timing chain guide
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
2007 Vespa GTS 250
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:08 pm quote
My mechanic installed new rollers and belt onto my 2007 Vespa GTS 250. When he handed me the key and said that I was all set, jumped on it, took off and could already feel the difference. A mile down the road the bike started making this loud scraping shrieking grinding noise. I immediately returned to the shop and turned it off because I thought that it was going to explode. I called the mechanic out and I explained the situation. He said “turn it on so I can hear”. Reluctantly I fired it up and immediately he said “turn it off!! Turn it off”! He took it inside and because I was curious to find out what had happened. He saw me walk into the shop and so he explained very calmly that the nut to the variator and come of because he had not tightened enough. Well I thought that the motor had exploded but he said that it was fine and put it all back together and fastened the CVT cover. I thanked him (don’t know why? He could have left me stranded far far away. Anyway, he pulled the scooter out of the shop and then went to start it........nothing. It would not start. I said it him “what did you do?” He said that what had happened had nothing to do with the fact that the bike would not start. He told me to leave it overnight so he could look into the issue. He claimed that the exhaust valves had bent by themselves and that I needed a new head and valves!! Mind you the bike ran perfectly when I gave it to him. I bit the bullet and said to go ahead with the service. 3 weeks later, he still has the bike, I’m ready to kill him, he sends me a text saying that the timing chain guide was broken in two and needed to be replaced. I have a feeling that whatever he did caused the variator to jam and skip and grind causing the guide to break and that’s why the bike would not start, not a new head, not bent valves. Can anybody please shed some light on my dilemma because I have to pay him 1600.00 dollars for the repair. Can anyone let me know if in fact the timing chain guide broke due to the variator spinning and catching and scraping on the CVT cover. And if the guide was broken would my Vespa have started with it in two pieces. I believe he mis diagnosed the problem to cover his butt. Wouldn’t I hear a broken piece if the timing chain guide when I start the motor? Please help me guys. I need some ammo to confront this mechanic. Cheers

8864698F-6003-4757-8F90-B7ECA8714A41.jpeg
Notice the broken piece at the top

Addicted
2009 LX 150, 2008 GTS 250
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:30 pm quote
I would say the shop likely owes you the repair at their cost. Check out this thread:

vespa gts300 starting engine without variator on

Bill
Lurker
2007 Vespa GTS 250
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:06 pm quote
Thank you cosmos
Cosmos wrote:
I would say the shop likely owes you the repair at their cost. Check out this thread:

Bill
Lurker
2007 Vespa GTS 250
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:09 pm quote
Thank you for that info, but he clearly denied that one had nothing to do with the other
Lurker
2007 Vespa GTS 250
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:09 pm quote
Thank you cosmos
Cosmos wrote:

Bill
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:20 pm quote
GTS250Venicehangin wrote:
Thank you for that info, but he clearly denied that one had nothing to do with the other
This is the one time you should trust strangers on the internet over people you've met in real life.
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(40,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(9,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(28,000)
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:52 pm quote
I'm a DIY advocate for this example of incompetent behavior. My Honda had a bad crankshaft oil seal. I was perfectly capable of doing it myself but it was covered by the warranty. The first dealer service department couldn't diagnose the problem. So I spelled it out for the second dealer and they did exactly the same thing as your mechanic did. The damage wasn't as bad but a $6 oil seal cost me $120 for a new variator because they hid the damage and denied any wrong doing.
I realize there are a lot of competent mechanics out there and I commend them but you have to trust people to do the right thing if you can't DIY.
I hope this mechanic steps up and does what they should and not steal from you. good luck!
Hooked
300 GTS, Stella 4T
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:53 am quote
Take your bike back and call the Better Business Bureau and possibly a lawyer. The mechanic already admitted he did the repair wrong, anything after that is their fault.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:09 pm quote
Big Daddy SnakeOiler wrote:
Take your bike back and call the Better Business Bureau and possibly a lawyer. The mechanic already admitted he did the repair wrong, anything after that is their fault.
I don't think the better business bureau or lawyers fix Vespas. So I am curious as to how calling either of them will get his bike fixed.
Hooked
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:06 pm quote
I almost did this to my BV250. The variator didn't go on right and I should have stopped but I didn't. It caused the timing chain to just come off with no valve damage. As the other thread said never run a Quasar engine without the variator in place correctly and tight or you will have this problem.

I wish you luck with your mechanic you have a fight ahead of you. But as Motovista said Lawyers and BBB will never get your scooter fixed. He knows what he did just talk to him and tell him what you know.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2689s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0304s) ][ Debug on ]