RacingBros air suspension? What about YSS?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
Vespa P200E
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:37 pm quote
Hello everybody.

After foolishly selling my GTS300 a few years ago, I was off in motorcycle land for a while. First on a 1976 BMW R75/6 which I loved to look at, but hated to ride, then on a 2013 Honda CB1100, which was stylish and smooth, but weighted a ton and made no sense for puttering around in the city.
All the easy playfulness of a scooter was lost, and I realized that I'm a Vespa guy at heart. So last week I sold the Honda, and bought a red 2010 GTS300, and promised myself that for the money I had left over from selling the Honda I would get to do some lovely upgrades.

First, shocks! In the premium sector of aftermarket shocks there seems to be two major players - Bitubo and Malossi (with their RS24), and Zelioni perhaps representing the ultra premium.
But now there is a wildcard - RacingBros, with their spring-less air Bazooka air suspension. They have four varieties of front shocks, 1.0-4.0, progressively with additional features. They are pricy - their 2.0 level shock comes in at $302 (at SIP), but it's at least less than a Zelioni.

So the question is, does anybody here have any feedback on these, or for that matter, any air shocks, for any vehicle? I'm pretty curious, and the equally expensive Fournales brand shocks for vintage Vespas often get rave reviews.
You set the preload by pumping the appropriate amount of air into them, around 50-70psi. They recommend using their specialized pump, but at first glance it looks like you could just use a bicycle foot pump.

For $540 I can get a front/rear set of Bitubos, tried and true, or if I feel experimental, for $563 I COULD get a 2.0 Bazooka in the front, and a pair of Malossis for the rear. (getting all Bazookas is too expensive)
Or I could go the "cheap" route, and get all Malossis for $440. People seem to like them about as much as Bitubos, but durability doesn't seem as good.

And finally, another wildcard I don't hear much about is YSS. They are a strong suspension maker for all kinds of vehicles, but I don't hear much about them for Vespas. A set of the nicest ones on SIP runs about $508, splitting the difference between Malossi and Bitubo. I'd love to hear opinions of these, if anyone has any.

Just like most of us, I'm looking for a responsive, planted ride, while keeping things nice and comfy.
Anyway, I'm excited to be back on a Vespa, and to be back in the community!

Mathias

Last edited by mathias on Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
BV 350
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:52 pm quote
Generally
Generally air suspension is more useful if you have a widely-varying load to carry. You can 'stiffen' the spring by adding air, so the suspension does not sag.

Problems including pressure changing with changes in the temperature. The progressive spring rate of compressed air provides very little spring at full extension, and very stiff spring at full compression. On dirt bikes they'd add a reservoir so the volume of working air was increased, flattening the curve somewhat. These don't seem large enough for that. I doubt they have a position-sensitive damping setup on the shock to match the rate curve. So you end up with overdamped and undersprung at full extension, possibly giving the impression of a wallowy ride, and oversprung and underdamped at full compression, making for a 'bouncy' ride. And whenever you raise or drop the pressure, you should, ideally, change the damping as well. Lots of room for sub-optimal results.

I think on some touring bikes they have shocks with steel springs and air 'helpers'. The Bazooka site indicates that they are purely air-sprung. And most touring bikes have on-board compressors to change sag on the fly.

I guess if you had the money to waste (in case they didn't work out), and confidence in your ability to 'tune' them, they'd be worth a try.
Hooked
Vespa P200E
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:00 pm quote
Thanks Jimding!

That's a lot of useful information. Sounds like a lot of opportunities to get things wrong. I'm not sure if I'm brave (or wealthy!) enough to be a pioneer on these...

There has been a lot of discussion over the years about the Bitubo and Malossi options, but I feel like I should still consider the other alternatives.

There are the YSS ones, but are there any others that I'm forgetting about?
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:09 pm quote
Zelioni is an expensive shock. It's not a better shock than Malossi or Bitubo. Zelioni is pretty, not performance.
If you really want high end performance shocks, Ohlins and Mupo and a French company I can't think of at the moment are probably as good as it gets for Vespa. Mupo shocks are incredible, and it's hard to find anyone who doesn't like Ohlins shocks.
I looked at the air shocks, and they are interesting. If I had one, I would definitely give it a try. If they are being used on the track, that's usually a sign that they perform well. My experience with air shocks in general (Starting with Gabriel Hijackers quite a few weeks ago, and the shock on my BikeE) though is that they start to leak much sooner than air/oil shocks.
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:34 pm quote
How will the upgraded suspension improve "puttering around in the city"? If the aim is simply to spend money then wouldn't you of done better just buying a brand new GTS 300 HPE with the improved engine? It also comes with new (unused) suspension that's fitted at the factory.
Hooked
Vespa P200E
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:44 am quote
Motovista wrote:
Zelioni is an expensive shock. It's not a better shock than Malossi or Bitubo. Zelioni is pretty, not performance.
If you really want high end performance shocks, Ohlins and Mupo and a French company I can't think of at the moment are probably as good as it gets for Vespa. Mupo shocks are incredible, and it's hard to find anyone who doesn't like Ohlins shocks.
I looked at the air shocks, and they are interesting. If I had one, I would definitely give it a try. If they are being used on the track, that's usually a sign that they perform well. My experience with air shocks in general (Starting with Gabriel Hijackers quite a few weeks ago, and the shock on my BikeE) though is that they start to leak much sooner than air/oil shocks.
Yeah, I admit to the Zelionis being appealing just base on their looks. But I'm shooting for better performance, not just bling.

