OP
@citygirlscoot avatar
UTC

LX 150

@citygirlscoot avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
What are your tips and tricks for parking on an incline, especially when it's windy/rainy?

I'm a new rider and just bought a used LX 150 and it tipped overnight. No severe damage, just scratched up on the side and nearly all the gas leaked out.

I live in San Francisco and my landlord is very strict and I can't use the driveway so I can't really utilize the flat ground nor can I park up close to the front of the house to minimize wind gusts. Can't park in the garage either unfortunately so my only option is street. I normally park it with the rear wheel touching the curb at a slight angle pointed uphill if that makes any sense.

I want to believe that it's not the actual incline itself but the fact that it was windy and I had a rain cover on which resulted in the scooter tipping over. I
checked the weather and it was around 30mph. Is there any type of reinforcement I can use to help stabilize or keep it level?

Please help this newbie!
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Use the side stand and put a block under the wheel(s)
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Don't use a cover when it is windy, that increases your chance of blowing over. Covers can act like a sail. Your scooter was designed to handle rain and a seat cover will keep it dry (I like Coolass which is both water proof and will keep your seat from getting too hot in the sun).
Don't use a side stand on an LX the one that is available for it tends to collapse too easily.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
But the side stand makes the bike lean so less likely to get blown over?

Mine came as standard? I very rarely use the centre stand even at night.
@northernerbill avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx 50

Molto Verboso
@northernerbill avatar
lx 50
UTC quote
I'd say make sure you park facing directly up the hill, so that is then of no consequence except it's helping make the scooter stay on which ever stand you use.

I'd only use the centre stand though.....just my opinion it's stradier in either direction.

Maybe get a seat cover and on very windy days only use that.
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
UTC quote
Welcome to the forum.

I would remove the cover if you are able to check the forecast and see it will be windy.
@bazziemoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
1974 Vespa 125 Primavera, 1980 Bajaj Chetak, 1962 Lambretta 175TV3, 2006 Yamaha Vino

Hooked
@bazziemoto avatar
1974 Vespa 125 Primavera, 1980 Bajaj Chetak, 1962 Lambretta 175TV3, 2006 Yamaha Vino
UTC quote
I agree with using the center stand and facing your bike uphill, so gravity will keep it firmly on the stand. I also agree with not using a cover when it's windy. I've had my bike blown over with a cover on and it sucks.

Have you tried parking your bike on the sidewalk instead of parking it on the street?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
waspmike wrote:
... put a block under the wheel(s)
I've never done it myself but it sounds like an idea worth trying. Parking brakes are useful sometimes, with scooters that have them.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
+1 on the cover. Seems like they cause plenty of trouble even on the flat. Otherwise you seem to be all right, IMO.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Parking is a real Humbug in the City
That scooter is ideal for buzzing around your town. Parking is a real
problem for you avid city dwellers.

1. Is there somewhere with in a short walk where you could actually pay
to park to store it.
2. My daughter loves living in the city. Her apartment had underground
parking. I noticed that several of the tenants paid extra for a single parking space and also parked a scooter directly in front of their car.
3. Maybe you could approach someone with pay for parking would allow you to split the cost and put your scooter in the same slot as their car.

Bob Copeland
Frost Bite Falls Minnesota
OP
@citygirlscoot avatar
UTC

LX 150

@citygirlscoot avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
northernerbill wrote:
I'd say make sure you park facing directly up the hill, so that is then of no consequence except it's helping make the scooter stay on which ever stand you use.

I'd only use the centre stand though.....just my opinion it's stradier in either direction.

Do you just use your whole body weight to thrust it off the stand then?
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
One for the road.... like others said, center stand, no cover and front towards uphill.

Covers can create quite a sail effect. I noticed the last summer that my Triumph with quite a lot more weight was really shaking in the middle of a storm with the cover on.

Edit: sorry, forgot my manners: welcome!
OP
@citygirlscoot avatar
UTC

LX 150

@citygirlscoot avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
Don't use a cover when it is windy, that increases your chance of blowing over. Covers can act like a sail. Your scooter was designed to handle rain and a seat cover will keep it dry (I like Coolass which is both water proof and will keep your seat from getting too hot in the sun).
Don't use a side stand on an LX the one that is available for it tends to collapse too easily.
I like this. Do you suggest I go for the Medium or Large for my particular bike? I tried reading the descriptions and it wasn't listed there.
OP
@citygirlscoot avatar
UTC

LX 150

@citygirlscoot avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
One for the road.... like others said, center stand, no cover and front towards uphill.

