Just bought an MP3 with issues
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
MP3 IE 400
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:56 pm quote
Hi everybody,

I have just bought myself an mp3 400ie that needs a bit of therapy, it has an immobilizer fault, its been stood a fair while and when you try and start it you get a single flash followed by 3 more flashes then it comes on permanently, iv'e have searched google and it tells me that the transponder is not recognised ?
Possible reasons for the transponder not being recognised.
1. The wrong key is being used. It is possible for two keys to have the same cut profile on different vehicles (there are limited number of profiles). If the keys were mixed up you could turn on the ignition but the immobiliser would not recognise the chip. 2. The key you are using has not been programmed into the immobiliser.

the wierd bit is i have both the master and the service key and i even have the code card ??

Any ideas or possible next step ??

Regards Darren.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:16 pm quote
How's the battery? If it's sat a while it could be no good.
A not FULLY charged battery causes problems with these MP3s.

I don't think the wrong or mixed up key is a possibility unless you bought it from a dealer who had more than one MP3 on the floor.
MP3 IE 400
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 pm quote
not sure on the battery voltage, everything lights up bright as it should but the imobiliser doesn't turn off, would the battery cause this ?
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:25 pm quote
Did you know it had known issues when you bought it, or did the seller say it's not a big deal?

There's so many things that go wrong on the MP3 that don't happen on other scooters due to it having more complicated or, at the very least, different systems, that I feel a used MP3 is a risky and complicated choice for the uninitiated.
MP3 IE 400
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:28 pm quote
yes i knew it had this problem ( i won't have it home until Sunday) but i bought it very cheap
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 250, BigBeo
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:17 am quote
A very possible thing is an immo antenna, which might be rusty or so. Another possibility is ECU/immo reprogramming attempt (faulty).

Can you start the engine?
MP3 IE 400
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:04 am quote
According to the immobilizer guide on here

LED OFF
LED ON
3 x 0.5 sec.
Phase 1 Phase 2 Phase 3
1. Immobiliser programmed 2. Transponder is not detected 3. Ignition is not possible
0.7 sec.
FAULT: Transponder is not recognised.
The immobiliser has seen the transponder chip so you know that the chip in the key is intact and the aerial is working correctly.
Possible reasons for the transponder not being recognised.
1. The wrong key is being used. It is possible for two keys to have the same cut profile on different vehicles (there are limited number of profiles). If the keys were mixed up you could turn on the ignition but the immobiliser would not recognise the chip. 2. The key you are using has not been programmed into the immobiliser. See PAGE 9 for details of programming

So according to that the immobiliser is working and the aerial is working correctly and the key is not being recognised and i have to use the master key to code it to the immobiliser ! unfortunately it doesn't tell you what to do when the master key isn't recognised either
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:57 am quote
Worst case, you'll need a new throttle body, which comes "virgin". It needs to be mated with your master key, and with the other computers in your bike. I don't remember the process, but I recall that it was pretty complicated, and *very* expensive.

Call ScooterWest and see if they can help you. They might be able to extract the master key code from the ECU in your existing throttle body and reprogram a new red/brown master key. Then you can just have it cut and program your blue keys to it yourself.

The question is why the key went bad in the first place. Did someone replace the throttle body? Did the throttle body get bricked somehow?
MP3 IE 400
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:57 am quote
The bike had been parked up for a couple of years with a flat battery and after a new one was fitted it failed to recognise the keys. I have since read in the service manual that if it fails to recognise the master key then it is an ecu fault.
Hooked
mp3 500 sport
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:02 am quote
I had similar problem was told at bike shop I need a new throttle body so off I went ordered one and fitted still same problem in end rang a dealer in derby told me over phone how to do it yet other dealer told me it couldn’t be done if you look through Manuel it tells you how to pair new throttle body with master key
MP3 IE 400
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:10 am quote
Its sorted now 👍 I replaced the ecu/throttle body and it's now up and running
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:34 am quote
Thanks for letting us know! Sorry it was so expensive (new TB/ECU), but you said earlier that you picked it up cheaply, so here's hoping the total was a bargain!
MP3 IE 400
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:13 am quote
I bought the ECU plus ignition barrel and master key second hand from from France, but it was still £300
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2523s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0380s) ][ Debug on ]