Tiptoe through the Tulips - Skagit Valley, WA, April 27
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
Vespa GTS300
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:54 pm quote
Seattle area Vespa riders headed out to see the springtime colors: the tulip fields of the Skagit Valley about 70 miles north of Seattle itself. These fields are a historical offshoot of the famous fields in the Netherlands, and more tulip bulbs come from here than any other place on earth except for those original Dutch fields.

We followed a chilly morning interior route that took us from near downtown Seattle up through the Snohomish valley and over to Colby. No sooner than we arrived to the field when we got a surprise: a springtime hailstorm that lasted all of 5 minutes. We parked in an area that wasn't actually meant for parking clearly marked as "no cars". So naturally we parked there. The sheriff rides by a few moments later, shoot us an amused look, and says "Well, I guess you aren't cars, so you got me there."

After refreshing with food and libations in La Conner, WA we tracked back through the Tulalip reservation, south through Everett, hugging the shoreline of Puget South through Mukilteo, and then back to Seattle for all of us.

About 170 miles of riding for some of us, and nearly 200+ for those hardy souls that joined us from Tacoma/Puyallup!

Here's some shots to show you what we saw.

no_cars (2).jpg
No cars... only scooters.

rivers_of_color.jpg
Rivers of color as far as the eye can see.

row_after_row.jpg
Just enough room to fit through on a scooter?

rivers_of_color.jpg
Mountains and hail in the background.

Vespa GTS300
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:02 pm quote
Pardon: I said Colby above... I meant Conway.

Here's the basic route.

map.JPG
Map of the route (mostly)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:41 am quote
Cool ride!

Can't imagine hail being too healthy for tulips......
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sun May 05, 2019 1:59 am quote
Nice!

I've always admired the fields of tulips in Netherlands, but never seen such elsewhere - looks great, thanks for posting.
Hooked
bv350 (sold) and now,'14 honda ctx700 dct
Sun May 05, 2019 6:49 am quote
howdy, yup we have these wonderful rides available and can soak in the scenery and smellery and hearelly. hard to imagine why anyone would use a vehicle with no glass and doors and floors and ceilings to experience these things? a ceiling might have been good during the hail. i had to get off the road recently cause the hail was chewing up my shins . thanks for the sharing.
ken
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Sun May 12, 2019 7:34 am quote
Whoa!

Made that drive pretty much exactly 30 years ago and then headed into the hills for a hike, whereupon my girlfriend and I proceeded to procure the worst (only?) all-over sunburn of my life.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
[ Time: 0.2572s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0298s) ][ Debug on ]