Newhart
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
Addicted
2016 Sprint S 150 (his), 2016 Sprint 150 Blu Gaiola (hers), 2006 GTS 250 Excalibur Gray (hers), 2006 GTS 250 Black (his)
Sun May 05, 2019 1:21 pm quote
Since today was free of rain but overcast and in the low 60's, my wife and I went for a ride. It was only her 3rd time on the GTS250 so wanted to get her out on it especially since it was washed and waxed yesterday.

We took off from home and got out of the city onto some back roads that took us over a covered bridge and then on lots of back roads passing lots of farms with nary another soul on the road until we got into Brandon.

Once we cut thru Brandon, we went up RT73 which is known as the Brandon Gap. This is a road that climbs up in elevation thru a national forest with some nice scenery and it is a well known bicycle road for people to challenge themselves on. When came down on the other side, one ends up on RT100 near Rochester. We stopped for a delightful little lunch at a place called Sandy's Books and Bakery. It is a used book store as well bakery/lunch eatery. She had a tea, coffee for me and we split a Vermonster sandwich which was apples, cheese, arugula, and some wonderful bread. We also bought some baked goods for after dinner tonight.

Leaving Sandy's we headed north on RT100 to go to RT125 and go over Middlebury Gap. This takes one through the National Forest past the Robert Frost Interpetative Trail which has some of his writings posted looking out as scenery he may have been looking at when writing. He lived up there for awhile. We also go past the Middlebury College's Breadloaf Campus which is used in the summer for retreats and an intensive 6 week language immersion program.

We continued into Middlebury with a stop at the Waybury Inn for a picture. This is the inn that was used for the outside shots of the Newhart show where he was Vermont innkeeper, hence the title of the trip report.

We then got on RT7 which is a 50mph road but everyone goes faster. In the past on the 150's she was not comfortable at this speed but she was okay with trying. We did about 30 miles at 55-60mph indicated and she was okay with it. Yay!

Overall, a very enjoyable ride, nice lunch and a milestone on the pace with her. We did 90 miles.

DSCN0005.JPG

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2
Sun May 05, 2019 2:26 pm quote
I like the 6 week immersion language school. Maybe I could learn english.
I really hope I can make it far enough north to visit you guys! Thanks for the report.

Oh yea, and I am hungry.
Addicted
2016 Sprint S 150 (his), 2016 Sprint 150 Blu Gaiola (hers), 2006 GTS 250 Excalibur Gray (hers), 2006 GTS 250 Black (his)
Sun May 05, 2019 3:08 pm quote
Hope to see you and Bill up here and we would feed you both well. No hangry’s here!
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Mon May 06, 2019 6:15 am quote
Loved that show back in the day! We have travelled some in NE, although sadly not by PTW. Thanks for the post, makes me want to head up east.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Mon May 06, 2019 8:01 am quote
wmak wrote:
Loved that show back in the day!
One of my favorite scenes of all time: Larry and the brothers Darrel had been "sunbathing on the Riviera...

that old Buick down by the river."
Hooked
Vespa GTS 300
Tue May 07, 2019 1:21 am quote
Hi guys, lovely to read about your day out riding around your quiet back country roads, to me this is what scootering is all about, some might not agree but we are so lucky that our wives/partners are willing to ride their own scoots and join us, also good on your lady for stepping up into a more powerful scoot as well, with both of you on 250's this makes your 90 mile trip an effortless journey with both of you experiencing the same ride and comfort. Both my wife and i do exactly what the pair of you are doing around our own country. All the best. Owie.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
[ Time: 0.4687s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1171s) ][ Debug on ]