P200E headlight
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Lurker
1979 P200E
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:18 am quote
First time posting and looking for some basic advice. The headlight on my US spec 1979 P200E just went out last weekend. I assume it's the bulb because it is has never been replaced. After it went out my turn signal indicator stays lit when ignition is on. Is this normal with a burnt bulb or do I have a different problem? The turn signals all work normally. If it's just eh bulb any tips on replacing it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:06 am quote
I had a the headlamp go out on my ‘79 P200E, too. I didn’t have the turn signal light issue, but here’s some insight.

The bike is 40 years old. The first time I pulled the headset off and saw the variety of tape and solder in there I knew it was going to be fun.

I bought the “super upgraded” lamp from Scooter West because the ad reads thusly. Ahem ...

These headlights are a guaranteed improvement over any other P-series headlight. We include the appropriate 35 watt dual filament halogen bulb so all you need to do is install this headlight assembly and light up the night. Passers-by will expect a 2012 BMW 1200GS based on the brightness and will stand in shocked adoration of the remarkable headlight in your otherwise crappy old 1979 Vespa P200.

The problem was my crappy old 1979 Vespa P200 wasn’t putting out enough power to support it and I went back to stock.

Stick with stock. I would check wires and stuff first before buying a new one, just to be sure. Put your meter on the leads and make sure you have power. Mine actually wound up being a wiring issue. The bulb was fine.
Molto Verboso

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:13 am quote
seamus26 wrote:
I had a the headlamp go out on my ‘79 P200E, too. I didn’t have the turn signal light issue, but here’s some insight.

The bike is 40 years old. The first time I pulled the headset off and saw the variety of tape and solder in there I knew it was going to be fun.

I bought the “super upgraded” lamp from Scooter West because the ad reads thusly. Ahem ...

These headlights are a guaranteed improvement over any other P-series headlight. We include the appropriate 35 watt dual filament halogen bulb so all you need to do is install this headlight assembly and light up the night. Passers-by will expect a 2012 BMW 1200GS based on the brightness and will stand in shocked adoration of the remarkable headlight in your otherwise crappy old 1979 Vespa P200.

The problem was my crappy old 1979 Vespa P200 wasn’t putting out enough power to support it and I went back to stock.

Stick with stock. I would check wires and stuff first before buying a new one, just to be sure. Put your meter on the leads and make sure you have power. Mine actually wound up being a wiring issue. The bulb was fine.
My results were the exact opposite. I did that headlight conversion on two of my P2's, and there was a huge improvement on light output....as long as I used a 35 watt H4 bulb. If I used a 45 watt, there wasn't as much light output.
Lurker
1979 P200E
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:23 am quote
Thanks, My plan is to stick with the stock headlight and just replace the bulb assuming that's the problem. Can a bulb replacement be accomplished without disconnecting all the headset wiring?
Molto Verboso
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 T5, 1996 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:29 am quote
If you have the sealed beam headlight you're looking for a complete unit. If it's the later, one bulb unit, you just unhook the bulb holder and change the bulb...
Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:47 am quote
jhowaniec wrote:
Thanks, My plan is to stick with the stock headlight and just replace the bulb assuming that's the problem. Can a bulb replacement be accomplished without disconnecting all the headset wiring?
The bulb itself resides in a chassis that - in my opinion - was a work of art in itself. Just from a craftsmanship standpoint. By today’s standards almost steampunk.

Once it’s out, replace the bulb and put everything back together. The only thing to disconnect electrically is the plug on the back of the bulb. It a half hour job assuming nothing breaks. An hour if you’re doing it with beer and some tunes.
Lurker
1979 P200E
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:31 am quote
Thanks to everyone, I'll let you know how it goes. Probably going to bring the old girl into the basement this winter for some other maintenance, cables, brakes, etc. It has basically never been apart aside for a clutch cable and fuel valve 15+ years ago! I inherited it from my father who bought it new in 1979 from a dealer on the East side of Milwaukee. I still have the original bill of sale and promotional brochures.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1372s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0224s) ][ Debug on ]