Summer Project-2011 GTV Malossi top end (cyl/head/piston)
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Hooked
GTV-300ie Touring
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:57 pm quote
So, I've been putting this one off since it's been a pretty cold winter. But, it's warming up quickly here in Bishop, so I decided it was time to get off my ass and build the rig to hold down the scooter while I've got the engine out, to work on the top end.

I had torn down a wind-damaged horse shelter last winter, so I re-purposed the fiberboard and studs to build a stand. I wanted a place to hold the front wheel, and tie-down anchors to hold the frame steady when I remove the engine. I've got a cycle lift I'll use to jack the frame up while it's tied down.

Easy enough to do in a morning, so this was today's result. I'll post more as I get to working on the actual engine. Time for a cold drink and a nap...

IMG_1034.jpeg
Framed up the base, put 2x6 boards for the front wheel chocks

IMG_1035.jpeg
Used 2x6x36" for the tie-downs. Had to rout the counter-sink for the anchors & washers.

IMG_1036.jpeg
Bottom view of the framing, with tie-down piece in place

IMG_1037.jpeg
Spray-painted the "landing strip" so I'll know where to put the stand

IMG_1038.jpeg
Front view of it in the garage. Seems to fit ok.

IMG_1039.jpeg
Rear view of GTV on the jig. I've got a cycle lift I'll use to hold the frame

GTS 300, BV250
Fri May 03, 2019 9:08 pm quote
Your back will thank you if you can get the bike up to waist level. In particular getting two halves apart and back together goes a LOT faster if you can see what you're doing.

I would recommend you think about picking up or borrowing a full MC lift. The Harbor Freight one has been great for me.

What's another $300 and a quick trip down to Ridgecrest after you've already shelled out almost a grand for the kit?

Vm_mj0qyJUWbBjBDKBYbkw5-KXcNMa14OofV_VaUUrMqLMpJrHCilakatPOxbVmBZG3NL-3vDyPC8QTBWK1OeqgCpf-lpoQJvN7BKSSBuuhAbUFPbMiUKGXwF4wZj22O6pkxP2bUf18bZX_CuD4XXqhI81LZYDmFJSb0LQ-t35_3jcQWHlMAHoeJQCanMT41dYX0Crx9anUB9OreIQ4eKtYxjpfeRHS7.jpg

Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (SOLD)
Fri May 03, 2019 10:14 pm quote
Thinking?

As you have to remove the variator to get at the timing chain. Then the variator might be easier when still in the bike, Or at very least loosen the nut.
Ossessionato
GTS300 Super Blue Gaiola
Fri May 03, 2019 11:09 pm quote
It gets a bit more complicated. Remember the centre stand is attached to the engine, so when the engine is out you need another support for the frame. A small jack with a large flat top would be ideal. I've normally used bricks and pieces of wood.
Hooked
GTV-300ie Touring
Sat May 04, 2019 5:17 am quote
GotMojo wrote:
Your back will thank you if you can get the bike up to waist level. In particular getting two halves apart and back together goes a LOT faster if you can see what you're doing.

I would recommend you think about picking up or borrowing a full MC lift. The Harbor Freight one has been great for me.

What's another $300 and a quick trip down to Ridgecrest after you've already shelled out almost a grand for the kit?

I'd love a full lift, but I'm just going to remove the engine and put it on my table saw in the back shed to work on the engine rebuild. I do have a lift to keep the frame elevated while the engine is out.

As for the variator, I'll be doing a service and belt change anyway. I'm at just over 8000 miles on it, and was going to swap out the belt at 9k, so it's due. I did just do an inspection and pulley deglazing at 6k, so I'm sure it's still fine.

Rear brake pads, too, since I've got to remove the rear caliper anyway.

We'll see how things go as I disassemble...
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (SOLD)
Sat May 04, 2019 8:19 am quote
Variator nut is quite tight!
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.9214s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1329s) ][ Debug on ]