The Elettrica has arrived in the US
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Sponsor
Wed May 08, 2019 10:01 am quote
Got in 4 pre-sold Elettricas yesterday, just got them prepped, ready to roll.

They look real sharp. Ride nice. So quiet and smooth. Saw a 31mph top speed.

IMG_3248.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

Hooked

Wed May 08, 2019 10:12 am quote
Out-the-door cost?

Cost of replacement battery?
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Wed May 08, 2019 10:22 am quote
Electrica
Quanto Costa?

Super urban alternative. What is the price point (ball park)?

Bob Copeland
Frost Bite Falls Minnesota
40 degrees and raining today may turn to snow.
Sponsor
Wed May 08, 2019 10:24 am quote
MSRP is $7499, final taxes and fees will vary by state and dealer.

should never need a new battery...should easily last the life of the vehicle, but since you asked new batteries are $3800. About the same price as a replacement Vespa gas engine.

Our experience with other EV motorcycles is the battery is one of the most reliable parts on them. Zero rates theirs for 300k miles, and there are many 500k+ and a few million mile Teslas still on the original battery. A scooter will not rack up miles like that, especially at 31mph.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Wed May 08, 2019 10:31 am quote
Cool, but 31 MPH top end - no thanks.

BMW with the C Evolution has it right. Piaggio releasing this model is great but why not something more similar to the GTS or Beverly?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Wed May 08, 2019 10:50 am quote
Sharp-looking indeed. Would love to give one a spin....
Hooked

Wed May 08, 2019 10:56 am quote
AF1 Racing wrote:
should never need a new battery...should easily last the life of the vehicle, but since you asked new batteries are $3800. About the same price as a replacement Vespa gas engine.

Our experience with other EV motorcycles is the battery is one of the most reliable parts on them. Zero rates theirs for 300k miles, and there are many 500k+ and a few million mile Teslas still on the original battery. A scooter will not rack up miles like that, especially at 31mph.
Additional battery context . . ZEV FAQ's (no Vespa affiliation)

Disclosure:
ZEV has been around since 2006, but it does appear that the founder will be a guest at one of the federal "extended stays" for a few months.
Ossessionato
Wed May 08, 2019 11:18 am quote
tortoise wrote:
AF1 Racing wrote:

Additional battery context . . ZEV FAQ's (no Vespa affiliation)

Disclosure:
ZEV has been around since 2006, but it does appear that the founder will be a guest at one of the federal "extended stays" for a few months.
6 months? Please that is barely a spanking and that would be with a pillow to soften the blow. It certainly will not have any negative effects on the performance of the batteries. It's not great but shouldn't;t play in to whether someone buys one of these or not. Worst case obviously is if something goes wrong with the batteries and there is a recall and no company left. That would be Piaggio's problem though.
Hooked

Wed May 08, 2019 11:37 am quote
Re: The Elettrica has arrived in the US
AF1 Racing wrote:
Is the charge plug compatible with 110/120 volt U.S. outlets . . and what is the approximate charge time at those volts?

Does the Certificate Of Origin show the motor watts . . if so how many?
Sponsor
Wed May 08, 2019 1:37 pm quote
tortoise wrote:
AF1 Racing wrote:
Is the charge plug compatible with 110/120 volt U.S. outlets . . and what is the approximate charge time at those volts?

Does the Certificate Of Origin show the motor watts . . if so how many?
looking to be around a 8hr for a full charge on 110v. They arrived with around 25% and have taken about 6 hrs to charge fully.

Yes, setup for 110v charging only. Cord extends out of the scoot. You do have to park pretty close to an outlet within say 2-3 feet.

EDIT : MSO states 4.7 Bhp, aka brake horsepower. The motor is 3.5Kw rated with a 4kw burst.

Last edited by AF1 Racing on Wed May 08, 2019 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Wed May 08, 2019 1:46 pm quote
AF1 Racing wrote:
Yes, setup for 110v charging only. Cord extends out of the scoot. You do have to park pretty close to an outlet within say 2-3 feet.
Unless you happen to have a 110V extension cord rated for the power draw of the battery charger (available just about anywhere).
Hooked

Wed May 08, 2019 1:57 pm quote
AF1 Racing wrote:
4kw output
All depends on individual state stipulations . . but if 4,000 watts is on the Certificate of Origin, may not be compliant for MOPED registration. For example, Nevada has a 1500 watt moped limitation.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Wed May 08, 2019 2:32 pm quote
I ogled one of these while emptying my wallet at Motoplex in Milan last week. They look fantastic in the flesh.
Sponsor
Wed May 08, 2019 2:36 pm quote
saw 32mph down a giant hill...

an extension cord would work, but it MUST be thick enough to handle the load. The shorter the better too.

