@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
Long before buying a Vespa I purchased a pair of Nike Mavrk prescription sunglasses with progressive lenses. Turns out they were excellent for blocking out the sun, and keeping wind out of my eyes at 45 MPH. However the lenses were very dark so I had to switch glasses when the sun went down, and all my regular glasses are way too small to provide any acceptable coverage for wind.

Unfortunately my beloved sunglasses fell victim to a wave runner spill in the Caribbean last week. I miss them on sunny rides to work, and they are an absolute must when scooter season comes back around.

I ordered replacement Nike sunglasses, but I need to have lenses made. So here's my question: would transition lenses in my sunglasses be acceptable? Do they get dark enough when riding into the sun as it dips just over the horizon? Or should I stick to dark glasses during the day, and buy another pair with untinted lenses for night time riding?

Before you waste your time typing, I don't want a full face shield.
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
UTC quote
I got a pair of Serengeti Granadas with the espresso lenses. They were on sale for CDN$ 249.99 and I must say they are the best sun glasses I have ever worn, summer sun, winter snow just perfect all round viewing. Even good night glasses. Give them a try.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
I have two pair of Transitions, one for driving (pre-tinted medium amber changing to dark amber) and the standard clear darkening to grey. Neither likes to change in the car thanks to the window, hence the tinted pair, and the same might be true under a helmet shield.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
I have a pair of Ray Bans which are large enough to protect the eyes and dark enough for most sun, but not so dark I can't see if the sun starts to go down. Both of my helmets have both a clear shield and a secondary sun shield. When I am driving into intense, in the face sun, I lower the sun shield over my sunglasses and it is usually perfect. It is easy to slide the sun while up when not needed, and if dark I can take off the sunglasses and just use the clear shield.

My helmets are a 3/4 HJC helmet and a modular Shark helmet usually used in the 3/4 position

hope this helps

larry
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Re: Suggestions for sunglasses
FrankNBrew wrote:
...Before you waste your time typing, I don't want a full face shield.
How about a 3/4 helmet with a sun visor? See HJC IS33 II for example. They can be worn with or without the face shield. The sun visor is built in. 8)
@troutbum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL

Ossessionato
@troutbum avatar
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
UTC quote
Checkout Epoch Eye Wear. https://epocheyewear.com They get great reviews.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
I switch glasses. Transitions cost too much for a cheep bastard like me. I ride scooters and there's room under the seat for extra glasses.
OP
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
I don't need suggestions for sunglasses. The Nike Mavrk are perfect for my face-large enough, and tight to my face, keeppng dust and wind out of my eyes. My issue is with the lenses, and night time riding. I'm trying to buy lenses that will eliminate the need to pull over and switch glasses when the sun goes down (progressive lenses are necessary to see distance, and read instruments). The lenses are going to be rather expensive so I would prefer to buy one set that gets the job done adequately, if possible, rather than buy 2 pairs of Nike Mavrk sunglasses with progressive lenses.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
So you want transitions.
There are two types one changes faster, you want that one.
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"
UTC quote
Photochromic for Driving
I haven't used them personally, but last time I bought Transitions, they had an upsell product that changed quickly even if you were in a car. Might do what you want.

(Added) I know you don't want a face shield, BUT, Transitions does make photochromic shields for some helmets. You could get clear progressive lenses (which I wear, as well) and some gravel/bug/debris face protection at the same time.

They're not cheap, though.

Good luck.
⚠️ Last edited by 25BIKEZ on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Hooked
Looking

Hooked
Looking
UTC quote
Priority 1: Shatterproof.
For riding, I always choose cheap glasses that kept wind off my eyes, and wouldn't break if I got hit with a stone.
Style was so far down the list I couldn't see it.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
I have Ray-Ban (sport type) subscription sunglasses and 2 pairs of transition glasses. I find I rarely put the Ray-Bans on as the newer transition lenses do a good job.

If I'm taking a long ride I will put the Ray-Bans on but generally don't bother.
@collinsd65 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 50

Enthusiast
@collinsd65 avatar
LX 50
UTC quote
Might be worth a conversation with an optician?
I work for a major optical lab. There are so many options at ur disposal.
Ask her questions. She is trained to get it right the first time.

