Setting up a tool roll for the glove box, ‘78 P125x
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Addicted
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Tue May 07, 2019 2:46 pm quote
Due to the age of my ‘78 P125x and that I don’t have much information on her past, and she’s close to 10,000 miles I want to pack some tools ‘just in case’. She has had some work and updating, before the rally last fall and came with some new cables that have not yet been installed but are waiting in the glove box.
I ride alone often and miles away from home, and often out of cell service, if there’s a dead spot, that’s where I’m probably riding. So, if I should need to do a cable replacement ‘on the road’ or a few other things, or just cuz I’m a worry-wort, does anyone running vintage has some ‘stock’ tools/items that go in that glove box before leaving home for more than a quick run?
I know I want wrenches to adjust the mirrors, I’m still fussing with getting the left side to suit me. I don’t expect to need the tools but my belief is that ‘Murphy’ leaves me alone far more when I prepare for problems than when I assume I won’t ever be ‘that person’.
Hooked
bare metal cafe racer
Tue May 07, 2019 3:24 pm quote
I discovered this while shopping for fasteners... Made in Germany so seems fitting for my build. Will replace the hex bits I don't need with ones I do.

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5081.jpg

Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Tue May 07, 2019 3:35 pm quote
You really don’t need to carry much to do most roadside fixes:

To replace clutch, throttle or gear cable:
-Screwdriver
-Needle nose pliers
-6mm, 7mm and 8mm open wrenches
-Spare pinch bolts
-Spare clutch cable
-Spare throttle cable

To replace a blown bulb:
-Screwdriver
-Spare bulb

To replace clutch:
-Screwdriver
-Clutch nut tool
-3/8 ratchet
-17mm socket
-Spare clutch
-Spare woodruff

To change tire, remove gas tank or change spark plug:
-Handy Vespa Tool

To adjust points:
-Screwdriver
-Piece of paper

To remove carburetor:
-Screwdriver
-Needlenose pliers
-Handy Vespa Tool

To remove rear shock:
-2 adjustable wrenches

A headlamp is a must in case you need to do repairs in the dark.
Hooked
1978 P150X; 1982 P200e
Tue May 07, 2019 4:41 pm quote
Here is what I keep in the glove box of my P:
- spare clutch cable
- cable nipple thing
- 4th hand tool (makes changing cable soo much easier)
- neeedle nose pliers
- wrench + sockets
- Allen keys set
- multiple head screw driver
- spare plug
- business card of towing service
- set of shop gloves in case of break down on way to work (would hate to get grease on the suit)
64 Allstate 62 Vbb 64 Li 77 Et3
Thu May 09, 2019 8:48 am quote
pheasant plucker wrote:
I discovered this while shopping for fasteners... Made in Germany so seems fitting for my build. Will replace the hex bits I don't need with ones I do.
Wera make great hand tools. I have a bunch of their screwdrivers that I use for my day job. Really can’t go wrong with anything they make. Love that little ratchet and bit set, I have one made by Wiha that’s nice but no sockets.
Hooked
Vespa 125GTR p125x p200
Thu May 09, 2019 12:26 pm quote
I carry
1L petrol can already premixed
Small metric Socket set
Plug Socket
Star and slotted screwdriver
Needle nose pliars
Bicycle type Allan key set
Spare Throttle and Clutch cable
Spare lamps
Spare plug
Latex gloves
the tools and spares are all wrapped up in an old towel (A towel is about the most massively useful thing a vespa rider can have)

I almost forgot a handful of spanners 5,6,7,8,10,11mm covers every nut on my scooter that I would want to change by the roadside.
Ossessionato
1980 P200E, 1974 Primavera, 04 Ninja 250
Thu May 09, 2019 12:38 pm quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
You really don’t need to carry much to do most roadside fixes:

To replace clutch, throttle or gear cable:
-Screwdriver
-Needle nose pliers
-6mm, 7mm and 8mm open wrenches
-Spare pinch bolts
-Spare clutch cable
-Spare throttle cable