Carrying that would also cut into the storage space, leaving room for only the smaller pets....
Sponsor
Wed May 08, 2019 3:35 pm quote
tortoise wrote:
AF1 Racing wrote:
4kw output
All depends on individual state stipulations . . but if 4,000 watts is on the Certificate of Origin, may not be compliant for MOPED registration. For example, Nevada has a 1500 watt moped limitation.
edited our answer...MSOs arrived today

EDIT : MSO states 4.7 Bhp, aka brake horsepower. The motor is 3.5Kw rated with a 4kw burst.

Doesn't matter in Texas....we're plating them all as motorcycles here. Same rules, same licenses
Ossessionato
Wed May 08, 2019 5:30 pm quote
AF1 Racing wrote:
saw 32mph down a giant hill...

an extension cord would work, but it MUST be thick enough to handle the load. The shorter the better too.

Carrying that would also cut into the storage space, leaving room for only the smaller pets....
Would a hamster still fit? That and an exercise wheel hooked up to the drive train could help speed it up Pretty sure it would still qualify as green energy.
Hooked
1980 P200E in progress, 2005 Stella 2T
Wed May 08, 2019 6:13 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Cool, but 31 MPH top end - no thanks.

BMW with the C Evolution has it right. Piaggio releasing this model is great but why not something more similar to the GTS or Beverly?
I'm with you. That price point is too steep for me even if it went 80mph. If I'm spending that money, it better be getting ridiculous range/miles per charge to offset the gas cost within two years. I'm talking 200+ miles range. The HD livewire is even worse! Over three times as expensive with 110 miles range which is probably much less! When HD announced the details of it, I laughed and cried at their refusal to admit where the ideal market/price point is for this type of stuff. Their sales are declining, not for any other reason than the market for $20-30K toys is much smaller than the market for $4-10K commuters.

But then again, I'm not the target audience for new expensive bikes! I pick other peoples scraps up! One can dream though....
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (SOLD)
Wed May 08, 2019 8:06 pm quote
I'm feeling a bit contrary today.

I thought manufacturers liked electric vehicles because they are cheaper to produce. I.e. no complex ICE(Internal Combustion Engine) and ancillaries.

Yet ALL electric variants are more expensive than there "normal" counterparts.

That being said I'm still wrestling with the economics of hybrids.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Wed May 08, 2019 8:58 pm quote
waspmike wrote:
I thought manufacturers liked electric vehicles because they are cheaper to produce. I.e. no complex ICE(Internal Combustion Engine) and ancillaries.

Yet ALL electric variants are more expensive than there "normal" counterparts.
EVs are more expensive to build at this point because of the cost of the batteries. And only one or two vehicle manufacturers make their own. Everyone else buys them from 3rd parties.

Last edited by Dooglas on Fri May 10, 2019 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
Douglas 92L2/Bajaj Chetak/GS150 VS5
Thu May 09, 2019 4:30 am quote
As much as I love Vespa and sure the Electrica is a handsome looking machine I just want something better (and cheaper!) from the company which basically invented the motor scooter as we know it!

My next scooter will definitely be electric due to my relatively short commute and the appeal of a zero maintenance motor and I have been investigating tons of various models - big list here: https://www.e-scooter.co

The Vespa doesn't even come up on my want list due to many companies having far superior products in terms of speed, range and charging speed -
The Niu NGT: https://www.niu.com/en/n-gt/ and Gogoro for a start: https://www.gogoro.com/smartscooter/s-performance/s2/cafe-racer/

I wish Piaggio would design their e-Vespa from the ground up rather than being a derivative of an existing model - it's a blank canvas so they could design something totally new like they did in 1946!

Cheers,
Rog
Hooked
1980 P200E in progress, 2005 Stella 2T
Thu May 09, 2019 4:44 am quote
Now if this became available, or if Royal Alloy did one.. and either of them sold in USA, I might consider it (for the right price).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKBDwxFp9KM
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Thu May 09, 2019 8:35 am quote
Electric Vehicles - Not Ready For Prime Time
Waspmike,

I agree with you. The increased cost of the vehicle is prohibitive and does not cover or justify the savings in not using fuel. In my opinion, this also applies to cars. Further, the smaller displacement scooters get super miles per gallon.

The economy of scale in producing these E Vehicles is not in a position to make them cheaper. This same cost issue prevents more environmental friendly applications all over the market place.

