Motorcycle knees
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(40,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(9,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(28,000)
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:23 pm quote
Checking my avatar, I have 72,000 scooter only miles. So how come my knees are hard to keep together? When it's cold, "close your legs dammit." When it's raining, "Hey, your knees are wet, close your legs dammit." When I'm tucking for less wind resistance, you guessed it, close your legs dammit."
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:28 pm quote
Same on a motorcycle, you have to keep your legs pulled in too.
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(40,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(9,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(28,000)
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:55 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Same on a motorcycle, you have to keep your legs pulled in too.
I've got >150,000 motorcycle miles. There's a gas tank between your knees on a MC. I guess you don't get my point of discussion.
Ossessionato
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:56 pm quote
Ha! Old habits die hard. Opposite for me, though. When I ride a bike, my knees hug the tank. On a scooter, it's about the same, knees almost touching.
Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:34 pm quote
Re: Motorcycle knees
breaknwind wrote:
Checking my avatar, I have 72,000 scooter only miles. So how come my knees are hard to keep together? When it's cold, "close your legs dammit." When it's raining, "Hey, your knees are wet, close your legs dammit." When I'm tucking for less wind resistance, you guessed it, close your legs dammit."
Might need some physical therapy, work on your hip flexors, quads, abductors, and adductors. Muscles atrophy with age and disuse.

I had the same problem on my Majesty. My legs would start to quiver after about an hour and I couldn't keep my knees tucked. Working to strengthen my leg muscles helped. I don't notice it so much now on the Vespa.

Just my .02.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (Sold)
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:38 pm quote
I'll check on the way home but I think my knees are about the same whether I ride a bike or a scooter. On the scooter they don't touch but I certainly don't have a man spread.
Ossessionato
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:45 pm quote
It's not that I can't, I just have to remind myself. I don't sit wide legged when I'm in a car/van seat. Just checking if anyone else has to remind themselves.
Could be the floor boards instead of foot pegs. I'm also constantly checking foot position. I'd think force of habit would prevail after 70,000 miles
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:13 am quote
Always seems that use of a kilt is problematic with air flow....
Hooked
'04 Stella 2T GB150 '15 Genuine Roughhouse 50 '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:38 am quote
My wife doesn't have any problems with closing her legs, no matter the mood or environment
Ossessionato
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:07 pm quote
waspmike wrote:
I'll check on the way home but I think my knees are about the same whether I ride a bike or a scooter. On the scooter they don't touch but I certainly don't have a man spread.
The front of the seat protrudes between my thighs so my knees are as far apart as the edges of the legshield (LX). Can't get them closer without a conscious effort.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:08 pm quote
Ride side-saddle.
Hooked
Vespa GTS 150 3v SUPER. Vespa V100 x 1. Lambretta Li150 x 1. Px 125 x 2. Px 200 x 1 (red bull special) T5 Classic x 1. Vespa Cosa x 2.CF moto 650mt
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:17 pm quote
RoaringTodd wrote:
My wife doesn't have any problems with closing her legs, no matter the mood or environment
Ossessionato
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:21 pm quote
^ That is how Aspirin works as a contraceptive?

Woman squeezes an Aspirin between her knees and keeps it there.
Addicted

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:38 am quote
[quote="breaknwind"]It's not that I can't, I just have to remind myself. I don't sit wide legged when I'm in a car/van seat. Just checking if anyone else has to remind themselves.
Could be the floor boards instead of foot pegs. I'm also constantly checking foot position. I'd think force of habit would prevail after 70,000 miles [/quote.
I agree. Foot position is important. I have to intentionally put my knees closer. ]
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:59 am quote
Man-spread. It's a thing.
Hooked
1974 Vespa Primavera 125, 1980 Bajaj Chetak
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:41 am quote
Never an issue for me, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that I ride a vintage bike and like to keep my legs/feet positioned to require the least amount of time to reach the brake pedal.
Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:51 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Ride side-saddle.
Or something like this?

