Picked up my MP3
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous123
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:57 am quote
Hi Fred,

Welcome to the club.

I don't use the foot brake at all. For one thing, when you come to a stop, how would you get your foot off the brake pedal and onto the ground before you fall over? (I know, just lean to the left. But that's not always the best way to go.)

Also, in a quick stop situation, it seems that it would take longer to get the foot up over the pedal than to actuate the hand brake levers. For me, riding with my foot always on the pedal would just be inviting a leg cramp.

If having a foot brake were any kind of an actual advantage, they would also be on the BVs and Vespas, right? Obviously they are only there so Europeans can ride on their car license.

Anyway, I'm glad you are adapting to, and enjoying, your new ride.
Piaggio MP3 HPE Sport ABS-ASR
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:35 pm quote
Post purchase update .

Still getting used with not being able to filter as good as with the Burgie.. and the scooter has the tendency to understeer in tight turns like the highway turn belts. On the plus I like how it sounds and how it goes.

I log every fillup and on my last one had the bad surprise to get 7.25 liters/km. Don't know the reason, but definetly it's not normal. Tire pressure it's alright.

Here's a regular commute for me. Second part it's on the national roads I was talking about.

https://youtu.be/lgF3fDCety8
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:43 pm quote
fredkreuger wrote:
I log every fillup and on my last one had the bad surprise to get 7.25 liters/km. ...
You need to double check the math. Your bike is consuming about as much fuel as a Bugatti at full throttle.

Theoretically if it really consumed that much the bike would run out of fuel in under 2 kms.
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:07 am quote
sbaert wrote:
fredkreuger wrote:
I log every fillup and on my last one had the bad surprise to get 7.25 liters/km. ...
You need to double check the math. Your bike is consuming about as much fuel as a Bugatti at full throttle.

Theoretically if it really consumed that much the bike would run out of fuel in under 2 kms.
Sorry, I ment /100kms. I'm thinking maybe the second fillup wasn't a propper fillup even if I pumped till the fuel pistol clicked

Last edited by fredkreuger on Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Hooked
2019 MP3 hpe 500 sport Advanced " Missy "
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:08 am quote
sbaert wrote:
fredkreuger wrote:

I agree! He needs to check his calculations! Something is deffinitly wrong here !!
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:01 am quote
It is a bit early to focus on consumption until you've logged about 2500 kms and the engine is fully run in. I think the real number to focus on is your overall average (indicated by 4.68L/100km) as opposed to average since last fill up.

Mine (2015 Euro spec 500ie) gets about the same overall fuel consumption.

A few things I have observed after nearing 4 years of ownership.

The MP3 gets the best mileage when riding steady between 60 & 90 km/h. Keeping proper tire pressure has a tremendous impact on consumption figures. I keep my fronts at 2 bar, the rear at 2.5 bar at all times.

Above 100km/h fuel consumption increases. Above 120 km/h fuel consumption increases alarmingly (as in above 9L/100km)

0-50km/h hurts overall fuel economy, so adjust your riding style to minimize stops and stay in the sweet spot between 60 & 90 km/h whenever possible and safe to do so.

If maximum fuel mileage is your goal, learn to read the road ahead and ride in ECO mode whenever in the 60-90 zone.

Using my own calculations using GPS independent of the bike's inaccurate odometer and trip computer, I normally get around 230-240kms between fill ups, and I usually always fill up as soon as the fuel light triggers leaving at least around 2 liters in the tank. The best range I have ever gotten was somewhere around 280-290kms. I always refill until fuel reaches the neck of the fuel tank, making my calculations fairly accurate. If you go by the first click of the pump, you have no idea how much empty capacity remains.
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:30 am quote
sbaert wrote:
It is a bit early to focus on consumption until you've logged about 2500 kms and the engine is fully run in. I think the real number to focus on is your overall average (indicated by 4.68L/100km) as opposed to average since last fill up.

