Whitewall or Not ? Update: DONE!!!
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123Next
Enthusiast

Tue May 07, 2019 2:02 am quote
RichardLeeDrums wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
That's THE ONE!!! Perfect for the Mod look I'm going for.

Thanks a million.
You're welcome
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Tue May 07, 2019 2:18 am quote
NotAutomatic wrote:
RichardLeeDrums wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:

Thanks a million.
You're welcome
DAMN! Out of stock and some customers have been waiting since January for their part! Any idea of where else to get it? I find a lot of LML Brake Drum disk parts, but they're for other models (I have the PX '98 Millennium 200cc).
Enthusiast

Tue May 07, 2019 2:20 am quote
RichardLeeDrums wrote:
NotAutomatic wrote:
RichardLeeDrums wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:

Thanks a million.
You're welcome
DAMN! Out of stock and some customers have been waiting since January for their part! Any idea of where else to get it? I find a lot of LML Brake Drum disk parts, but they're for other models (I have the PX '98 Millennium 200cc).
Place a "wanted" ad on www.scoot.net classifieds
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Tue May 07, 2019 2:44 am quote
NotAutomatic wrote:
RichardLeeDrums wrote:
NotAutomatic wrote:
RichardLeeDrums wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:

Thanks a million.
You're welcome
Place a "wanted" ad on www.scoot.net classifieds
Thanks... Might take forever... Maybe I'll order the other one you indicated, although it's far less old school looking IMO.
Hooked
Tue May 07, 2019 6:31 pm quote
Quote:
I believe this one will work also.
Not quite the same as the smooth version - but similar.
Double check fit to bike.
They still have a few in stock.

The one you want is being re-worked.
They will have it "at the end of summer" what ever that truly means...
Perhaps this would do the job?

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/main/base/Results.aspx?t=39041000&d=(sco,ape,lam,old,px,sma,max,atv,mot)&a=1&sort=0
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Wed May 08, 2019 3:01 am quote
NotAutomatic wrote:
You're welcome
Yes. Thanks! I am ordering this today.

Do you guys know if I need to buy any other part or if this new part will fit with all the other parts I already have?
Molto Verboso

Wed May 08, 2019 7:17 am quote
RichardLeeDrums wrote:
NotAutomatic wrote:
You're welcome
Yes. Thanks! I am ordering this today.

Do you guys know if I need to buy any other part or if this new part will fit with all the other parts I already have?
Maybe a new seal if yours is damaged in any way?- https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/oil+seal+brake+base+plate+20mm+_17749400

New cotter pin- https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/cotter+pin+brake+drum+rear+_87240000

And a different hub nut cover. The plastic hub nut cover that comes on the PX150 5 star hub will look terrible on the Grimeca hub. I can't remember which size you'll need at the moment.

Also, be REAL careful when removing and installing the hubs. You can easily damage the speedo gear. Here's a quote directly from SIP "SIP-TIP: when installing the speedometer drive gear, rotate your brake drum gently, otherwise the drive gear will be pressed flat by the speedo drive".
Sometimes it's best to remove the speedo gear when swapping hubs if you're new at it. Here's the speedo gear. The old ones do wear out over time.- https://www.sip-scootershop.com/main/base/Details.aspx?ProductNumber=94430000
PX150 and 1 drowned P200,
Wed May 08, 2019 9:34 am quote
Bobo wrote:
Can you imagine what Bitza would have thought of this thread?
Truth.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Wed May 08, 2019 9:55 am quote
Birdsnest wrote:
Bobo wrote:
Can you imagine what Bitza would have thought of this thread?
Truth.
That would have been a blast Also probably take me 5 minutes to figure out what he was saying..

However Bitza was about as far from being a Mod as you could get. Awesome guy and I considered him a friend.

However if you're a mod you are going to have a very different take on what a good looking scoot is. When I was a (revival) Mod we all hung out together as they scene was not that big in NA. Hell one of my very best friends was a massive Sharpie skinhead. It came in handy and created some hilarious scenes in the clubs when I got in trouble...I had a habit of "spending time" with other peoples girlfriends. Straight up I would have no clue the girl was seeing someone else. Didn't seem to matter to the other guy though :-\

Now here is something to make a current Mod jealous. This is a one of my clubs Rally patches and amazingly I still have it. Nothing like a rally to Motown.... I know we made scootering magazine and I believe the pic of all of us in from of the Motown Museum may have made the cover.

