First Scooter, not my first project.
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123Next
Author Message
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:38 am quote
qascooter wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:
Just because I had it on hand, I used straight Simple Green and a handful of 1" washers. I shook the tank a few dozen times and let it sit overnight. I was pretty surprised it came out so clean.
Good Job JVB! I think it did better than the vinegar - and the three days! I was going to use some acid, but I've been trying to stay away from the serious etchers. And I didn't have any in the house, so, like you, I used what I had!
Thanks! Though the rest of the bike has a lot of rust, the gas tank is particularly clean. I suspect the PO used premix instead of the oiler system.

By the way, how do you test the oiler system? I want to make sure it works, or I will use premix.
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 857
Location: Staten Island, NY
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:50 am quote
JimVonBaden wrote:
qascooter wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:
Just because I had it on hand, I used straight Simple Green and a handful of 1" washers. I shook the tank a few dozen times and let it sit overnight. I was pretty surprised it came out so clean.
Good Job JVB! I think it did better than the vinegar - and the three days! I was going to use some acid, but I've been trying to stay away from the serious etchers. And I didn't have any in the house, so, like you, I used what I had!
Thanks! Though the rest of the bike has a lot of rust, the gas tank is particularly clean. I suspect the PO used premix instead of the oiler system.

By the way, how do you test the oiler system? I want to make sure it works, or I will use premix.
If you have it all connected, put some oil in the oil tank and let the oil drain into the oil hose until almost the end you connect to the carb, leave a little bubble visible at the end before you connect it to carb. Then make sure you have some oil in gas tank to be safe if it isn't working, and run the engine. If oil mix system is working it will pull the oil in and you will see that bubble inching towards the carb.
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 4753
Location: So Cal
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:56 am quote
If the prior owner used pre-mix, make sure all parts to the auto lube that have been removed are reinstalled and all oil passages are clear.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:26 pm quote
Thanks, that is essentially what I did.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:27 pm quote
Much more done, video at the end.

Swapped out the rear tire, cleaned up the wiring and added the horncast, then added in the new CDI and assembled and installed the cleaned tank.


















It RUNS! And not bad.
https://youtu.be/HTneUGxI_aA
Hooked
Honda elite
Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Posts: 489
Location: California
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:06 pm quote
Looking better already
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200
Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Posts: 633
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:35 pm quote
Front tire is on wrong and prob need flipping. The only nuts you should see from that side are the ones to secure wheel to scooter. Air tube should face out and go through slot in order to refill air. I'm sure you noticed the difference when you installed the rear tire.

Glad to see it started up!
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:59 pm quote
rowdyc wrote:
Front tire is on wrong and prob need flipping. The only nuts you should see from that side are the ones to secure wheel to scooter. Air tube should face out and go through slot in order to refill air. I'm sure you noticed the difference when you installed the rear tire.

Glad to see it started up!
I know, but I am too lazy to take it off and apart again, plus I have a new set of tires and wheels coming.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:01 pm quote
Anyone care to comment on how it runs? I have little experience with these motors. Definitely not like a 2-stroke dirt bike.
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 857
Location: Staten Island, NY
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:58 pm quote
sounds like it idles fine! What exhaust you have on there? It sounds a little thin compared to my box exhaust, but it isn't high pitched like a simonini or other racing exhaust.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:48 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
sounds like it idles fine! What exhaust you have on there? It sounds a little thin compared to my box exhaust, but it isn't high pitched like a simonini or other racing exhaust.
Thanks, it is a SITO exhaust according to the PO, aftermarket, and a bit loud. But I don't know if that is normal or not. It feels like it runs good. I need to assemble it and ensure the auto-oiler is working, and I will take it for a spin.
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 857
Location: Staten Island, NY
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:55 pm quote
Doesn't seem as loud as you think. There are some loud exhausts out there! When I first got my 2 stroke scooter I thought the same thing, until I met up with some other scooters with some real loud exhausts! I prefer the deeper less screamy box exhausts like sito, sip road, etc.
Addicted
1974VLB 1979VSX 1974V9A
Joined: 12 Sep 2014
Posts: 647

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:09 pm quote
I also prefer the Road over Shito as well. Great progress on this thread... I would have written that scooter off.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:56 pm quote
Thanks guys! It may be louder than I think just because it was running inside my garage.

