Plastic housing damaged along side - Replacement?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Hooked
MP3 500
Thu May 09, 2019 6:58 pm quote
Can you guys look at this and tell me if I need to replace either the metal side panel or the lower front plastic housing around the parking brake.

The picture of from the inside the housing looking up at the attachment points.

The video is of the outside showing where to two parts connect.

[/img]

http://sendvid.com/lyzmc57h
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Fri May 10, 2019 6:46 am quote
Depends what is broken and how pretty you want the bike to be...

I replaced the inner leg shield on my mp3 500, and it was a massive job- I couldn't even reach a couple of the screws so I just broke them off and didn't replace them on the new one. So if you don't mind a few scratches, I'd stay away from that.

It looks like the metal tab mounting point may be a bit bent, or displaced. Plus it looks like a crack in the painted part. I can't tell if any of the little hook tabs are broken off, but those can be glued back on with ABS cement. If it were me, I'd just take off the side panel, fix it with some ABS cement, figure out what's bent on the metal frame and straighten it, then just slap it back together and ride.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Fri May 10, 2019 11:53 am quote
looks like the tabs are broken .
there are a lot of 500's that have tabs broken.

you can order a new panel

you can fabricate your own tabs and with plastic weld them or 2 part epoxy weld them or rivet them on.
Hooked
MP3 500
Fri May 10, 2019 3:32 pm quote
How difficult is it to remove the panels? And are we talking about the metal glossy side panel (A) or the rougher plastic panel (B) that would have the broken clips?

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Mon May 13, 2019 7:03 am quote
The upper, side panel (A) is easy-peasy. I'm not completely sure, but I think it's just remove the three screws. I'm not totally sure but there might be another screw under the front piece, in which case the front needs to be dissasembled as well. Maybe 30 minutes of work, max. I wouldn't recommend plastic welding this ABS piece- just get sewer pipe cement from the home store and back the repair with a piece of window screen or fiberglass. Epoxy and most other glues won't stick. It's ABS and ABS cement is the right way to fix it; the repair melts into the original and it's just as strong (stronger if you reinforce it) as the original.

The leg shield (B) is much more difficult. You need to remove all of the front plastic, then remove the seat and the side panels with the back footrests and the floorboard metal, then the lower panels, then the center console around the gas tank, then the handlebar cover, then the dash, finally the leg shield with the emergency brake slot will come out. If it isn't broken too badly, I'd just leave it. For me, it was 3 days of work to replace that one particular piece of plastic (I had a frozen parking brake cable, so I had to remove it anyway, so I might as well replace it).
Hooked
MP3 500
Mon May 13, 2019 12:34 pm quote
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm gonna go back underneath with a flashlight and see if I can tell what piece is the issue, since as you explained, if it's the top piece than that's much much easier.

If it's the bottom, I'll most likely just leave it because it's not a huge issue.

But the ease for taking off the upper and side panels is good to know since I'm looking at getting them vinyl wrapped, and can just bring in the pieces and not the whole bike.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Mon May 13, 2019 2:33 pm quote
I vinyl wrapped my whole bike in color-changing purple- MP3 500. It was pretty easy after a couple of mistakes. The most important thing is to get high-quality vinyl, Avery or 3M. Clean everything completely before trying to wrap. Go slow and stretch and pull and release to get it flat- lots of you-tube videos show the technique. On inside corners and details, add a line of the adhesive stuff so it doesn't pull away. Don't worry about stuff that doesn't show. Use a hair dryer or heat gun (on low!) to shrink it if you get a wrinkle you just can't stretch out.

I did my whole bike for $50 worth of vinyl, with extra for making mistakes. I think I got 5' by 5'. Buying the cheap Chinese stuff will be a recipe for frustration. Good luck and be sure to post pictures!
Hooked
MP3 500
Mon May 13, 2019 3:35 pm quote
Thanks, that's a very affordable fix, I'll check out Youtube.
Enthusiast
Gilera Fuoco
Tue May 14, 2019 8:33 am quote
Most of the panels on my Fuoco have broken tabs and fixing posts - some of them I have replaced with home-made metal brackets, the others, I have fixed with a hot-melt glue gun.

You can get Black glue sticks that have a higher melting point than the standard clear one's, and they set much harder and are perfect for the job.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.7704s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1629s) ][ Debug on ]