Mine (2015 Euro spec 500ie) gets about the same overall fuel consumption.

A few things I have observed after nearing 4 years of ownership.

The MP3 gets the best mileage when riding steady between 60 & 90 km/h. Keeping proper tire pressure has a tremendous impact on consumption figures. I keep my fronts at 2 bar, the rear at 2.5 bar at all times.

Above 100km/h fuel consumption increases. Above 120 km/h fuel consumption increases alarmingly (as in above 9L/100km)

0-50km/h hurts overall fuel economy, so adjust your riding style to minimize stops and stay in the sweet spot between 60 & 90 km/h whenever possible and safe to do so.

If maximum fuel mileage is your goal, learn to read the road ahead and ride in ECO mode whenever in the 60-90 zone.

Using my own calculations using GPS independent of the bike's inaccurate odometer and trip computer, I normally get around 230-240kms between fill ups, and I usually always fill up as soon as the fuel light triggers leaving at least around 2 liters in the tank. The best range I have ever gotten was somewhere around 280-290kms. I always refill until fuel reaches the neck of the fuel tank, making my calculations fairly accurate. If you go by the first click of the pump, you have no idea how much empty capacity remains.
Thanks for the advice. On my last scooter I used to fill to the brim, but in the MP3 manual is stated many times to not top the fuel. Will see on the next fillups if the average goes down. If you check my commute video you will see that my riding style is nowhere near what you described as ideal
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:46 am quote
If nothing else sticks, at least get that first service done at or just before reaching 1000km.

That is the most important service that bike will ever get, and usually indicates how the long term ownership experience will turn out.

The only time my bike saw a Piaggio dealer was that first visit at 1000km to adjust the headstock bearings and perform the complimentary service. Even so, I have the impression that dealers are pretty stingy when it comes to lubing those critical bearings.

I double checked mine a couple of days after that service, and I managed to inject a entire cartridge of grease into the headstocks until grease was liberally being pushed out at each of the 4 bearings. That makes me think the dealer probably only gave it a couple of quick pumps.

In all my decades of working on cars, I've never seen a bearing go bad from having too much grease.
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:24 pm quote
Unfortunately I don't have any experience working on cars or bikes nor the time to experiment.. even worse, my bike is going to be kept outside and used every day. I bought a cover for it, at least to keep it out of the rain as much as I can.. During the day it has the luxury of staying in an underground parking... I tought it's worth the investment in safety. My other scoots were crammed along with other bikes under a bridge

My last scoots had all the revision done on time on dealerships and this one will have it the same way. I've never had a technical problem.

Already booked the revision for 1000 kms next week. This matters a lot when eventually you trade them for a new bike. For example my Burgman was 1 year old when I traded it for the MP3 but had 14000 km(I bought it new), and it was in perfect working order. I kindoff plan on doing at least 3-4 times the distance I did with the burgie on the MP3 but I don't know if I'm gonna keep this scoot more then one year after the warranty expires. I have a friend with a 500 Business IE with 120k kms on board who is.. as me.. not very technically inclined. All he did was respecting the appointments with the service. If the dealerships do they're job these scoots should run well and long with no major problems.
For example, whenever I came back from a revision, I always had the correct tyre pressure, break handles greased, and everything adjusted.

For me it's mostly utillitary. I use it every day to get to work and to avoid staying locked in a car for hours or in some yoga position in public transport.
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:48 pm quote
For me the MP3 is strictly utilitarian as well, but just be very vigilant about those bearings.

It is the Achilles heel of the MP3, and when they cause problems it is always very expensive.

But it doesn't have to be that way, and the investment is minimal. You just need the special bolt and a grease gun and maybe a helper.

Just sayin'
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:46 am quote
Last fill up got 5l/100km . Still seems to be more than the claimed 4l/100km by Piaggio. Probably the consumption will go down after breaking the engine in
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous123
[ Time: 0.3157s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1684s) ][ Debug on ]