Covers can create quite a sail effect. I noticed the last summer that my Triumph with quite a lot more weight was really shaking in the middle of a storm with the cover on.

Edit: sorry, forgot my manners: welcome!
Thank you!

Yeah I made a rookie mistake with the cover then. I tested it last night and took the cover off and woke up this morning with it still standing after enduring 50-60mph wind gusts. So far so good!
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
One of the other people I'm trying to get in our riding group out here in Sacramento noticed my riding partners Sei Giorni on it's side! He used his cover and it blew the whole thing over Crying or Very sad emoticon

Damage report thus far "Huge Scratch on the side (No Dent thank gawd!) Windscreen damaged and front headlight damaged..."

This is in the flatlands of downtown Sacramento! Be careful on those hills of San Francisco!!! Big news this morning were all the houses sliding down the hills in Sausalito.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
CityGirlScoot wrote:
northernerbill wrote:

The scoot should be quite easy to get off from the center stand, even uphill.
I've seen some folks to do a light "rocking" of the scoot to create a pendulum effect. Sitting on the scoot, they grab handlebars, push the front down, pull it immediately a bit back and then swing the whole scoot forward - a bit hard to explain, but this aims for a small rocking motion that in the end helps to push the scoot forward. No big movemens, more like "a rhythm".
@michaelr avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 GT 200, 2007 BV 500

Addicted
@michaelr avatar
2006 GT 200, 2007 BV 500
UTC quote
I use a velcro strip about 6 inches long to lock the brake handle to the grip handle for a parking brake. You could use this on both wheels or just the front wheel if the bike is on the center stand. This is kind of off the subject but it may be helpful in certain parking situations as well as locking the rear wheel when removing it for a tire change etc.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
MichaelR wrote:
I use a velcro strip about 6 inches long to lock the brake handle to the grip handle for a parking brake. You could use this on both wheels or just the front wheel if the bike is on the center stand. This is kind of off the subject but it may be helpful in certain parking situations as well as locking the rear wheel when removing it for a tire change etc.
You could use a grip lock for the same purpose and it would have the added bonus of being a visible theft deterrent.
https://www.amazon.com/BigPantha-Motorcycle-Lock-Handlebar-Transporting/dp/B01A759GW0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1550256131&sr=8-9&keywords=scooter+brake+lock&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
CityGirlScoot wrote:
northernerbill wrote:

The scoot should be quite easy to get off from the center stand, even uphill.
I've seen some folks to do a light "rocking" of the scoot to create a pendulum effect. Sitting on the scoot, they grab handlebars, push the front down, pull it immediately a bit back and then swing the whole scoot forward - a bit hard to explain, but this aims for a small rocking motion that in the end helps to push the scoot forward. No big movemens, more like "a rhythm".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9CduUuKfcA

sidestand spin...don't think this would be feasible on 1 leg of a centerstand...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6RLmlGRPn8

not usable on public roads...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNwhSg2pg08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zY6g3omRM

could be usable and stable but it would be a pain to move each time to ride away...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QTYJjV6Msk

put a block of wood or a thick piece of rubber with a 45 degree cut under the rear tire so the rear tire is on the block and the front tire is on the asphalt...start the scooter and give it a little gas to creep off the center stand
@michaelr avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 GT 200, 2007 BV 500

Addicted
@michaelr avatar
2006 GT 200, 2007 BV 500
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
MichaelR wrote:
You could use a grip lock for the same purpose and it would have the added bonus of being a visible theft deterrent.
https://www.amazon.com/BigPantha-Motorcycle-Lock-Handlebar-Transporting/dp/B01A759GW0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1550256131&sr=8-9&keywords=scooter+brake+lock&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011
Velcro cost next to nothing and you can carry it in your jacket pocket, your glove box, or even leave one wrapped around your handlebars. Of coarse a grip lock would serve the same purpose.
OP
@citygirlscoot avatar
UTC

LX 150

@citygirlscoot avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
Sacto Monkeyboy wrote:
One of the other people I'm trying to get in our riding group out here in Sacramento noticed my riding partners Sei Giorni on it's side! He used his cover and it blew the whole thing over Crying or Very sad emoticon

Damage report thus far "Huge Scratch on the side (No Dent thank gawd!) Windscreen damaged and front headlight damaged..."

