First Scooter, not my first project.
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
Enthusiast
P125x (P200 Motor)
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:38 am quote
qascooter wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:
Just because I had it on hand, I used straight Simple Green and a handful of 1" washers. I shook the tank a few dozen times and let it sit overnight. I was pretty surprised it came out so clean.
Good Job JVB! I think it did better than the vinegar - and the three days! I was going to use some acid, but I've been trying to stay away from the serious etchers. And I didn't have any in the house, so, like you, I used what I had!
Thanks! Though the rest of the bike has a lot of rust, the gas tank is particularly clean. I suspect the PO used premix instead of the oiler system.

By the way, how do you test the oiler system? I want to make sure it works, or I will use premix.
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:50 am quote
JimVonBaden wrote:
qascooter wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:
Just because I had it on hand, I used straight Simple Green and a handful of 1" washers. I shook the tank a few dozen times and let it sit overnight. I was pretty surprised it came out so clean.
Good Job JVB! I think it did better than the vinegar - and the three days! I was going to use some acid, but I've been trying to stay away from the serious etchers. And I didn't have any in the house, so, like you, I used what I had!
Thanks! Though the rest of the bike has a lot of rust, the gas tank is particularly clean. I suspect the PO used premix instead of the oiler system.

By the way, how do you test the oiler system? I want to make sure it works, or I will use premix.
If you have it all connected, put some oil in the oil tank and let the oil drain into the oil hose until almost the end you connect to the carb, leave a little bubble visible at the end before you connect it to carb. Then make sure you have some oil in gas tank to be safe if it isn't working, and run the engine. If oil mix system is working it will pull the oil in and you will see that bubble inching towards the carb.
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:56 am quote
If the prior owner used pre-mix, make sure all parts to the auto lube that have been removed are reinstalled and all oil passages are clear.
Enthusiast
P125x (P200 Motor)
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:26 pm quote
Thanks, that is essentially what I did.
Enthusiast
P125x (P200 Motor)
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:27 pm quote
Much more done, video at the end.

Swapped out the rear tire, cleaned up the wiring and added the horncast, then added in the new CDI and assembled and installed the cleaned tank.

It RUNS! And not bad.
https://youtu.be/HTneUGxI_aA
Hooked
Honda elite
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:06 pm quote
Looking better already
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:35 pm quote
Front tire is on wrong and prob need flipping. The only nuts you should see from that side are the ones to secure wheel to scooter. Air tube should face out and go through slot in order to refill air. I'm sure you noticed the difference when you installed the rear tire.

Glad to see it started up!
Enthusiast
P125x (P200 Motor)
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:59 pm quote
rowdyc wrote:
Front tire is on wrong and prob need flipping. The only nuts you should see from that side are the ones to secure wheel to scooter. Air tube should face out and go through slot in order to refill air. I'm sure you noticed the difference when you installed the rear tire.

Glad to see it started up!
I know, but I am too lazy to take it off and apart again, plus I have a new set of tires and wheels coming.
Enthusiast
P125x (P200 Motor)
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:01 pm quote
Anyone care to comment on how it runs? I have little experience with these motors. Definitely not like a 2-stroke dirt bike.
Addicted
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:58 pm quote
sounds like it idles fine! What exhaust you have on there? It sounds a little thin compared to my box exhaust, but it isn't high pitched like a simonini or other racing exhaust.
Enthusiast
P125x (P200 Motor)
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:48 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
sounds like it idles fine! What exhaust you have on there? It sounds a little thin compared to my box exhaust, but it isn't high pitched like a simonini or other racing exhaust.
Thanks, it is a SITO exhaust according to the PO, aftermarket, and a bit loud. But I don't know if that is normal or not. It feels like it runs good. I need to assemble it and ensure the auto-oiler is working, and I will take it for a spin.
Addicted
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:55 pm quote
Doesn't seem as loud as you think. There are some loud exhausts out there! When I first got my 2 stroke scooter I thought the same thing, until I met up with some other scooters with some real loud exhausts! I prefer the deeper less screamy box exhausts like sito, sip road, etc.
Addicted
1974VLB 1979VSX 1974V9A

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:09 pm quote
I also prefer the Road over Shito as well. Great progress on this thread... I would have written that scooter off.
Enthusiast
P125x (P200 Motor)
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:56 pm quote
Thanks guys! It may be louder than I think just because it was running inside my garage.

It looks rough, but as a one owner bike I was fairly confident that it was worth a gamble.
Enthusiast
P125x (P200 Motor)
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:02 am quote
Took the scooter for a ride around the neighborhood. Needed to stop and adjust the brakes as there were basically none. It ran great, and the clutch works fine. The shifter is very stiff and difficult to get to move, but I have new cables for everything. The suspension is surprisingly OK, as is the power despite my 260 pounds.

The headlight, just glows red on the filament on high and low beam. Must be a wiring issue as the bike is charging at 14.2 volts off idle.

My big issue right now is the fill plug wont come out, no matter what I use. I may have to weld a nut on it to get it off. Anyone have an idea for a fill plug that uses a hex head instead of a slotted head?

