Fortnightly checks
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Hooked
GTS 300ie Touring
Joined: 03 Jun 2018
Posts: 263
Location: Limassol, Cyprus
Sun May 12, 2019 3:00 am quote
Here are the checks I try to do on my GTS every 2 weeks:-

Battery - Test with voltmeter the reading for A) Engine Off, B) Engine Running, C) Throttle partially open (3000 rpm), at the same time check that the battery leads have not worked lose.
Coolant level
Engine oil level
Hub (Transmission oil) level
Tyre pressures (top-up if required), visual inspection for wear, cuts and any abnormalities
Lights - Running lights, low and high beam, brake and number plate lights
Indicator lights
Horn

Plus visual underneath inspection for stone chips, rust spots and lose wires (especially around the rear light cluster)

I find the whole procedure only takes around 20 minutes. I know things like the transmission oil don't need checking this regularly, but I think it might as well be done as part of my maintenance routine.

Any suggestions for improvement?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8213
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Sun May 12, 2019 6:02 am quote
That's an impressive list. To be honest, about all I do is check engine oil and, well, possibly coolant. You've put me to shame.

The only thing you might add that I can think of is checking brake fluid levels....
Addicted
2, aprillia scarabeo light. 500. 2007 2009
Joined: 29 Apr 2018
Posts: 575
Location: North central florida.
Sun May 12, 2019 6:28 am quote
Oil and tires, lights , mainly brake light. Each of these about every two weeks unless going out of town any distance. Never had a problem.
Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Posts: 1977
Location: London
Sun May 12, 2019 7:13 am quote
Tyres I can understand, oil perhaps, the rest sounds more like paranoia.
Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 175
Location: Texas
Sun May 12, 2019 7:23 am quote
Re: Fortnightly checks
Touring300 wrote:
Here are the checks I try to do on my GTS every 2 weeks:-

Battery - Test with voltmeter the reading for A) Engine Off, B) Engine Running, C) Throttle partially open (3000 rpm), at the same time check that the battery leads have not worked lose.
Coolant level
Engine oil level
Hub (Transmission oil) level
Tyre pressures (top-up if required), visual inspection for wear, cuts and any abnormalities
Lights - Running lights, low and high beam, brake and number plate lights
Indicator lights
Horn

Plus visual underneath inspection for stone chips, rust spots and lose wires (especially around the rear light cluster)

I find the whole procedure only takes around 20 minutes. I know things like the transmission oil don't need checking this regularly, but I think it might as well be done as part of my maintenance routine.

Any suggestions for improvement?
Good list!
I have a windshield so I check those fasteners and brackets, too. Also the movement stripes on the clutch nut and wheel bolts.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 8119
Location: New Hampshire
Sun May 12, 2019 7:27 am quote
NSR but years back, I knew a guy who was a pilot for Braniff International Airways. I happened to be in Texas on business, so I looked him up. I went to see him and the discussion turned to airline maintenance.

I asked him how well the President's plane, Air Force One, was maintained. He replied that a commercial airplane is safer because of the scheduled maintenance. Whereas, Air Force One is constantly being tinkered with and the engines are torn down much more often than a commercial plane. He added that every time a mechanism is taken apart and then reassembled, the human factor is very important. The more times the task is repeated, the more chance for human error can occur.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 36949
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sun May 12, 2019 7:31 am quote
robinm wrote:
Tyres I can understand, oil perhaps, the rest sounds more like paranoia.
My feeling too.

No point testing the battery unless you suspect it or the charging system is faulty - it'll let you know when this happens.

Coolant and engine oil get checked at the recommended service intervals or thereabouts. Likewise belt and rollers - don't tell me these should be checked every two weeks...

Hub oil? Set and forget.

Tyre wear gets glanced at when approaching the scooter anyway.

Tyre pressure is the one to keep remembering to check, but again I notice the handling suffering before the pressure gets wildly out of kilter.

Indicator lights don't need testing as the tally lamp will flash double-quick if a bulb has blown.

If you've done the indicator beeper mod with the sound muted when the brake light is on, then that tests the brake light for you.

The horn gets tested at least once a week in traffic anyway.

