Piaggio Fly 150: strange sound coming from/nearby rear wheel
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Piaggio Fly 150
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:27 am quote
After a ride, When I put the scooter on the center stand and turn off the engine, the rear wheel keeps spinning and comes to a stop after 10-20 seconds. Within this time period, I am noticing a strange sound (friction sound/grinding type sound) from the rear wheel or nearby it. Here is the video of this issue (please hear it on a headphone for clarity):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F_5_BAeuz4

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong? Thanks.
Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:42 am quote
I don't think you have anything to worry about, sounds normal to me.
Molto Verboso
lx 50
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:50 am quote
Er Id say something is wrong.

Your wheel shouldnít be driven/spinning at idle.

So Iíd say your clutch isnít releasing so would start there.
Molto Verboso
lx 50
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:51 am quote
But listening again your idle sounds high so maybe that needs reducing which will allow the clutch to release.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:09 am quote
The wheel spinning after the engine stops is normal. (It's due to the wheel's inertia.)

The wheel does seem to be spinning a little fast when the engine is idling. Your idle may be set too high. Some spinning is normal; it should stop quickly when you lightly apply the brake. (The rear wheel can continue to spin, or spin up to a low speed even after a complete stop because of the friction in the bearing between the clutch and the wheel.)

Turn the engine off and spin the wheel by hand. Do you still hear a noise? Again, some noise coming from the bearing is normal, and you may get a little rubbing sound if the brake pads don't retract. Check out any louder scraping or rumbling sounds. See if there's any side to side play in the wheel.
Molto Verboso
lx 50
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:32 am quote
What even if heís physically stopped by applying the brakes, got off, then put it in on the stand.

No that wheel is being driven.
Piaggio Fly 150
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:59 pm quote
flyangler wrote:
I don't think you have anything to worry about, sounds normal to me.
Thanks for your reply. The sound may not be clearly audible due engine sound in the beginning of the video. However, if you hear the last 4 seconds of the video, there is an unusual sound.
Piaggio Fly 150
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:03 pm quote
northernerbill wrote:
But listening again your idle sounds high so maybe that needs reducing which will allow the clutch to release.
Thanks for your reply. How to reduce idle speed? Is it simple enough to fix it myself, or, I should go to a mechanic?
Ossessionato
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:10 pm quote
Is your Fly 150 carbureted or fuel injected? If carb'd the idle is a simple adjustment. If FI it's not so simple, but it may not be necessary.
Piaggio Fly 150
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:18 pm quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
The wheel spinning after the engine stops is normal. (It's due to the wheel's inertia.)

The wheel does seem to be spinning a little fast when the engine is idling. Your idle may be set too high. Some spinning is normal; it should stop quickly when you lightly apply the brake. (The rear wheel can continue to spin, or spin up to a low speed even after a complete stop because of the friction in the bearing between the clutch and the wheel.)

Turn the engine off and spin the wheel by hand. Do you still hear a noise? Again, some noise coming from the bearing is normal, and you may get a little rubbing sound if the brake pads don't retract. Check out any louder scraping or rumbling sounds. See if there's any side to side play in the wheel.
Thanks for your suggestion. I tried spinning the wheel by hand. There is a moderate noise. I can not hear it while driving, but I can hear it when the scooter is stopping. Here is the type of sound I heard while spinning by hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ZU2BJWKRU

Does it seem ok?
Piaggio Fly 150
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:21 pm quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Is your Fly 150 carbureted or fuel injected? If carb'd the idle is a simple adjustment. If FI it's not so simple, but it may not be necessary.
Its carbureted.
Ossessionato
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:37 pm quote
I listened to the video. It does sound loud. Is there oil in the final drive gears?

I wouldn't worry about the idle yet. It doesn't act like it's spinning so fast that the clutch is engaged.
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:15 pm quote
Itís your brake shoes rubbing against the hub. Itís normal.
Molto Verboso
lx 50
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:19 pm quote
Yeh I think thatís quite possibly the brakes rubbing which theyíre meant to.

But the reason your hearing this while the bike is on the stand, and none of us hear while our bikes are on the stand is because your rear wheel is still being driven and ours arenít.

As above if itís got a carb, there will be a thumb screw on the side of it to adjust idle. But be warned there is another that adjusts mixture so take note of how much you turn it in case you adjust the wrong one.
Hooked
2006 LX 150, 2008 Buddy 125
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:09 pm quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Itís your brake shoes rubbing against the hub. Itís normal.
That seems normal to me as well. Mine is a little louder if I spin it backwards rather than the forward direction.
Ossessionato
09 190s taormina
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:27 pm quote
Towhid wrote:
Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?
Loose clutch nut? Would eventually make contact with the bell and noise and wheel spin at idle could be symptoms. Would pop off the trans cover for a look.
Enthusiast
Lx 50 4t
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:34 pm quote
I had a noise like this awhile back. I think mine was louder tho. I ended up opening the gear cover and replaced 2 bearings. Soon as I replaced them it was quiet! Not sure if youíre mechanically inclined to do this tho?
Piaggio Fly 150
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:30 pm quote
Thanks everyone for your attention to my post.

Overall, I have accepted this noise as usual/normal wheel rotating sound. I will update here if this sound leads to an mechanical issue.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1503s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0373s) ][ Debug on ]