Whitewall or Not ? Update: DONE!!!
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Fri May 24, 2019 3:28 pm quote
maggiegirl wrote:
I won mine, so I can’t complain and the scooter came with the tires... so it works for me, and now gets me to work!
I think it looks fabulous Maggie - The white accent on the seat and the Route66 sticker play well with the whitewalls.
Addicted
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Fri May 24, 2019 3:49 pm quote
qascooter wrote:
maggiegirl wrote:
I won mine, so I can’t complain and the scooter came with the tires... so it works for me, and now gets me to work!
I think it looks fabulous Maggie - The white accent on the seat and the Route66 sticker play well with the whitewalls.
Missouri Loves Company scooter rally, 6 years as of last year, today’s work shirt is from 2016, theme was “Less Work, More Play” 2017 was Midwestern Holiday and 2018 was ‘Get Your Kicks with Route 66” and so that explains most of the scooter ‘decor’. It has student parking stickers on the back fender, Texas 1980-81 and I am not removing those either or any of the sponsors stickers or from a couple of the area scooter groups. I won a scooter that I never thought I would own, didn’t know if I would ever be able to afford to buy 1 to fix up, and sure didn’t expect to win with only a couple tickets in the well packed gallon jars, 2 of them. So, white walls work just fine for me!
Addicted
Fri May 24, 2019 8:23 pm quote
Quote:
Sure do. And don't listen to them: they will say you need the Grimeca part, directly contradicting their own text, you don't. And the whole hub is not a "mesh pattern" either, as you can see from my picture.
Thanks!
Hooked
bare metal cafe racer
Sat May 25, 2019 7:29 am quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Let me reiterate, Shinko whitewalls are a low quality tire (as in dangerous). Use at your own risk. If you have them on a scooter that you use for display you'll be fine. If you ride it on the road, they tend to blowout.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll take anecdote over RCT for tires. Why take the risk when there are other tires. Better that than go Schwalbe on it eh.

Schwalbe Tyres Failing

But is it all Shinko whitewalls?

“The SR723 offers the highest speed rating of any Shinko 12 inch diameter scooter tire at 93 mph (P rating).”

And it is a good looking but of rubber. What are other Shinko’s like? SR007s?

071FE3DF-13B1-431C-B44D-C24145F4D322.jpeg

Hooked
bare metal cafe racer
Sat May 25, 2019 7:39 am quote
RichardLeeDrums wrote:
charlieman22 wrote:
Nicely done!
Like the persistence.
Any chance you gotta part number?
Thanks!
Sure do. And don't listen to them: they will say you need the Grimeca part, directly contradicting their own text, you don't. And the whole hub is not a "mesh pattern" either, as you can see from my picture.
Nah man - the one you bought isn’t the Grimeca NT disc with the mesh pattern. As it says... smoothed off unpainted. It also says fits with no modifications. And think it’s the one that’s been out of stock.

Looks very similar to the S&S hub...

https://www.scooter-and-service.de/shop/vespa-shop/fahrwerk/bremsen/586/radnabe-fuer-vespa-scheibenbremse-vorn?c=181

Rather than whitewalls... can use the rims to break up the profile also.

3E61BDC6-BF3F-4C17-AF6E-32F3FD75DBB7.jpeg

Addicted
Sat May 25, 2019 10:34 am quote
Quote:
Rather than whitewalls... can use the rims to break up the profile also.
You must be reading my mail.
In the wider tire choices currently:

- SIP shows the Shinkos in 11" to be fully ready to ship, but there are only two in stock...

- Other options from SIP for white walls in 11" for 2.5 rim are the Mitas MC20. Doesn't look like there are any other choices.

- In 10's in 100 width - you have to drop down to 80's for sidewall - meaning you get a slightly shorter overall height.

Looks like SWA45 grabbed the 100/80-10 Mitas MC22 and has been pleased with both look and the way they ride. Good looking tire also in my view.