That said, if I'm going on a long trip away from home then the whole bike gets checked over, with maybe an early oil or belt change depending on the length of the trip ahead.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 7704
Location: Houston, TX/Breckenridge, CO
Sun May 12, 2019 7:40 am quote
Iím more like JimC, check at recommended intervals. I try to check tire pressure often and especially if it has been sitting but handling tells me if it is off within a block. I will check lights and occasionally the horn. I also check mirrors since Iíve had scoots where they tended to loosen on their own but carry a wrench to tighten as needed.
Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 175
Location: Texas
Sun May 12, 2019 7:54 am quote
Way Wrong
NightWing wrote:
NSR but years back, I knew a guy who was a pilot for Braniff International Airways. I happened to be in Texas on business, so I looked him up. I went to see him and the discussion turned to airline maintenance.

I asked him how well the President's plane, Air Force One, was maintained. He replied that a commercial airplane is safer because of the scheduled maintenance. Whereas, Air Force One is constantly being tinkered with and the engines are torn down much more often than a commercial plane. He added that every time a mechanism is taken apart and then reassembled, the human factor is very important. The more times the task is repeated, the more chance for human error can occur.
Your friend was not correct. I spent 40 years in aviation, as a USAF crew member and trained flying safety officer. Commercial aircraft are maintained to a schedule with two considerations: Make money (maximize time in the air generating revenue) and don't kill anybody; it's largely a post mortem approach. Commercial airlines (and regular line military aircraft) defer and delay maintenance all the time under waivers; I guarantee any commercial aircraft you fly on will have pages and pages of maintenance squawks waiting for time or cycle compliance milestones. They're safe to fly, but not generously so. Air Force One (and the 89th Airlift Wing fleet), on the other hand, are maintained to a much higher standard by the highest qualified crews and contractors in the USAF. If there's any question about a component, it's replaced. Cost is no object. Granted, the sample size is not comparable (a dozen or so medium time military aircraft vs thousands of commercial airliners), but how many VIP military aircraft do you ever hear about crashing? Ron Brown's aircraft in Dubrovnik, maybe? And that was a chain of bad decisions in bad weather at a difficult and poorly maintained airport environment (been there, done that).
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS 'Ruby Roo'
Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Posts: 3056
Location: London UK
Sun May 12, 2019 7:57 am quote
robinm wrote:
Tyres I can understand, oil perhaps, the rest sounds more like paranoia.
Got to agree with robinm here. Just very basic checks on my daily rider. Like Jimc, tyres are checked as you walk up to the bike (or in my case unlock the chains). Most other things give a little warning before anything catastrophic occurs. Maybe daily commuters are more used to the feel of their rides and thus can sense most issues this way. I don't want to say you are paranoid because I am not familiar with your exact situation, over cautious maybe?

In any case it doesn't do any harm to check so do what makes you happy
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 8119
Location: New Hampshire
Sun May 12, 2019 8:24 am quote
Re: Way Wrong
25BIKEZ wrote:
NightWing wrote:
NSR but years back, I knew a guy who was a pilot for Braniff International Airways. I happened to be in Texas on business, so I looked him up. I went to see him and the discussion turned to airline maintenance.

I asked him how well the President's plane, Air Force One, was maintained. He replied that a commercial airplane is safer because of the scheduled maintenance. Whereas, Air Force One is constantly being tinkered with and the engines are torn down much more often than a commercial plane. He added that every time a mechanism is taken apart and then reassembled, the human factor is very important. The more times the task is repeated, the more chance for human error can occur.
Your friend was not correct. I spent 40 years in aviation, as a USAF crew member and trained flying safety officer. Commercial aircraft are maintained to a schedule with two considerations: Make money (maximize time in the air generating revenue) and don't kill anybody; it's largely a post mortem approach. Commercial airlines (and regular line military aircraft) defer and delay maintenance all the time under waivers; I guarantee any commercial aircraft you fly on will have pages and pages of maintenance squawks waiting for time or cycle compliance milestones. They're safe to fly, but not generously so. Air Force One (and the 89th Airlift Wing fleet), on the other hand, are maintained to a much higher standard by the highest qualified crews and contractors in the USAF. If there's any question about a component, it's replaced. Cost is no object. Granted, the sample size is not comparable (a dozen or so medium time military aircraft vs thousands of commercial airliners), but how many VIP military aircraft do you ever hear about crashing? Ron Brown's aircraft in Dubrovnik, maybe? And that was a chain of bad decisions in bad weather at a difficult and poorly maintained airport environment (been there, done that).
He expressed his opinion on probability of an issue due to human intervention. The price of parts wasn't mentioned. The frequency of parts being removed, handled, repaired or replaced was his point. Again his opinion, of which every one is entitled.
Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 175
Location: Texas
Sun May 12, 2019 8:35 am quote
Re: Way Wrong
NightWing wrote:
25BIKEZ wrote:
NightWing wrote:
NSR but years back, I knew a guy who was a pilot for Braniff International Airways. I happened to be in Texas on business, so I looked him up. I went to see him and the discussion turned to airline maintenance.