Optimistically, technical breakthroughs will eventually crack this nut.

Again, Not Ready For Prime Time Yet.

Bob Copeland
Still Cold in Frost Bite Falls Minnesota
Gilera Runner 50 and Honda PCX 125
Thu May 09, 2019 11:03 pm quote
True Vespa is running even after 40 years. Will this one too?

- electric engine failed more then 100 years ago in cars and bikes for a reasons and they did not change

- it has nothing with eco, green, whatever and same eg. with Tesla (if you're clever enough to account ALL of the parts and processes involved in making such vehicle)

- 8 hours charging for vehicle in which you're expected to "hop on" anytime and just drive

- 31mph top speed from downhill? It's total non-sense in USA with its wide long roads even in cities with limits like 40, 45 and such when you can't use bicycle roads like in NL. Same is true in Europe except of very specific and low number of smaller villages

- price ? Really? Electric is cheaper and blabla arguments and boom this price.

- taxes. Look in Norway and their so called electric paradise. Politicians and companies around the world use them as example how to do it. The problem is they use years old info and data when reality of owning electric car or even thinking to buy one is far from ideal and is getting worse and worse. What else to expect where major of the city call other citizens nuts by not going to work on bicycle (or something "eco") when she has it 10 minutes to work on perfect bicycle roads where most of the others travel everyday 50 and more kilometers by train, cars, boats

- small HINT for everyone. Look at the status of lithium and other resources needed to build these things, especially batteries. I mean their levels available in various states, estimated reminds, prices on market, political situation and how it looks not only around those mining areas. You will quickly realize that 2 stroke engine is way more eco then this
Hooked
-----2006 LX 150-----
Fri May 10, 2019 2:07 pm quote
cruisin for a bruisin
At 31mph I would have to ride in the bike lane.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Fri May 10, 2019 5:58 pm quote
Reveal
Can we get some pics of whats under the pet carrier?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 / GT60 (X2)/ ET4 (X2)/ ET2/ 78 P200/ 67 Sprint/ 09 GTS/ 03 Ruckus/ 13 946/ 16 Prima 70/ 15 Sprint
Fri May 10, 2019 6:04 pm quote
We’ve sold 3 so far and all are thrilled. One client dropped off his Primavera 150 for service and rode his new Elettrica home 24 miles. He called us back and said he absolutely loves it.

Cool stuff.

SDG
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Sat May 11, 2019 5:46 am quote
Plate
Wow puffybodie, you're really not a fan are you ?

With less moving parts you could argue that it may be last longer than the mechanical version..

I think that it's a good place to start and higher speeds and further ranges will come in time.

Be patient.

Bill x
Hooked
Vespa Dealer
Sat May 11, 2019 3:19 pm quote
Elettrica
Uncrated our first and prepped today.
Took it our for a road test and OMG!
It accelerates like a 150cc
hopefully we'll see future models do over 50km/h limited speed.
Resident Grump
MAC motor 2WD. 30 Oct 2006
Sat May 11, 2019 5:49 pm quote
AF1 Racing wrote:
MSRP is $7499, final taxes and fees will vary by state and dealer.

Battery repair, rebuild, and new build vendors are popping up across the country. Batteries are not to be feared. There is a growing infrastructure.
Resident Grump
MAC motor 2WD. 30 Oct 2006
Sat May 11, 2019 5:56 pm quote
Re: Plate
Bill Dog wrote:
Wow puffybodie, you're really not a fan are you ?

With less moving parts you could argue that it may be last longer than the mechanical version..

I think that it's a good place to start and higher speeds and further ranges will come in time.

Be patient.

Bill x
Eggs Ackley! Sometimes gassers sound like our great grandparents railing against the horseless carriage. <wink>
Hooked
Douglas 92L2/Bajaj Chetak/GS150 VS5
Mon May 13, 2019 6:08 am quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Now if this became available, or if Royal Alloy did one.. and either of them sold in USA, I might consider it (for the right price).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKBDwxFp9KM
Yep, would definitely be interested in the electric Scomadi!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Mon May 13, 2019 6:37 am quote
puffybodie wrote:
True Vespa is running even after 40 years. Will this one too?

- electric engine failed more then 100 years ago in cars and bikes for a reasons and they did not change

- it has nothing with eco, green, whatever and same eg. with Tesla (if you're clever enough to account ALL of the parts and processes involved in making such vehicle)

- 8 hours charging for vehicle in which you're expected to "hop on" anytime and just drive

- 31mph top speed from downhill? It's total non-sense in USA with its wide long roads even in cities with limits like 40, 45 and such when you can't use bicycle roads like in NL. Same is true in Europe except of very specific and low number of smaller villages

- price ? Really? Electric is cheaper and blabla arguments and boom this price.