Interestingly - SIP chose not to offer the 11" in white. Mind was on same wavelength - the width of the 11" rim in white would give similar effect to white walls - only perhaps shinier and more durable.

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 11.25.31 AM.jpg
MC22 in 100/80-10

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 11.25.10 AM.jpg
CST in 100/80-10

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 11.25.58 AM.jpg
MC 20 in 110/70-11

Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Sat May 25, 2019 10:51 am quote

Never cared for whitewalls personally. This I like.
Hooked
bare metal cafe racer
Sat May 25, 2019 1:52 pm quote
How about this

E3A531AA-6F14-41EC-8D72-818290170329.jpeg

Hooked
2010 GTS 300(Sold) 2008 Silverwing "Train"/2006 GT200L "Lone Star"
Sat May 25, 2019 1:57 pm quote
Wires?
pheasant plucker wrote:
How about this
Anybody make wires in the 12" size? Spokes add a bit of flex and can help with ride quality.

Thanks in advance.
Hooked
Sat May 25, 2019 2:03 pm quote
pheasant plucker wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
Let me reiterate, Shinko whitewalls are a low quality tire (as in dangerous). Use at your own risk. If you have them on a scooter that you use for display you'll be fine. If you ride it on the road, they tend to blowout.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll take anecdote over RCT for tires. Why take the risk when there are other tires. Better that than go Schwalbe on it eh.

Schwalbe Tyres Failing

“The SR723 offers the highest speed rating of any Shinko 12 inch diameter scooter tire at 93 mph (P rating).”

See my MV posting on Shinko SR723 vs City Grips. I had no bad experiences with them. Others have strong opinions on Shinkos, but not a lot of quantifiable data.
Hooked
bare metal cafe racer
Sat May 25, 2019 2:26 pm quote
25BIKEZ wrote:
pheasant plucker wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:

Schwalbe Tyres Failing

See my MV posting on Shinko SR723 vs City Grips. I had no bad experiences with them. Others have strong opinions on Shinkos, but not a lot of quantifiable data.
I’m not sure there was any quantifiable data on the Schwalbes either. But when a Facebook group is started to specifically discuss failures I think that is high-level evidence. Couldn’t find a similar one for Shinkos...

Also... I would’ve thought modern whitewalls are black tires with a white strip attached as opposed to the original zinc oxide rubber? If so then the issues could just be model specific?
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Sat May 25, 2019 2:58 pm quote
pheasant plucker wrote:
How about this
I'm digging the wire wheels. The bars and headlight, not so much!
Hooked
Sat May 25, 2019 7:26 pm quote
pheasant plucker wrote:
25BIKEZ wrote:
pheasant plucker wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:

Schwalbe Tyres Failing

I’m not sure there was any quantifiable data on the Schwalbes either. But when a Facebook group is started to specifically discuss failures I think that is high-level evidence. Couldn’t find a similar one for Shinkos...

Also... I would’ve thought modern whitewalls are black tires with a white strip attached as opposed to the original zinc oxide rubber? If so then the issues could just be model specific?
Model specific might be the right track. Shinko sells SR723 in white and black wall. The white strip is added to a black tire just before vulcanizing. Otherwise, same tire.
Hooked
bare metal cafe racer
Sat May 25, 2019 11:29 pm quote
25BIKEZ wrote:
pheasant plucker wrote:
25BIKEZ wrote:
pheasant plucker wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:

Schwalbe Tyres Failing

Model specific might be the right track. Shinko sells SR723 in white and black wall. The white strip is added to a black tire just before vulcanizing. Otherwise, same tire.
I kinda hope so. The Shinko’s (SR007) and Metzeler (ME Seventeen) are the only tires that have the random sizes for SIP 11” rims available locally in NZ (as far as I can tell).

Actually... I think Pirelli SL26 is another. And don’t think there is an SR007 in 110/70-11.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123
[ Time: 0.1805s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0458s) ][ Debug on ]