I didn't know that Ohlins made bits for Vespas, and being Swedish I should be partial to those. But the fact that it's confusing to just figure out how to buy them, let alone how much it would cost (and I'm sure it's too much), kind of rules them out.

I've never heard of Mupo... Who even sells those?

I think I'll pass on the air shocks, and probably will go with Malossi. But I'll keep my eyes open for any reviews on the Bazookas, if anybody dares be the guinea pig!
Hooked
Vespa P200E
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:56 am quote
robinm wrote:
How will the upgraded suspension improve "puttering around in the city"? If the aim is simply to spend money then wouldn't you of done better just buying a brand new GTS 300 HPE with the improved engine? It also comes with new (unused) suspension that's fitted at the factory.
How could improved suspension NOT be good for city riding?
When zooming around potholes and trolley tracks while dodging four lanes of traffic, it sure helps to have a stable, responsive scooter. And why shouldn't one want to get across town in a little more comfort?
I would argue that good suspension matters more in the city than on the highway.

Also I'm not sure how buying a new $7500 GTS would help. They are certainly lovely, but the shocks are still the same $65 (front, at SIP) budget units that I already have, albeit with fewer miles.

Is anybody's aim ever simply to spend money?
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:44 pm quote
mathias wrote:
So can you mention what's wrong with the current suspension you have? is it bottoming out over bumps? have you adjusted it to your weight? on both sides? are you a "normal" weight? Surely the 12" wheels on a Vespa are the issue when it comes to potholes?
mathias wrote:
Err, yes, quite a few on here. Some folk just want to make their scooters different to others. Some just like to spend money. Some want to encourage others to spend money. A few even believe they can do things better.
Hooked
Vespa P200E
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:22 am quote
robinm wrote:
mathias wrote:
So can you mention what's wrong with the current suspension you have? is it bottoming out over bumps? have you adjusted it to your weight? on both sides? are you a "normal" weight? Surely the 12" wheels on a Vespa are the issue when it comes to potholes?
mathias wrote:
Err, yes, quite a few on here. Some folk just want to make their scooters different to others. Some just like to spend money. Some want to encourage others to spend money. A few even believe they can do things better.
I agree that 12" wheels IS a big factor when it comes to stability and ride comfort, but not as much as on a classic Vespa, where you'll have 10", or even 8", wheels. After riding full size motorcycles for a few years instead of a Vespa, it's was actually quite remarkable to learn that 12" wheels don't bring a bigger penalty than they do.

But, as hundreds of posts from people who has discovered Bitubos and Malossis will attest to, there is still much that can be done. It's not so much that any specific this is wrong (as in, defective), but that I'm hoping that some things can be improved.
I would like better stability over bumps, less dive at stops, better tracking on high speed turns on rough pavement, less jarring over potholes. A little more gliding, a little less bouncing.

I will grant you that spending money on farkles often goes overboard, but for people with an engineer-type of mindset, constantly trying to improve everything around you is a way of life!
Hooked
Vespa P200E
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:54 am quote
Alright, I looked into YSS a little further.

The upper-end YSS shocks (they call them "Topline") really seem to be the real deal.
6-7 years ago I had a P200E, and when I bought new shocks for it, I got a Malossi RS24 for the front, and an YSS E-series for the rear. At the time the Malossi was $205 and the YSS $175, but when looking at the craftsmanship and materials, the YSS was the nicer shock.

The YSS ones that might compete with Bitubos and Malossis are the TRC (front, $260) and the TR (rear, $240 for a pair). For most GTS Vespas they are, more specifically:

VU302-240TRC-03
https://www.yss.co.th/product-detail.php?id=9332&vehicle_type=&brand=&model=&year=&keyword=Vespa%20GTS&page=1

and

TZ302-340TR-10O
https://www.yss.co.th/product-detail.php?id=6769&vehicle_type=&brand=&model=&year=&keyword=Vespa%20GTS&page=1

Compared to the Bitubo and Malossi options, these offer one more degree of adjustability:

The front has the usual preload and rebound damping adjustments (though rebound is akwardly adjusted at the top of the shock, not a bit deal), but also compression damping, adjusted at the reservoir. Nice.