This is in the flatlands of downtown Sacramento! Be careful on those hills of San Francisco!!! Big news this morning were all the houses sliding down the hills in Sausalito.
Eek! That was a tough picture to look at. The winds and rain here have been unforgiving! So many mudslides and floods. I asked for permission and am keeping it on my landlord's flat driveway until this storm passes. Haven't had a cover on it for the past two nights and it's been solid. I think I'll just have to suck it up and find flat ground if the forecasts calls for high winds in the future.
OP
@citygirlscoot avatar
UTC

LX 150

@citygirlscoot avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
MichaelR wrote:
Can you explain to me how the strip would aid in this case as well? Does the scooter fall over in part to the front wheel actually moving while parked? I always thought it was just because of gravity taking over but if that's the case then I'm buying one asap!
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
CityGirlScoot wrote:
Can you explain to me how the strip would aid in this case as well? Does the scooter fall over in part to the front wheel actually moving while parked? I always thought it was just because of gravity taking over but if that's the case then I'm buying one asap!
You squeeze a brake lever to apply the brake, then wrap the strap around the lever and grip to keep the brake applied. A Grip-Lock does the same thing, except it's metal and has a lock so it's somewhat of a theft deterrent. Neither the strap or the Grip-lock are perfect but they may help keep the scooter from rolling off its stand.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Re: Parking on the street on a hill
CityGirlScoot wrote:
I live in San Francisco and my landlord is very strict and I can't use the driveway so I can't really utilize the flat ground nor can I park up close to the front of the house to minimize wind gusts.
Your landlord sounds like a real PIA. I tend to avoid parking on a slope if I can help it because of the points mentioned. Maybe a neighbor has a bit of flat space they don't mind you using. Or a new landlord. While I haven't been to S.F, I've seen Karl Malden in the T.V series and know that finding a bit of flat ground can be a challenge. Bits of wood or velcro have their place, but I would look for 2 square metres (yards) of flat ground nearby. A box of chocolates or bunch of flowers can do wonders.
@michaelr avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 GT 200, 2007 BV 500