P. S. Hope we have the pleasure of making ur glasses. Good luck my friend.
@gotmojo avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300, BV250

Hooked
@gotmojo avatar
GTS 300, BV250
UTC quote
Re: Suggestions for sunglasses
Spend the money on good glass. You want something that effectively filters out wavelengths of light and doesn't just make things darker.

I really like the Costa 580G lenses. EXCELLENT optics. Great contrast and clarity in all lighting conditions. I can wear mine well into dusk in the summer and can still see pretty well. They are polarized lightweight glass, not plastic (although they have a simliar line of those). Yes, glass. No they don't spontaneously 'shatter' and will be a lot more scratch resistant than any plastic.

Not cheap but IMO well worth it.
OP
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
Re: Photochromic for Driving
25BIKEZ wrote:
I haven't used them personally, but last time I bought Transitions, they had an upsell product that changed quickly even if you were in a car. Might do what you want.
I think I found what you're talking about. They are called Transitions Drivewear. Costco has these available. I'll probably take a look at these lenses. If anybody has experience with Transitions Drivewear I would love your opinion. Thanks!
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
Transitions XTRActive also work in a car, and show grey colors, if the Drivewear colors don't match your Vespa!
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Prescription here. Not much help other than the one's I've got. Costco had a buy one get on 50% off deal. So I bought the regular glasses and got my shades half off.
@collinsd65 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 50

Enthusiast
@collinsd65 avatar
LX 50
UTC quote
Quote:
I think I found what you're talking about. They are called Transitions Drivewear. Costco has these available. I'll probably take a look at these lenses. If anybody has experience with Transitions Drivewear I would love your opinion. Thanks!
That's what I was thinking. Drivewear is polarized, and is photo reactive.
Costco is very good...
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Ray ban aviator vs $30 bike racing shades
I have tried them both on my Prima Touring. Wearing the Ray Bans, the wind coming off the low shield would hit me square in the face, where if I wore my bicycle racing glasses which are curved, the wind did not buffet me as hard in the face and was more comfortable to ride. They are not the snake eyes shape but more full rounded curving out. A lot cheaper than the Ray Bans to replace if I brake them.
I know I could get a bigger windshield but I like the look of the low shield on the Vespa.

I do wear a helmet with a visor.
OP
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
collinsd65 wrote:
Quote:
Costco is very good...
Costco would not install lenses in my Nike frames. So I went to SVS Vision (local chain where I got my original Nike prescription sunglasses) and ordered new Transitions Xtractive progressive lenses with antiglare coating. I decided to get Xtractive over the Drivewear because they have almost no tint in the dark, and get the darkest in the sun. I spent a small fortune on the lenses, so I hope they work out well. I'll update this post in a few months when weather allows me to test them out on a warm sunny day into the evening sunset ride.
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"
UTC quote
FrankNBrew wrote:
collinsd65 wrote:
Quote:
Costco is very good...
Costco would not install lenses in my Nike frames. So I went to SVS Vision (local chain where I got my original Nike prescription sunglasses) and ordered new Transitions Xtractive progressive lenses with antiglare coating. I decided to get Xtractive over the Drivewear because they have almost no tint in the dark, and get the darkest in the sun. I spent a small fortune on the lenses, so I hope they work out well. I'll update this post in a few months when weather allows me to test them out on a warm sunny day into the evening sunset ride.
Curious about cost? TIA
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
I have some Oakley Straights. 8)
The prescription was sent through to the USA and my shades arrived about a month later.
Not cheap...!
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Interesting discussion, thanks for the info.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Re: Ray ban aviator vs $30 bike racing shades
Mabecane wrote:
I have tried them both on my Prima Touring. Wearing the Ray Bans, the wind coming off the low shield would hit me square in the face, where if I wore my bicycle racing glasses which are curved, the wind did not buffet me as hard in the face and was more comfortable to ride. They are not the snake eyes shape but more full rounded curving out. A lot cheaper than the Ray Bans to replace if I break them.
I know I could get a bigger windshield but I like the look of the low shield on the Vespa.

