:
With the tether, I trust the X-grip, but most of the time I don't bother. I don't need to see a map except for longer trips in unfamiliar areas. I've got a communicator, so I can get audio GPS directions with the phone in my pocket if needed.

Thanks for the pictures, jjhenry5! they are most helpful, appreciate it!
Btw, I love the color of your GTV
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:38 am quote
Looks good and they are pretty rock solid when it comes to gripping iThings (and others). I find the issue with the iPhones is the battery gets sucked if you have Google Maps up. I keep meaning to get the USB knee pad adapter. Longer trips though I usually use the C650GT for that has a Garmin GPS plugged in. With the Vespa I tend to get by with a Sena and the turn by turn directions in my ears. I can and have used the Garmin on the Vespa when needed, 4 hours battery life.

I wish that little GPS made for scooters would come to NA. Blows my mind that is hasn't though. Don't they want to make money? I mean the mapping is already done so how much work would it take? I think it's the Zumo or something like that?

Canada does constantly get screwed though by products not coming here so I guess I'm used to it.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:23 pm quote
EDIT: I see you have exposed round handlebars. This company also has mounts for those regular round handlebars. I thought you were mounting on the "body" of the handlebar area.

This mount worked great on my MP3's handlebars. They sell smartphone cases that clip onto the mount. Very secure.

http://www.interphone.com/en/products/accessories/spare-mount-for-scooters/34089

SSC_01_MAIN_HR.png

Last edited by Vintage1 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:26 pm quote
Mr. Thompson wrote:
If you drop your bike the phone is the least of your worries, use the tether.

If you have any thoughts about bar end mirrors the standard M8 RAM ball mount will fit in your existing mirror mounts. I understand an M8 nut will be required for proper spacing. Going this way on my bike. All the goodies from SIP showed up this afternoon.
Not if it just falls over and your phone goes sliding across the asphalt
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:24 pm quote
FYI, I was out on the BV today with my iPhone X in the mount. With the move of the on/off button from the top to the side when I was on a bumpy road an SOS was sent out. Apparently if you press the button 5 times quickly it will auto send an SOS to your emergency contacts. It was very secure in the mount but in the years I've owned an iPhone it had never happened to me before so I thought I'd let you guys know.
2017 GTS Super
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:00 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Not if it just falls over and your phone goes sliding across the asphalt
The tether should prevent this however there is always Murphy's Law.
Hooked
2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:10 am quote
jjhenry5 wrote:

Hi, what brand of mount is this? I havent seen chromed bases bt RAM.
Hooked
2009 GTV 250
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:40 am quote
ValVitola wrote:
jjhenry5 wrote:

It is also from Ram: https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-309-1CHU
Hooked
1980 P200E in progress, 2005 Stella 2T
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:58 am quote
https://www.wish.com/product/5b8560fe8bf2491632ed5448

works perfectly. includes usb charging port, and a ball end with a tab that has a hole for mounting by bolt to a surface. I just went and bought a ram mirror bar mount adapter to install on the mirror bar instead of at a bolt with the included mounting hardware. The official ram bar mounting part I purchased was as much as this whole knock off ram phone mount system from wish.
Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:26 am quote
I have the setup on my GTV with the longer connector. It give me a lot of flexibility positioning the phone or GPS. Also went with the stainless u-bolt because I live close to salt water and have had rust issues with plated parts.
Addicted
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2012 GTV 300 Espresso, 1956 VL3
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:44 am quote
Miguel.... I use the X mount between my GTV & GTS. Also have long & short. Both work. I feel the short is more stable. Be aware... The ball mounted to the X mount WILL fail. The phone ended up in my lap twice. Tether wonít protect this issue. Ram sent a replacement both times. Good customer service. Hopefully they strengthen the bridge between the ball and the X mount.
Hooked
2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:24 am quote
jjhenry5 wrote:
ValVitola wrote:
jjhenry5 wrote:

It is also from Ram: https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-309-1CHU
Thank you I hadnít seen the chrome line! I have two Rams on my LXV, the black ones, one for my iphone with a short arm and one for my gopo with a long one. Both set at the mirrors. I will buy this chromed one for my GTV. Thank you!
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.4126s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0640s) ][ Debug on ]