help with busted brake light
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Hooked
1974 Vespa Primavera 125, 1980 Bajaj Chetak
Wed May 08, 2019 10:12 am quote
I'm having an issue with the brake light on my 74 Primavera and I'm hoping to get a little direction about where to look.

- bike has a 12V Vespower conversion
- brake light was working fine and then it wasn't
- brake light does not work with both the front and rear brake switches
- replacement bulb did not fix issue
- checked the connections in the tail light itself but didn't find anything amiss

I'm doubting it's a switch issue as the problem occurs with both switches. Where else should I be looking? Thanks!

Shannon
Enthusiast
1979 P200E
Wed May 08, 2019 10:55 am quote
Do you have a voltmeter/multimeter you can take to it? I'd start probing for voltage, probably starting from the actual bulb socket. I'd also maybe check the amperage at the battery for a parasitic drain in case you got a short, maybe.
Ossessionato
1980 P200E, 1974 Primavera, 04 Ninja 250
Wed May 08, 2019 12:53 pm quote
throw us a link to the wiring diagram you followed on the conversion so we can help you get started. it's unclear if that's a dc or ac system and how you should begin starts with the basics.
Hooked
1974 Vespa Primavera 125, 1980 Bajaj Chetak
Wed May 08, 2019 7:40 pm quote
Octobogs wrote:
Do you have a voltmeter/multimeter you can take to it? I'd start probing for voltage, probably starting from the actual bulb socket. I'd also maybe check the amperage at the battery for a parasitic drain in case you got a short, maybe.
I have one but need help getting that done (easier when someone's there to hold the brakes). I'll do that and get back.

12V conversions usually dont have a battery - at least mine doesn't.
sdjohn wrote:
throw us a link to the wiring diagram you followed on the conversion so we can help you get started. it's unclear if that's a dc or ac system and how you should begin starts with the basics.
Vespower is an AC system that pulls power straight off the stator. Didnt use a wiring diagram, as the wiring diagram assumes that you have a specific wiring harness installed and idk what's in mine. The 12V upgrade was one of the first things I did, so I've had it installed and running well for about a year and a half.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2492s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0428s) ][ Debug on ]