Propping the Underseat Bucket
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:57 am quote
I've seen the recommendation to prop the bucket with the gas cap to avoid overflow gas going into the bucket. If I do that, and overfill the tank, won't I have gas sloshing on a hot engine?

I know....just don't overfill the tank. But, if it does happen, is that propping method a good idea?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:06 am quote
Works for me. I usually don't overfill but if you do the odds are it wont be much. The other option is gas in your pet carrier and anything that's in it and that is not fun.

I have of course had small overfills but it's never been a problem using this method.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:20 am quote
You'd be pretty hard pressed to spill that much fuel, and even if you did the vast majority should run right off. If concerned, tilt the scoot from side to side to clear things and then let any residual gas evaporate for the next few minutes.

Then don a Nomex suit and try starting the scoot.

Last edited by Jet Peddler on Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:26 am quote
I've been doing it, just because....

Other option might be to put a rag next to it to catch spillage.

Having had an unfortunate overflow incident, I can assure you that the gasoline drenching doesn't automatically burst into flames......
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:52 am quote
fledermaus wrote:

Having had an unfortunate overflow incident, I can assure you that the gasoline drenching doesn't automatically burst into flames......
Bummer, you gotta admit that would be pretty cool! You could shout Opa! While it happened.

*EDIT* Yes I'm bored. Home sick and watching YouTube videos about the Russo-Japanese war while the snow comes down outside.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:48 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
fledermaus wrote:

Bummer, you gotta admit that would be pretty cool! You could shout Opa! While it happened.
Well, I was prepared to shout a few other things.
Harbinger wrote:
*EDIT* Yes I'm bored. Home sick and watching YouTube videos about the Russo-Japanese war while the snow comes down outside.
Thank goodness we've moved on from colonoscopy discussions....
Addicted

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:03 pm quote
Yup. If you overflow your tank you willbe the butt of all those jokes!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:18 pm quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Ok, that's pretty funny. Worthy of a rim shot.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, S 150, GTS 250
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:00 am quote
propping up the bucket will prevent you from forgetting to tighten the gas tank back on, which would be a disaster.
Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere down South, in the engineering dept at Starfleet's UK HQ
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:19 am quote
Yep it's ok to prop the underseat storage compartment, as has been said. Gas on even a very hot engine will not ignite. You need a spark or open flame to do that. Strange but true!

One of my friends was enveloped in a flash fire on a garage forecourt some years ago when refuelling his car. He luckily was not hurt, just somewhat singed from head to toe. What he had done was stupidly talk on his mobile phone whilst refuelling, something that is prohibited over here. You must either turn off your mobile or leave it in the car.

Many folks think it's the mobile phone signal itself that ignites the fuel, but it isn't. The danger comes from the mobile phone signals exciting the molecules in the air around you. If you are wearing certain types of clothing, the excited molecules discharge 'static' electricity onto your clothing. This means if you earth yourself at any point during the refuelling, a small spark can occur and ignite the 'gasoline vapour' around you with obvious results. If you are really unlucky the fuel in your tank will also explode killing everyone around you, and of course...errrrr...you also!
Hooked
GTS 300 Touring
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:29 am quote
I propped the pet carrier with the petrol cap too. Fuel in the carrier stinks and it's not easy to deodorise it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:57 am quote
Re: Propping the Underseat Bucket
WiscScoot wrote:
I've seen the recommendation to prop the bucket with the gas cap to avoid overflow gas going into the bucket. If I do that, and overfill the tank, won't I have gas sloshing on a hot engine?

I know....just don't overfill the tank. But, if it does happen, is that propping method a good idea?
As long as your engine is under 538 you are fine
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:37 pm quote
I have a small towel with a centre cut out to fit over the petrol cap.
Fill petrol carefully but if there is a spill the towel does its job. Its handy having a rag available for any other needs e.g protecting your hand from the muffler when inflating the rear tyre .

IMG_20190131_080320345.jpg

Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:38 pm quote
Sledge wrote:
Fill petrol carefully but if there is a spill the towel does its job. Its handy having a rag available for any other needs e.g protecting your hand from the muffler when inflating the rear tyre .
I like that idea!
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:57 pm quote
WiscScoot wrote:
Sledge wrote:
I like that idea!
So, if you have used it to wipe up a fuel spill, where would you put it...?

In the underseat bucket... or toss it?
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:57 pm quote
If the gas station doesn't have paper towels, I keep a couple in the bucket under the seat - I roll them and tuck 'em around the fuel filler neck. If a few drops spill on it, no big deal, and I toss it in the garbage by the fuel pumps.