I asked him how well the President's plane, Air Force One, was maintained. He replied that a commercial airplane is safer because of the scheduled maintenance. Whereas, Air Force One is constantly being tinkered with and the engines are torn down much more often than a commercial plane. He added that every time a mechanism is taken apart and then reassembled, the human factor is very important. The more times the task is repeated, the more chance for human error can occur.
Your friend was not correct. I spent 40 years in aviation, as a USAF crew member and trained flying safety officer. Commercial aircraft are maintained to a schedule with two considerations: Make money (maximize time in the air generating revenue) and don't kill anybody; it's largely a post mortem approach. Commercial airlines (and regular line military aircraft) defer and delay maintenance all the time under waivers; I guarantee any commercial aircraft you fly on will have pages and pages of maintenance squawks waiting for time or cycle compliance milestones. They're safe to fly, but not generously so. Air Force One (and the 89th Airlift Wing fleet), on the other hand, are maintained to a much higher standard by the highest qualified crews and contractors in the USAF. If there's any question about a component, it's replaced. Cost is no object. Granted, the sample size is not comparable (a dozen or so medium time military aircraft vs thousands of commercial airliners), but how many VIP military aircraft do you ever hear about crashing? Ron Brown's aircraft in Dubrovnik, maybe? And that was a chain of bad decisions in bad weather at a difficult and poorly maintained airport environment (been there, done that).
He expressed his opinion on probability of an issue due to human intervention. The price of parts wasn't mentioned. The frequency of parts being removed, handled, repaired or replaced was his point. Again his opinion, of which every one is entitled.
Absolutely. I completely agree you can "over maintain" something. My history of worn fasteners and rounded bolts is proof positive. It just doesn't apply to Air Force One. Take care.
Hooked
GTS 300ie Touring
Joined: 03 Jun 2018
Posts: 263
Location: Limassol, Cyprus
Sun May 12, 2019 8:51 am quote
I think age should be taken into consideration. The only reason I thoroughly check the battery and tyre wear every 2 weeks is that my scooter is now 6 years old and I am very conscious that these 2 consumables are coming to the end of their effective life and will soon start to degrade.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 36949
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sun May 12, 2019 8:57 am quote
If the tyre's six years old then I can understand keeping an eye on its condition. I don't think I've ever had a rear tyre more than eighteen months old, maybe three years for a front.
Hooked
GTS 300ie Touring
Joined: 03 Jun 2018
Posts: 263
Location: Limassol, Cyprus
Sun May 12, 2019 9:07 am quote
jimc wrote:
If the tyre's six years old then I can understand keeping an eye on its condition. I don't think I've ever had a rear tyre more than eighteen months old, maybe three years for a front.
It's a very low mileage scoot, 1100 miles from new!
Hooked
2006 LX 50
Joined: 16 Jun 2017
Posts: 388
Location: Warren MI
Sun May 12, 2019 9:31 am quote
I make sure mine starts when I hit the button, and there's fuel in the tank. The headlights get checked when I see the reflection in the car in front of me. The turn signals are checked when I signal and the flash occurs at the proper rate. Everything else is checked when I'm completely bored.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8213
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Sun May 12, 2019 9:40 am quote
Even for a good "pre-flight" I'd take coolant oil down to a less frequent interval...kind of a PITA to open up the cover for one.... Hub oil even less often....pretty much to recommended intervals.

Battery, well, watching it at the end of it's life might be worth it. Terminals easy enough once you're there....

I really should check my lighting more regularly...
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 36949
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sun May 12, 2019 12:03 pm quote
I should add to my list - brake pads. Dead easy to 'eyeball' (on a GTS at least) - and both myself and Mrs jimc go through rear brakes at a rate of knots. So they get looked at every time I top up the tyre pressure.
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 319
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Sun May 12, 2019 8:54 pm quote
Re: Fortnightly checks
Touring300 wrote:
Here are the checks I try to do on my GTS every 2 weeks:-

Any suggestions for improvement?


OCD therapy...?

