wobbly fork after accident
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Member
piaggio mp3 500 2007
Joined: 02 May 2017
Posts: 16
Location: san francisco
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:42 am quote
Hi folks, I have been into an accident in which I hit the back of a car with the front of the mp3. I was going at low speed so the damages on the mp3 where minimal, I did broke a shoulder in the fall. now I recovered from the injury and I wanted to fix the mp3: the only big problem apart from the scratches is that something in the front fork with 2 wheels is broken, and while moving the mp3 is dangerously 'wobbling' in the front. like the wheels are ok for a sec than one goes down and then up again. the garage asked me a ridiculous price just to check what is wrong and the insurance money is still up to the lawyers.
anyone can help me out to understand what is wrong and what is the piece to change?
I really want to ride again, I'm tired of the car and the commute traffic!
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 21 Nov 2017
Posts: 176
Location: Austin, TX
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:08 am quote
Real hard to diagnose your problem- you can probably do a better job than any of us can. But- the first thing I'd look for is misalignment due to something bent or loose- like one wheel points one way and the other points another. Then, one wheel catches and sends you one way, then the other catches and sends you another way- wobbling.

So, jack the bike up with the front wheels off the ground, remove the front tupperware, and look for bent, broken, loose or misaligned things. Wiggle everything. Measure how far it is between the inside of the wheels at the front and at the back of the wheels. See if the wheels are true of if one is bent. Eventually you'll find whatever it is that broke or bent, then you can figure out how to replace it.

Good luck!
Addicted
2019 MP3 500 HPE Business
Joined: 06 Oct 2012
Posts: 819
Location: Paris - France
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:13 pm quote
check number 26 in first...

mp3_500_(usa)_2007-2008-2009_page_0034_image_0003.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21248
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:43 pm quote
pics pics pics
Member
piaggio mp3 500 2007
Joined: 02 May 2017
Posts: 16
Location: san francisco
Thu May 16, 2019 10:39 am quote
here are the pics. to me it looks like the 2 wheels are not aligned and that might be causing the issue. you guys know how to fix misaligned wheels on an mp3?
thanks for the help!

20190515_175806.jpg

20190515_175801.jpg

20190515_175523.jpg

20190515_175753.jpg

20190515_175718.jpg

20190515_175540.jpg

20190515_175633.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5161
Location: Downtown Toronto
Thu May 16, 2019 11:25 am quote
Hell yeah that would cause some problems. I would have to change your statement from "might" to be "IS" causing the issues. TBH I would say take it to a dealer or a certified motorbike mechanic.

I am not that familiar with MP3's but I'd have to think the tires should be facing the same direction especially when idle. My fear would be that it could be a pretty expensive repair. Even at slow speeds damage can be more than you think as it is not a light bike so lots of centrifugal force.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 21 Nov 2017
Posts: 176
Location: Austin, TX
Thu May 16, 2019 12:07 pm quote
Yep, looks like a bent tie rod or a bent steering tube arm. I don't think just aligning it will cut the mustard- alignment is done with thin shims at the ends of the tie rod. If it is the tie rod, then it's possible to bend it back, but I wouldn't trust its strength after that. #622744 in the AF1 catalog.

But it could be the ear on the steering tube to which the tie rod mounts, in which case you'll need a new steering tube, maybe two. At that point I'd be looking at ebay for used parts, maybe contact OldasDirt and see if he still has an extra front end.

