Had the chance to see new Vespas today
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Fri May 10, 2019 3:20 pm quote
Unfortunately, all I could do was see them, and sit on one. All were brand new and not available for demo rides. When I told the dealer that while I find the Vespa intriguing, I was not about to spend $8,000 on a scooter that I could not even decide if I enjoyed riding, he said he'd call me when he had a demo available. I think I will try to find other dealers, even if I have to travel a bit, but will call first to see if they will let me ride one. I would have been happy just riding a used one, even if with a smaller engine than what I am interested in, but there was not a single used Vespa on the showroom floor or elsewhere. I guess that speaks well of Vespa's.
Enthusiast
GTS 300
Sat May 11, 2019 4:19 am quote
The dealer wouldn't let you take any scooter for a test ride? Very odd... I'd don't imagine many people purchasing any motor vehicles without a test ride. Not to say it doesn't happen. I'd say try another dealer if possible.
Sat May 11, 2019 4:29 am quote
The dealer I went to is the closest to where I live, but I have looked online and found several dealers within a 90 minute drive time. I plan on calling each and inquiring about a demo ride.

An interesting sidelight to all of this. My wife has never been enthusiastic about motorcycling, but has ridden as a passenger with me for the last several decades. When I told her that I visited a Vespa dealership, and showed her pictures of the new Vespas, she said that she really hopes I buy one of these because it looked liked something she would enjoy riding herself. It almost convinced me to just buy one right now and not even wait for a demo ride!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Sat May 11, 2019 4:34 am quote
When I bought my new 2007 LX150, the dealer wouldn't allow test rides. I was told they had too many riders hitting stuff or dropping them.
Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
Sat May 11, 2019 4:38 am quote
GoldwingMan wrote:
An interesting sidelight to all of this. My wife has never been enthusiastic about motorcycling, but has ridden as a passenger with me for the last several decades. When I told her that I visited a Vespa dealership, and showed her pictures of the new Vespas, she said that she really hopes I buy one of these because it looked liked something she would enjoy riding herself. It almost convinced me to just buy one right now and not even wait for a demo ride!
Sounds to me that you might be buying two.....
Addicted
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Sat May 11, 2019 4:40 am quote
Re: Had the chance to see new Vespas today
GoldwingMan wrote:
Unfortunately, all I could do was see them, and sit on one. All were brand new and not available for demo rides. When I told the dealer that while I find the Vespa intriguing, I was not about to spend $8,000 on a scooter that I could not even decide if I enjoyed riding, he said he'd call me when he had a demo available. I think I will try to find other dealers, even if I have to travel a bit, but will call first to see if they will let me ride one. I would have been happy just riding a used one, even if with a smaller engine than what I am interested in, but there was not a single used Vespa on the showroom floor or elsewhere. I guess that speaks well of Vespa's.
Where in IL are you located? I ride and if you have a valid license and insurance I would sure be willing to let you try out my rides, since I have a couple, we could ride a bit, swap rides and give you a chance to try out a couple different Vespa models. Other area riders might be willing to do the same, but most of us would want to ride with you, so it would take 2 bikes/scooters and I’m not willing to ride your GoldWing, too heave a bike for me to want to hold up at a stop.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Sat May 11, 2019 4:53 am quote
Quite often around here, the "No test rides" for new bikes rule is the normal way. Some dealers will let you test a used version if they have one. Away from this NY/NJ area rules are relaxed and people are nicer.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Sat May 11, 2019 5:09 am quote
It's all right to call around to other dealers, but do give the first one another chance to find a demo for you. You're more likely to get a test ride if you come back and show you're serious about buying a scooter, not just looking.
Sat May 11, 2019 5:12 am quote
If I strike out on finding a dealer that can let me take a demo ride, I may take you up on the offer to ride one of your scooters. I truly appreciate your generous offer to do so, but I would rather not put anyone to the inconvenience of such an offer if possible.

Not so many years ago I had a Honda Silverwing, but that bike is more like a traditional motorcycle than it is a scooter. A long, long time ago I had a Honda Elite 150, and I fondly remember what a fun ride that scooter was. Even without a demo ride I am pretty confident that a new 300cc Vespa would be even better than that Honda almost 40 years ago.

