What does the homeless man in your town/city ride?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Addicted
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:27 pm quote
The man that panhandles outside my office rides this Burgman 400. He bought it with insurance money from the crash of his previous scooter.

BC2D54F1-1A5F-4D3D-A037-1729C8A3AB4F.jpeg

Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:17 am quote
e-bikes - lots and lots of e-bikes riding in the bike lanes.
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:33 am quote
the bus
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:35 am quote
Our homeless guy rides a shopping trolley.

I think most of our panhandlers aren't homeless.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:40 am quote
Pan handles and homeless are not necessary the same.
I'd say most panhandles have a roof over their heads at night.
Addicted
lx 50
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:39 am quote
So are you implying he’s not homeless, but a professional
begger?

If so then that’s a professional beggers ride pictured......not a homeless person.

The homeless people in my town.....and there’s a lot, have nothing except a couple of bags and maybe a tent donated to them.
Addicted
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:02 am quote
Before this descends into a homeless/panhandler definition debate, the point is it is amazing that a person riding this bike is panhandling because he says he’s “homeless” his words not mine. He is clearly not a man in dire need but someone with a different out look on life...
Ossessionato
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:04 am quote
Budz wrote:
Before this descends into a homeless/panhandler definition debate, the point is it is amazing that a person riding this bike is panhandling because he says he’s “homeless” his words not mine. He is clearly not a man in dire need but someone with a different out look on life...
Yes, but the real question is does he claim it as income when he does his taxes?
Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie, GTV 250
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:03 am quote
Been 20-30 years, but saw an older guy panhandling during rush hour here in Charlotte at a very busy intersection. At the end of his shift he walked to a brand new BMW automobile and drove off. I followed him and watched him pull into a driveway of a very comfortable house, probably worth a half million dollars back then. I stopped and asked him what was going on and he was a retired guy that found when he put on his old clothes to work in the yard he could stand for an hour or so at this busy intersection and collect tax-free money from "do-gooders." I'll never forget it and saw him at that same intersection often after that.

I know there are some deserving folks that could use a hand up out there, but this little experience has convinced me that I shouldn't "help" just anyone. Be careful-there are organizations in your community that makes it their business to find the more deserving.
Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:37 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
e-bikes - lots and lots of e-bikes riding in the bike lanes.
Same story in my area. In passing a homeless food depot, the number of e-bikes is astounding.
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(37,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(9,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(28,000)
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:45 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Pan handles and homeless are not necessary the same.
I'd say most panhandles have a roof over their heads at night.
Most of our panhandlers live in the woods. Home is where the heart is
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:49 am quote
People on the fringes are there for all kinds of reasons.
But the children are all there for the same reason.

O.S.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:44 pm quote
Most of the "homeless" panhandlers around here ride stolen bicycles.
Ossessionato
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:29 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
Most of the "homeless" panhandlers around here ride stolen bicycles.
You never know it could be they were pros but the drugs got the better of them. Lance turned out OK by maybe the rest not so lucky and all they have left is the bike?

In all honesty yeah the stolen bike issue is a big problem in a lot of cities.
saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:29 am quote
I know that what I'm about to write is going to sound preachy... and for that I apologize in advance.

But homelessness is an issue that, IMHO, can only be joked and bantered about if one has never been close to the financial edge (or been pushed over). I've been guilty of joking about the issue in the past ("They're not 'bums', they're 'urban outdoors-men'"), but I have since witnessed far too many unfortunate people living and dying on the street in many of the countries I visit on business.

According to Maslow's Hierarchy of human needs (https://www.coachilla.co/blog/the-new-hierarchy-of-needs), the two most basic requirements on the pyramid are physiological (food, water and rest) and safety (security, shelter, protection from the elements and attack), both of which are conspicuously absent from the lives of homeless people.

Homelessness can happen for fiscal or mental health reasons, and is a global problem; although the way countries deal with it varies widely. The only nearly universal aspect is that almost nobody chooses to be homeless.

And yes, some people appear to be homeless (or deliberately portray themselves that way) as a ploy to solicit donations, but in fact have access to shelter and security.

Most of us aren't equipped to make any long-term difference in the lives of the homeless, so I would suggest actively supporting legislation and government initiatives in your country to mitigate homelessness and its causes.

Over the past decade, my country has been able to reduce its homeless statistics to just over 1,800 individuals (out of a population of 8.5+ million), through a combination of social welfare safety net, universal healthcare, legislation that makes it nearly impossible for banks to evict those whose mortgages have been foreclosed due to joblessness or mental health issues, and even a monthly stipend of 1000 shekels per individual (approximately $275 USD) for anyone who is truly homeless.

We all hear stories about 'homeless' people who are scamming the system and living large off the generosity of others (and yes, riding nice scooters).

I've personally never actually seen such a person.

