Will a Stock P200 Battery Power an LED Headlight?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Fri May 10, 2019 10:19 am quote
I am looking at LED sealed beam headlights and understand that they must be powered with DC, rather than AC. So I am thinking about disconnecting the purple AC wire that leads to the High/Low switch then replacing it with a keyed DC wire so the headlight will run off the battery. I was also thinking about re purposing the thumb on/off switch as an on/off for the headlight. Will this work or am I going to have a dead battery in a few miles?

Thanks.
Molto Verboso

Fri May 10, 2019 11:05 am quote
I'm not to sure Rick. In the past, most everyone either "floats" the ground on the Stella or the newer PX150 scooters to get a full wave DC system. Nowadays it's getting more popular to just install a new SIP Vape stator that has full DC output. With the older P series, my research showed me that there wasn't a good way of converting them over to DC.

What i read about running DC power directly from the battery, the battery couldn't keep up powering the HID/DC headlights, and it would slowly be drained.

I did a short "project report" on installing an AC to DC converter on my non-battery PK125 last year. It was super duper simple. Maybe that's the answer for you too?

PK125 XL disc brake and LED headlight conversion
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2186s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0446s) ][ Debug on ]