I also understand the reluctance many would have to riding a Goldwing. It is an amazing vehicle, but one that really needs to be gotten used to. I went from a 500 pound cruiser to a 750 pound cruiser and then to the 920 pound Goldwing, so the weight did not seem overwhelming. Once underway, the huge Goldwing handles like a sportbike, but I will admit that coming to a stop and putting a foot down to make sure the bike stays upright can sometimes seem a challenge, especially when riding two up. Realistically, I probably will find the Goldwing to be too much to handle not so far into the future since I'm already almost 76, and maybe having a Vespa in the garage will be my best way to continue to ride on two wheels without worrying about the weight. I hope I have at least 10 more good years of riding left in me, and maybe more. My hero is that Italian 92 year old that was featured on YouTube last year who rides a Suzuki Haybusa every day.
Sat May 11, 2019 5:17 am quote
"but do give the first one another chance to find a demo for you. "

I did ask this dealer to call me as soon as he had a Vespa that I could ride, whether new or used. He took my name and phone number and promised he would call me, but seemed surprisingly uninspired when doing so.

And while I'm here on the forum, what might I expect would be a "good deal" in terms of discount off the list price. With freight, set up, sales tax and other charges, the new GTS came to a list price of about $8,500. Not being ready to buy that moment I did not talk price with the dealer but I'm assuming that it would be reasonable to expect to get a price less than that full amount.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Sat May 11, 2019 5:51 am quote
You won't find much of a discount on a new Vespa anywhere. Vespas just aren't sold that way. Even used Vespas keep their value pretty well; you'll spend more for a Vespa than another brand.
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Sat May 11, 2019 6:19 am quote
don't know where in Northern IL you are but I am in a northern Suburb of Chicago and when I bought my Vespa I went to 2 places to check them out and both were very happy to let me try them. There is one in Chicago, and one just over the border in Lake Geneva. Test riding in Lake Geneva was very nice as the dealer is in a fairly quiet area, almost no traffic, so very nice for trying out a new machine. As this was my first venture into PTW's, except my course, it was a great place to take a test ride. Both dealerships were very nice to deal with. Hope this helps. Good luck.

As far as a discount they do not do much on Vespas, I got a bit off of mine as I bought a 2012 just after the 2013's had come out and they had a couple 2012's they wanted to move, sort of like buying a car when the new ones come out, but still did not get much off.
Sat May 11, 2019 6:25 am quote
Thanks. I will call Scoot Jockeys and see if I can get a demo ride. Looking forward to it.
Enthusiast
GTS 300
Sat May 11, 2019 6:53 am quote
That's so crazy about the demos. I'm new to the scooter world, guess it's different than cars. My Vespa dealer set me up on a tea ride, on a new Scoot, actually the one I purchased. Spoke to him once, told him what I wanted, and I was good to go.

Great community here, people letting others try their rides, always very helpful and accommodating.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Sat May 11, 2019 8:43 am quote
Skootin wrote:
That's so crazy about the demos. I'm new to the scooter world, guess it's different than cars.
Well, it is certainly different in one way. Many potential scooter buyers have never ridden a scooter before. Darned few car buyers have never driven a car before . It is understandable that scooter dealers, especially Vespa dealers, are cautious. A drop in the parking lot can easily be a couple thousand in damages. Whether a dealer allows a test drive varies from dealer to dealer, but it has always seemed to me that it is partially a matter of how serious the dealer thinks you are and if he knows you. Test rides are usually not an issue for regular customers. My dealer calls me when he has a new model in.
Enthusiast
GTS 300
Sat May 11, 2019 9:13 am quote
Makes sense. Even if people have a motorcycle license they are still wary? I know there are a lot of tire kickers out there but I'd imagine it still makes it difficult to sell without test rides. I guess I was fortunate. Plus, I was definitely a serious buyer, had some knowledge of what I wanted, and was ready to buy. There was no way I was leaving without a scooter. I even took a Lyft there. My dealer did make me sign a waiver, and paperwork that I was responsible for any damages I caused.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sat May 11, 2019 12:27 pm quote
I’ve only had a test ride on two of the seven PTW I bought new. No test ride on any of the Vespas but I did get a test ride on the Honda CRX and Genuine Buddy. The Buddy dealer would allow test rides if you had a full motorcycle license otherwise your tray ride would be as a pillion. You also had to sign to purchase if you damaged it. I knew I was buying the first GTS with or without a test ride. I had sat on the BV 500s before I bought one and already had the Scarabeo 500 with the same engine and similar ergonomics. The BV 350 was for my son and he’d had a chance to ride a friends. My first ride was when I picked it up and rode it back to Houston during which ride I was definitely impressed by its handling better than the 500s will very close to the same performance.