It looks rough, but as a one owner bike I was fairly confident that it was worth a gamble.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:02 am quote
Took the scooter for a ride around the neighborhood. Needed to stop and adjust the brakes as there were basically none. It ran great, and the clutch works fine. The shifter is very stiff and difficult to get to move, but I have new cables for everything. The suspension is surprisingly OK, as is the power despite my 260 pounds.

The headlight, just glows red on the filament on high and low beam. Must be a wiring issue as the bike is charging at 14.2 volts off idle.

My big issue right now is the fill plug wont come out, no matter what I use. I may have to weld a nut on it to get it off. Anyone have an idea for a fill plug that uses a hex head instead of a slotted head?

Anyhow, rust is not as bad as I initially thought. Here are a bunch of photos.


























Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1561

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:18 am quote
JimVonBaden wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
sounds like it idles fine! What exhaust you have on there? It sounds a little thin compared to my box exhaust, but it isn't high pitched like a simonini or other racing exhaust.
Thanks, it is a SITO exhaust according to the PO, aftermarket, and a bit loud. But I don't know if that is normal or not. It feels like it runs good. I need to assemble it and ensure the auto-oiler is working, and I will take it for a spin.
About your exhaust...I think most people here are not Sito+ fans anymore, but i still like them.

Maybe put some heat on the fill plug and grip is with some vice-grips?....and sure, if that doesn't work, zap a nut on it with a welder. I use a hex head magnetic drain plug on all my scooters. https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/screw++bolt+kit+m8x8+mm+_94355000

and about loud exhausts...i have never yet to this date ever come across (and hope i never do) a scooter that was anywhere close to being as loud as the JL4 race pipe that's on my Lammy. Even with brand new ear plugs in it's still at 11 on the Spinal Tap decible scale.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:40 am quote
whodatschrome wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
sounds like it idles fine! What exhaust you have on there? It sounds a little thin compared to my box exhaust, but it isn't high pitched like a simonini or other racing exhaust.
Thanks, it is a SITO exhaust according to the PO, aftermarket, and a bit loud. But I don't know if that is normal or not. It feels like it runs good. I need to assemble it and ensure the auto-oiler is working, and I will take it for a spin.
About your exhaust...I think most people here are not Sito+ fans anymore, but i still like them.

Maybe put some heat on the fill plug and grip is with some vice-grips?....and sure, if that doesn't work, zap a nut on it with a welder. I use a hex head magnetic drain plug on all my scooters. https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/screw++bolt+kit+m8x8+mm+_94355000

and about loud exhausts...i have never yet to this date ever come across (and hope i never do) a scooter that was anywhere close to being as loud as the JL4 race pipe that's on my Lammy. Even with brand new ear plugs in it's still at 11 on the Spinal Tap decible scale.
Thanks, that kit is exactly what I need. It makes me nervous not being able to check the oil. No idea if it is low or not, and I would like to change the ancient oil in it.

As to the exhaust, it is louder than my 1200 BMW, but not really that bad at all. Bike runs and rides great, despite sitting so long.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x2 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 6988
Location: seattle/athens
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:41 am quote


First try this:
The biggest screw driver you can find that barely fits the slot
Dress the tip on a grinder so it's dead flat, square & sharp
Use some good penetrant on the screw
Heat gently with a torch or hot air gun
Medium hammer, tap, tap, tap the screw driver to seat tight into the screw AND to agitate the screw threads
Big Crescent wrench if it's a square shank screwdriver(best) or Vise Grips is it's round for leverage
Best now w/ 2 ppl - one to push the screwdriver tight & make sure it stays aligned on the screw's centerline and one to gently but w/ increasing pressure push on the lever to break the screw loose
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 4753
Location: So Cal
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:48 am quote
This is what vice grips live forů grip it and rip it

