@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"
UTC quote
I've read the threads about polyurethane bushings tightening up the responsiveness of the steering on the GTS.

I have different questions: is there a way to use the rubber bushings front and rear to soften the jolt of sharp edged potholes and road surface transitions?

Would adding rubber fender washers as shims to thicken the amount of rubber isolating the shock help? Different, softer compound?

I've already played with the shock presets (I have a carbone on the front and stock shocks on the rear).

I'm just looking to soften the initial jolt until the shock stiction/spring stiffness is overcome.

I've got 4600 miles on a 2010 GTS300.

TIA.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
That is just part of having very little wheel travel and small wheels.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
UTC quote
Might steer around those potholes. They can ruin a wheel, tire or shock, or, worse yet, cause a wreck. Tiny wheels cannot "do" potholes no matter what as said.
The riders weight factors into the equation and these scooters only carry a certain amount well. Shock bushings wont take effect unless you've hit something you should miss?
I think my scoot rides pretty soft?
OP
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"
UTC quote
Thanks
Yeah, the GTS might be a bit small for me.

I've had a Majesty, Burgman, and Helix (plus motorcycles), and those bigger, longer scooters soaked up the bumps better.

Kentuckid, I hear you about avoiding the holes, but my town is years behind in street maintenance, and I'd be zigging and zagging like a maniac on many of my local roads.

I've got a set of City Grips to replace the Shinkos this week, and will run the pressures on the low side of the OEM recommendations to see if that changes the equation.

If not, I might have to look for a bigger scoot, with bigger wheels, even though I enjoy everything else about the Vespa.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
I think someone once posted about being pulled over by the police because they thought he was riding under the influence, and they let him go when they realized he was just trying to avoid the potholes in the road.
The only way I know of that you can really do what you are trying to do is to keep the pressure on the low side in your tires.
OP
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
I think someone once posted about being pulled over by the police because they thought he was riding under the influence, and they let him go when they realized he was just trying to avoid the potholes in the road.
The only way I know of that you can really do what you are trying to do is to keep the pressure on the low side in your tires.
Thanks.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0497s ][ Queries: 9 (0.0236s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]