E Scooter Hazards
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Addicted
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Fri May 03, 2019 9:05 am quote
This came in my email this morning from CNN. Apparently people hopping on e scooters in major cities for the first time aren't prepared for Powered two wheeled life.
E-scooters

Can't wait to hop on an e-scooter? You might want to take a safety course first. A new study found that 1 in 3 injured riders was hurt on their very first ride. And 63% of e-scooter riders had ridden nine times or fewer before their injury. E-scooters, from companies like Lime and Bird, flooded US cities last year, and they're still so new, they hadn't really been studied until now. Researchers say more training may be necessary to ensure the safety of e-scooter riders.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun May 05, 2019 8:58 am quote
I could see that coming. I rode push scooters as a kid, lots of peole never have. Not the same as a bicycle.
Rented a Lime while my BV350 was having the FW update done at the dealer. Had a fun time scooting around, but could see someone without out any experience wrecking.
Hooked

Sun May 05, 2019 9:45 am quote
Then there's the impairment aspect . . .

200 GT
Tue May 07, 2019 12:59 pm quote
tortoise wrote:
Then there's the impairment aspect . . .

Yeah those things have a nasty habit of being DUI-ters around here.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Tue May 07, 2019 1:22 pm quote
Portland, OR had a 6 month experimental period with 2 companies placing stand-up electric scooters around town. A bunch of folks went nuts with them. No helmets, riding down sidewalks among pedestrians, zipping across streets in the middle of the block between vehicles, tearing up parks, you name it. Left a bad taste with all the rest of us. Big debate going on now about whether rental electric scooters are really something the city wants and what kind of rules should apply.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue May 07, 2019 2:37 pm quote
It may be of some interest that in the UK these sorts of scooters cannot be ridden anywhere except on private land with the owner's permission.

They can't be ridden on the road because they'd need to be approved for road use by the DVLA, with appropriate brakes and lighting etc and have licence plates. The rider would have to have an appropriate licence and insurance.

No powered vehicle that can do more than 4 mph (so a mobility scooter is OK) may be ridden on the pavement (sidewalk).

That just leaves private land.
Hooked
2003 50cc ET2
Tue May 07, 2019 2:38 pm quote
Salt Lake City is still allowing them but they were just banned up the canyon in Park City.
Hooked

Wed May 08, 2019 7:15 am quote
Panamaniac wrote:
Salt Lake City is still allowing them but they were just banned up the canyon in Park City.
St. George UT appears receptive so far.
200 GT
Wed May 08, 2019 7:52 am quote
tortoise wrote:
Panamaniac wrote:
St. George UT appears receptive so far.
I am 100% imagining a bunch of old drunk people ripping around on these right now.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Wed May 08, 2019 7:56 am quote
They bitched about them in Washington DC for a while, you hear nothing now. They are everywhere, but you can't ride them in the natainal mall area.
Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Wed May 08, 2019 10:31 am quote
I used to commute by a normal non-electric kick scooter when living in Geneva and quite enjoyed the freedom of it and the fact it would sit underneath my desk. It was as easy as walking but allowed you to go further and faster without investing in a vehicle. My commute was only a couple of miles but I can easily see the appeal of electric scooters just even further and even faster but without getting into a sweat. They are also much easier to store if you live in an apartment. It would seem sensible to class them under the same umbrella as electric bicycles in the eyes of the law. I was quite interested in getting the Xiaomi M365 or the Segway ES2 as the owners I've spoken to at traffic lights seemed fairly impressed with them. Officially they're illegal here but I've not spoken to anyone who's been stopped. Are the single electric wheel devices also illegal in the UK?
Hooked
BV 350
Mon May 13, 2019 12:23 am quote
About to
My town is about to OK them for limited usage in specified areas. The company offering them originally claimed they would shut off if you took them to an area they were not approved for (geofencing) but now the story is, the renter will continue to be billed for the time until the scooter is returned to an approved area. Allegedly they will only be used in the street (where they'll be an obstruction and a nuisance) but almost certainly they'll get ridden on pedestrian walks at some of the local tourist destinations, making them a hazard for pedestrians. Impaired driving seems to be a major issue leading to many of the injuries experienced. No one seems concerned about those little bitty wheels falling into the cavernous potholes, that are only slowly being repaired. Altogether a bad idea, spurred on only by the money the city will get for licensing the company.

Probably useful for thinning the herd. The colossally stupid driving we see everyday, which in a car will just raise your insurance premiums, will get you killed on a scooter. And the vendor will need to include a phone holder, as many in the target audience will expire if separated from their phone for more than 30 seconds, and riding one-handed is even more likely to lead to problems.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.3116s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0328s) ][ Debug on ]