F976C0CD-3404-4BEE-B9C6-38FB05545CC8.jpeg

Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:07 am quote
V oodoo wrote:


First try this:
The biggest screw driver you can find that barely fits the slot
Dress the tip on a grinder so it's dead flat, square & sharp
Use some good penetrant on the screw
Heat gently with a torch or hot air gun
Medium hammer, tap, tap, tap the screw driver to seat tight into the screw AND to agitate the screw threads
Big Crescent wrench if it's a square shank screwdriver(best) or Vise Grips is it's round for leverage
Best now w/ 2 ppl - one to push the screwdriver tight & make sure it stays aligned on the screw's centerline and one to gently but w/ increasing pressure push on the lever to break the screw loose
Impact driver, broke the tip, bent the second one.

Tapped firmly with a hammer and large flat blade screwdriver with a wrench on the shank and it slipped three times.

Dressed with a hammer and chisel tip, and tried again.

Used three different vice grips and smashed/slipped off each time.

That screw is made of cheese, but stuck like it is welded. I assume it is steel, but it is soft steel.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x2 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 6988
Location: seattle/athens
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:22 am quote

OK, Hammer Time is over, get out the welder.
Addicted
Joined: 26 Jan 2019
Posts: 523
Location: california
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:07 pm quote
Jim, you do relize this is where gascooter writes a 4 page dissertation on welders right?



Bikes gonna be awesome once u de-stick and anti corode everything.

Judging from the pics of your garage - once done - scooter will spend many years in its happy place.
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200
Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Posts: 633
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:09 pm quote
Dremel a deeper slot for a flat head and use it with a socket wrench. Buy another plug bolt that's made for a wrench.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:57 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:

OK, Hammer Time is over, get out the welder.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:58 pm quote
charlieman22 wrote:
Jim, you do relize this is where gascooter writes a 4 page dissertation on welders right?



Bikes gonna be awesome once u de-stick and anti corode everything.

Judging from the pics of your garage - once done - scooter will spend many years in its happy place.
LOL I am looking forward to it. There will be plenty of welding done I am sure.

I usually take on these projects to flip, but I think I may keep this one.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:59 pm quote
rowdyc wrote:
Dremel a deeper slot for a flat head and use it with a socket wrench. Buy another plug bolt that's made for a wrench.
I'll give that a shot before I get out the welder. I may also dremel flats on the sides and try a wrench. What could possibly go wrong?
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 857
Location: Staten Island, NY
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:38 pm quote
heat it up with a heat gun or torch just enough to loosen it.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:43 am quote
swiss1939 wrote:
heat it up with a heat gun or torch just enough to loosen it.
MAP Gas torch, smoking hot, huge screwdriver and a wrench on it, and it finally broke loose.

Oil looked good, and was full. I changed it anyhow.








I also cleaned the shifter box.






Then installed the intake boot and electrical cover on the CDI.




Took it for a longer spin, 3 miles, and it ran great. The front brake is still very weak, and it still shifts badly, popping out of second, and very stiff.
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 857
Location: Staten Island, NY
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:02 am quote
awesome! Grease up that gear box!
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:19 am quote
swiss1939 wrote:
awesome! Grease up that gear box!
Took a whole .2 quarts. LOL
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:56 pm quote
Question: Is the clutch usually really grabby in first gear, or second? If not, what is that typically a symptom of?
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 4753
Location: So Cal
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:19 pm quote
Worn brass bush, worn thrust washer and/or broken springs in cush drive
Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1561

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:30 pm quote
JimVonBaden wrote:
charlieman22 wrote:
Jim, you do relize this is where gascooter writes a 4 page dissertation on welders right?



