Is Zebra Scooter Rental a Scam???
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next

Sun May 05, 2019 10:00 am quote
I found these ads on this company called Zebra. They're offering an electric scooter for $99 a month. They claim to be a San Francisco startup, and they are aiming at capturing the new food delivery app drivers market.

I have talked to them on the chat box on their website: [url]ride.zebranow.com[/url]

They are smooth talking, good customer service vernacular, and they claim they are located at: 400 Florence St Palo Alto, CA 94301. I checked on the street view of google maps, and it doesn't show they would be there, but they claim they are still too new.

I have searched all over the web and youtube, and there are no mentions of them anywhere in any regard. There are no reviews. They claim they are shown in articles in a few news syndicates such as the Chicago Tribune and Yahoo Finance. I couldn't find the articles myself, but they brought up one located on Yahoo Finance. This article was placed in this news site through another pay website called Access Wire. You pay them, they write an article, and they push it on the news syndicates to get your name out there.

So they are advertising on google and facebook etc. The problem I have is I can't separate them from any of the scams that are ran out of...say for example, Nigeria. There's nothing that ties them up to the money you'd pay them.

There are no contracts, and it's just send money via google pay or paypal. The shipping for the scooter takes a month, and it costs $99.

What do you think?
Hooked

Sun May 05, 2019 11:56 am quote
Re: Is Zebra Scooter Rental a Scam???
allout1 wrote:
What do you think?
Ampere affiliate?

Bloom scooter review . . .

Addicted
GTV 300, GTV 250, CB500F, MINI R59
Sun May 05, 2019 6:48 pm quote
Gentlemen- I've done some research and now present my findings:

Zebra, aka ZebraNow is a Bay Area startup, founded officially, slightly over a year ago in March 2018, receiving initial funding as a sort-of-a-ZipCar clone.* The founders of Zebra are Penn State grads. This is their second startup and their Palo Alto office address shares the block with Twitter and Square.

It is not a huge stretch that they would be testing another idea or making a pivot into scooters (less overhead, etc.). So, technically, legit. Will they last to to the next funding round? That's worth a bet.

Also, I'm no startup expert, but I'm a fan of scooters and startup culture!

*Sources:
https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/zebranow#section-overview

https://onwardstate.com/2019/01/24/penn-state-alums-make-cross-country-transfr/

https://angel.co/zebranow/jobs

Sun May 05, 2019 9:25 pm quote
Fantastic responses. Thanks. I think I'll give them a try now. Hehe. I'll post back, and let know the results.
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Mon May 06, 2019 3:03 am quote
Sometimes I get a little confused by what is a genuine query and what is simply advertising hidden as a query. OP doesn't own a scooter, hasn't made any previous posts and his only post is about "this company he's found" and wants you to look into.
Hooked

Mon May 06, 2019 6:04 am quote
Ampere Motor appears to have a very diversified business model . . somewhat like an octopus of corporate entities!

Closed funding solicitation

Elliott Advocacy article

For comparison . . CSC Motorcycles
Hooked

Mon May 06, 2019 8:07 am quote
irieman wrote:
ZebraNow is a Bay Area startup
But does NOT appear to be affiliated with ride.zebranow.com . . no mention of Tony Chan?

Perhaps somewhat similar to Benelli and Bintelli.

Mon May 06, 2019 8:50 am quote
tortoise wrote:
irieman wrote:
But does NOT appear to be affiliated with ride.zebranow.com . . no mention of Tony Chan?

If you get on the chat box, then a few of the people mentioned in the who's who article above show up on there. I just talked to them on this, and I asked about the things posted above. It all checks out. Tranfr became Zebra, and the rental car arm is part of the rental scooter co.

I'm convinced now. I don't have the money for a scooter now, and I don't want to own one...right now. I'll go to work on this thing this year, save up, and probably buy a used Vespa. They look good and fast. Hehe.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Mon May 06, 2019 9:04 am quote
robinm wrote:
Sometimes I get a little confused by what is a genuine query and what is simply advertising hidden as a query. OP doesn't own a scooter, hasn't made any previous posts and his only post is about "this company he's found" and wants you to look into.
Yeah... I'm a little confused now as well. A few people posting all with really low post counts about what looks to be e-bike rentals. They aren't scooters these are just those freaken' little annoying things you see in the bicycle lanes. This reads like an ad for something none of us will ever even have access to nor want.

