My mp3 400 2009 keep cutting off when I release the throttle
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400ie
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 66
Location: philippines
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:51 pm quote
Hello guys, maybe somebody can help me how to fix my mp3.. engine keep cutting off after I release the throttle but sometimes it doesn't. I notice that when i start the engine it started out fine but after 2 minutes of idling engine started to splutter then slowly the engine will cut off. My mechanic is out of tiown and will be back after 2 weeks. If only somebody can help me find the problem so I can take it for a ride this weekend. thank you guys in advance.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37401
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:11 pm quote
The idle bypass in the throttle body probably needs cleaning.
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 3889
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:58 pm quote
jimc wrote:
The idle bypass in the throttle body probably needs cleaning.
Yes.

Get some throttle body cleaner spray. Do not use carburetor cleaner - it could damage the electronics.

I did this twice on my MP3 400 to correct the same problem.

BTW, the dealer couldn't figure this out.
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400ie
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 66
Location: philippines
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:04 pm quote
mpfrank wrote:
jimc wrote:
The idle bypass in the throttle body probably needs cleaning.
Yes.

Get some throttle body cleaner spray. Do not use carburetor cleaner - it could damage the electronics.

I did this twice on my MP3 400 to correct the same problem.

BTW, the dealer couldn't figure this out.
Thanks Mpfrank and Jimc for the replies.. ill try to fix it but is there a video i csn watch to get into the throttle body and see how and where exactly should I spray it on?
Hooked
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 271
Location: Uk rochdale
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:02 pm quote
I just had a quick look online and couldn't find a video but its a very simple job to do. it takes around 4 minutes to remove throttle body. no plastics need to be removed other than of course the engine cover under the seat.
undo the 2 jubilee clips each end of body.
undo the screw that holds the cable to throttle body behind injector ( hex head screw )
remove cable from ecu
undo fuel line on injector if you need more room to get man hands in
you can leave throttle cables in place but this means your unable to take throttle body fully out but that does not matter.
now all you need to do is wiggle that bugger around till you get it out of the rubbers each end.
it should be all dirty inside and the by pass holes are in the tunnel on the wall in both ends. if you want to make sure its blocked just get some oil and try to make it go into hole in one end and if bunged up it does not come out the other. this is the hole that needs cleaning and of course whilst your there clean the butterfly as well. all very simple but it sounds so much more complicated than it actually is. iv known dealers charge £300 for doing this job and having the scooter all day. knowledge is everything
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400ie
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 66
Location: philippines
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:47 pm quote
buddyspudface wrote:
I just had a quick look online and couldn't find a video but its a very simple job to do. it takes around 4 minutes to remove throttle body. no plastics need to be removed other than of course the engine cover under the seat.
undo the 2 jubilee clips each end of body.
undo the screw that holds the cable to throttle body behind injector ( hex head screw )
remove cable from ecu
undo fuel line on injector if you need more room to get man hands in
you can leave throttle cables in place but this means your unable to take throttle body fully out but that does not matter.
now all you need to do is wiggle that bugger around till you get it out of the rubbers each end.
it should be all dirty inside and the by pass holes are in the tunnel on the wall in both ends. if you want to make sure its blocked just get some oil and try to make it go into hole in one end and if bunged up it does not come out the other. this is the hole that needs cleaning and of course whilst your there clean the butterfly as well. all very simple but it sounds so much more complicated than it actually is. iv known dealers charge £300 for doing this job and having the scooter all day. knowledge is everything
thank you very much ill try to play with it later.
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500
Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 77
Location: Chandler, AZ
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:16 am quote
I've had this problem three times over the years and twice it turned out to be a dead cell in the battery. Installed a new battery and the problem was gone. Once it was worn spark plugs and a very dirty air filter. (I sucked up yard debris/clippings on one of my rides somehow!)
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7087
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:42 pm quote
buddyspudface wrote:
I just had a quick look online and couldn't find a video but its a very simple job to do. it takes around 4 minutes to remove throttle body. no plastics need to be removed other than of course the engine cover under the seat.
undo the 2 jubilee clips each end of body.
undo the screw that holds the cable to throttle body behind injector ( hex head screw )
remove cable from ecu
undo fuel line on injector if you need more room to get man hands in
you can leave throttle cables in place but this means your unable to take throttle body fully out but that does not matter.
now all you need to do is wiggle that bugger around till you get it out of the rubbers each end.
it should be all dirty inside and the by pass holes are in the tunnel on the wall in both ends. if you want to make sure its blocked just get some oil and try to make it go into hole in one end and if bunged up it does not come out the other. this is the hole that needs cleaning and of course whilst your there clean the butterfly as well. all very simple but it sounds so much more complicated than it actually is. iv known dealers charge £300 for doing this job and having the scooter all day. knowledge is everything
OR, you can take the intake hose off and spray "Throttle body cleaner" (NOT CARB CLEANER) into the small port in the intake while slightly reving the motor to clean the idle port.
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400ie
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 66
Location: philippines
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:48 am quote
Thank you very much guys for your help.. I did everything you guys suggested and now the prob is fixed
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2231s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0372s) ][ Debug on ]