5a54826fc4b16a00015d3789_5a2e8a0189ff870001e03b91_Maslow_nv.png

Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:17 am quote
It's been a long time since I last toured the States but I was astounded by the number of people I met who were homeless. Obviously it depends on your definition of homeless but I'd meet nice folk living in old vans or small tent villages in the woods where the kids had been born in the tents. These weren't scary folk but people who'd just slipped through the cracks. They often worked in nearby towns but just didn't make enough to pay rent.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:11 am quote
robinm wrote:
It's been a long time since I last toured the States but I was astounded by the number of people I met who were homeless. Obviously it depends on your definition of homeless but I'd meet nice folk living in old vans or small tent villages in the woods where the kids had been born in the tents. These weren't scary folk but people who'd just slipped through the cracks. They often worked in nearby towns but just didn't make enough to pay rent.
I don't have stats, but I think there's definitely been an uptick. In some areas hit hard by the last financial crisis, particularly the home mortgage part, many people lost homes, and some just never made it back. We do an abysmal job of managing severe mental health issues, IMO, which has been problematic since we decided to get ride of mental institutions decades ago.

Seems we've taken too much of a Darwinist approach, and blaming the homeless for their own plight is pretty common. To me, it's shameful to see tent cities in one of the richest countries in the world. It was a bit shocking to me to arrive in New Delhi and see people camped along the street in the diplomatic quarter years ago. Other than a nicer array of shelter materials, it's hard to see much of a difference.
Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:02 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
robinm wrote:
I don't have stats, but I think there's definitely been an uptick. In some areas hit hard by the last financial crisis, particularly the home mortgage part, many people lost homes, and some just never made it back. We do an abysmal job of managing severe mental health issues, IMO, which has been problematic since we decided to get ride of mental institutions decades ago.

Seems we've taken too much of a Darwinist approach, and blaming the homeless for their own plight is pretty common. To me, it's shameful to see tent cities in one of the richest countries in the world. It was a bit shocking to me to arrive in New Delhi and see people camped along the street in the diplomatic quarter years ago. Other than a nicer array of shelter materials, it's hard to see much of a difference.
We experience the same situation in Canada. The absurd display of wealth on one hand and the abject poverty on the other.
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 HPE
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:54 am quote
Homelessness has become a major issue in the Los Angeles area. To our credit, we have voted to tax ourselves to try to make this better. So far we are working through the NIMBY issue and there have been some creative approaches to housing. It will get better, but the underlying economic and social issues remain.

Thanks, Trepp, for mentioning Maslow. His hierarchy is an important contribution to psycology.
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:15 pm quote
For some reason, there's really no tradition of panhandling around here. It's been "imported" here just, say within the last 10-15 years mostly by Romanian visitors... who ride here in vans during summer to camp out, panhandle, and unfortunately, to steale a bit of this and that.

So old vans is the answer to the first question....

We are, still, lucky to have quite small amount of homeless people, some thousands (of our tiny population ~6 milj. people). Almost all of them have bad alcohol and/or drug problems - not all, but most.

Our winter can be really bad for homeless, and if you'll accept, you'll always get somekind of a roof over your head paid by tax money. But those are tricky places to live: difficult to get rid of alcohol/drugs as you're not among the best role models... so some don't go to them because of this. And because one should not drink/take drugs when living in these, some won't stay there, but go to woods instead to booze freely.
Hooked
BV 350
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:59 am quote
The van
We have a problem with panhandlers hanging out at major intersections and Interstate off-ramps. As we have a number in my neighborhood, have observed them being picked up and dropped off by a van, so evidently they are organized. Granddaughter observed one with the typical sign "Homeless, hungry, anything will help" standing in clean, nice clothes, smoking a cigarette, listening to tunes on his earbuds and iPhone. She observed "He doesn't look that poor to me". Got to talking to one of the 'homeless' spending the day in the local park, and he told me he made $50-100 in a half-day of panhandling. Did it a couple days a week, it covered his cigarettes and alcohol.

A library I frequent is the home-away-from-home for many homeless. Overheard one tutoring another one as to the routine. Breakfast at the shelter, bus over to the library, lunch served by a church across the street, afternoon at the library, bus back to the shelter. Incidentally, the director of the main shelter strongly advises people NOT to contribute to the panhandlers.

Frankly, we spend a lot more time, effort, and money on the homeless than we do for at-risk kids. I'd like to see that change.

FWIW, that same shelter recently instituted a "zero-tolerance" policy for drugs and alcohol. You can show up high or drunk, but you can not actually drink or do drugs on their property, or you'll be kicked out for the night. Local advocates are protesting.
Ossessionato
GTS250
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:31 pm quote
Most of the homeless around here ride reconfigured Lime and Ofo dockless bike sharing bikes. The re-configuring defeats the built-in locks.

Some time ago (but probably before the Great Recession), a journalist interviewed a pan handler in Phoenix who, around the holidays, could make over $200/day begging. Why work?
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.3390s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0518s) ][ Debug on ]