A56B38AC-2EC3-40B7-A80E-D916F57B2C81.jpeg

Hooked
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:20 am quote
^^^^^ Quezzie does this all the time on her GTS on long trips ^^^^^
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:45 pm quote
Bazziemoto wrote:
^^^^^ Quezzie does this all the time on her GTS on long trips ^^^^^
As far as I'm concerned, Quezzie is Deadpool. (Just a lot better-looking, IMO.)

As far as knee-position/manspreading/et al, this is how I find myself riding half the time:

VESPA-GTS-300-Super-7786_2.jpg
Hey, he's not blocking anyone else's seat here...

Enthusiast
GTS 300
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:59 pm quote
I ride w the left leg tucked and foot pushed back, easy to put down. My right foot always hangs off the front edge of my floorboards and my knees in the wind. Too many years of riding scoots w rear brake pedals.
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:50 pm quote
waspmike wrote:
^ That is how Aspirin works as a contraceptive?

Woman squeezes an Aspirin between her knees and keeps it there.
I can think of a few coupling positions that would still be possible...

As for the knees together, I cannot get my knees closer than about six inches apart. There's man stuff in between my thighs.
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:42 am quote
I believe it makes more sense to have your feet on the edges like in the picture above. You can use transfer weight much easier while steering and that should result in safer cornering. If the weather is really crappy then I keep my feet in as far as possible so my slippers don't get wet.

[edit]Talking about the picture above, I don't think it's a good having the feet that far back. It might look sporty for the photo but it messes with the weight distribution between the two wheels - scooters are heavy enough over the back wheel so moving body weight further back can't be a good idea.

Last edited by robinm on Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Addicted

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:56 am quote
Slippers?
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:32 am quote
robinm wrote:
I believe it makes more sense to have your feet on the edges like in the picture above. You can use transfer weight much easier while steering and that should result in safer cornering. If the weather is really crappy then I keep my feet in as far as possible so my slippers don't get wet.

[edit]Talking about the picture above, I don't think it's a good having the feet that far back. It might look sporty for the photo but it messes with the weight distribution between the two wheels - scooters are heavy enough over the back wheel so moving body weight further back can't be a good idea.
first paragraph i agree...second paragraph i don't...i mean have you ever watched any type of two wheeled moto/scooter track racing where they need to control the vehicle as efficiently as possible?...you have more control with your feet as far out as possible and under your torso or behind cause you can shift your weight from side to side easier by using your feet/legs to weight one side of the vehicle or the other and slide your ass from side to side...you can't do that easily with your feet in front of you...there is even a method of putting a leg out to the side to initiate a turn

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:25 am quote
Wide is more comfortable. I don't understand why you'd WANT to pull your knees together.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:34 am quote
Paddlenround wrote:
Wide is more comfortable. I don't understand why you'd WANT to pull your knees together.
shorts + bee

last year when i bought my scooter was the second time i had rode a scooter (first was a trip to marthas vineyard)...automatically threw a leg over it instead of through and was looking to put my feet on pegs...it's taking a little getting used to
Ossessionato
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:12 pm quote
Point37 wrote:
first paragraph i agree...second paragraph i don't...i mean have you ever watched any type of two wheeled moto/scooter track racing where they need to control the vehicle as efficiently as possible?
I'm not a racer but I believe the idea of having your feet at the back is to give yourself more lean angle. In scooter racing I'd imagine the whole idea is to hold onto speed when going through corners so you need that maximum lean. The GTS corners quite well but, when you really go for it, either the centre stand or the side stand start scraping the road. So adopting the racing "look" on a scooter for the road doesn't really gain you much.

Other reasoning for having the feet forward is that you can shift weight easily to the front tyre in extreme braking - I tend to lift myself a little out the saddle in emergency stops which means the weight is going through my feet and biased towards the front tyre (which needs the grip). It also lowers the centre of gravity on the bike (usually a good thing). The secondary reason is it's far more comfortable! I guess racers don't need to do emergency stops and they rarely need to swerve round random drivers so they can afford to just concentrate on max lean angle.