Seriously, it is admirable.
I check tire pressure when I gas up and oil once a month.
(I carry top-up with me)
I check water once every 2-3 months or before a longer ride than my usual commute.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10589
Location: Oregon City, OR
Sun May 12, 2019 9:58 pm quote
Impressive list. I personally check tire pressure and engine oil every couple of weeks. Other items less frequently.
Hooked
PX 150
Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 254
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Mon May 13, 2019 2:41 am quote
I donít believe you are doing yourself a favor by removing and then reinstalling your gearbox fill plug every 2 weeks. I would worry about how long the threads in the case will last with that frequency.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5524
Location: New Zealand
Mon May 13, 2019 2:53 am quote
apex wrote:
I donít believe you are doing yourself a favor by removing and then reinstalling your gearbox fill plug every 2 weeks. I would worry about how long the threads in the case will last with that frequency.
I'd say the same for engine oil. If it's not leaving a puddle or blowing blue smoke there's not much to worry about.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 6586
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon May 13, 2019 3:07 am quote
znomit wrote:
apex wrote:
I donít believe you are doing yourself a favor by removing and then reinstalling your gearbox fill plug every 2 weeks. I would worry about how long the threads in the case will last with that frequency.
I'd say the same for engine oil. If it's not leaving a puddle or blowing blue smoke there's not much to worry about.
You would have to be buring a LOT of oil to see it coming out of the exhaust of a vehicle with a Catalytic Convertor.
Ossessionato
2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max), 2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 1965 Lambretta Li 125
Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Posts: 4018
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Mon May 13, 2019 3:18 am quote
Lets see:

Six years is approximately 2200 days.

With 1100 miles on the scooter, that is 1/2 mile every day, or 15 miles per month.

So you check all of these things every 7 1/2 miles.

Seems excessive to me.

Bill
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 15850
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
Mon May 13, 2019 3:25 am quote
Over
Each time I ride any distance I check the tyres and oil.

Just tyres and oil..........

I now have time for an interlude.

Bill x
Member
2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Posts: 43
Location: Houston
Mon May 13, 2019 3:51 am quote
Happy to now know what a fortnight is. Good comments all. I need to go check my tire pressures. Thanks for the reminder!!
Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Posts: 1977
Location: London
Mon May 13, 2019 4:00 am quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Six years is approximately 2200 days.

With 1100 miles on the scooter, that is 1/2 mile every day, or 15 miles per month.

So you check all of these things every 7 1/2 miles.
Was going to comment the same thing but I thought it might sound a little too mischievous coming from me. On the plus side, if you just ignore doing those checks, you get 20 * 24 minutes back a year. A whole 8 hours. That's almost enough time for decent ride to somewhere.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4645
Location: Downtown Toronto
Mon May 13, 2019 4:03 am quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Lets see:

Six years is approximately 2200 days.

With 1100 miles on the scooter, that is 1/2 mile every day, or 15 miles per month.

So you check all of these things every 7 1/2 miles.

Seems excessive to me.

Bill
I've got to agree with Bill on this. I check tire pressure once in a while. I bring my bikes in at the recommended intervals for service and have never had an issue. If I feel there might be an issue I let the dealer know or drop by. BMW and Vespa dealers are both downtown and so am I so it's easy.

However if this makes then sure go for it. The point about potentially stripping the threads from excessive removal is a good one though. You can checking the threads to your list

I rids A LOT for an urban dweller so the service intervals come up pretty quick even with the 2 scoots.
Addicted
Vespa GTS Super
Joined: 24 Jul 2014
Posts: 528
Location: London
Mon May 13, 2019 4:42 am quote
Fortnightly checks
I check its still there in the morning
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 15850
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
Mon May 13, 2019 4:48 am quote
Sight
That's really funny.

Good Man.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8213
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Mon May 13, 2019 6:06 am quote
I include a check to be sure the oil dipstick is snug.

You too, WLeuthold?
Ossessionato
2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max), 2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 1965 Lambretta Li 125
Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Posts: 4018
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Mon May 13, 2019 11:37 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
I include a check to be sure the oil dipstick is snug.

You too, WLeuthold?
It is now!

Too bad not doing this cost me a good engine.
Harbinger wrote:
I rids A LOT for an urban dweller so the service intervals come up pretty quick even with the 2 scoots.
I get to those service intervals frequently with even more scooters than that.

With a 2500 mile ride coming up this week, the new Xmax will be needing its second back tire and a new belt when I return.


Bill
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.4983s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0651s) ][ Debug on ]