If I squint at the pictures, I could convince myself that the left side steering tube is bent back a little as well.
Addicted
2019 MP3 500 HPE Business
Joined: 06 Oct 2012
Posts: 819
Location: Paris - France
Thu May 16, 2019 1:00 pm quote
It's clearly not just about bodywork...
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37269
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Thu May 16, 2019 4:51 pm quote
I bet it's just the tie-rod. They're pretty flimsy as they don't carry any vertical load. Not too expensive to replace - and easily done.
Addicted
2019 MP3 500 HPE Business
Joined: 06 Oct 2012
Posts: 819
Location: Paris - France
Thu May 16, 2019 10:08 pm quote
There still seems to be a fold, no

20190515_175718_68134.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 5229
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Fri May 17, 2019 3:39 am quote
frcx94 wrote:
There still seems to be a fold, no
Maybe, but that could also be a shadow from the black plastic piece right above the red circle, and a place where dirt was wiped from the tube.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10747
Location: Oregon City, OR
Fri May 17, 2019 8:48 am quote
nibhelim wrote:
The garage asked me a ridiculous price just to check what is wrong and the insurance money is still up to the lawyers.
Does this mean you have collision insurance? If so, a repair estimate from a shop that is competent to do the repairs ought to be the first step. The "lawyers" are not going to sort out the cost of repairs and applicable insurance settlement with no information.
Member
piaggio mp3 500 2007
Joined: 02 May 2017
Posts: 16
Location: san francisco
Fri May 17, 2019 10:14 am quote
the garage said that the bike should be totaled. they didn't even try to see what is wrong, they say that the price to understand what's wrong (not to fix it) is greater than the value of the bike...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10747
Location: Oregon City, OR
Fri May 17, 2019 11:54 am quote
nibhelim wrote:
the garage said that the bike should be totaled. they didn't even try to see what is wrong, they say that the price to understand what's wrong (not to fix it) is greater than the value of the bike...
Probably a reasonable conclusion. So, was that recommendation formally submitted to the insurance company? Have they placed a value on the scooter (usually done through NADA value or comparable)? The next step would be a formal settlement. Presuming you accept the proposed insurance payment, you may have the opportunity to buy the wrecked scooter back from them at a modest price. If you don't choose to do that, the scooter is theirs to dispose of as they choose, so the repair discussion would be moot.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37269
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Fri May 17, 2019 6:18 pm quote
nibhelim wrote:
the garage said that the bike should be totaled. they didn't even try to see what is wrong, they say that the price to understand what's wrong (not to fix it) is greater than the value of the bike...
That's bollocks.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10747
Location: Oregon City, OR
Fri May 17, 2019 8:05 pm quote
jimc wrote:
That's bollocks.
Oh I don't know Jim. Totaling an older scooter with any significant frame or suspension damage is certainly common enough in an insurance settlement in the US. More to the point - what does that really mean? It means that the insurance company will pay him an estimated value for the bike. In the US there is no such thing as a 2007 MP3 500, so I presume we are talking about a 2008. Average NADA retail is about $2,700. So they pay him that amount (minus any deductible) and he buys the totaled bike back for $300 or $400. He then repairs it as you suggest. He wins so long as the repair does not turn out to be a much bigger deal.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 21 Nov 2017
Posts: 176
Location: Austin, TX
Sat May 18, 2019 9:01 am quote
Yes, and compared to a car accident, $2700 is a bargain for the insurance company. Peanuts. Bon Marche. Cheap.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37269
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sat May 18, 2019 2:42 pm quote
It'd take 10 seconds to eyeball the tie-rod and see if it's buckled, especially as the wheels are so far off mutual axis it'd be obvious. If it's just that (and it's very likely it is) the the part is only ~$110 complete, and wouldn't take more than an hour to change and re-adjust.

No way would the above justify writing-off a repairable vehicle.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10747
Location: Oregon City, OR
Sat May 18, 2019 8:10 pm quote
jimc wrote:
It'd take 10 seconds to eyeball the tie-rod and see if it's buckled, especially as the wheels are so far off mutual axis it'd be obvious. If it's just that (and it's very likely it is) the the part is only ~$110 complete, and wouldn't take more than an hour to change and re-adjust.