The other interesting thing is if you look at tortoise's profile it's a negative/negative.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Mon May 06, 2019 9:07 am quote
Normally it would be difficult for a monthly rental to be a scam. You pick-up a scooter and pay your monthly rental fee. At the end of the month, you return it or pay for another month. In this case, it doesn't sound like they actually have any scooters. Why would they want you to pay now, and what are you paying for?
Hooked

Mon May 06, 2019 9:46 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
They aren't scooters these are just those freaken' little annoying things you see in the bicycle lanes.
Such as Daymak?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Mon May 06, 2019 10:01 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
robinm wrote:
Yeah... I'm a little confused now as well. A few people posting all with really low post counts about what looks to be e-bike rentals. They aren't scooters these are just those freaken' little annoying things you see in the bicycle lanes. This reads like an ad for something none of us will ever even have access to nor want.

The other interesting thing is if you look at tortoise's profile it's a negative/negative.
I am very interested in stand up electric scooters myself. I work in multiple 100,000 sq ft Data Centers and they would be a blessing to save my knees.

Mon May 06, 2019 12:24 pm quote
The electric sound is ideal for a bike lane style trespasser in my opinion for what I need it for.

Check this review video. Scroll to the bottom. It's has no sound. lol

I'm really not familiar with scooters. lol From what I recall of any is that they have a loud, buzz noise. Do they make the gas powered ones with virtually silent mufflers yet? They do this for cars now, so I assume this is being done for scooters now, eh.

And the overly suspicious mind set is bearable except that it's skewed electrically only towards one possibility that there are no other possibilities.

Mon May 06, 2019 12:29 pm quote
Electric Vespa!

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
Mon May 06, 2019 1:02 pm quote
Be aware that the Electric Vespa is not readily available and is quite expensive.

https://www.vespa.com/us_EN/promotions/spring-days-vespa.html

You can own a nice new scooter for a good price right now. If you are in the Bay Area, you can ride year round and at close to 80 mpg on average, it's pretty cheap to run and ride.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon May 06, 2019 1:04 pm quote
allout1 wrote:
I'm really not familiar with scooters. lol From what I recall of any is that they have a loud, buzz noise. Do they make the gas powered ones with virtually silent mufflers yet?
allout1 wrote:
Electric Vespa!
Gasoline Vespas with modern 4T engines and factory exhaust systems are quite tame and well mannered vehicles.

Unfortunately this first model of electric Vespa is overpriced and underpowered.
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Mon May 06, 2019 3:08 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
I am very interested in stand up electric scooters myself. I work in multiple 100,000 sq ft Data Centers and they would be a blessing to save my knees.
Segway.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue May 07, 2019 2:39 am quote
Sledge wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Segway.
There is a learning curve unlike with a push scooter. I know someone that broke their leg on one just going over unven ground, the segway did a u turn and broke his leg, no thank you. And not spending that kind of money as apposed to a few hundred bucks on an eletric push scooter that I can strap to my big scooter Can't do that with a segway.

Tue May 07, 2019 3:45 am quote
In all reality I'd rather be going big Vespa classic all the time, however I have to can the costs of everything. I'm also liking the lack of sound on electric.

Thing that catches me every time these days for what I'm doing with these electric vehicles I'm doing is the lease program. If they can throw in the maintenance, refurbish, insurance, and replacement in the rental program, I'm good. I'm a risk conscious person, and I know how it goes. Things are falling apart, getting wrecked, being stolen, being vandalized, or I'm in an accident. Then the whole investment is wacked, and I'm losing more money on down time dealing with the remainder. LOL That is the program, my friends. I've gone through it a million times, and ownership vs. these rental programs just is part of a fantasy that I don't care anything about.

And I'm getting two of those zebras on this kind of full package. These big companies these days from the startup phase are going after the profit margins only possible through mass contributors, and in order to scale it up to mass proportions, they have to essentially be the insurance capital pools in which every member contributes payments with the results being accumulation of capital to run the company, pay off the break downs with the customer units, and the main thing is to attract capital investment to the company to further the company's growth expansion throughout the regions and markets. They ball it up, stick it out there, and it attracts the capital investors, and the reason why it's so attractive is because of the rapidity and breadth that these new cybernetic companies can scale into markets while managing logistics, customer relations, public image from remote locations through the wire so to speak.