The rears go past the basic preload of the Bitubo and the Malossi (actually I'm surprised that those only have preload adjustment), and adds rebound damping, adjusted at the bottom this time.

But here is where we get into trouble. The threaded preload adjuster of the YSS TCs are at the TOP! The adjuster is the spoke type, where you poke a stick into a hole in the collar and turn it, often multiple turns to adjust up and down the threads.
As far as I can tell, there is no way of accessing this adjustment when the shock is installed on the scooter!

There is a possibility that I'm misreading the pictures, of course. But it seems that since YSS makes these shocks for tons of different brands and models, in some cases they haven't quite accounted for the practical use in all of them.

I might still consider an YSS TRC front, with something else at the back.

There are those who would say, just stick a set of Bitubos in there and be done with it. In the end it might be what I'll do, but in the meantime I enjoy doing this kind of research too much to just skip over it.
Hooked
GTS 250
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:35 am quote
mathias wrote:
I didn't know that Ohlins made bits for Vespas, and being Swedish I should be partial to those. But the fact that it's confusing to just figure out how to buy them, let alone how much it would cost (and I'm sure it's too much), kind of rules them out.
The Ohlins are from Ohlins Indonesia and only made for the Sprint/Primavera: https://ohlinsindonesia.com/products/motorcycle/vespa

I attempted to get the front shock working on my 2007 GTS, and realized that it would require converting to the ESS front caliper carrier and fork. Not worth it for me, and ended up selling the shocks on the forum.
Hooked
Vespa P200E
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:50 pm quote
AnnDee4444 wrote:
The Ohlins are from Ohlins Indonesia and only made for the Sprint/Primavera: https://ohlinsindonesia.com/products/motorcycle/vespa

I attempted to get the front shock working on my 2007 GTS, and realized that it would require converting to the ESS front caliper carrier and fork. Not worth it for me, and ended up selling the shocks on the forum.
Good to know, thanks!
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:38 pm quote
AnnDee4444 wrote:
The Ohlins are from Ohlins Indonesia
YSS are from Thailand. Most everyone with aftermarket shocks uses them here.
Cheaper than OEM.
Hooked
Vespa P200E
Wed May 01, 2019 7:59 am quote
waspmike wrote:
AnnDee4444 wrote:
The Ohlins are from Ohlins Indonesia
YSS are from Thailand. Most everyone with aftermarket shocks uses them here.
Cheaper than OEM.
I'd have no hesitation buying shocks that are made in Thailand, at least not ones with a strong reputation in the motorcycle world.

Unlike Bitubo, YSS make both high-end and budget shocks, so I think some might discount the brand as less-than-premium. Case in point: SIP carries both their $75 and $263 front shocks.

Same problem as IKEA - they have excellent $1200 couches, but for people who have only used their $200 flimsy couches, IKEA=junk.
Ossessionato
Wed May 01, 2019 4:49 pm quote
For a LX 150i, which is what I was looking for, in Thailand they only list one type. The external reservoir type with either red or white spring.
So i was not aware they had two types.

I did peruse their site and the number 302 is common to both LX150i (VK302-200T-03) and the GTS (VU302-240TRC-03).

In the end I didn't buy the scooter so...

Most of the ones I see here are the same external reservoir type.
Hooked
Vespa P200E
Thu May 02, 2019 10:25 am quote
waspmike wrote:
For a LX 150i, which is what I was looking for, in Thailand they only list one type. The external reservoir type with either red or white spring.
So i was not aware they had two types.

I did peruse their site and the number 302 is common to both LX150i (VK302-200T-03) and the GTS (VU302-240TRC-03).

In the end I didn't buy the scooter so...

Most of the ones I see here are the same external reservoir type.
Yeah, I think that's the same series, although less featured. I'm sort of guessing here, but I think that:
T - Threaded preload setting.
R - Rebound damping adjustment
C - Compression damping adjustment.

Some have reservoirs and some don't. I think that the reservoir often is there primarily to look impressive. The Malossi RS24s don't have them.
Vespa GTS Super Sport 300
Sat May 04, 2019 10:43 am quote
i have bazooka shocks on my vespa gts 300. I do like it alot, however i have not use other shocks before so my opinion might not be accurate.It totally solved the so called vespa front wobble, i could let go of my hands at 100km/hr and the bike will go straight by itself. If i would to do that on my standard shock, i am sure i would be paying a visit to the hospital. I am not sure if the shocks can, will need others to verify

Yes its expensive, but i also like the fact that it has a clean slick look and not in your face kind of over doing it . i went ahead and bought it , if i dont try, i wouldnt know if its good or not.

