Vespa VBB Foot Brake and Switch
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Hooked
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:29 am quote
Near the end of my 62 VBB ground up restoration and the cables are my next job

I have wired up and installed the Brake switch on the side of the Centre Tunnel and fitted the brake pedal itself on to the pivoting rod that comes out from the body.

Where I'm confused is that it appears that the button on the brake switch is always compressed and is only released when the foot brake is applied.

Is this correct? I ask as in my head it feels like it should work the other way around.

I have a 12v conversion which came with a Baja brake switch in case this makes any difference.
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:39 am quote
The original VBB electrical system was a "balanced AC" system, and the way the brake light worked was that the circuit was normally shorted to ground, then when the pedal was depressed, the ground short was broken and the power went through the bulb, instead.

To switch to 12V, you'll need to get the "normally open" switch (which it sounds like your kit came with), as you'll now be running off a shared 12V circuit for the brake light, so pressing the pedal will result in the circuit closing to activate the light.

I had to struggle with this, too, when I converted my VBB to 12V.

Got some pictures?
Hooked
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:57 am quote
chandlerman wrote:
The original VBB electrical system was a "balanced AC" system, and the way the brake light worked was that the circuit was normally shorted to ground, then when the pedal was depressed, the ground short was broken and the power went through the bulb, instead.

To switch to 12V, you'll need to get the "normally open" switch (which it sounds like your kit came with), as you'll now be running off a shared 12V circuit for the brake light, so pressing the pedal will result in the circuit closing to activate the light.

I had to struggle with this, too, when I converted my VBB to 12V.

Got some pictures?
Thanks, Chandlerman - from your description, it sounds like its correct then - I just always thought in my head that the brake pedal when applied would push in that switch to apply the rear brakes.

I will try to update the post with a photo when I'm back in the workshop.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2154s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0648s) ][ Debug on ]