Motorcycling India/Vietnam/Cambodia etc
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:22 am quote
I was half considering hiring a motorbike or scooter and doing a two week tour in one of these countries around April. Does anyone have any experience of this? a rough idea of cost? things to watch out for? I fully understand that riding in these countries isn't the same as at home but I'm fairly comfortable with that. Would prefer touring around. Not wildly keen on being part of a huge group of bikes, 4 or 5 is ok but any more isn't so appealing. My wife is (at the moment) quite keen on the idea and will come along as pillion. India is obviously quite big so understand if I'd just be going round a part of it.

Any other suggestions? countries? or something entirely different?

PS We've done some fairly long trips in the past (many over 5K miles) but now we're in our 50's so neither of us is looking to prove anything. I'd prefer countryside rather than cities. April is when we have available so weather might rule out India. It's our 25th wedding anniversary so it needs to be slightly better than touring round the UK in the rain on a bike (we did that for our honeymoon).
Enthusiast
2012 LX150ie
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:41 pm quote
Not exactly what you are asking for...
...but I was in Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) last month and Whenever I go there I am always amazed on how many scooters I see. Easily 10 scooters for every car, they are the primary form of transportation.

My wife and I had a game where we tried to find the most people per scoot...luckily didnít get past 4..and the largest amount of cargo being carried, which was 20 bags of concrete mix 😀.

One thing to be aware of is that as you get farther away from the city, it becomes more difficult to find people who speak English. So you need a plan for things like directions (SatNav?) and food...pointing and offering money seems to work if you are not to fussy.

I will say that I always have fun in Vietnam. The food is delicious and the people are very friendly.
ET2 2004
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:56 am quote
Along the same lines as jim jar, I can only recommend Vietnam. It's a beautiful country, amazing food especially if you like seafood and very friendly. Ho Chi Minh is so busy and full of motorbikes but the traffic moves (unless you're on 4 wheels). The roads work very differently, if you're already on a roundabout you give way to someone who wants to enter for example. Something to concider is your UK bike licence won't count there you need a Vietnamese licence which is for people who've been there 6 months or more (I think) though I've heard you can get your UK licence translated for a fee and a but of time but this isn't something I've looked into as my girlfriend has a licence there and is used to the way the traffic works so she rides the scooter there and I do it here.
Temperature wise April in the south last year was high 30's.

p.s my favourite cargo was a brand new full-size fridge-freezer carried vertically on a Honda Innova, that takes some skills!

Cheers
Rich
Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:55 am quote
Thanks for the info guys. All very interesting.
Addicted
2017 Ducati Supersport S, 2014 Kawasaki Concours
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:34 am quote
If you haven't joined yet, check out the Adventure Rider forum. Lots of great riding advice especially on SE Asia.
Hooked
2016 BV350 White
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:20 pm quote
Re: Vietnam. Look at the Ed March video on YouTube at his "unguided" trip. Its has pretty good information on it. Don't plan on buying a used bike and reselling it later. If anyone except an authorized major brand dealer has touched it, it will break down on you. (Vietbodge). Not worth it. I think Tigris in Saigon was the name of the place where Ed was going to rent reliable Hondas for his second group trip. Don't buy or rent a Chinese clone of one of the Hondas. They won't last. Bring your own helmet from the States, the ones that they have are crap. Assume you will be riding in the rain on multiple days. You won't be able to ride on the major freeway on the coast, it's for cars only. You have to plan your trip accordingly. Hotels and restaurants are very inexpensive. Assume that you will have to pay a bribe at some point and carry some small bills for this. In big crowded cities, don't make sudden turns as other riders will make assumptions based on gradual turns. Its a beautiful, awesome trip that is on my bucket list. Good luck.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:44 am quote
I haven't been but my brothers visited a friend who now lives in Vietnam and rented scooters. Those "bodges" we speak of so disdainfully. I have no idea of the cost or whether what they paid would be the same as anyone else would pay since they had the advantage of someone who has lived in Vietnam and run a business there for more than a dozen years. Complete with bilingual girlfriend (of friend) to procure and negotiate. I will say that my brothers were impressed at how well the bodges ran and they weren't exactly gentle with them since one of them rides a BMW GS, loves dirt and has no fear.

Checking out ADVRider would be a good place to start. Queezie did a guest appearance in a Thailand ride thread recently. Horizons Unlimited is another good forum for international touring.
Hooked
2016 BV350 White
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:26 pm quote
For renting a scooter in Vietnam, check out Tigit Motorbikes in Hanoi, Da Nang, and Ho Chi Min City. They have newer bikes in good repair. You can pick up at one location and drop off and another location. They won't break down on you, like what ever else your might buy or rent.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2876s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0430s) ][ Debug on ]