2008 MP3 400 Newly Purchased!
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Joined: 14 Feb 2018
Posts: 79
Location: Los Angeles, California
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:34 am quote
I sold my MP3 500 several months ago. I missed it ever since. I came upon a deal I could not resist. An 08 MP3 400 with low miles. Bought it from original owner. Great condition and all stock except for the tall windscreen and large Piaggio topcase. Already planning mod list. Please chime in if I forget anything and any advice would be great. This will be my daily commuter.

MOD LIST:
1. Dr Pulley Sliders 16gram
2. Fuzzy Washer 1mm
3. Air Box Mod
4. Malossi or Polina Air filter
5. Dual headlight mod
6. Lowering Bracket
7. Add extra led turn signals
8. Stebel Horn

Basic services and maintenance will be done like: engine oil, gear oil, brake fluid, tilt lock fluid, radiator fluid. Near future...I will need to replace the brake pads and tires.

Any MP3 400 owners out there? Please chime or advice if there's anything else that I missed worth adding on to this bike. Just a little over two weeks of riding the 400...I really love this bike. It's a great replacement for my 500 and I don't really feel any different in power when riding in the freeway. Thanks ahead of time!

20190209_103345.jpg

20190209_103419.jpg

20190122_101317.jpg

20190122_100914.jpg

20190209_103403.jpg

20190209_105154.jpg

Ossessionato
Midnight Blue MP3 400
Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 3736
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:13 pm quote
Nothing to add.

I have that exact scooter. I got mine in 2008 and I have 39,000 miles on it. It is my daily commuter. You made a great choice - many consider the 400 to be the best of the breed.
Molto Verboso
Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Posts: 1032
Location: UK
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:02 am quote
At the risk of stating the obvious pump plenty of grease into the kingpin bearing pillars. Personally I would also reroute the breather to a separate catch tank so that oily deposits don't contaminate the air filter and throttle housing. I didn't even use a catch tank on mine just routed a long large bore pipe out just below the number plate. That way I could see if there was anything more than a light mist being blown out. There never was.
I still miss my MP3s too.
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Joined: 14 Feb 2018
Posts: 79
Location: Los Angeles, California
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:00 pm quote
mpfrank wrote:
Nothing to add.

I have that exact scooter. I got mine in 2008 and I have 39,000 miles on it. It is my daily commuter. You made a great choice - many consider the 400 to be the best of the breed.
Thank you. I just took a 120 mile ride today and I enjoyed every mile. I was hitting 90mph with a little left but I backed off. I've ordered the 16gr Dr Pulley and Malossi airfilter. I can't wait to get that installed with the Fuzzy washer I have left over. Also this weekend I will also be doing the Airbox mod.
Also did the dual headlight mod today...it's coming along as planned.

20190209_102636.jpg

Addicted
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Joined: 29 Jun 2016
Posts: 559
Location: Toronto
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:11 pm quote
You mentioned tires are due. What about the belt?
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Joined: 14 Feb 2018
Posts: 79
Location: Los Angeles, California
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:39 am quote
roadster wrote:
At the risk of stating the obvious pump plenty of grease into the kingpin bearing pillars. Personally I would also reroute the breather to a separate catch tank so that oily deposits don't contaminate the air filter and throttle housing. I didn't even use a catch tank on mine just routed a long large bore pipe out just below the number plate. That way I could see if there was anything more than a light mist being blown out. There never was.
I still miss my MP3s too.
Yes the steering notch. NO issues with oil in the air filter though. I just rode for 120miles yesterday with average speed of 75 mph and top speed of 94mph---I checked the air filter box and it was dry.

The belt was changed at 6k miles so I'm not due for along while but I will check it when I install the Dr Pulley and Fuzzy washer.

Thanks everyone for the heads up and advice.
Addicted
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Joined: 29 Jun 2016
Posts: 559
Location: Toronto
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:25 am quote
penilani wrote:
The belt was changed at 6k miles so I'm not due for along while but I will check it when I install the Dr Pulley and Fuzzy washer.
That's good, but how long ago was that? Given it's an '08 with low miles, it could be more than 5 years old? You really don't want that belt to fail when you're bombing down the freeway at 94 mph!
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Joined: 14 Feb 2018
Posts: 79
Location: Los Angeles, California
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:33 am quote
berto wrote:
penilani wrote:
The belt was changed at 6k miles so I'm not due for along while but I will check it when I install the Dr Pulley and Fuzzy washer.
That's good, but how long ago was that? Given it's an '08 with low miles, it could be more than 5 years old? You really don't want that belt to fail when you're bombing down the freeway at 94 mph!
Thanks for the heads up. The original owner have the belts changed at 6k miles. It's not even 7k miles yet. The belt is only 1-2 year old. I will inspect it when I put the Dr Pulley sliders and Fuzzy washer in.
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500
Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 69
Location: Chandler, AZ
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:48 pm quote
Michelin Power Pure tires
I know there are lots of threads on the site about tires, but if you plan to ride on the highway a great deal of the time, I would recommend the Power Pure tires. They don't suffer from the "bald in the center" issue due to a harder compound used in the center. They still handle well as sidewalls are much softer.
On a different topic, the Piaggio speedometers always read higher than actual speed. My understanding this is due to regulations in the EU that fine manufacturers if the speedometer could possibly read low in any circumstance.(Like oversize tires.) Typically, the actual speed is 9-12% lower than indicated. My speedo reads 11% high. I bought the mph overlay decals available from ebay and clocked the decal to be correct at 60mph.
Molto Verboso
Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Posts: 1032
Location: UK
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:34 am quote
Re: Michelin Power Pure tires
SteveB77 wrote:
I know there are lots of threads on the site about tires, but if you plan to ride on the highway a great deal of the time, I would recommend the Power Pure tires. They don't suffer from the "bald in the center" issue due to a harder compound used in the center. They still handle well as sidewalls are much softer.
Yes I thought they were excellent on the X10 exactly as you say.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2732s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0355s) ][ Debug on ]