S.I.P Road XL Exhaust.
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Enthusiast
PX125E
Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 am quote
Here's a backward question. I have a SIP Road XL exhaust, A PX125E. What is the best kit to suit it please?
Hooked
1980 P200E in progress, 2005 Stella 2T
Sat May 04, 2019 4:32 am quote
Re: S.I.P Road XL Exhaust.
worrywort wrote:
Here's a backward question. I have a SIP Road XL exhaust, A PX125E. What is the best kit to suit it please?
I dont know best kit, but SIP says it is targeted for 20+ HP engines, and high RPM. I am riding this exhaust on stock LML 150 engine and it is fine. I'm sure some technical or more experienced dudes would get on mine and pick it apart, but I haven't noticed any serious drop in torque, but have gained a few mph at the top and can rev higher. With that said, I have a malossi 166 mk iii waiting to be installed. I chose it because it was cheap, cast iron so i could learn to port shaping on it, and supposedly timings were more extreme for your money (higher revving top end), which is what the exhaust likes.

Again, this is my first time so I could be dead wrong on everything but cost and personal reasons, but I was spitballing this with a more experienced tuner who suggested it for my first top end due to cost and potential (with some shaping).
Addicted
1974VLB 1979VSX 1974V9A

Sat May 04, 2019 7:05 am quote
A Malossi or Polini would work fine. A box exhaust is not super specific about the tune it needs to sing. I would make the decision based on what you want from the scooter. Do you what the power down low or up high in the rev range? And how much power/speed are you expecting to get out of it? Or are you in the "need a little bit more" rabbit hole?
Enthusiast
PX125E
Sat May 04, 2019 7:22 am quote
Hello. Thanks for the replies. I like the power up the top end. I'm loathe to port the crankcases and would settle for a straight bolt on kit.

I was curious about which kit the exhaust is good for. I'll probably end up selling it as I bought it by mistake ages ago. I have been through the tuning side of things previously on here. the exhaust I currently have is the SIP Rd 2 but it's looking rotten where it's rusty.
1979 Vespa P200E
Sat May 04, 2019 8:11 am quote
There are tons of good kits for the small block.
These are garnering lots of attention and a great value.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/racing+cylinder+vmc+stelvio+_84140100
Enthusiast
Molested & Abused 2003 Stella 2T
Sat May 04, 2019 2:41 pm quote
Any thoughts/knowledge on how well that kit matches up with an LML case?
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Mon May 06, 2019 2:40 pm quote
yackee wrote:
Any thoughts/knowledge on how well that kit matches up with an LML case?
If you don't want to match ports to the top end, then the XL is a bit wasted and most performance kits will be wasted on it, too.

Get a cheap 177. The DR is a good option in this case because it's cast iron, super-cheap in case you go a grinder wheel too far, and a pretty good match to the LML cases.

The Polini's ports are huge as compared to the stock LML. Do a search for base gaskets for the kits you're interested in and you'll see how big their ports are. Use the third port to scale the images to an LML base gasket and that'll give you a fairly accurate expectation.
Enthusiast
PX125E
Sat May 11, 2019 8:42 am quote
Well the SIP road 2 had to come off as it looks like itís been stored on the seabed for many years. I fitted the XL since it was on the bench winking at me.
Itís a definite improvement to the Rd 2. I had to up jet the carb from a 98 to 99 main to get some colour back on the spark plug. It was a very pale brown like raw pastry. It ran alright but always scared of holing a piston. Iím tempted to have it dynoíd to fine tune it. The scooter is a 2012 PX 125 E. I can overtake lorries now (OK at a slow walking pace) which I couldnít do before.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.4727s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0438s) ][ Debug on ]