I do wear a helmet with a visor.
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
zenni.com

Great options for all prescriptions.
OP
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
25BIKEZ wrote:
FrankNBrew wrote:
collinsd65 wrote:
Quote:
Costco is very good...
Curious about cost? TIA
$579 before insurance. $343 after. Just the lenses. I provided the frames. 😢
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"
UTC quote
Thanks.
FrankNBrew wrote:
25BIKEZ wrote:
FrankNBrew wrote:
collinsd65 wrote:
Quote:
Costco is very good...
Curious about cost? TIA
$579 before insurance. $343 after. Just the lenses. I provided the frames. 😢
Yikes. Thanks for the info. Good luck!
@michaelg avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4 187

Hooked
@michaelg avatar
ET4 187
UTC quote
FrankNBrew, back in my golfing days I did a lot of experimentation with different lens shades for sunglasses.

I suppose my area here in Germany is similar to yours in Michigan. We get lots of blue skies and bright sunshine, yet the countryside is quite green. i found out, like for the golf course and for Vespa riding, a 40% brown shade works best. Not dark at all, yet the harsh sunlight is well filtered. Plus the vibrant greens of the golf course and countryside are great. Also in cloudy conditions, the brown glass was more friendly than gray tones.

Just my opinion.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
UTC quote
Alenn's said this first-SAFETY! I kind of like having my vision.

Not that some folks want to hear or follow this idea but: My state and many others requires "safety glasses" for riding, an often broken law, no doubt. Most plain ole sunglasses do not qualify, prescriptions aside. If you wear them behind the helmet shield that's safe, otherwise the reality is that "some day" a bug, rock, sand, etc., will come your way. Look at the front of any car after a few miles and the proof is always there.
i don't wear prescription glasses and like the better fitting safety glasses in clear and tinted. An industrial supply or welding supply has good options for rated and proper fit.
As a reading glass wearer, I do use safety rated reading glasses at times and many other types of goggles, shields and glasses in my shop and farm work.
Sight, not a thing to mess with?
UTC

Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black (donated)

Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black (donated)
UTC quote
I purchased a transition face shield for my Shoei. Used it last year and it worked fine. The only complaint I would have is that in very bright light, the tinting effect isn't that strong, but it is acceptable. "Lightens" up fairly quickly when going from full sun into shade (certainly no worse than sunglasses or transition glasses). Since my cataract surgery, I don't need distance vision lenses, so the range of choices expanded greatly for me.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Transition Glasses - Medium Impact
The transition are not dark enough in the bright sun and to dark inside.
This obviously is my personal take on them.

I have super dark prescription sunglasses specifically for riding. When I am off the scoot I switch to my regular glasses.

I am not as concerned about wind because I wear a shielded helmet.
When I flip up the front of the helmet there does not seem to be much of a problem with wind because I also have a full windscreen on the scooter.

Bob Copeland
Cold in MInnesota
Flip front helmet with dark-dark sunglasses
Flip front helmet with dark-dark sunglasses
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Re: Transition Glasses - Medium Impact
Bob Copeland wrote:
The transition are not dark enough in the bright sun and to dark inside.
This obviously is my personal take on them.

I have super dark prescription sunglasses specifically for riding. When I am off the scoot I switch to my regular glasses.

I am not as concerned about wind because I wear a shielded helmet.
When I flip up the front of the helmet there does not seem to be much of a problem with wind because I also have a full windscreen on the scooter.

Bob Copeland
Cold in MInnesota
Really? I find they work well and outside and they have no issue inside. I think it depends on the quality of the lenses you buy. It can take a bit for them to transition back when inside after coming out of the sun but it's only about a minute. All my glasses are transition and it's really zero problem even in a pretty bright indoor environment. For in the sun, let's just say I only use my sunglasses for really bright days when I know I will have them on for a while. They do work better but they are a pretty dark tint.

For sunglasses I use prescription RayBan that are soft so in a collision they don't potentially smash in to my face. The type I wear also offer great peripheral vision and limit light leakage.

FWIW here is a pic of my sunglasses.

