ABS sensors catching on tone wheel
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
MP3 500 LT sport abs
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:50 am quote
HI all After replacing side yoke bearings when pushing bike around to go on test run I heard a catching noise but took no notice after 20 miles all was well when the ABS light came on steady and the ASR light flashing I carried on using bike but could not find fault after a time I went to go a ride when bike would not ref up I found if I pressed ASR disconnect button it was OK again To some up I think when I put back sensors after taking out to do bearings they was touching tone wheel that caused fault and brought up warning lights When I took them out to clean the sensors they was catching worse that's what caused the bike to not ref up I have changed battery just in case and left it off all night to try to clear fault codes I have but in my smallest feller gauge .30 and done sensors up till they touch but they was not done up tight One sensor was visibly worn but although you could see contacts under plastic they was not worn through ??? cannot under stand why nobody else as had this and there is no adjustment anyway ?? any helpful comments would be appreciated
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:54 am quote
You put something back together wrong or it wouldn't hit.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:52 pm quote
Donít know how much it applies on your machine, But any washers or spacers you take off must go back on the side that they came from. And also what side of the sensor they came from. This has caused a similar issue on other motorcycles.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:39 pm quote
Re: ABS sensors catching on tone wheel
meteor45 wrote:
HI all After replacing side yoke bearings when pushing bike around to go on test run I heard a catching noise but took no notice after 20 miles all was well when the ABS light came on steady and the ASR light flashing I carried on using bike but could not find fault after a time I went to go a ride when bike would not ref up I found if I pressed ASR disconnect button it was OK again To some up I think when I put back sensors after taking out to do bearings they was touching tone wheel that caused fault and brought up warning lights When I took them out to clean the sensors they was catching worse that's what caused the bike to not ref up I have changed battery just in case and left it off all night to try to clear fault codes I have but in my smallest feller gauge .30 and done sensors up till they touch but they was not done up tight One sensor was visibly worn but although you could see contacts under plastic they was not worn through ??? cannot under stand why nobody else as had this and there is no adjustment anyway ?? any helpful comments would be appreciated
the sensors SHOULD NOT touch the ring. the holes spaces is what the sensors read to determine signals though magnetic fields., on/off or 1 and 0 .
MP3 500 LT sport abs
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:06 am quote
Hi thanks for replies If you look at parts diagram there is only one washer on screw that holds sensor on this is on outside of sensor so makes no difference to gap I rang piaggio dealer up and he said you can put washer on screw after the sensor as been put on this did make a gap but don't know why I needed them may be I did them up to tight ,anyway warning lights still on I disconnected battery and left all night to get rid of fault codes but no good, rang dealer up and he said this does not always work and sensors may be damaged I cannot get bike in till 15/11/19 so I will let you know outcome Thanks
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:16 am quote
I donít know if it applies here, but on some of my other motorcycles, once you fix whatever caused a code, the code doesnít always clear right away. I had to ride the bike a bit and then it went off.
MP3 500 LT sport abs
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:33 pm quote
Yes but sometimes fault codes have to be knocked off with the appropriate equipment still I hope that's all it is
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:24 pm quote
meteor45 wrote:
Yes but sometimes fault codes have to be knocked off with the appropriate equipment still I hope that's all it is
OR you can clear the codes by disconnecting the battery and shorting the two battery wire leads together for at least 20 minutes. This discharges the keep alive memory circuit in the ECU and codes are gone.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2412s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0526s) ][ Debug on ]