I do lift the rear edge of the bucket and put the fuel cap in there, to keep any spill from getting in the bucket.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:33 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:

Good question. I think I'll reflexively drop it into the pet carrier...I don't worry too much about some fuel on a rag as I do gas sloshing around other stuff. If it's really saturated, yeah, I guess I'd toss it.
Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:40 am quote
fledermaus wrote:

I keep a towel close and while I rarely overfill, I put the towel in the section between the fuel tank and the pet carrier. If it happens, the towel keeps it from anything getting wet with gas.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:21 am quote
Paddlenround wrote:
fledermaus wrote:

I keep a towel close and while I rarely overfill, I put the towel in the section between the fuel tank and the pet carrier. If it happens, the towel keeps it from anything getting wet with gas.
Actually, what you might want to be more concerned about is flooding your taillight lens with gas. That's a nasty mixture. I speak from experience. Those plastic lenses are pricey In the rare case I've had a bit of spillage, my first look is to make sure it didn't hit the plastic.
Hooked
GTS 300ie Touring
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:07 am quote
Sledge wrote:
What a great solution, simple and effective.
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:01 pm quote
Over Spill
The first time I filled up my new Vespa, I blew gas all over the place.
At the time, I thought, somebody flunked design engineering at Vespa/Piaggo.

I started taking the Pet Carrier completely out of the scoot and setting it to the side when I refueled. Once, in a hurry, I even drove off without the pet carrier.

So, I have mastered the art of using the fuel cap to prop up the pet carrier while I refuel. I still seem to get a small amount of over spill.

Bob Copeland
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:53 pm quote
Fudmucker wrote:

If I'm filling carefully, there is no or very little spillage. Sometimes the fuel pump doesn't stop when it should. Then there's lots of spillage. I've got lots of spare towels in the garage that the wife keeps me supplied with.
Wife - "Dear, I think I'll throw these towels out, they are hard to clean".
Me - " No, No, No, give them to me, I'll keep them in the man cave for secret men's business".
So I toss them out as required.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, S 150, GTS 250
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:25 am quote
Sledge wrote:
Great idea. I have been the paper towels that they offer but your idea in much more practical and effective.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:39 pm quote
I've been propping up the pet carrier with the gas cap for 9.5 years. And have spilt gas about 10% of the fill-ups over that time (~19K miles). I ALWAYS put the bike on the center stand while at the gas station. When if does overflow, I find it overflows into the seat lock pocket and then down the rear fender. I find it never rolls toward the pet carrier or engine compartment. So far, it hasn't impacted the finish. And I haven't blown up. I can usually guess how much fuel the tank will take based on the fuel gauge. When it gets close to my guesstimate of the fuel needed, I usually pull the nozzle out of the tank, hold up the fuel recovery condom, and look for the characteristic bubble in the fill hole that occur when I'm getting close to full. Then I stop. Works about 90% of the time. Some times, I fill too fast at the end and I misgauge the fuel level and it overflows. But I keep trying, every time.

Best
Miguel

For posterity, this is post 3333 for me since joining MV!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:28 pm quote
Don't Panic about fill ups.
Sledge wrote:
A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar scooterist can have.
Addicted
04 GT 200 smoky, 05 GT 125 smoky (in pieces)
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:23 am quote
Maybe it's just the on the early version, but my GT200 has a raised lip around the fuel cap with a small hole at the bottom.

If I should ever overfill -which after 11 years with this Vespa I seldom do, unless I get distracted - the fuel will drain through the hole and pour out the bottom onto the ground.

Surprised that no one has mentioned this happening on their Vespa.
Enthusiast
2019 Primavera 150 Touring
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:14 am quote
I just do it exactly the way this guy does it. Sometimes you have to hold that gasket cover towards you so that it will allow the gas to flow. It works the sane way with the Vespa and I fill up the tank with no issues about 98% of the time.

Skip to 04:00 to begin the fueling.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:15 pm quote
David Ordaz wrote:
I just do it exactly the way this guy does it. Sometimes you have to hold that gasket cover towards you so that it will allow the gas to flow. It works the sane way with the Vespa and I fill up the tank with no issues about 98% of the time.

Skip to 04:00 to begin the fueling.

What is the name of the YouTube video, if you don't mind? For whatever reason embedded videos aren't working for me but I definitely want to see what you are referring to. Thanks!
Addicted
LXS 150
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:13 pm quote
Re: Don't Panic about fill ups.
znomit wrote:
Sledge wrote:
A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar scooterist can have.
Interstellar scooterists also find pull-start guitars handy.
Hooked
GTS 300
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:00 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Ok, that's pretty funny. Worthy of a rim shot.

I don't see the videos people put in their discussions, I do see pictures though. Is it the receiver or sender that causes problems? Any solution
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:28 am quote
easterbunny wrote:
What is the name of the YouTube video, if you don't mind? For whatever reason embedded videos aren't working for me but I definitely want to see what you are referring to. Thanks!
If you're reading on Chrome, that's your problem. Try Microsoft Edge, and your problems will be solved.

In the meantime, found the link for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnyQYYQassE
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.8466s ][ Queries: 26 (0.1417s) ][ Debug on ]