They get into these things where they can manage a huge network on an app system, throw a ton of money and incentives to attract a mass population to it which in turn attracts a mass of investment capital to the process, thereby they expand into every population and field made possible with their business system's process.

The incentives that Zebra is posing on the population is $100 a month with insurance, maintenance, and replacement all included. That's leverage to me, and rather than tie up a few grand in the ownership of one of these rides, I'll tie it up elsewhere that makes even more money on top of the money I'm making with the cheap, fully covered ride. Right? It's the basic question of why throw $500,000 into a house, when you can throw it into 3x down payments on multiple houses, lease them out for mortgage payments, pay them off, and manage $1.5 million down the line? Don't nail it down. Leverage it.

What I've learned to do is look into these big, cybernetic growth companies, and look for their incentives. Use up the incentives, and move on to the next one and the next one. LOL They stick out so much capital investment because they attract so much capital investment that it's freebies, discounts, etc all over. And if the company fails, that's okay with me too. LOL Right? It's investment firms and private investors throwing capital on the population to see what sticks and what don't. Hehe.

All else aside, I like the size of Zebra's Bloom-Ped, and it's completely silent not even an electric vehicle whining sound. Also I don't pay a dime in gas. My landlord does when I plug my two zebras in. I don't pay for the bike, insurance, maintenance... I just chip in $100. I even like the speed because I don't want to go over 30mph for anything right now. I'm in a short range area of a few miles in either direction of my house. Silent, nimble, cheap.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue May 07, 2019 4:04 am quote
I see your points but this still reads a lot like an ad. Maybe it isn't and kudos to you if it is as you're doing a good job of selling it.

A big no thank you on my part. Then again I'm also the person that has a performance modded 300CC Vespa with the performance exhaust to match. My wife can hear me coming from a few blocks away as we're often surrounded by skyscrapers where I live and the sound echoes.

For simple transit I have a bike share membership and I also buy my employees one. That's a very simple and quiet way to get around the city. No plug required.

FWIW we are sceptical around here when people join then advertise something. You've also answered most of your own questions.

Tue May 07, 2019 5:02 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
I see your points but this still reads a lot like an ad. Maybe it isn't and kudos to you if it is as you're doing a good job of selling it.

A big no thank you on my part. Then again I'm also the person that has a performance modded 300CC Vespa with the performance exhaust to match. My wife can hear me coming from a few blocks away as we're often surrounded by skyscrapers where I live and the sound echoes.

For simple transit I have a bike share membership and I also buy my employees one. That's a very simple and quiet way to get around the city. No plug required.

FWIW we are sceptical around here when people join then advertise something. You've also answered most of your own questions.
LOL I knew that's how it "sounded" when I was writing, but take into account that's what I've thought since I was a kid living a life berated by advertislers. Culture is largely comprised of advertisement arrays. On the other hand I'm really lethargic about any concerns about it to be Franklin'.

On the far side, I think it's just hilarity you mention wearing a "plug" in order to handle the 300CC beasty. I'd like one. 300CC that is. lol I don't like the straddle motorcycle. I like the sit moped, and I like the Jeep style sit seat rather than the squeeze in and lay down car or lazy boy style SUV. I think it's crap getting in all of these awkward positions.

To be fully honest here I'm working the delivery food gigs right now. I've been buying $20 and $30 bicycles on craigslist, and then I've been on youtube and the bike forums talking to people about the mechanics, tricks, techniques...for maintenance.

I got into chat forums about 15 years ago when I got into the philo forum on CL for a few years. Then I became an arborist/climber in my own lil' company, and I got into arbor chat forums and youtube videos. Later I'd use this system of research in trading, investing, A/C repair, Woodworking, Computer Programming, Computer Building, Anthropology, Politics, Global Business and Economics, and Mindology/Cybernetics/Alchemy.