If you haven’t ridden a scooter lately especially not a traditionally styled one then hopefully the dealer in Lake Geneva will have one you can test ride. They seemed like a good dealership when I had them do an oil and tire change last time Amerivespa was held there.
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Sat May 11, 2019 12:36 pm quote
Smiles
Tray Ride ?

That sounds like fun !

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Mon May 13, 2019 9:33 am quote
I showed up with $6,000 in my pocket and asked for a test ride when I bought my BV350. Told them if I like it I will ride it home, it not they get to keep it. The scooter had gas and a tag in 5 minutes..
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Mon May 13, 2019 9:51 am quote
GoldwingMan wrote:
YEAH! A new rider!!! It never ceases to amaze me how people or partners who've ridden but had zero interest in operating a bike see or ride on a vespa and then want to have their own (Or look into something like the Buddy's or some other small frame)
Mon May 13, 2019 1:00 pm quote
Arranged for a test ride tomorrow. Looking forward to riding a Vespa. But I can foreesee if it goes well that I will eventually have to buy a second one for my wife.
Enthusiast
2018 300 GTS Super
Mon May 13, 2019 3:24 pm quote
I was going to suggest trying to find a rental outfit that offers Vespa's so you could take one for the day but I see you found a test ride.

This past December I was able to get a brand new 2018 for $1k off as they got in a few after they had already started selling 2019's. Hard to get a deal on a brand new current year model but since the 18's and 19's are virtually identical I jumped at the chance.

Have fun tomorrow and hopefully they'll cut you a deal on two!
Addicted
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Mon May 13, 2019 4:59 pm quote
Great news about the test ride and actually it’s not an inconvenience here to go riding with someone, LOL or to let someone interested in buying a Vespa ride 1 of my ‘herd’ before buying.
And I like it that your wife is looking at the Vespa as something she would enjoy running herself. I am clearly of the opinion more of us women need to run our own scooters and not just be passengers on the back.
It looks like our weather might actually improve some, this weekend was good for hiding in my studio with Netflix and sewing projects...
Let us know how the test ride goes.
Enthusiast
GTS 300
Tue May 14, 2019 6:33 am quote
Sacto Monkeyboy wrote:
GoldwingMan wrote:
YEAH! A new rider!!! It never ceases to amaze me how people or partners who've ridden but had zero interest in operating a bike see or ride on a vespa and then want to have their own (Or look into something like the Buddy's or some other small frame)
My girl has been telling me for years she wanted a Vespa. I was never interested. She bought a Sprint 50, I took it for a ride, and instantly fell in love.

Have fun today Goldwing, and post pics of your new ride (slim chance you won't love it and leave without one)!!
Tue May 14, 2019 2:43 pm quote
Had my test ride on a 2019 GTS. I really enjoyed it. A very different experience than riding my Goldwing. I can see there are a few things I will have to get used to. At first, when slowing down, out of habit I pulled in the rear brake, i.e. "clutch" on a motorcycle as I would downshift. Made for a few abrupt moments. Plus I pick up my feet when starting out, reaching with them for pegs and it takes me a few moments to put them on the "floor". I love the manuverability of the scooter. I know speedometers read faster than real speed, but I had it up to 70 so quickly it surprised me, and it felt like it could go much faster if I pushed it.

What may be the deciding factor is that my wife, who has never really showed interest in riding a motorcycle, said that if we buy the Vespa, she would want me to teach her to ride so that she could get her own license. The seat seemed a bit high for her, but maybe a suspension adjustment would help with that.

