OP
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
I know, sounds like whining, but tank removal is one of those jobs I am really sick of doing on my PX150.
Can you just use 2 wrenches and remove/replace the shock from its spacer above ?

Anyone tried that yet?

TIA
UTC

Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)

Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)
UTC quote
Can't you access the nut from the inside of the frame just by pulling the tank up a bit (without taking it all the way out)?
OP
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
yackee wrote:
Can't you access the nut from the inside of the frame just by pulling the tank up a bit (without taking it all the way out)?
I doubt it. The last time I changed the shock, the top shock nut inside the frame was way back there.

I am thinking that holding the spacer while unscrewing the shock (once detached from lower mount) might do it.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

118 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

118 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
You could, in theory, do it without pulling the tank, but only if the shock comes out of the mount buffer without issues.
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Wrecked '61 VNB '65 Allstate '74 Rally 200

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
Wrecked '61 VNB '65 Allstate '74 Rally 200
UTC quote
Just pull the damn tank.
@fatbear5 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1977 P200, 1980 P200

Molto Verboso
@fatbear5 avatar
1977 P200, 1980 P200
UTC quote
I did this on my P200 last month and even with the tank out and resting on the frame, it was a damned difficult job. There is very little room to manipulate your hands, but that's probably still the best way to do it.
OP
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
Fatbear5 wrote:
I did this on my P200 last month and even with the tank out and resting on the frame, it was a damned difficult job. There is very little room to manipulate your hands, but that's probably still the best way to do it.
Well, I did a "dry run" this morning. The shock can be accessed on top with either 2 open ended 14mm wrenches or one wrench and a 14mm crow foot attached to 3/8" Drive extensions and ratchet. However, I am thinking that after 34 years, it would be a good idea to also replace the rubber block mount above the shock, as well; doing this will necessitate the tank removal, anyway.

My rubber block seems to be in perfect condition, but I might as well replace it, as the rubber deteriorates with age.
I will also replace the front shock and rubber spacers as well for a complete fresh suspension.
OP
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
Fatbear5 wrote:
Well, I did a "dry run" this morning. The shock can be accessed on top with either 2 open ended 14mm wrenches or one wrench and a 14mm crow foot attached to 3/8" Drive extensions and ratchet. However, I am thinking that after 34 years, it would be a good idea to also replace the rubber block mount above the shock, as well; doing this will necessitate the tank removal, anyway.

My rubber block seems to be in perfect condition, but I might as well replace it, as the rubber deteriorates with age.
I will also replace the front shock and rubber spacers as well for a complete fresh suspension.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0342s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0085s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]