The research system is if I can't find a website article or youtube video about what I need to know, then I hit the chat forums. The situation in this Zebra company case was I thought Zebra was like a Nigerian scam, and when I couldn't find information on them, I went.........to........the.........chat forum. Here I be.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue May 07, 2019 5:29 am quote
Fair enough and for what you do this sounds like it makes sense for you. I don't think you're a shill and obviously either do the moderators as the the thread is still here.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue May 07, 2019 9:49 am quote
Harbinger wrote:

A big no thank you on my part. Then again I'm also the person that has a performance modded 300CC Vespa with the performance exhaust to match. .
You don't understand what electric can do then. Electric has 100% of it's power from 1 RPM on.
Worked with a guy that was really into electric motors and he taught me electric capability to blow a gas motor away.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue May 07, 2019 9:53 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

A big no thank you on my part. Then again I'm also the person that has a performance modded 300CC Vespa with the performance exhaust to match. .
You don't understand what electric can do then. Electric has 100% of it's power from 1 RPM on.
Worked with a guy that was really into electric motors and he taught me electric capability to blow a gas motor away.
Sure but when limited to something like 30 MPH... no thanks. Now something like the BMW C Evolution I'd love to try. I'm familiar with the abilities and am far from being uneducated on these things.
Enthusiast
200 GT
Tue May 07, 2019 11:18 am quote
robinm wrote:
Very Very this.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue May 07, 2019 11:22 am quote
RockyMtnRR wrote:
robinm wrote:
Very Very this.
I know eh? This is a tough one though I gotta admit a little entertaining.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue May 07, 2019 11:29 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

Actually it has 100% of its torque from a standstill. Power is proportional to torque x revs. No usable power is produced by a motor at a standstill, even if it has maximum torque.

Just to nit-pick.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue May 07, 2019 1:09 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Electric has 100% of it's power from 1 RPM on.
Formula E car (gen 2) - max 335 bhp, top speed 174 mph, 0-60 in 3 seconds.
Hooked
2003 50cc ET2
Tue May 07, 2019 2:33 pm quote
Apologies in advance if the below is too harsh, and personal apologies to allout1 if I'm simply wrong about him/her, but:

Still feels like a shill to me, maybe even bot-assisted. Less than 19 hours between the initial post (which asks rather basic questions) and a detailed description of the company's business model and allout1's commitment to getting two, plus a description of how they sound?

Looking at his post that begins "In all reality": Are to we believe that he's that knowledgeable about reaping the benefits of unwisely invested venture capital but also couldn't find a crunchbase article (I googled "zebranow" and the crunchbase profile was literally the first hit) and he's immediately convinced that they're legit when someone posts that (again, very first hit) crunchbase profile?
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue May 07, 2019 2:39 pm quote
We're keeping an eye on it, as always. Please don't get too paranoid!
Hooked
2003 50cc ET2
Tue May 07, 2019 2:41 pm quote
jimc wrote:
We're keeping an eye on it, as always. Please don't get too paranoid!
Word! Love you guys.

Tue May 07, 2019 2:49 pm quote
Panamaniac wrote:
Apologies in advance if the below is too harsh, and personal apologies to allout1 if I'm simply wrong about him/her, but:

Still feels like a shill to me, maybe even bot-assisted. Less than 19 hours between the initial post (which asks rather basic questions) and a detailed description of the company's business model and allout1's commitment to getting two, plus a description of how they sound?

Looking at his post that begins "In all reality": Are to we believe that he's that knowledgeable about reaping the benefits of unwisely invested venture capital but also couldn't find a crunchbase article (I googled "zebranow" and the crunchbase profile was literally the first hit) and he's immediately convinced that they're legit when someone posts that (again, very first hit) crunchbase profile?
Wow. LOL The wise man once said, "The only possibility is there are no other possibilities." And I know it was impossible he was unwise. You know what I'm thinking, and I'm not speaking it though. I giggled the search terms Zebra Moped and Zebra Scooter also with the additional term "rental." I didn't see the crunchbase article, and then I thanked those people who got it without complimentary side joints.