I told the dealer I need to think about it, but I think tomorrow I will call him and see what his best offer is. The scoot has about 300 miles on it, but looks brand new and he immediately said he would knock $600 off because it is a 2019 and has some mileage. When I didn't jump at it, he said he could do better. When I call him I will tell him that I want a windscreen added, and then want to know his best "out the door" cash price. Hopefully in the next few days I will join the Vespa family! And maybe soon I will have the pleasure of going for a ride with my wife on the Vespa, and me on the Goldwing. That will be really special.
MP 3
Tue May 14, 2019 3:45 pm quote
70 on a test ride?
Unless you were on an interstate that's pretty heavy handed.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Tue May 14, 2019 4:04 pm quote
G192127 wrote:
70 on a test ride?
Unless you were on an interstate that's pretty heavy handed.
Huh? Who said he wasn't and besides this thread isn't to judge his riding habits. Going 70 on a GTS 300 is hardly going to hurt it.

Let's assume he took it out on a country road or interstate. If I was stepping down from a bigger bike I sure as hell would want to know what the tiny Vespa is capable of.

This is exactly why you can't easily say the abbreviation for all the gear all the time here...... If no babies are involved and no one is hurt (OK maybe the rider) we are not in a position to judge. Assume everyone is an adult and takes their own risks.

GoldwingMan glad you enjoyed the ride My wife and a friend of hers are taking their course in about a month and one of the fastest (non HPE) Vespas in Toronto will be hers to ride whenever she wants to.
Addicted
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2012 GTV 300 Espresso, 1956 VL3
Tue May 14, 2019 7:01 pm quote
I’d recommend the mid size Vespa brand Windscreen.
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Wed May 15, 2019 7:00 am quote
Congrats on the successful test ride. I have been riding for over 5 decades, mostly road bikes (9 Harleys, 4 Goldwings, a couple BMWs, and others). My wife has had her own bikes, but we have ridden 2-up from time to time. Six years ago, she suggested a pair of scooters... I couldn't imagine that. Of course, since you are reading this here, you can see how that went. We have truly been enjoying the scoots.

While getting a new tire on her scoot, we had occasion to ride 2-up on my GTS... she was appalled at the passenger peg situation: uncomfortable for her and a constant banging of heels and toes between us. A set of passenger peg extenders will eliminate that issue. I'd suggest you put that on your accessories list right off the bat.

Since we are no longer doing cross country rides, the scoots are perfect for the kind of riding we enjoy - don't miss the big bikes at all. Easy, fun, and still plenty entertaining through the Twisties.

Enjoy!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Wed May 15, 2019 7:05 am quote
Captain Jim wrote:
While getting a new tire on her scoot, we had occasion to ride 2-up on my GTS... she was appalled at the passenger peg situation: uncomfortable for her and a constant banging of heels and toes between us. A set of passenger peg extenders will eliminate that issue. I'd suggest you put that on your accessories list right off the bat.
We only occasionally ride two up so I've been reluctant to spend the $150-200 for peg extenders but $49 for ones from Amazon that might not be quite as heavy duty as the SIP/ScooterWest ones have now been ordered thanks to another thread here. One thing that convinced me to add them was the comment that unlike the SIP ones the ones from Amazon don't interfere with OEM crash bars. Since they will go on the scooter that I will probably use in the 2020 cannonball that will be important.
MP3 400, BV 350

Sun May 19, 2019 3:06 pm quote
Test riding
I was looking for a Piaggio but I looked at the other local motorcycle shop. When I asked an employee about a test ride, she asked if I was a serious buyer or was I just wanting a joy ride. I assured her that most 50 year old riders do not “joyride”. I returned to my regular shop and purchased,y Beverly 350.

843B2BAE-92A9-480E-88EE-2DF576354273.jpeg

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Sun May 19, 2019 5:25 pm quote
GoldwingMan wrote:
Arranged for a test ride tomorrow. Looking forward to riding a Vespa. But I can foreesee if it goes well that I will eventually have to buy a second one for my wife.
Worse things have befallen people, y'know.
bron60 wrote:
I was looking for a Piaggio but I looked at the other local motorcycle shop. When I asked an employee about a test ride, she asked if I was a serious buyer or was I just wanting a joy ride. I assured her that most 50 year old riders do not “joyride”. I returned to my regular shop and purchased,y Beverly 350.
You'd think most people would get this about most of us over-45ers by now, yes?
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.3115s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0473s) ][ Debug on ]