To replace a blown bulb:
-Screwdriver
-Spare bulb

To replace clutch:
-Screwdriver
-Clutch nut tool
-3/8 ratchet
-17mm socket
-Spare clutch
-Spare woodruff

To change tire, remove gas tank or change spark plug:
-Handy Vespa Tool

To adjust points:
-Screwdriver
-Piece of paper

To remove carburetor:
-Screwdriver
-Needlenose pliers
-Handy Vespa Tool

To remove rear shock:
-2 adjustable wrenches

A headlamp is a must in case you need to do repairs in the dark.
you forgot the bbq beef box for an exhaust gasket fix
Ossessionato
Thu May 09, 2019 2:51 pm quote
Ha, yep (it’s still there btw). Also random piece of log for jack stand.
Addicted
Thu May 09, 2019 3:06 pm quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Ha, yep (it’s still there btw). Also random piece of log for jack stand.
Running the rural and river roads I can probably find that random piece of log, and thank you, all of you, the lists have some of the stuff I had though to pack and some that I had not yet thought of.
I am planning to get some JIS bits, the really cool set is above my budget right now, medical co-pays and furnace are getting $$ first, so I will ‘rob’ the tools I have now, make a tool roll and be ‘girl creative’ and use the embroidery feather on the sewing machine to label it and pack what I can spare/rob and replace as I can afford it. Plant is seeing shorter work days so that will cut into any extra $$ but I can add a piece at a time.
I know I ‘made out like a bandit’ when I won this vintage Vespa at last fall’s Missouri Loves Company rally, and since most of my raffle ticket $ went to buy my work team shirts (from prior rallies, leftovers) I only spent $10 on raffle tickets. She has 3 new tires, some upkeep, upgrades and I don’t think ever had a any amount of abuse or neglect. So, now I’m working on taking care of and riding and enjoying this treasure but for me, that means being able to go more than around my small town.
PX150E
Sat May 11, 2019 1:51 pm quote
ricky cantley wrote:
I carry
1L petrol can already premixed
Small metric Socket set
Plug Socket
Star and slotted screwdriver
Needle nose pliars
Bicycle type Allan key set
Spare Throttle and Clutch cable
Spare lamps
Spare plug
Latex gloves
the tools and spares are all wrapped up in an old towel (A towel is about the most massively useful thing a vespa rider can have)

I almost forgot a handful of spanners 5,6,7,8,10,11mm covers every nut on my scooter that I would want to change by the roadside.
Yes, this is probably the most inclusive list, aside from having a good, properly inflated spare tire, of course. My 1985 PX150 has 39000 + miles, and the only cable that ever broke on the road was the clutch cable, once. In 34 years, the only 2 other times that I needed roadside repairs were for tire punctures: once for the back, and once for the front.
Ossessionato
Sat May 11, 2019 2:41 pm quote
What are the Allen keys for?
Hooked
2001 LML 150
Wed May 15, 2019 2:00 pm quote
maggiegirl.. When you do any maintenance on your scoot try using just the toolkit you have onboard and see how you go. That'll give you a good idea on any extras you might need.
Addicted
Wed May 15, 2019 6:09 pm quote
Philos wrote:
maggiegirl.. When you do any maintenance on your scoot try using just the toolkit you have onboard and see how you go. That'll give you a good idea on any extras you might need.
Dulce has been through several states and owners before 30 Days Scooter Gang got her for the last rally so there’s not much tools left, ok, there’s 1. And some new cables from 1 of the sponsors. I am a bit concerned about the amount of space where the clutch cable hooks into the hand lever, think that looks a bit worn. And I don’t know which cables were changed and which have a new cable in the glove box. I know I need to check them all over better before going any farther than walking home distance. I am still tweaking the mirrors to get them to suit me, so that’s a 17 mm wrench/scanner. I have new tires and a new spare, but hope to not need to do any emergency tire changes away from home, but want to be able to if needed. I worry less if I feel a bit prepared, old woman, 41 year old scooter. . .
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.5629s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0827s) ][ Debug on ]