What if you're right? All we can know for sure though is who derided a normal thread, and that no commendable. Hehe.
Addicted
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Tue May 07, 2019 3:01 pm quote
Watched a fun commercial recently, Monaco and a very fast and quiet car, seems Jaguar has a new electric coming out!!! And it looks like it moves and is quiet.
So, ya, electric cars, scooters and skateboards with handles... but rental is a limited area thing if you ask me. I don’t see it working in small rural areas where I live, but can see it coming to St. Louis MO, but maybe not to Chicago IL anytime soon. And Climate and riding season are a part of why I don’t see it up north of me, but can see it coming to St. Louis, down south of me.
Add in some employment locations setting up ‘scooter only’ parking with charging stations for electric rides, I can see even more interest, especially if/as the cost of gas goes up.
But I don’t see the $100/month cost being very workable in my corner of the world, and I don’t see me ever buying 1. But part of that is that I already own 3 scooters, vintage, my work scooter and my ‘run and play’ ride.
But I want to watch and see what happens and I wish all those investing to have success.

Tue May 07, 2019 3:10 pm quote
maggiegirl wrote:
Watched a fun commercial recently, Monaco and a very fast and quiet car, seems Jaguar has a new electric coming out!!! And it looks like it moves and is quiet.
So, ya, electric cars, scooters and skateboards with handles... but rental is a limited area thing if you ask me. I don’t see it working in small rural areas where I live, but can see it coming to St. Louis MO, but maybe not to Chicago IL anytime soon. And Climate and riding season are a part of why I don’t see it up north of me, but can see it coming to St. Louis, down south of me.
Add in some employment locations setting up ‘scooter only’ parking with charging stations for electric rides, I can see even more interest, especially if/as the cost of gas goes up.
But I don’t see the $100/month cost being very workable in my corner of the world, and I don’t see me ever buying 1. But part of that is that I already own 3 scooters, vintage, my work scooter and my ‘run and play’ ride.
But I want to watch and see what happens and I wish all those investing to have success.
I'm in San Diego. It just rains for a couple of weeks out of the year, and there are a few jacket months in the winter. Otherwise it's too hot.

I'll return to this thread with the results.
Hooked

Tue May 07, 2019 6:22 pm quote
allout1 wrote:
I'm in San Diego.
Will California require you to have an M drivers license endorsement, and the scooter to be registered, plated, and insured?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Wed May 08, 2019 3:33 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

Sure but when limited to something like 30 MPH... no thanks. Now something like the BMW C Evolution I'd love to try. I'm familiar with the abilities and am far from being uneducated on these things.
I am just poining out electric is limited by the manufactures price goal. You could have an electric Vespa that could out run a gas one no problem.
Hooked

Wed May 08, 2019 7:04 am quote
CSC Wiz blog article . . no Wiz parts listing so far.

3,000 watt motor, so most states will probably require motorcycle registration . . Nevada example.

Wed May 08, 2019 9:52 am quote
tortoise wrote:
allout1 wrote:
I'm in San Diego.
Will California require you to have an M drivers license endorsement, and the scooter to be registered, plated, and insured?
No, it's too small. Just have to have a regular DL and helmet.
Addicted
Thu May 09, 2019 4:55 pm quote
allout1 wrote:
tortoise wrote:
allout1 wrote:
I'm in San Diego.
No, it's too small. Just have to have a regular DL and helmet.
Respectfully, I believe your assessment on the M1 endorsement to be incorrect (emphasis added):
Quote:
Applying for a motorcycle license
Applying for your motorcycle license is similar to applying for a driver license. There are two classes of motorcycle licenses, Class M1 and Class M2.

With a Class M1, you can operate any 2-wheel motorcycle and any motorized vehicle in Class M2. With a Class M2, you can only operate any motorized bicycle or moped or any bicycle with an attached motor.

Effective January 1, 2006, you may operate a motorized scooter with a Class M1 or M2 driver license. Prior to January 1, 2006, you must have a Class C or higher driver license to operate a motorized scooter.

A motorized scooter is defined as: A two-wheeled "device" powered by a motor with a floorboard that is designed to stand on when riding. The scooter may also have a driver's seat.

-- https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/about/2011mc_lic
I could be wrong though.
Addicted
Thu May 09, 2019 5:00 pm quote
Hi Tortoise- Sorry- I don't know who Tony Chan is and, for the record, I am not vouching for this company in any way. I'm a IT researcher who occasionally slips into VC and startups and was able to tie the scooter venture into documented startup activity, which technically answered the OPs' question so I hit post and walked away (If I had more of a dog in the hunt I would definitely dig deeper than 20 minutes of research before posting indelible comments on the internet.)
tortoise wrote:
irieman wrote:

Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.4989s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0727s) ][ Debug on ]