Fuel starvation, carby swaps and corn in your tank...
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
PX150 and 1 drowned P200,
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:24 am quote
So excuse the art house photo stylings... but everything is better with pictures.

I had picked up a "running" 2005 PX150 and started trying to sort it out. After running into some fuel issues I peaked inside the tank and saw more rust than a coastal farm. It was far worse when I pulled the tank. There was like a gritty sandy material inside. It was bizarre. I once did a rebuild on a 72 primavera that sat for 30 years in a kwanzza hut and that tank was gorgeous by comparison.

Consensus is that the muck and grit was ethanol residue. . I guess it absolutely is worth looking for straight gas without corn in it.

Anyway... Threw in an aftermarket tank and went about rebuilding the Spaco carb. Worked OK but died after a few miles and would overflow the float chamber pretty fast.

Went back and rebuilt the carb a second time... Soaked in a carb cleaner bath for 24 hours, blew out with air.

Same result. After about a mile carb clogged and fuel starved engine dies.

*scratches head*

Mrrrph.... so I had an old original 79 Dellorto 20/20 from P200 (I had upgraded to a 24/24 on the P200 in like 2008.) Cleaned it up and threw it in the pX150 and it is running like a scalded cat.. well almost.

Seems like it will only run with the petcock flipped to reserve? Any thoughts other than pulling the tank and noodling with the tap? BTW I tested the new tank for flow and leaks it before dropping into the scoot and fuel flowed in the "on" position". (Maybe just not enough. )

Tank.JPG

Tap.JPG

Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:45 am quote
Most likely got that same kind of crud in the passages of the fuel tap. Those can be rebuilt. Most people just replace them though.

I rebuilt a carb on a VNB. No matter what I did, the new float would hang up either closed or wide open. I finally just replaced the carb with a Spaco. No problems since.
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:37 pm quote
Hey man! Been a while... hope you have been well. Yeah, it's a new fuel tap. I have been running it on reserve for now. Will pull and adjust at some point.
Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:53 pm quote
It's probably just some junk that got into fuel tap.
Hooked
PX 150
Thu May 09, 2019 1:26 pm quote
Interesting, but my 2005 PX 150 does not have a reserve position on the fuel tap. They did away with it because they added a low fuel warning light. If you have a 2005 with a reserve position, that is not the OEM fuel tap. If I ever change the fuel tap I will add one with a manual reserve.
Thu May 09, 2019 2:49 pm quote
Quote:
Anyway... Threw in an aftermarket tank and went about rebuilding the Spaco carb
^^^
Should have been more clear... the aftermarket tank was a general p series tank had a tap with all three positions.

BTW - issue was solved.
Gas leak bugaloo
2019 Spring Gathering - May 16 - 19, Location TBD (Likely Maggie Valley, NC)   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2651s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0347s) ][ Debug on ]