smallframe shifter space/spring washers
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Hooked
1964 GS160, 1966 90ss

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:25 am quote
I bought a new shifter tube/assembly from SIP after breaking to old one. The casting is fair but as expected, the fit is poor. The holes for the pin were not offset correctly, the shifter numbers are off considerably, and they are barely legible.

But...the problem I'm concerned with is the assembly. When it's installed, there is no room whatsoever for the spring washer and shim washer on the inside. I have the big fat washer on the outside and everything is snug and moves great. But there's a good 1-2mm less tube on the inside "side" than on the original piece.

Question: will it do any harm to run it without the shim/spring washers? Everything will be greased up and clearance isn't a problem.

EDIT: I guess it's also possible the holes for locating the shifter cam thingee were drilled 1-2mm to far "to the left". That would explain it too.

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 8.16.35 AM.png

Molto Verboso
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:40 pm quote
Re: smallframe shifter space/spring washers
gmontag wrote:
I bought a new shifter tube/assembly from SIP after breaking to old one. The casting is fair but as expected, the fit is poor. The holes for the pin were not offset correctly, the shifter numbers are off considerably, and they are barely legible.

But...the problem I'm concerned with is the assembly. When it's installed, there is no room whatsoever for the spring washer and shim washer on the inside. I have the big fat washer on the outside and everything is snug and moves great. But there's a good 1-2mm less tube on the inside "side" than on the original piece.

Question: will it do any harm to run it without the shim/spring washers? Everything will be greased up and clearance isn't a problem.

EDIT: I guess it's also possible the holes for locating the shifter cam thingee were drilled 1-2mm to far "to the left". That would explain it too.
Is it 3-speed or 4-speed? I have an original 4-speed smallframe shifter I'd sell you. If yours is three speed, a 4-speed will still work. Actually, now that I'm poking around in my stuff, I realize have a 3-speed as well. The 4-speed is immaculate, but the 3-speed is a bit funky, but original.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2689s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0487s) ][ Debug on ]