Addicted
@michaelr avatar
2006 GT 200, 2007 BV 500
UTC quote
CityGirlScoot wrote:
MichaelR wrote:
As I said, "This is kind of off the subject". My point being that if you are parking on an incline (especially with the front wheel is turned) having the front wheel locked and unable to rotate may make the the bike more stable especially if it is on the center stand and pointing downhill on a steep grade. I seldom park facing uphill on a steep grade on the center stand because it becomes difficult to get the scooter off the center stand in that position due to the weight shift toward the rear of the scooter. I have a GT200 and they are considerably more difficult to get off the center stands than newer models.
@bazziemoto avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@bazziemoto avatar
UTC quote
Re: Parking is a real Humbug in the City
Bob Copeland wrote:
I know some cities are stricter than others with scooter parking, but for the most part it never seems to be much of an issue. People here in Boston park on the sidewalk all the time. For the most part, meter attendants don't care (and often, they don't even know what the laws are regarding scooter parking.) I park my vintage 125 on the sidewalk in downtown Boston and outside my residence in the area where I live. Our riding group usually parks on the sidewalk in most parts of town, and the only time I know of anyone getting a ticket was when they were parking in a "no parking" zone. Another workaround here is to just use a cover (when appropriate - not when it's windy, obvi!) Parking attendants are not supposed to look under covers and without checking the make/model of your bike and your plate, they can't ticket you.
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
UTC quote
The OP's question was w/r/t help in parking on an incline on the street.
Telling her to park on the sidewalk is of no help since the sidewalk also follows the incline of the street doesn't it? You also run the risk of pissing people off if parked on the sidewalk, where those same people don't even give a vehicle on the street a thought.
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
parking on sidewalk does not fly in NYC. I started parking on sidewalk in front of my building on Staten Island. Had a ticket 3 hrs later! Also, back on topic. parking on hill facing downward seems not smart, at least for stella/px center stands. Easier to bump it off the center stand going downward instead of pushing it off facing up the hill.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
Re: Parking is a real Humbug in the City
Bazziemoto wrote:
Bob Copeland wrote:
I know some cities are stricter than others with scooter parking, but for the most part it never seems to be much of an issue. People here in Boston park on the sidewalk all the time. For the most part, meter attendants don't care (and often, they don't even know what the laws are regarding scooter parking.) I park my vintage 125 on the sidewalk in downtown Boston and outside my residence in the area where I live. Our riding group usually parks on the sidewalk in most parts of town, and the only time I know of anyone getting a ticket was when they were parking in a "no parking" zone. Another workaround here is to just use a cover (when appropriate - not when it's windy, obvi!) Parking attendants are not supposed to look under covers and without checking the make/model of your bike and your plate, they can't ticket you.
^^^that's a handy piece of info about the cover...yea if it's not plated in MA (i.e. if registered as a moped) you can legally park on sidewalks...but if it's registered as a limited use or a motorcycle then it depends on the meter maid cause they can ticket you if they want
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
swiss1939 wrote:
parking on sidewalk does not fly in NYC. I started parking on sidewalk in front of my building on Staten Island. Had a ticket 3 hrs later! Also, back on topic. parking on hill facing downward seems not smart, at least for stella/px center stands. Easier to bump it off the center stand going downward instead of pushing it off facing up the hill.
Same goes here in TO. Only mopeds with pedals are allowed on sidewalks. Mind you some creative thinkers find a way....
Vintage1 wrote:
Telling her to park on the sidewalk is of no help since the sidewalk also follows the incline of the street doesn't it? You also run the risk of pissing people off if parked on the sidewalk, where those same people don't even give a vehicle on the street a thought.
WTH Vintage? Are you trying use logic??? That sort of thing just don't fly around here sir. You just take that logical thinking and go somewhere else.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
it sounds like the bike fell on it's side due to the wind + the cover...it was parked facing uphill at an angle with the rear wheel touching the curb face...the question is was the road crowned a lot for drainage purposes?...if yes the scooter would be leaning towards the gutter (throttle side in this case, unless on a 1 way street then it could be either side) right off the bat...so the sidewalk could be a better place to park cause sidewalks aren't typically crowned due to ADA regulations...probably not legal though
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Point37 wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
it sounds like the bike fell on it's side due to the wind + the cover...it was parked facing uphill at an angle with the rear wheel touching the curb face...the question is was the road crowned a lot for drainage purposes?...if yes the scooter would be leaning towards the gutter (throttle side in this case, unless on a 1 way street then it could be either side) right off the bat...so the sidewalk could be a better place to park cause sidewalks aren't typically crowned due to ADA regulations...probably not legal though
Yes, if it's flat ground. Again, the OP and myself are talking about what's really the point here- A HILL. If the street is a hill, then the sidewalk is also a hill.

The bike fell because of the wind and the cover. everything else, IMO, was correct. Facing uphill with the rear wheel against the curb, and no cover is the best way.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
Yes, if it's flat ground. Again, the OP and myself are talking about what's really the point here- A HILL. If the street is a hill, then the sidewalk is also a hill.

The bike fell because of the wind and the cover. everything else, IMO, was correct. Facing uphill with the rear wheel against the curb, and no cover is the best way.
right...do exactly what OP did minus the cover...with no severe crown in the road park facing uphill with the rear tire touching the face of the curb with no scooter cover and throw a seat cover on for rain and maybe a grip lock for extra piece of mind...but if the road is crowned severely then there are slopes in 2 directions...one down the hill and one slightly towards the gutter...which makes for a much tougher time parking it and a much easier high wind tip over

