Picked up my MP3
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Fri May 10, 2019 1:07 pm quote
Hi Slomo,

The 2019 MP3s are not HPE, even though Piaggio advertised them as such. For some reason the HPE engines didn't get to the US and they sold the new 2019 models with the older engine.

I have been told by Piaggio US that the HPEs will be here in a few months as the 2020 model.

It's a great scooter if you can wait for it.

Fri May 10, 2019 5:14 pm quote
Thanks for the uplifting timing. The last sales rep I talked to told me “this time next year.” Either way (and I hope you are right!) I will miss the too-short midwestern riding season. I intend to wait, this time around, as I was one of the first 2007 MP3 250 purchasers, and soon thereafter mildly regretted not waiting longer for the bigger engine! Not making the same error twice - I will allow myself to make different mistakes though. Rode her for twelve years though, so not too big of an error...
mpfrank wrote:
Hi Slomo,

The 2019 MP3s are not HPE, even though Piaggio advertised them as such. For some reason the HPE engines didn't get to the US and they sold the new 2019 models with the older engine.

I have been told by Piaggio US that the HPEs will be here in a few months as the 2020 model.

Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Fri May 10, 2019 6:30 pm quote
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
Thanks for the uplifting timing. The last sales rep I talked to told me “this time next year.” Either way (and I hope you are right!) I will miss the too-short midwestern riding season. I intend to wait, this time around, as I was one of the first 2007 MP3 250 purchasers, and soon thereafter mildly regretted not waiting longer for the bigger engine! Not making the same error twice - I will allow myself to make different mistakes though. Rode her for twelve years though, so not too big of an error...
mpfrank wrote:
Hi Slomo,

I was also a 2007 250 buyer. Then the 400s came out. Luckily the 250 got totaled in 2008 and, when I could ride again, I got a 400 which I have had for eleven years. After 40,000 miles it just seemed time to move up.

BTW, slomo, welcome to MV. It's a good place.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Fri May 10, 2019 10:50 pm quote
So i was right ? Piaggio USA rebadged old stock with repainted springs and rims
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Sat May 11, 2019 12:50 am quote
No Maksor, they did not. They sent the new model of the MP3, not old stock. They just put the old engine in it. I actually have one of these. I don't know why you keep insisting otherwise.

The US 2019 MP3 500 has the new shocks (not repainted), the new 4-grommet windscreen, the new colors, the new wheels and tires - everything but the new engine and exhaust.

Enough, already.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Sat May 11, 2019 1:11 am quote
Because as said earlier Piaggio Italy cannot produce the old Euro3/4 engine anymore they are no use to them anymore due to emmissions they only make the newer euro 4 engines

and the shocks are the same only red springs sold a few of them all ready to customers
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Sat May 11, 2019 7:08 am quote
Maksor wrote:
Because as said earlier Piaggio Italy cannot produce the old Euro3/4 engine anymore they are no use to them anymore due to emmissions they only make the newer euro 4 engines

and the shocks are the same only red springs sold a few of them all ready to customers
You are making my point. The 2019 US MP3 Sports have the Euro 3 engine, evidently left over from a couple of years ago. The Euro 4 engine is still in the US approval process. These older engines were installed in the new model scooter.

The front shocks may be the same, but the rear shocks are a different design from the 2018 US shocks, with a different adjustment. It doesn't match the picture in the manual that came with the scooter, nor does the provided pre-load adjustment wrench fit them.

The thing is, you are speculating. I actually own one of these things and can look at it.

To recap: new wheels and tires, new 4-grommet windscreen, new colors, new rear shocks, new seat, new mirrors, old engine, old manual.
Addicted
2019 MP3 500 HPE Business
Sat May 11, 2019 7:29 am quote
mpfrank wrote:
To recap
In summary. .... that cosmetics for the United States
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Sat May 11, 2019 8:33 am quote
frcx94 wrote:
mpfrank wrote:
To recap
In summary. .... that cosmetics for the United States
Not just cosmetics. It's the whole new model - just like the Euro model - except for the engine.

And some of them were badged "hpe" when they were not.

Mon May 13, 2019 8:21 am quote
Hi mpfrank,

What do you mean by “approval process” for Euro 4 engine? I thought the earlier engines were being dumped on the US imports just because it was profitable to do so, not because of regulatory issues.

Trying hard to wait for hpe but obviously struggling.

Glad to finally be posting on this forum. Was previously just an occasional reader...
mpfrank wrote:
Maksor wrote:

You are making my point. The 2019 US MP3 Sports have the Euro 3 engine, evidently left over from a couple of years ago. The Euro 4 engine is still in the US approval process. These older engines were installed in the new model scooter.

The front shocks may be the same, but the rear shocks are a different design from the 2018 US shocks, with a different adjustment. It doesn't match the picture in the manual that came with the scooter, nor does the provided pre-load adjustment wrench fit them.

The thing is, you are speculating. I actually own one of these things and can look at it.

To recap: new wheels and tires, new 4-grommet windscreen, new colors, new rear shocks, new seat, new mirrors, old engine, old manual.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Mon May 13, 2019 10:45 am quote
i still think Piaggio HQ italy wont burn there fingers on something like that

advertisment for the north and South America is done by Piaggio USA for the States, Canada Mexico and so on

its also cheaper to change parts and badges localy then shipping new models over with old engines that aren't produced anymore

it was the same with the old 500 in the US Piaggio stopped production for the Fuoco in the beginning of 2009 and started again end 2011 with a Silver frame stopped end of 2012 and started with Fuoco LT in 2014 till 2016

and you did have 2009, 2010 and 11 models same as the older ones those where old stock also
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Mon May 13, 2019 1:29 pm quote
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
Hi mpfrank,

What do you mean by “approval process” for Euro 4 engine? I thought the earlier engines were being dumped on the US imports just because it was profitable to do so, not because of regulatory issues.