Rally Patch.jpg

Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Fri May 10, 2019 2:14 am quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Maybe a new seal if yours is damaged in any way?- https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/oil+seal+brake+base+plate+20mm+_17749400

New cotter pin- https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/cotter+pin+brake+drum+rear+_87240000

And a different hub nut cover. The plastic hub nut cover that comes on the PX150 5 star hub will look terrible on the Grimeca hub. I can't remember which size you'll need at the moment.

Also, be REAL careful when removing and installing the hubs.
Thanks So much man!

Yeah, I can't find the nut cover either. Hopefully SIP can help.
Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Sat May 11, 2019 6:27 pm quote
Shinko Whitewalls
Here's a pic of my GTS with whitewall Shinkos.

sFKeaG4aQzedxQ45L416Gw.jpg

Hooked
2009 GTV 250, 2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Sun May 19, 2019 5:06 am quote
Here my V90-1965 with Shinko SR550. I did not want white walls originally, nor I wanted a turquoise Vespa... however my daughter chose the color and the whitewalls... I decided I could change them whenever I got tired so, went for them, and I donít dislike them.

This is not my daily commute, so went with the shinkos.

CED7294B-CC93-4F51-A711-202E067076FC.jpeg

Addicted
1974VLB 1979VSX 1974V9A

Sun May 19, 2019 8:54 am quote
ValVitola wrote:
Here my V90-1965 with Shinko SR550. I did not want white walls originally, nor I wanted a turquoise Vespa... however my daughter chose the color and the whitewalls... I decided I could change them whenever I got tired so, went for them, and I donít dislike them.

Just curious, what's going on with the floor board on that v90? Is it extremely thick or is that an optical illusion?
Hooked
1955 Allstate 1958 lambretta 1965 Allstate 1968 sprint
Sun May 19, 2019 10:39 am quote
White walls
Well I have two scooters with white walls...the sprint Iím going to keep that way, but the Allstate Iím leaning towards a black wall, due to the rim being painted white.
It is whatever you like at the end of the day. Donít worry about what others think. Scott

C326BAAD-EC8E-415C-ACBD-450F430E7060.jpeg

9E97BE68-C2F6-408A-A08E-F90604D597F7.jpeg

Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Sun May 19, 2019 12:47 pm quote
Re: Shinko Whitewalls
25BIKEZ wrote:
Here's a pic of my GTS with whitewall Shinkos.
Okay, that's weird. I posted the picture of my GTS with the topcase mounted a month ago. On 11 May, I was stuck in DFW airport due to weather.

Why did it repost? Any ideas?
Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Sun May 19, 2019 12:50 pm quote
ValVitola wrote:

ValVitola, that's a really nice color.
Molto Verboso

Sun May 19, 2019 4:14 pm quote
Let me reiterate, Shinko whitewalls are a low quality tire (as in dangerous). Use at your own risk. If you have them on a scooter that you use for display you'll be fine. If you ride it on the road, they tend to blowout.
Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Sun May 19, 2019 7:26 pm quote
Proof
whodatschrome wrote:
Let me reiterate, Shinko whitewalls are a low quality tire (as in dangerous). Use at your own risk. If you have them on a scooter that you use for display you'll be fine. If you ride it on the road, they tend to blowout.
Please provide actual numbers to back that statement up.

I'd be interested in what you find.
Molto Verboso

Sun May 19, 2019 9:20 pm quote
25BIKEZ wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:

I donít know what you mean by actual numbers. Can you elaborate a bit?

I can only provide you with that video that I help create to document the dangers of a Shinko. Did you watch that video on the first page of this thread? That Shinko rear tire had zero miles on before the burnout. It took about 2 minutes before the tire delaminated and popped. Any modern performance tire will easily last 3 times longer. Also, the burnout was performed by a stock p200. That would also indicate that the tire is made from a very poor rubber compound. While a tuned engine can light up a quality tire (such as a Zippy), itís very, very difficult to do with one thatís stock.