OP do you have any friends with trailers that wouldn't mind parking it outside your place?...get a wide ramp ride it right up and tie it down...or do you have a car that you could park it right behind to shield it from the wind?
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
[quote="Point37"][quote="Vintage1"][quote="Point37"]
Vintage1 wrote:
OP do you have any friends with trailers that wouldn't mind parking it outside your place?...get a wide ramp ride it right up and tie it down...or do you have a car that you could park it right behind to shield it from the wind?
He is in San Francisco, I really doubt it is legal to park a trailer on the street. I live 30 miles outside Washington DC and the whole county you can't store trailers on the street. And that is in most of the local counties.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Correct. Generally, only in rural areas can a trailer be parked on the street.
Most places I know of, any trailer has to stay attached to it's towing vehicle at all times. And, some towns even limit how long those combos can remain parked in one place. In downtowns or other dense areas, you can't even park a single vehicle over 20' in length.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Go back and work the landlord angle. Butter 'em up, bring a box of chocolates. Explain to them how a Vespa parked in front of the building adds class, shows that hip sophisticated people live there. 8)
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
[quote="WEB-Tech"]
Point37 wrote:
He is in San Francisco, I really doubt it is legal to park a trailer on the street. I live 30 miles outside Washington DC and the whole county you can't store trailers on the street. And that is in most of the local counties.
that sucks...i guess do the same thing you were doing minus the scooter cover and plus a seat cover and maybe something to throw over your gauge cluster and see how that goes

otherwise wrap it in bubble wrap every time you ride it...move...sell the scooter and buy a monkey/grom/z125 or some other small displacement motorcycle with a solid side stand...i'm running out of ideas

generally a solid side stand is more stable...2 tires on the ground and the side stand, 3 points of contact spread out plug weighted to the stand...center stand you have 2 points of contact very close sharing the load and then 1 tire barely taking any load since they are not typically weighted front to back equally...the wind catches the bike enough on the center stand to rock the bike from the front tire to the rear a few times, get the fuel sloshing around in the tank and it could be enough to get it off the center stand...

but in this situation being parked facing uphill on a diagonal...i'm not sure that is possible...what's the gap under the rear or front tire when it's on the center stand where you park?...i would jam a few house shingles under the tire so there is no rocking...all that being said i don't trust the side stand on my scooter at all unless i was to put a grip lock on it and park it against the face of the curb...and i don't trust the center stand unless i am on level ground in at least 1 direction
⚠️ Last edited by Point37 on UTC; edited 1 time
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Point37 wrote:
generally a solid side stand is more stable...2 tires on the ground and the side stand, 3 points of contact spread out plug weighted to the stand...center stand you have 2 points of contact very close sharing the load and then 1 tire barely taking any load since they are not typically weighted front to back equally so both tires are off the ground...the wind catches the bike enough on the center stand to rock the bike from the front tire to the rear a few times, get the fuel sloshing around in the tank and it could be enough to get it off the center stand...

but in this situation being parked facing uphill on a diagonal...i'm not sure that is possible...what's the gap under the rear or front tire when it's on the center stand where you park?...i would jam a few house shingles under the tire so there is no rocking...that being said i don't trust the side stand on my scooter at all unless i was to put a grip lock on it and park it against the face of the curb...and i don't trust the center stand unless i am on level ground in at least 1 direction
Every scooter I've owned has the rear tire on the ground when on the center stand. I've never had none that floated in the air with both tires off the ground. Scooters are pretty heavily rear weighted given the engine placement.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
Point37 wrote:
generally a solid side stand is more stable...2 tires on the ground and the side stand, 3 points of contact spread out plug weighted to the stand...center stand you have 2 points of contact very close sharing the load and then 1 tire barely taking any load since they are not typically weighted front to back equally so both tires are off the ground...the wind catches the bike enough on the center stand to rock the bike from the front tire to the rear a few times, get the fuel sloshing around in the tank and it could be enough to get it off the center stand...

but in this situation being parked facing uphill on a diagonal...i'm not sure that is possible...what's the gap under the rear or front tire when it's on the center stand where you park?...i would jam a few house shingles under the tire so there is no rocking...that being said i don't trust the side stand on my scooter at all unless i was to put a grip lock on it and park it against the face of the curb...and i don't trust the center stand unless i am on level ground in at least 1 direction
Every scooter I've owned has the rear tire on the ground when on the center stand. I've never had none that floated in the air with both tires off the ground. Scooters are pretty heavily rear weighted given the engine placement.
All GT/GTS/GTV Vespas have the FRONT tyre firmly on the ground.

The only bikes I've had that could 'wobble' happily on the centre stand were the Piaggio X9s when fitted with a top-box, especially the X9 500.
OP
@citygirlscoot avatar
UTC

LX 150

@citygirlscoot avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
This is correct. I'd have to go and find a flat sidewalk and if I do that, I'd have to park on the street anyway since we cannot be parking on sidewalks. I've seen parking police ticket people for the littlest things.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0992s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0142s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]