OP
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
Anyone do any casual or organized racing in the nyc area or know of a kart track that does this? Never done it before but i think it would be fun!
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
On a stella?
OP
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
Yes on my Stella. But generally on any vespa, stella or lambretta. Im not expecting to be good or anything, just think it would be a fun thing to do occasionally! I see a lot of this on youtube from europe and southeast asia. Just trying to figure out if anyone does it around here.
@bazziemoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
1974 Vespa 125 Primavera, 1980 Bajaj Chetak, 1962 Lambretta 175TV3, 2006 Yamaha Vino

Hooked
@bazziemoto avatar
1974 Vespa 125 Primavera, 1980 Bajaj Chetak, 1962 Lambretta 175TV3, 2006 Yamaha Vino
UTC quote
Several of the guys I ride with go to this - https://www.facebook.com/events/2148550298792082/?ti=cl
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Bazziemoto wrote:
Several of the guys I ride with go to this - https://www.facebook.com/events/2148550298792082/?ti=cl
That looks like fun.

What many don't realize is most if not all courses require riders to be in FULL gear and have a Snell or equivalent certified helmet. A DOT only helmet won't cut it. A lot of people don't have it all as it's expensive though you may be able to rent it for a day. You also need to tape up your lights and a few other things.
OP
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the info on that event. If I am able to, I will try to take a trip up there for it!
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
If only there were such a scooter racing scene in the US...

Guide to scooter racing by scootering mag
https://www.scootering.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2019/04/scooter-racing.pdf

Cool info despite the lack of it around here.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Bazziemoto wrote:
That looks like fun.

What many don't realize is most if not all courses require riders to be in FULL gear and have a Snell or equivalent certified helmet. A DOT only helmet won't cut it. A lot of people don't have it all as it's expensive though you may be able to rent it for a day. You also need to tape up your lights and a few other things.
Lots of guys on here have full gear and a snell approved helmet. I wouldn't own a helmet with only DOT approval.
You weren't around when Toreador Pants (All The Gear All The Time) was being pushed here all the time.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Bazziemoto wrote:
That looks like fun.

Lots of guys on here have full gear and a snell approved helmet. I wouldn't own a helmet with only DOT approval.
You weren't around when Toreador Pants (All The Gear All The Time) was being pushed here all the time.
Oh I know all about the bull fighting pants legacy here. Lots of guys here are very in to riding on MV so no surprise there. Face it though your typical Vespa rider is not going to have full gear. I don't have full gear, still haven't found a pair of pants I like and if I did have them it would be pretty rare I would wear them.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
swiss1939 wrote:
If only there were such a scooter racing scene in the US...

Guide to scooter racing by scootering mag
https://www.scootering.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2019/04/scooter-racing.pdf

Cool info despite the lack of it around here.
Cool link, thanks!

Yeah we just don't have the culture here, never have. Biggest we ever got over in NA was during the Mod/Ska/2-Tone revival and that was a long time ago. Even then there wasn't any real racing (that I know of) however there were plenty of large rallys. We used to kick of our season here with a big May 24 Rally at Niagara Falls every year.
OP
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Bazziemoto wrote:
That looks like fun.

Oh I know all about the bull fighting pants legacy here. Lots of guys here are very in to riding on MV so no surprise there. Face it though your typical Vespa rider is not going to have full gear. I don't have full gear, still haven't found a pair of pants I like and if I did have them it would be pretty rare I would wear them.
I cringe when I see guys riding with the full racing leathers on streets. Not my style in any way, but if I were to race on the track I would bury my pride and wear those. I too have been looking for some kevlar pants and shirts for riding with more protection, but so much of riding gear is butt ugly designed for just the polar opposite personality. I've also thought about how much money it would cost to get a different pair for every day just to be covered every day while still wearing clean clothes and it gets expensive.