I think there are a lot of variables here so your milage may vary. I do always get whatever the best is and polarized is a given. Sight is important and while my eyes have sort of sucked since I was about 5 I do try and give my eyes the best I can.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@tommylittlescooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus

Molto Verboso
@tommylittlescooter avatar
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus
UTC quote
I have a horrible habit I could never seem to kick. Had Oakley's, Raybans, Serengeti that all had two things in common. Polarized and left in a rental car. It's Walmart fishing glasses for here on out. Tired of losing $200.00 sunglasses.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
tommylittlescooter wrote:
I have a horrible habit I could never seem to kick. Had Oakley's, Raybans, Serengeti that all had two things in common. Polarized and left in a rental car. It's Walmart fishing glasses for here on out. Tired of losing $200.00 sunglasses.
I've been lucky over the years. I've lost one pair of expensive sunglasses and sat on one pair of glasses. I always have to buy 3 pairs when I get a new prescription. 2 eyeglasses and one pair of sunglasses.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
I got a pair of these to keep in the car just in case I didn't have my prescription sunglasses with me. They're safety glasses with side shields built in, they fit over my regular prescription glasses, and they're only about $6. They're not quite as good as my prescription sunglasses but they work well enough for driving.

They fit in a full face helmet. I'll give them a try when I get back on a scooter. I don't like looking through three layers of plastic (glasses, sunglasses, face shield) but I think they'll be good enough for "emergency" use. If the safety glasses add distortion it's not noticeable. 8)
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
I got a pair of these to keep in the car just in case I didn't have my prescription sunglasses with me. They're safety glasses with side shields built in, they fit over my regular prescription glasses, and they're only about $6. They're not quite as good as my prescription sunglasses but they work well enough for driving.

They fit in a full face helmet. I'll give them a try when I get back on a scooter. I don't like looking through three layers of plastic (glasses, sunglasses, face shield) but I think they'll be good enough for "emergency" use. If the safety glasses add distortion it's not noticeable. 8)
You know, Kraig, I can barely recognize you from that photo. Razz emoticon

At this price, I think I should buy a dozen. Mrs. fledermaus has a penchant for losing anything sunglass-related and I swear, buys an half-dozen a year.

My glasses come with magnetic sunglasses, which work well, but I'm a bit scared to open my visor at speed, as I imagine turning my head might see some pricey sunglasses flying away. Crying or Very sad emoticon Actually came apart last year zooming through KY....I found the other half in my crotch, which historically seems to catch bits that fall off while riding.
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"
UTC quote
Fit Overs
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:

I second the fitover idea. I've been using them for years over my prescription eyeglasses. I get non-polarized ones for use in flying and they don't interfere with LCD screens in my cars. I get them online at a place called Sunglass Rage.

You have to be able to stand a second set of arms behind your ears, though and, as mentioned above, the fit inside a helmet can be tight.
@michaelg avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4 187

Hooked
@michaelg avatar
ET4 187
UTC quote
i'm amazed at the prices folks are willing to pay for....propaganda.

eyeglass lenses do not have to be visibly dark black for extreme sunlight eye protection. this is completely idiotic.

but go ahead and do what you think is best.

me. i would rather not give so easily what i earn, to yet another talker.

your choice.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
MichaelG wrote:
i'm amazed at the prices folks are willing to pay for....propaganda.

eyeglass lenses do not have to be visibly dark black for extreme sunlight eye protection. this is completely idiotic.

but go ahead and do what you think is best.

me. i would rather not give so easily what i earn, to yet another talker.

your choice.
Huh?

No one is saying sunglasses need to be dark black to work. I don't think anyone has said that in this thread or even alluded to it.

There IS a difference in the quality of lenses and besides when you buy for example Ray-Bans with a prescription you choose the lenses. Better lenses have MUCH better scratch protection and I wear progressives. There are I believe other threads here that do point out that bargain lenses are not as good at it.

Besides what are we talking about here? A couple of hundred bucks? For something you wear ALL THE TIME I see no problem with spending good money on my eyes. I have things like sweaters and boots I have spent more money on than my "fancy" propaganda eyewear.

Why ride a Vespa? Are they also not part of the propaganda machine?

The value of something is up to the individual. I'll admit spending $1,000 plus on a really fancy pair of designer glasses is not something I would do but if someone wants to do it.. sure, let em' . But a couple of hundred bucks for a decent frame? I don't find that outrages.
UTC

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
So you want transitions.
There are two types one changes faster, you want that one.
^^^What he said.

That being said, I've always found transitions type lenses to never be as bright or as dark as the ones devoted to being just one or the other.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1778s ][ Queries: 44 (0.1373s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]