(Yet another!) New 177 cylinder - BFA
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Author Message
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Joined: 30 Nov 2011
Posts: 7278
Location: Victoria, Australia
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:29 am quote
Would be nice to know more about this one - what the expected power is, what price range it's likely to be etc.
BFA Motori wrote:
This week we are presenting one of our projects that will see the light of day in 2020.
The 177cc cylinder for Vespa Px.

This product comes from a request that comes from northern Europe.
Our customers who already have at home, or who have had the opportunity to try our 225 and 306cc engines for largeframes, asked us to have something simple but at the same time modern, to install on their vehicles "everyday".

The basic condition: that even the less experienced can install it easily. This is why the transfer area is suitable for Piaggio crankcases; moreover, in order to be able to connect the crankcases without any risk of making mistakes, we will supply a stainless steel base.

This will be our Thermal Group 63.00 in aluminum with Nicasil coating, dedicated to the LargeFrame Vespa 125-150 engines.

At the moment we have both the single exhaust version and the two versions with boosters ready to be sent to the foundry: one with boosters inside the studs and one with boosters "around" the studs (a version we like less as it forces us to use a piston that is not exhausted).
The tests will tell us which of them will be definitively produced.

The thermal unit is designed for 57mm stroke, but it can also be mounted in stroke 60.

Also as prices, our target is to align ourselves to the competition, maintaining the usual quality.
By June we expect to be ready.
Follow the page and the online shop (negozio.bfamotori.com) for updates.


BFA 177  1.png

BFA 177  2.png

BFA 177  3.png

BFA 177  4.png

BFA 177  5.png

BFA 177  6.png

BFA.png

Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 1247
Location: UK (South East)
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:50 am quote
Wonder why none of the new small block players have wanted to go with a 66mm bore like the Parmakit 205cc kit? Has this bore size been proven to be unreliable or otherwise inferior?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Joined: 30 Nov 2011
Posts: 7278
Location: Victoria, Australia
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:54 am quote
swa45 wrote:
Wonder why none of the new small block players have wanted to go with a 66mm bore like the Parmakit 205cc kit? Has this bore size been proven to be unreliable or otherwise inferior?
Good question! I've heard absolutely zero about that one - or how it's done.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Joined: 30 Nov 2011
Posts: 7278
Location: Victoria, Australia
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:33 am quote
Still available. I notice that the stud holes are about half a hole away from the cylinder skirt, compared to (say) a Pinasco 177 which is about one hole width away. So obviously case machining needed to get it to fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/57417-00-Thermal-Unit-205cc-66-Running-60-Parmakit-Sixty-Six-LML-STAR125-150-2T/392526084793?epid=20027787567&hash=item5b6460bab9:g:I44AAOSw1IVb2JHc
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 2309
Location: Chicago. Well, Evanston, but that's almost Chicago
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:14 am quote
Ginch wrote:
swa45 wrote:
Wonder why none of the new small block players have wanted to go with a 66mm bore like the Parmakit 205cc kit? Has this bore size been proven to be unreliable or otherwise inferior?
Good question! I've heard absolutely zero about that one - or how it's done.
The design looks interesting. I'll be interested to see what comes of this.

As to the Parmakit, I was under the impression that the cases had to be significantly modified, not just porting, to fit it. That's how I interpreted the description on SIP, anyway:
Quote:
Conclusion: A race cylinder with a radical capacity. This conversion requires engine casing modifications and the cylinder itself requires a specific crankshaft to function.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Joined: 30 Nov 2011
Posts: 7278
Location: Victoria, Australia
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:15 pm quote
chandlerman wrote:
As to the Parmakit, I was under the impression that the cases had to be significantly modified, not just porting, to fit it. That's how I interpreted the description on SIP, anyway:
Quote:
Conclusion: A race cylinder with a radical capacity. This conversion requires engine casing modifications and the cylinder itself requires a specific crankshaft to function.
Yes clearly you need to machine the case opening I'm guessing another 5mm radius to get that skirt in there. Which then actually reduces the area of the transfers! Would love to know what they are like though.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2960s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0920s) ][ Debug on ]