stabilizer lock light flickering with buzzing sound
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Enthusiast
2008 MP3 400
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:31 am quote
I was getting ready for Spring, installing my charged battery when, in the dim light, I connected the negative lead to the positive terminal and then touched the positive lead to the negative terminal...big spark!
Can't believe I did that, even after checking the battery polarity....(Duhhh..what a way to start the season!)
The bike was on the stand for the winter, with the stabilizer lock off.
The stabilizer indicator light now quivers with a buzzing sound and the lock switching doesn't work.
The engine starts but won't get past idle as if the seat sensor is not engaging.
When I had a custom seat installation I had replaced the sensor with a resistor to allow the bike to start.
The red light indicator flashes once per second which may be normal.
I rocked the engine kill switch but nothing changed.
All the lights work OK.

Help.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:49 am quote
I wish I could say something comforting now, like it will all be OK or something, but... I think you fried one or more of your ECU's. And possibly a bunch of sensors. You just have to replace stuff until it all starts working again. I'd start with the tilt-lock ECU, since that will keep it from revving.

It might be time to find a junked bike, since electrical components add up fast.

If you've got a friend with an MP3, you could swap components as a diagnostic, so you don't end up buying a bunch of parts you didn't need.
Enthusiast
2008 MP3 400
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:38 pm quote
Good news!

I checked the fuses under the seat and found #4 was blown.
Replaced it and everything is now normal.

WHAT A RELIEF!

Phoned Lou at Toronto Vespa who warned me if not a fuse, it might be the front computer with ~$1000 replacement cost. Thankfully Not So.

Addicted
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:21 pm quote
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:46 am quote
Yay!!!! Sorry I was so pessimistic- I'm sure glad it worked out easy!!!
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:15 am quote
DennisL wrote:
Good news!

I checked the fuses under the seat and found #4 was blown.
Replaced it and everything is now normal.

WHAT A RELIEF!

Phoned Lou at Toronto Vespa who warned me if not a fuse, it might be the front computer with ~$1000 replacement cost. Thankfully Not So.

Good Grief...
I see you resolved with a Fuse, but the Computer he's talking about are easy to find on ebay for about $100.
It just chaps my ass when dealers want to get you without Vaseline.

The part number/rev is very similar to most of the MP3's. Speaking for my 2016, and older model years I own. It is the same part.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Enthusiast
2008 MP3 400
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:14 am quote
Thanks Keith; good to know that.

I might add that Lou's guess-tamite included labor.
He's the best there is with a good reputation, but, assuming we're talking about the same part, it's nice to know there are sometimes less expensive sources.
By the way, just as a follow up, I found out my 1 1/2 year old battery had a bad cell after I kept dying on a road trip yesterday; glad to have had CAA Plus and got a lift back home.
So I guess my dumb installment episode has cost me more that just a fuse.
Hope that's the only issue I have after I install the new battery.

Dennis

PS: The saga continues: New battery not charging in bike
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1805s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0580s) ][ Debug on ]