So I currently ride with jeans, long sleeve shirts and heavy boots. It's the best I've got for now, but i know it's not ideal. I'm planning on buying my first pair of kevlar pants and shirts this season seeing as I have only just worked up to highway speeds after casual street riding to build comfort on a bike this past year.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Oh I'm with you on a lot of the gear especially the pants are ugly. I got in to scootering because I was a Mod and like to think I still have some fashion sense. You can however get some very cool jackets and boots and some of the gloves are cool as well as helmets. Not cheap for the good stuff though. I'm a Frye and Redwings guy mostly and have some Rev'it! Jackets that are very fashionable. Here's a pic of a couple. One more fashion the other I wear for more serious/long freeway rides. Both are armoured.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Bazziemoto wrote:
That looks like fun.

I cringe when I see guys riding with the full racing leathers on streets. Not my style in any way, but if I were to race on the track I would bury my pride and wear those. I too have been looking for some kevlar pants and shirts for riding with more protection, but so much of riding gear is butt ugly designed for just the polar opposite personality. I've also thought about how much money it would cost to get a different pair for every day just to be covered every day while still wearing clean clothes and it gets expensive.

So I currently ride with jeans, long sleeve shirts and heavy boots. It's the best I've got for now, but i know it's not ideal. I'm planning on buying my first pair of kevlar pants and shirts this season seeing as I have only just worked up to highway speeds after casual street riding to build comfort on a bike this past year.
Leather? Way to hot. Textile products do just as well these days.
As a rule I don't ride with full gear. I dress for the weather. If it is cold/cool I have full gear and go down to shorts, tee shirt and half helmet for hot weather.
Only execption is if I am going out to ride some twisties hard, then it is Toreador Pants.
OP
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
As a rule I don't ride with full gear. I dress for the weather. If it is cold/cool I have full gear and go down to shorts, tee shirt and half helmet for hot weather.
Only execption is if I am going out to ride some twisties hard, then it is Toreador Pants.
Fair enough.. even the textile gear doesn't evoke much interest to me. I have only seen a few basic looking jeans and flannel shirts with kevlar that I would wear. Everything else is loaded up with zippers, pockets, random stitches, logos or that skin tight racing look, etc. But yes, I wear for the weather with tshirts and shorts on 95+F days against the voice of warning in my head (haven't found something yet that offers better protection on extremely hot days, but I need to). Wouldn't do that on the highway. I also prefer the full face helmet, despite owning a half helmet. I just leave the visor up and wear sunglasses on hot days.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
swiss1939 wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Fair enough.. even the textile gear doesn't evoke much interest to me. I have only seen a few basic looking jeans and flannel shirts with kevlar that I would wear. Everything else is loaded up with zippers, pockets, random stitches, logos or that skin tight racing look, etc. But yes, I wear for the weather with tshirts and shorts on 95+F days against the voice of warning in my head (haven't found something yet that offers better protection on extremely hot days, but I need to). Wouldn't do that on the highway. I also prefer the full face helmet, despite owning a half helmet. I just leave the visor up and wear sunglasses on hot days.
There are plenty of armoured mesh jackets for summer riding. Even plenty without all the pockets and zippers etc. I will rarely do shorts and t-tshirt on very hot days and when I do I feel like a dork. I know all too well how ripped up your skin can get even with a simple collision/fall. It ain't pretty and you get the scars as an added bonus which is not a look I'm after. I've gone down once a long time ago when I was a kid and that was enough of a lesson for me. However I do believe to each their own and as an adult you decide what risks you want to take in life.
OP
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
There are plenty of armoured mesh jackets for summer riding. Even plenty without all the pockets and zippers etc. I will rarely do shorts and t-tshirt on very hot days and when I do I feel like a dork. I know all too well how ripped up your skin can get even with a simple collision/fall. It ain't pretty and you get the scars as an added bonus which is not a look I'm after. I've gone down once a long time ago when I was a kid and that was enough of a lesson for me. However I do believe to each their own and as an adult you decide what risks you want to take in life.
Believe me, the few times ive done it.. all i could think about was the road rash in waiting. This conversation just inspired me to get on revzilla and order a full kevlar flannel shirt and one pair of riding jeans.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Believe me, the few times ive done it.. all i could think about was the road rash in waiting. This conversation just inspired me to get on revzilla and order a full kevlar flannel shirt and one pair of riding jeans.
Good