Iíve also got to firsthand help two different riders replaced blown out Shinko whitewalls during a ride. Both times it was actual blowouts, so even if they were using a ďsaferĒ tubeless wheel at the time, the tire still would have blown up.

In one of those instances, the rear Shinko was on a Lammy that I was following on highway 101. I was the sweep rider coming back from a rally, and watched the tire blow when we were going about 50mph. He more or less out of control. His lammy drifted into the oncoming lane right when some huge ass RV came around the sharp corner. The RV swerved, (almost going off the cliff) the out side of the rear dually tire was hanging out in thin air. Miraculously the RV didnít go over the cliff. Miraculously the lammy didnít end up head on-ing the RV.

So thatís my experiences with Shinkos. Itís probably more than some, but less than others (I hope). Quality tires arenít just for aggressive riding, theyíre just as important for the slower scoots as well.
Hooked
2009 GTV 250, 2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Mon May 20, 2019 4:19 am quote
PureDrivenSnow wrote:
Just curious, what's going on with the floor board on that v90? Is it extremely thick or is that an optical illusion?
Not an optical illusion, I bought it like that, the previous owner decided to weld a thick edge shield...all around the body, if you take a look at the legshiels is there to... good eye!

The V9 was used until last year as a food delivery scooter, so the owner decided to made some creative changes... the whole chasis was in a bad shape.

588DA7AF-B414-4685-8F3C-F7F4E64632CA.jpeg

Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Mon May 20, 2019 11:33 am quote
whodatschrome wrote:
25BIKEZ wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:

I donít know what you mean by actual numbers. Can you elaborate a bit?

I can only provide you with that video that I help create to document the dangers of a Shinko. Did you watch that video on the first page of this thread? That Shinko rear tire had zero miles on before the burnout. It took about 2 minutes before the tire delaminated and popped. Any modern performance tire will easily last 3 times longer. Also, the burnout was performed by a stock p200. That would also indicate that the tire is made from a very poor rubber compound. While a tuned engine can light up a quality tire (such as a Zippy), itís very, very difficult to do with one thatís stock.

Iíve also got to firsthand help two different riders replaced blown out Shinko whitewalls during a ride. Both times it was actual blowouts, so even if they were using a ďsaferĒ tubeless wheel at the time, the tire still would have blown up.

In one of those instances, the rear Shinko was on a Lammy that I was following on highway 101. I was the sweep rider coming back from a rally, and watched the tire blow when we were going about 50mph. He more or less out of control. His lammy drifted into the oncoming lane right when some huge ass RV came around the sharp corner. The RV swerved, (almost going off the cliff) the out side of the rear dually tire was hanging out in thin air. Miraculously the RV didnít go over the cliff. Miraculously the lammy didnít end up head on-ing the RV.

So thatís my experiences with Shinkos. Itís probably more than some, but less than others (I hope). Quality tires arenít just for aggressive riding, theyíre just as important for the slower scoots as well.
Your video is entertaining, but not really a valid test of tire quality. If you wanted to generate useful data, do burnouts with 10 tires each from 10 different manufacturers, under controlled conditions (identical temperature, load, road surface, RPM). Then chart, document, and report your results.

I have extensive aviation safety mishap investigation training. EVERY accident is at the very end of a chain of events which, if the chain had been broken prior, might have prevented the accident. As for the two blowouts you've assisted with, I would ask several questions: How old were the tires (both age and mileage) when they failed, were they inflated properly, how much load were they carrying, were they cut or damaged in any way prior, were they within their speed rating, what were the ambient conditions?

A sample size of two tires among thousands of tires sold and in use worldwide is too small to be statistically useful. Dangerous and scary if you're on that particular bike on that particular day, but not nearly enough to make a blanket statement.

If you really think Shinkos are dangerous, get on DOT's website and file a complaint. They will (eventually) look into it. They LOVE that kind of thing.
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Thu May 23, 2019 10:49 am quote
Thank you everybody for the suggestions, encouragements, and guidance. I sincerely appreciate.

All done today, and the more I look at it the more I realize it was really a no-brainer. I think the black seat with white pipping is a perfect and hip match.

WHAT SAY YOU?