No way would the above justify writing-off a repairable vehicle.
I think you are missing my point. If you are correct (and I am certainly willing to accept that you are), then the OP is much better off with an insurance total and payout. Why should he spend time and effort trying to convince the insurance company to not total the vehicle, so he could repair it in his garage - and likely keep the actual cost below his deductible, so his settlement is $0?
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37269
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sun May 19, 2019 8:09 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
jimc wrote:
It'd take 10 seconds to eyeball the tie-rod and see if it's buckled, especially as the wheels are so far off mutual axis it'd be obvious. If it's just that (and it's very likely it is) the the part is only ~$110 complete, and wouldn't take more than an hour to change and re-adjust.

No way would the above justify writing-off a repairable vehicle.
I think you are missing my point. If you are correct (and I am certainly willing to accept that you are), then the OP is much better off with an insurance total and payout. Why should he spend time and effort trying to convince the insurance company to not total the vehicle, so he could repair it in his garage - and likely keep the actual cost below his deductible, so his settlement is $0?
So that's why insurance premiums keep rocketing skyward! Never mind the assumption that the remains would just go to land-fill - yes I know they probably wouldn't in this case.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 5229
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Sun May 19, 2019 10:25 am quote
jimc wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
jimc wrote:
It'd take 10 seconds to eyeball the tie-rod and see if it's buckled, especially as the wheels are so far off mutual axis it'd be obvious. If it's just that (and it's very likely it is) the the part is only ~$110 complete, and wouldn't take more than an hour to change and re-adjust.

No way would the above justify writing-off a repairable vehicle.
I think you are missing my point. If you are correct (and I am certainly willing to accept that you are), then the OP is much better off with an insurance total and payout. Why should he spend time and effort trying to convince the insurance company to not total the vehicle, so he could repair it in his garage - and likely keep the actual cost below his deductible, so his settlement is $0?
So that's why insurance premiums keep rocketing skyward! Never mind the assumption that the remains would just go to land-fill - yes I know they probably wouldn't in this case.
+1
I was away from home and hate typing on my phone.
But my one word answer to Dooglas' question:
Ethics.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10747
Location: Oregon City, OR
Mon May 20, 2019 8:59 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
But my one word answer to Dooglas' question:
Ethics.
Oh. come om fellows. It is not your job, my job, or the OPs job to turn around the insurance system in American. Substantial damage to a PTW often results in a total by an insurance company (their decision - not yours). It can sometimes be in the owners interest to buy the bike back and repair it. Those are simply observations about how the system usually works. That has nothing to do with ethics and is more a commentary on how the insurance system works and the high cost of labor for vehicle repairs. And, if anyone is worried, I am certainly doing my share to be sure the insurance system in the US is profitable - they are way ahead on me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5161
Location: Downtown Toronto
Mon May 20, 2019 9:23 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
But my one word answer to Dooglas' question:
Ethics.
Oh. come om fellows. It is not your job, my job, or the OPs job to turn around the insurance system in American. Substantial damage to a PTW often results in a total by an insurance company (their decision - not yours). It can sometimes be in the owners interest to buy the bike back and repair it. Those are simply observations about how the system usually works. That has nothing to do with ethics and is more a commentary on how the insurance system works and the high cost of labor for vehicle repairs. And, if anyone is worried, I am certainly doing my share to be sure the insurance system in the US is profitable - they are way ahead on me.
Yep, you should see how much motorbike insurance is here in Ontario. I think it's the most expensive in North America or damn close to it.

I'm all for being altruistic but you have to work with the system. My Vespa was involved in a simple tip over last year where 4 of us were knocked over when parked. My repairs came to just a hair under $2,000 and the only damage was to the saddle, windscreen, leg shield trim and a few light scratches that were buffed out. IF the body damage was worse and the GTV needed major body work/paint then even on a one year old bike the repairs could be close to book value. Face it MP3's and Vespas are relatively "cheap" bikes in the scheme of things however labour costs are the same as they would be for a top of the line Ducati or HD etc. Body work especially on a Vespa due to it's design can often ramp up repair costs so the insurance company will often write it off. In my case I would MUCH rather take the write off and buy a new bike than repair one. Repairs can take a long time and who doesn't like that new bike smell?
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.3334s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0405s) ][ Debug on ]