Bikes gonna be awesome once u de-stick and anti corode everything.

Judging from the pics of your garage - once done - scooter will spend many years in its happy place.
I usually take on these projects to flip, but I think I may keep this one.
I'm not opposed to anyone buying and flipping scooters, but it's very difficult to make very much money doing it in the States...especially with a P series. If it's a nice scoot to begin with, and you get it for a screaming deal, then you can make a couple bucks doing it. But if you get one that is a bit knackered and needs fixing up, you'll be spending a fair amount of money on replacing parts...especially once you crack open the engine! New bearings, a cruciform, new clutch, and replacing a few loose transmission gears (because the transmission keeps jumping out of gear) adds up super fast. Once you mess around with scooters for enough years, you tend to accumulate LOTS of spare parts...and once you do, then it makes it a little easier to fix up the beaters to sell for a small profit.

I'm not blessed with the art of making money by turning and burning anything with an engine, so I don't even give it a whirl.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:24 pm quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Worn brass bush, worn thrust washer and/or broken springs in cush drive
Thanks, so I should consider a new clutch pack and maybe more parts. Not an issue as I will order after teardown.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:25 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:
charlieman22 wrote:
Jim, you do relize this is where gascooter writes a 4 page dissertation on welders right?



Bikes gonna be awesome once u de-stick and anti corode everything.

Judging from the pics of your garage - once done - scooter will spend many years in its happy place.
I usually take on these projects to flip, but I think I may keep this one.
I'm not opposed to anyone buying and flipping scooters, but it's very difficult to make very much money doing it in the States...especially with a P series. If it's a nice scoot to begin with, and you get it for a screaming deal, then you can make a couple bucks doing it. But if you get one that is a bit knackered and needs fixing up, you'll be spending a fair amount of money on replacing parts...especially once you crack open the engine! New bearings, a cruciform, new clutch, and replacing a few loose transmission gears (because the transmission keeps jumping out of gear) adds up super fast. Once you mess around with scooters for enough years, you tend to accumulate LOTS of spare parts...and once you do, then it makes it a little easier to fix up the beaters to sell for a small profit.

I'm not blessed with the art of making money by turning and burning anything with an engine, so I don't even give it a whirl.
Meh, I rarely make significant money on my winter projects. I do them for fun, and hope to break even.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:23 pm quote
Received while I was in Tucson.



These should be much safer than my old rusty rims and ancient tires.

Not going on until I get ready to paint them, and the rest of the bike.

On a side note, these rims, tires, tubes, nuts and washers are about 3/4 the cost of just the front tire on my motorcycle, or 1/15th the cost of wheels and tires on my R1200GS.

This makes it much more fun to buy new, even if it adds to my potential losses when I sell.
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Posts: 1176
Location: Florence, OR
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:47 pm quote
Nice! Way cheaper to buy parts than on a motorcycle. I love that too....

So what color are you going to paint the rims?
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:11 pm quote
qascooter wrote:
Nice! Way cheaper to buy parts than on a motorcycle. I love that too....

So what color are you going to paint the rims?
Good question. My current plan is white and aqua green, or seafoam, so likely white. But I am not sure of the items going white versus green.
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:31 am quote
Registered it today, and ordered custom plate:
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 159
Location: Alexandria, VA
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:23 am quote
Worked a little more on the Vespa yesterday. I got all the lights working except the left rear. I can get it to work just jumpering to the contacts, and the hot contact works, but when I put it on, nothing. It seems the ground is bad, but even jumpering a ground to the cowl doesn't help. Needs more work.

A couple of questions:

Should this be capped on the carb box, and how many turns should it be? It is at 1 right now:



Also, on the gear selector box there is an open threaded hole. Is this just capped, or should there be something else in there?


It obviously had something there at one time? Maybe why my shifter is so hard to use?
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123Next
[ Time: 0.3394s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0969s) ][ Debug on ]