IMG_4930.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu May 23, 2019 10:52 am quote
Looks awesome!
Hooked
Thu May 23, 2019 11:19 am quote
Looks like you landed just what you wanted.
Even the hub?
Congrats!
Where did you manage to find?
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Thu May 23, 2019 11:37 am quote
charlieman22 wrote:
Looks like you landed just what you wanted.
Even the hub?
Congrats!
Where did you manage to find?
Yes!!!! Thanks.

I took me forever but I located something that intrigued me at SIP. There was no picture available. So I stalked them! Hounded them! Finally they went and took a look... They said it looked "like the classic hub" but still said it wouldn't fit just like that, as a simple swap... and that I had to buy the brake part... I took a chance, and it did fit by itself!
Hooked
Thu May 23, 2019 11:41 am quote
Nicely done!
Like the persistence.
Any chance you gotta part number?
Thanks!
Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Thu May 23, 2019 1:27 pm quote
So Close
The only thing I see wrong is that it's NOT IN MY DRIVEWAY!

Beautiful job.
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Thu May 23, 2019 2:18 pm quote
Re: So Close
25BIKEZ wrote:
The only thing I see wrong is that it's NOT IN MY DRIVEWAY!

Beautiful job.
Hahahaha... thanks!
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Thu May 23, 2019 2:24 pm quote
charlieman22 wrote:
Nicely done!
Like the persistence.
Any chance you gotta part number?
Thanks!
Sure do. And don't listen to them: they will say you need the Grimeca part, directly contradicting their own text, you don't. And the whole hub is not a "mesh pattern" either, as you can see from my picture.

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 11.20.32 PM.png

Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Thu May 23, 2019 2:27 pm quote
By the way... any suggestion for a spare wheel cover that wouldn't hide the whitewall part?
Enthusiast

Thu May 23, 2019 3:04 pm quote
RichardLeeDrums wrote:
By the way... any suggestion for a spare wheel cover that wouldn't hide the whitewall part?
Maybe there is something I don't understand about your question, but if you remove the (unnecessary) spare cover you will see the whitewall. They don't make clear plexiglass ones.
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Thu May 23, 2019 5:02 pm quote
NotAutomatic wrote:
[
Maybe there is something I don't understand about your question, but if you remove the (unnecessary) spare cover you will see the whitewall. They don't make clear plexiglass ones.
Yes. I did remove the cover to show the whitewall - I think you can see that on the picture.

But then, the bottom of the battery is slightly exposed, which is not great. What I mean is: is there a cover that can cover less of the tire so that the whitewall is exposed and the bottom of the battery covered.
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Thu May 23, 2019 5:09 pm quote
Also, I am a bit weary: I just tried to gently wash greasy fingerprints with lukewarm water and dish and a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid and the sponge was already all white.

Do you guys know whether these CONTINENTAL whitewalls are white rubber or painted black tires?

What do you think/suggest?
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Thu May 23, 2019 5:22 pm quote
Those look sweet Richard. I give it two thumbs up. Not that my opinion matters!
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Fri May 24, 2019 10:45 am quote
qascooter wrote:
Not that my opinion matters!
Of course it does!
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Fri May 24, 2019 10:55 am quote
Done!

More stylish with the acorn 8mm nuts and no crashbars, just the chrome beading legshield.

I think it's hipper without it because it makes the scoot looks more streamlined. Opinions?

IMG_4943.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri May 24, 2019 11:05 am quote
I'm pro crash bars as I'm anti paying a bodyshop to repair a ding. They can save so much damage from a simple tip over or car door. I also think they look good and I find myself using them for my feet in certain riding conditions.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm quote
ValVitola wrote:
PureDrivenSnow wrote:
Not an optical illusion, I bought it like that, the previous owner decided to weld a thick edge shield...all around the body, if you take a look at the legshiels is there to... good eye!

The V9 was used until last year as a food delivery scooter, so the owner decided to made some creative changes... the whole chasis was in a bad shape.
I love that color!
Hooked
Honda elite
Fri May 24, 2019 3:05 pm quote
nice job
Addicted
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Fri May 24, 2019 3:25 pm quote
I won mine, so I canít complain and the scooter came with the tires... so it works for me, and now gets me to work!

308D2C50-7AF3-451C-8EC6-228F60C103DB.jpeg

Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123Next
[ Time: 0.4669s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1004s) ][ Debug on ]