Trying hard to wait for hpe but obviously struggling.

Glad to finally be posting on this forum. Was previously just an occasional reader...

That's what I was told by the head of sales for Piaggio USA. I wasn't given an exact date. My speculation is that they really intended for the 2019s to be HPE, but something got hung up in the works and they built the IE models as a stopgap.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:51 am quote
2020 US models coming in...
Hi!

Just noticed a few US dealers are getting what appears to be the hpe model. Given the history here, just checking on VIN number. Here’s one for sale:
ZAPTA10XXL5000011
Model Code ETRSHTCUS4

Experts, please let me know if the VIN and model code seems like it really is hpe. The exhaust looks right to me (and it is labeled hpe on the body.)

Thanks!
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:24 am quote
Re: 2020 US models coming in...
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
Hi!

Just noticed a few US dealers are getting what appears to be the hpe model. Given the history here, just checking on VIN number. Here’s one for sale:
ZAPTA10XXL5000011
Model Code ETRSHTCUS4

Experts, please let me know if the VIN and model code seems like it really is hpe. The exhaust looks right to me (and it is labeled hpe on the body.)

Thanks!
Hi Slomo,

Where is this?

Thanks.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:23 am quote
Vespa Downer’s Grove IL has a 2020 model.
mpfrank wrote:
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
Hi!

ZAPTA10XXL5000011
Model Code ETRSHTCUS4

Thanks!
Hi Slomo,

Where is this?

Thanks.
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:49 am quote
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
mpfrank wrote:
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
Hi!

ZAPTA10XXL5000011
Model Code ETRSHTCUS4

Thanks!
Hi Slomo,

Where is this?

Thanks.
Yep, it looks just like my 2019 except for the dark colored engine and the new exhaust. Can't tell for sure until they list the specs. Should have 44 horsepower. The low VIN number, 11, indicates it is a new model year. BTW, my 400 was also number 11 in 2008.

Mine was labeled HPE on the body in error, so that's what I though I was getting. After some go-round with Eric Larson, Piaggio US director of after sales, he told me that Piaggio will swap mine for a 2020 and pay for my first service on each scooter.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:28 am quote
Maksor wrote:

advertisment for the North and South America is done by Piaggio USA for the States, Canada, Mexico and so on.

its also cheaper to change parts and badges localy then shipping new models over with old engines that aren't produced anymore
Piaggio produces bikes for the North American market in dedicated production runs. They may use different components in their assembly including engines than they do for European production carried out at the same time. They are not "old stock" however, as all production for the US and Canadian markets (don't know about Mexican regulatory procedures) must comply with required specifications and consist of engines and other specific parts that have gone through inspection and certification. That is why new models often appear in the US the year after they appear in Europe. Remember some of the issues with the 300 upgrade of the GTS. Piaggio shipped some upgraded GTS bodies here with the already certified 250 engine because the 300 had not been certified yet. There was even the same mix-up where Piaggio labeled a few of the bikes 300 even though they actually had the 250 engine.
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:54 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
Maksor wrote:

advertisment for the North and South America is done by Piaggio USA for the States, Canada, Mexico and so on.

Piaggio produces bikes for the North American market in dedicated production runs. They may use different components in their assembly including engines than they do for European production carried out at the same time. They are not "old stock" however, as all production for the US and Canadian markets (don't know about Mexican regulatory procedures) must comply with required specifications and consist of engines and other specific parts that have gone through inspection and certification. That is why new models often appear in the US the year after they appear in Europe. Remember some of the issues with the 300 upgrade of the GTS. Piaggio shipped some upgraded GTS bodies here with the already certified 250 engine because the 300 had not been certified yet. There was even the same mix-up where Piaggio labeled a few of the bikes 300 even though they actually had the 250 engine.
I believe that this is exactly what happened. Unfortunately, Piaggio made a big announcement about the 2019 MP3 500 HPE coming to the US in October 2018, dealers had it on their web pages, and some of them were mis-badged.

As long as they follow through with what I was promised, I'll be happy.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:01 pm quote
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response. I am delighted to hear you may finally get the scooter you bought as advertised. I hope Piaggio makes good on their promise!

Slomo
mpfrank wrote:
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
mpfrank wrote:
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
Hi!

ZAPTA10XXL5000011
Model Code ETRSHTCUS4

Thanks!
Hi Slomo,

Where is this?

Thanks.
Yep, it looks just like my 2019 except for the dark colored engine and the new exhaust. Can't tell for sure until they list the specs. Should have 44 horsepower. The low VIN number, 11, indicates it is a new model year. BTW, my 400 was also number 11 in 2008.

Mine was labeled HPE on the body in error, so that's what I though I was getting. After some go-round with Eric Larson, Piaggio US director of after sales, he told me that Piaggio will swap mine for a 2020 and pay for my first service on each scooter.
Enthusiast
mp3 500 '08
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:25 am quote
new200guy wrote:
Liking that Matte Black.

I am waiting on my 1000km service, so no riding at the moment.

Snowed today too

Waiting for the warmer weather to really enjoy riding and rack up those miles.
Awesome MP3!! enjoy

I enjoy the winters here in the NYC.

https://youtu.be/wDlPi_jzWg4
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.2732s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0520s) ][ Debug on ]