Free Play for Fuoco 500 steering column
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
2009 fuoco 500
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:20 pm quote
Good afternoon all.

I just had all the steering bearings changed for the front .
Could anyone clarify if there is some free play of the handle bar steering column .I feel like the steering column has a free play of about 2-3 mm when I move the handle bars.

with regards
Albert
Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:50 am quote
There should be no play up and down, and in the straight ahead position very little on rotation. Because of the quirks of the geometry there is more rotational play when on full lock but this doesn't have any effect when actually on the move. The steering stem bearings do not carry any suspension or braking loads on the MP3 so are less important than on a normal motorcycle.
Hooked
2008 fuoco.T3 guzzi california outfit
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:20 am quote
Re: Free Play for Fuoco 500 steering column
Albert N wrote:
Good afternoon all.

Could anyone clarify if there is some free play of the handle bar steering column .I feel like the steering column has a free play of about 2-3 mm when I move the handle bars.

with regards
Albert
The steering column is a tube where the handlebars clamp around it and tends to crush/deform and if you keep tightening the bolt it just crushes it more. Best way to fix is to put another piece of tube inside the steering column to beef it up.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:11 am quote
3legsofman wrote:
Albert N wrote:
Good afternoon all.

with regards
Albert
The steering column is a tube where the handlebars clamp around it and tends to crush/deform and if you keep tightening the bolt it just crushes it more. Best way to fix is to put another piece of tube inside the steering column to beef it up.
Some have the thin wall tube, some have a thick wall tube.
Worth checking.
Hooked
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:11 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
3legsofman wrote:
Albert N wrote:
Good afternoon all.

with regards
Albert
Worth checking.
Diden't know that. My fuoco is a 2008 and it looks thin walled tube to me as it crushes easily.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:03 pm quote
3legsofman wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
3legsofman wrote:
Albert N wrote:
Good afternoon all.

with regards
Albert
Worth checking.
Diden't know that. My fuoco is a 2008 and it looks thin walled tube to me as it crushes easily.
Mine is also 2008 and I checked it, and has the thick wall.
Someone was offering a spacer to put inside to avoid the crushing; turned out I didn't need it.
2009 fuoco 500
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:27 pm quote
Free play diagram
Hi roadster thanks for the reply.
Ive attached a pic for others to reference.
Thanks to the rest for the info on the column thickness. I will look into that the next round .

With regards

No movement is allowed nor is it present in the blue direction.
It is only in the green direction that there is some free play. When you turn the handle bar it takes a few mm before the wheels themselves actually turn

20190212_140843  B.jpg

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:58 am quote
The linkage is quite crude with several ball joints. Each joint should be examined while turning the bars slightly. This will establish where the movement is lost. If no one joint appears excessively sloppy then there is nothing to worry about. If the central stem bearings are incorrectly adjusted the drop arm which is rigidly attached to the stem will be able to move up and down, this must be corrected. Joints 2 8 and 11 all have some play because its an imperfect mechanism that would not move at all if each joint was fully constrained.

s-linkage.JPG

Hooked
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:12 am quote
roadster wrote:
The linkage is quite crude with several ball joints. Each joint should be examined while turning the bars slightly. This will establish where the movement is lost. If no one joint appears excessively sloppy then there is nothing to worry about. If the central stem bearings are incorrectly adjusted the drop arm which is rigidly attached to the stem will be able to move up and down, this must be corrected. Joints 2 8 and 11 all have some play because its an imperfect mechanism that would not move at all if each joint was fully constrained.
When i was sorting out the play in the handlebars i had to replace the bearing at the number 2 / 8 area and adjust the poor quality cup and cone bearings on the steering stem and regrease them. I was thinking of finding better quality bearings but never got around to it.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2560s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0366s) ][ Debug on ]