That's my thinking anyway
Hooked
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:53 am quote
See, I occasionally put my left leg back, but it's mostly just so i'm not staying in the same position. I also find that the handlebars are low on my vintage bike, and even though I'm not tall, I tend to slouch to reach them comfortably, so shifting my feet back helps me lean forward to reach them, while keeping my back straight and relieving pressure on my lower back. City riding, though, my right foot is always forward near my brake pedal.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:03 am quote
robinm wrote:
Point37 wrote:
first paragraph i agree...second paragraph i don't...i mean have you ever watched any type of two wheeled moto/scooter track racing where they need to control the vehicle as efficiently as possible?
I'm not a racer but I believe the idea of having your feet at the back is to give yourself more lean angle. In scooter racing I'd imagine the whole idea is to hold onto speed when going through corners so you need that maximum lean. The GTS corners quite well but, when you really go for it, either the centre stand or the side stand start scraping the road. So adopting the racing "look" on a scooter for the road doesn't really gain you much.

Other reasoning for having the feet forward is that you can shift weight easily to the front tyre in extreme braking - I tend to lift myself a little out the saddle in emergency stops which means the weight is going through my feet and biased towards the front tyre (which needs the grip). It also lowers the centre of gravity on the bike (usually a good thing). The secondary reason is it's far more comfortable! I guess racers don't need to do emergency stops and they rarely need to swerve round random drivers so they can afford to just concentrate on max lean angle.

That's my thinking anyway
racers shift weight and lean into turns more so they can keep the bike more upright to maintain a larger contact patch between the tires and the asphalt so you're really not leaning the bike more...less in fact...

moving your feet to the front under hard braking would help brace yourself but a majority of the braking power comes from the front so i'm not sure i'd want to shift too much weight forward due to grater chance of going over the handlebars...

moving your feet forward or back on the floorboards doesn't lower your center of gravity since your feet/legs aren't changing their vertical height...it would shift your center of gravity forward/backwards a little though...for the most the upper part your legs are staying in the same location the only part that's moving is from the knee down which is what maybe 5lbs each leg (10lbs total) over something that's a total of approx. 220lbs dry + 170lb my weight = 390lbs...maybe 2.5% of the weight moving around

Ossessionato
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:31 am quote
I started writing a post to try and explain it all to you but I just ran out of steam - I guess I didn't really care that much. If you want to know the truth then why not ask your instructor about the pros and cons of riding with your feet in the racing position. In the mean time we'll have to just agree to disagree on the subject.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:01 pm quote
robinm wrote:
I started writing a post to try and explain it all to you but I just ran out of steam - I guess I didn't really care that much. If you want to know the truth then why not ask your instructor about the pros and cons of riding with your feet in the racing position. In the mean time we'll have to just agree to disagree on the subject.
riding around on typical local roads i honestly don't think it matters what you do with your feet on a scooter but i believe there are advantages to both positions in certain situations...

legs/feet anywhere close behind the front plastic if you want to keep out of the weather...

feet should go forward under extreme braking which i agree with (which i assume would be instinctual for most) cause it's not a motorcycle and you don't have a tank in your crotch to keep you in place (only your arms) should you need to brake hard so you could slide off the front of the seat and take a tumble...so for that instance i agree feet should be or go forward...

but if you're having fun trying to carry speed and ride smooth around a turn without the need to brake before the turn or inside of the turn (which is a no no anyway) i don't see anything wrong with doing what's depicted in the photo...or if you need to maneuver around something in the road like a car or the numerous potholes we have around here it gives you a little more control for quick maneuvers...

but i don't believe either foot position is "not good"...they both have their uses under certain situations...the question is which situation has the potential to arise more frequently where you're located...

but that's just my opinion...so agree to disagree
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.5131s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0825s) ][ Debug on ]