Let me know what jeans you get because I have not found a pair I even remotely like. I wear Banana Republic skinny jeans for the most part and can't stand baggy trousers (the song I do like - a little Madness reference a few on here might get).
OP
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Good

Let me know what jeans you get because I have not found a pair I even remotely like. I wear Banana Republic skinny jeans for the most part and can't stand baggy trousers (the song I do like - a little Madness reference a few on here might get).
I'm a short fat guy so I like things a little baggier. Most jeans I get I can't stand cause they end up being too tight. I got these jeans but I don't trust they will fit until I put them on.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-resistance-jeans

That's whats good about revzilla, free returns, which helped when I was buying both my full face and half helmets. Returned both to get the proper sizing.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-covert-flannel-shirt
OP
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
To follow up.. the shirt I got fits fine, full kevlar lining. It is hot though.

The pants I got don't fit so I'll go up the next size which is the largest size.. hopefully they fit. If you decide to try them, be aware of that. The pants are nice with kevlar everywhere but the calves, and they come with knee pads.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-resistance-jeans
⬆️    About 4 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
I'm still obsessed with why scooter racing isn't a thing in America when it's big in Europe and Asia. I think aside from scooters being less popular, the lack of tracks is the main hurdle.

This got me thinking that I could try renting an old unused go kart track to organize a race and hopefully that would lead to it happening semi regularly.

There are many unused abandoned go kart tracks in America. Just so happens there is one on Staten island.

I guess I'm polling to see if anyone in tri state area would show up to an event if someone could get a small track for a day and organized it? I think it would even be cool to have a quarter mile event like sip does. Just something to get the small group of people who know this stuff in one place to learn from and have a semi regular goal to strive for. Even if it was loosely set up into two groups either street for minimal upgrades and race for those with crazy builds.

Aliso wondering if anyone knows what it takes to run a race in terms of equipment and rule, etc. I've never raced but I want to. This thought just came up again cause whodatschrome mentioned his racing past and I've seen a few mentions of a racing community in the past somewhere in Cali, but never anything over here.
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300

Hooked
GTS 300
UTC quote
I did a bit of club level road racing back in the 70's and early 80's . Did a bit of work as a course marshal and corner worker in WERRA , and the old AMA series.

Also did some work as a promoter and general all around gopher in a series called MARS ( Motorcycle Asphalt Racing Series) .

It takes a lot of commitment and $$ no matter how you cut it. In today's litigious world I think the insurance costs might prove to be higher than you think.

All that said, racing clubs do operate all over the US . Perhaps you could contact some of them and see if there might be an opportunity to set up a specific class or two for scooters.

There seems to be a bunch of small CC motorcycle racing going on in Ca. Some of it takes place on go cart tracks .

Good luck with your idea, I like it and bet there are some Valentino Rossi wanna be's out there.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
You can always just do a Track day.
I could have done Summit Point Raceway on Saturday if I had my boots and pants with me. They were having a motorcycle track day. I didn't know, just road by to see what was going on.
It was amiture car racing on the big track (drive it up and race your daily driver) and a BMW car group and "Motorcycle Xcitement Track days and Racing school". were taking turns on the other course.
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
UTC quote
Vintage days are coming up at Barber Motorsports in Leesville, Al.
This sounds like a great time for a scoot race. Who do I need to talk to about that?
Tony in Tn
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
There are tracks listed here that would be ideal for scooter racing in NJ and NY.

https://www.scminigp.com/tracks/
⬆️    About 3 years elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
There actually is a racing league in the northeast. I found it on facebook earlier in the year and they had two separate weekend races over the last month not far away in upstate NY, but unfortunately I couldn't join this year as none of my fast scooters are running right now!

Hopefully next year I'll be able to go and try it out for the first time.

MopedGP EAST

https://www.facebook.com/groups/northeastmopedracing

https://mopedgp.wordpress.com/
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1225s ][ Queries: 29 (0.0818s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]