Prepping the VBA for body work
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
VBA
Thu May 09, 2019 9:56 pm quote
While the rain today kept me from doing all the jobs around the house that I should be doing, I stripped the VBA down to send off for blasting and priming. It was surprisingly fast. Nothing seized, nothing bent.
The body is in really good shape. Only the floors need any real work. My brother in-law is a panel beater who restores Italian cars, so heíll be doing the body work.
VBA
Thu May 09, 2019 9:59 pm quote
Photos arenít uploading now. Iíll give it another go later.
VBA
Fri May 10, 2019 1:22 pm quote

Hooked
2001 LML 150
Fri May 10, 2019 1:36 pm quote
Wow.. looks like a great frame. Can't wait to see the progress. Maybe I'll even get to see it in person one day!
Enthusiast
1972 Vespa GTR, 1963 Lambretta LI 125
Fri May 10, 2019 1:42 pm quote
Nice work.

In picture 2, what is the hole for at the bottom below the horn cast?

Why would someone cut that in?
VBA
Fri May 10, 2019 1:50 pm quote
L4NFF wrote:
Nice work.

In picture 2, what is the hole for at the bottom below the horn cast?

Why would someone cut that in?
The story I got was that it was to access the inside of the frame to paint it. This scooter lived its previous life as a run-around bike at the Port of Melbourne docks. The whole thing has many many layers of paint brushed over it, including the tunnel. It looks like crap, but itís preserved everything better than the Tollund man.
VBA
Fri May 10, 2019 1:56 pm quote
Philos wrote:
Wow.. looks like a great frame. Can't wait to see the progress. Maybe I'll even get to see it in person one day!
Thanks Philos. Once itís finished I do want to ride it a lot, but Iím not sure how the 8Ē wheels would go on the freeway to Melbourne. On a non-scooter note, I grew up in Melbourne, moved to Geelong 5 years ago and commuted back to Melbourne for work before getting a local job this year. After 10+ hours a week of traffic jams, If I never see the Westgate bridge again it will be to soon.
Hooked
'63 VBB2T - '18 300 GTS Super Notte
Fri May 10, 2019 2:09 pm quote
Nice frame!
Whatís the speed limit on a freeway over there? Iím allready scared on the highway on my GTS300, would never dare to get on the highway on my VBB
Hooked
2001 LML 150
Fri May 10, 2019 2:29 pm quote
Tyson wrote:
Philos wrote:
Thanks Philos. Once itís finished I do want to ride it a lot, but Iím not sure how the 8Ē wheels would go on the freeway to Melbourne. On a non-scooter note, I grew up in Melbourne, moved to Geelong 5 years ago and commuted back to Melbourne for work before getting a local job this year. After 10+ hours a week of traffic jams, If I never see the Westgate bridge again it will be to soon.
Ohh yikes.. Geelong freeway on 8 inch wheels??!!??.. strictly for the insane I think

Nice spot down there for owing a scoot though. Lovely little road along the coast you have at your back door and getting around Geelong would be cool too I imagine.

Ha.. yeah I used to do a commute From Carlton to Avalon Airfield for a year way back in the 80's.. A bit on the dull side to say the least. 10x more traffic now though of course to keep everyone stressed as well...

Anyway.. looking good on the Vespa front. Nice winter project.
Hooked
'63 VBB2T - '18 300 GTS Super Notte
Sat May 11, 2019 1:53 am quote
Philos wrote:
Tyson wrote:
Philos wrote:
Nice winter project.
This cracks me up every time
We are cleaning up the garden and bbq to prepare for summer!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Fri May 17, 2019 7:52 pm quote
Frame looks basically pretty damn good Tyson!
Looks like it has the usual corroded cable conduit.

While I do ride on the freeway a bit, I'm not entirely comfortable except in a group. You're just not obvious enough I think, but that's nothing to do with stability or lack of it.

However you can do it on 8's. Well set up they can feel pretty much as stable as a 10" scooter...especially as there's less likelihood of potholes on the freeway. An upgrade of brakes and rims would not go astray though.
Hooked
74 v90/100 smallframe, 1974 primavera 125 (getting there), 80 P200E,
Fri May 17, 2019 9:26 pm quote
speedy 8ís
Freeway speeds on 8ís are possible. I know because Iíve followed behind SoCal lately and had to catch up to him on my P.
2019 Fall Gathering - September 12 - 15, Hungry Mother State Park, Marion, VA   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2939s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0704s) ][ Debug on ]