For everyone info, the shock is made up of a internal fluid chamber and air chamber which you can pump air in. WHen i had it, they only had Bazooka 1 for the front, rear is still version 1, but its good enough for me.

[img]https://ibb.co/Z1RZjqt[/img]

IMG_2140.jpg

Hooked
Vespa P200E
Sat May 04, 2019 8:49 pm quote
yummyburger wrote:
i have bazooka shocks on my vespa gts 300. I do like it alot, however i have not use other shocks before so my opinion might not be accurate.It totally solved the so called vespa front wobble, i could let go of my hands at 100km/hr and the bike will go straight by itself. If i would to do that on my standard shock, i am sure i would be paying a visit to the hospital. I am not sure if the shocks can, will need others to verify

Yes its expensive, but i also like the fact that it has a clean slick look and not in your face kind of over doing it . i went ahead and bought it , if i dont try, i wouldnt know if its good or not.

For everyone info, the shock is made up of a internal fluid chamber and air chamber which you can pump air in. WHen i had it, they only had Bazooka 1 for the front, rear is still version 1, but its good enough for me.

Wow, that looks mighty sexy!

How would you rate the ride comfort now? Do you get rattled when riding on rough roads?

Any company named ďraceĒ-something sometimes make me a little worried that they might feel that precise handling is everything that matters, and that a comfy ride is for old ladies.
Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS300ie
Tue May 07, 2019 5:49 pm quote
yummyburger wrote:

You have the New Improved Front End.
Did you still find the wobble with the stock shock?
Ossessionato
Tue May 07, 2019 5:56 pm quote
In the carpark this morning

YSS.jpg

Hooked
Vespa P200E
Thu May 09, 2019 9:18 am quote
waspmike wrote:
In the carpark this morning
Right, that looks like what I was talking about.

Ultimately Iíve just ordered a full set of Malossi RS24s, which are on the way now.
The price/performance ratio for those just seemed right. You canít get them sent from the German shops to the US - Iím guessing Malossi has a special agreement - but the prices at Scooterpartsco are very good. So now I have a little money left over to start saving up for that Malossi V4 and big bore kit!

A bit boring, I know, since now I donít get to report back on being a pioneer of new and unusual performance bits.
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:10 pm quote
The standard shock is horrendous man, it will whiplash if you hold the handlebar too tight or if you let go of your hand. I find it very unsafe. I dont think my is the improved front,it is the 14-17 front end and now they went back to old design.

Just change a proper shock and it will solve the problem, instead of changing the design back and forth.

It rides comfortablly. I even bought bazooka for my new vespa supertech that i am still waiting an also for my Honda supercub. Love the clean look too
drb930 wrote:
yummyburger wrote:

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:13 pm quote
They are starting to get really popular especially in USA.

Their quality is top notch, they have been in air suspension business for awhile starting from mountain bike before branching out to motorbikes.
mathias wrote:
yummyburger wrote:

Wow, that looks mighty sexy!

How would you rate the ride comfort now? Do you get rattled when riding on rough roads?

Any company named ďraceĒ-something sometimes make me a little worried that they might feel that precise handling is everything that matters, and that a comfy ride is for old ladies.
Addicted
2010 Vespa 300 Super
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:57 am quote
Malossi shocks are good. I was contemplating between YSS and Malossi and ended up getting the Malossi.
I followed the advice of the forum members and got new bushings made by Clauss https://www.claussstudios.com/store/p542/Vespa_GTS_GTV_250_300_Polyurethane_Rear_Shock_Bushings.html

The front shock is a pain in the butt to install in terms of the top bolts are not captive and putting the nuts while holding the bolt from coming out the top is not fun.
There are different ways to getting it done.
If it wasn't a pain then it is a 2 hour job for both front and rear.
Do the rear shocks one at a time. Put some penetrating oils on all the bolts 24 hours before you plan on doing it.

I still haven't figured out the best settings for these shocks, they are still on factory default settings.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:05 am quote
drb930 wrote:
yummyburger wrote:
i have bazooka shocks on my vespa gts 300. I do like it alot, however i have not use other shocks before so my opinion might not be accurate.It totally solved the so called vespa front wobble, i could let go of my hands at 100km/hr and the bike will go straight by itself.
That is the ESS front suspension which was standard on the '15-'17 GTS. The '18-'20 GTS uses a configuration more like the earlier GTS. The classic GTS front end wobble occurs upon deceleration at around 50 kph (30 mph). In my experience the ESS suspension solved the classic GTS front end wobble. Can't speak to the suspension on the '18 and newer.
Hooked
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:46 pm quote
yummyburger wrote:

how often do you have to pump air in?
Hooked
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:03 am quote
would also like to know if rear pair on vespa is linked or separate?
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1851s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0333s) ][ Debug on ]