- taxes. Look in Norway and their so called electric paradise. Politicians and companies around the world use them as example how to do it. The problem is they use years old info and data when reality of owning electric car or even thinking to buy one is far from ideal and is getting worse and worse. What else to expect where major of the city call other citizens nuts by not going to work on bicycle (or something "eco") when she has it 10 minutes to work on perfect bicycle roads where most of the others travel everyday 50 and more kilometers by train, cars, boats

- small HINT for everyone. Look at the status of lithium and other resources needed to build these things, especially batteries. I mean their levels available in various states, estimated reminds, prices on market, political situation and how it looks not only around those mining areas. You will quickly realize that 2 stroke engine is way more eco then this
Cars were a lot more expensive than a horse and wagon when cars were intruduced too
As more get made the lower the price goes. And the price of batteries is a major cost.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Mon May 13, 2019 6:45 am quote
My hunch is the next time I'm in Amsterdam, where the taxis are often Teslas and you can ride a 50cc scooter in the bike lane, we'll see a bunch of these.

I mean, it's not like Vespas exactly ever sold like hot cakes here in North America anyway, and your average Harley comes in at 2-3x that price.

And $8,000 is chump change for many in Amsterdam or, say, Paris or Berlin...Tokyo...Seoul....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, S 150, GTS 250
Mon May 13, 2019 8:26 am quote
Beautiful scooter but way out of my price range!
Ossessionato
Mon May 13, 2019 8:45 am quote
tdrake wrote:
My hunch is the next time I'm in Amsterdam, where the taxis are often Teslas and you can ride a 50cc scooter in the bike lane, we'll see a bunch of these.

I mean, it's not like Vespas exactly ever sold like hot cakes here in North America anyway, and your average Harley comes in at 2-3x that price.

And $8,000 is chump change for many in Amsterdam or, say, Paris or Berlin...Tokyo...Seoul....
$8,000 is not chump change for me but sure I could afford this without having to eat Kraft Dinner every day for a year. However NOT INTERESTED . I was at the dealer last week and I asked Lou when he was going to get it. He said "you're standing next to it" . I looked over for about 5 seconds and that's about as much attention as I will give it. I guess there is a market for it but not for people like me and many here that love riding faster than parking lot speeds. Why could Piaggio do something that is only marginally better than the little e-bikes you see in the bike lanes. I'm sure the build quality is Vespa but why did they not do a GTS or BV with battery power? BMW has proven you can do it and scooters are not their forte. Piaggio should be the leader in this market and hopefully this is just the beginning. A battery powered GTS with decent range would sell like... well a battery powered GTS. I'm sure there are plenty that would pay a few thousand more for one and lose pet carrier space if needed for battery.

[/rant]
Enthusiast
2019 Primavera 150 Touring
Mon May 13, 2019 8:48 am quote
My constant speed on my road bike is about 27mph lol. I usually ride an hour or so on weekends. Not worth the price for this scooter.
Hooked

Mon May 13, 2019 9:12 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
A battery powered GTS with decent range would sell like... well a battery powered GTS. I'm sure there are plenty that would pay a few thousand more for one and lose pet carrier space if needed for battery.
Appears to be all about battery capacity . . .

Ossessionato
Mon May 13, 2019 10:06 am quote
tortoise wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
A battery powered GTS with decent range would sell like... well a battery powered GTS. I'm sure there are plenty that would pay a few thousand more for one and lose pet carrier space if needed for battery.
Appears to be all about battery capacity . . .

Of course it is. If BMW can do this (see pic) Piaggio I'm sure could do something. In a Vespa form factor... yeah maybe that would be hard, very hard. However Piaggio could do an electric line and hopefully that is in the works. They could do something that still looks Vespa-like and performs as well as their 150CC lineup. That I think would be a much more viable solution and sell.

2017-bmw-c-evolution-2.jpg

eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Mon May 13, 2019 10:08 am quote
Poles
Interesting how BMW have gone big and Vespa have gone small.

Bill x
Ossessionato
Mon May 13, 2019 10:22 am quote
Re: Poles
Bill Dog wrote:
Interesting how BMW have gone big and Vespa have gone small.

Bill x
Good point. Vespa seems to be focusing on the putter around town market while BMW seems to be focusing on the urban commuter and someone with an M class license that knows how to ride.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.3123s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0632s) ][ Debug on ]