Anyhow, rust is not as bad as I initially thought. Here are a bunch of photos.

Molto Verboso

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:18 am quote
JimVonBaden wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Thanks, it is a SITO exhaust according to the PO, aftermarket, and a bit loud. But I don't know if that is normal or not. It feels like it runs good. I need to assemble it and ensure the auto-oiler is working, and I will take it for a spin.
About your exhaust...I think most people here are not Sito+ fans anymore, but i still like them.

Maybe put some heat on the fill plug and grip is with some vice-grips?....and sure, if that doesn't work, zap a nut on it with a welder. I use a hex head magnetic drain plug on all my scooters. https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/screw++bolt+kit+m8x8+mm+_94355000

and about loud exhausts...i have never yet to this date ever come across (and hope i never do) a scooter that was anywhere close to being as loud as the JL4 race pipe that's on my Lammy. Even with brand new ear plugs in it's still at 11 on the Spinal Tap decible scale.
Enthusiast
P125x (P200 Motor)
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:40 am quote
whodatschrome wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
About your exhaust...I think most people here are not Sito+ fans anymore, but i still like them.

Maybe put some heat on the fill plug and grip is with some vice-grips?....and sure, if that doesn't work, zap a nut on it with a welder. I use a hex head magnetic drain plug on all my scooters. https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/screw++bolt+kit+m8x8+mm+_94355000

and about loud exhausts...i have never yet to this date ever come across (and hope i never do) a scooter that was anywhere close to being as loud as the JL4 race pipe that's on my Lammy. Even with brand new ear plugs in it's still at 11 on the Spinal Tap decible scale.
Thanks, that kit is exactly what I need. It makes me nervous not being able to check the oil. No idea if it is low or not, and I would like to change the ancient oil in it.

As to the exhaust, it is louder than my 1200 BMW, but not really that bad at all. Bike runs and rides great, despite sitting so long.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
a herd of easy shifty rats
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:41 am quote

First try this:
The biggest screw driver you can find that barely fits the slot
Dress the tip on a grinder so it's dead flat, square & sharp
Use some good penetrant on the screw
Heat gently with a torch or hot air gun
Medium hammer, tap, tap, tap the screw driver to seat tight into the screw AND to agitate the screw threads
Big Crescent wrench if it's a square shank screwdriver(best) or Vise Grips is it's round for leverage
Best now w/ 2 ppl - one to push the screwdriver tight & make sure it stays aligned on the screw's centerline and one to gently but w/ increasing pressure push on the lever to break the screw loose
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:48 am quote
This is what vice grips live forů grip it and rip it

F976C0CD-3404-4BEE-B9C6-38FB05545CC8.jpeg

Enthusiast
P125x (P200 Motor)
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:07 am quote
V oodoo wrote:

First try this:
The biggest screw driver you can find that barely fits the slot
Dress the tip on a grinder so it's dead flat, square & sharp
Use some good penetrant on the screw
Heat gently with a torch or hot air gun
Medium hammer, tap, tap, tap the screw driver to seat tight into the screw AND to agitate the screw threads
Big Crescent wrench if it's a square shank screwdriver(best) or Vise Grips is it's round for leverage
Best now w/ 2 ppl - one to push the screwdriver tight & make sure it stays aligned on the screw's centerline and one to gently but w/ increasing pressure push on the lever to break the screw loose
Impact driver, broke the tip, bent the second one.

Tapped firmly with a hammer and large flat blade screwdriver with a wrench on the shank and it slipped three times.

Dressed with a hammer and chisel tip, and tried again.

Used three different vice grips and smashed/slipped off each time.

That screw is made of cheese, but stuck like it is welded. I assume it is steel, but it is soft steel.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
a herd of easy shifty rats
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:22 am quote

OK, Hammer Time is over, get out the welder.
Hooked
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:07 pm quote
Jim, you do relize this is where gascooter writes a 4 page dissertation on welders right?

Bikes gonna be awesome once u de-stick and anti corode everything.

Judging from the pics of your garage - once done - scooter will spend many years in its happy place.
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:09 pm quote
Dremel a deeper slot for a flat head and use it with a socket wrench. Buy another plug bolt that's made for a wrench.
Enthusiast
P125x (P200 Motor)
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:57 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:

OK, Hammer Time is over, get out the welder.
Enthusiast
P125x (P200 Motor)
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:58 pm quote
charlieman22 wrote:
Jim, you do relize this is where gascooter writes a 4 page dissertation on welders right?

Bikes gonna be awesome once u de-stick and anti corode everything.

Judging from the pics of your garage - once done - scooter will spend many years in its happy place.
LOL I am looking forward to it. There will be plenty of welding done I am sure.

I usually take on these projects to flip, but I think I may keep this one.
Enthusiast
P125x (P200 Motor)
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:59 pm quote
rowdyc wrote:
Dremel a deeper slot for a flat head and use it with a socket wrench. Buy another plug bolt that's made for a wrench.
I'll give that a shot before I get out the welder. I may also dremel flats on the sides and try a wrench. What could possibly go wrong?
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
[ Time: 0.3285s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0584s) ][ Debug on ]